🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Pizza Hut Robbery suspect killed by employee with gun.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
There are several things about this story that I want to discuss. I would like to begin by posting the first link, the link to the news story of the robbery. I am going to outline the story first, and then offer my commentary.

NC Pizza Hut worker uses own gun to kill armed robber, police say

According to the initial reports, the robbery suspect, Michael Grace Jr. was armed when he tried to rob the Pizza Hut. One of the employees was armed, and shot Grace Jr. in the head. I do not know, and none of the news stories say if that was the only wound that the suspect had. It was enough to see the 29 year old Grace Jr. killed. The news stories do not say multiple wounds, and for the moment, until some information comes out that corrects the impression, I am going to continue as if this was the only wound. I think that the news would have said multiple wounds.

The grieving parents like all parents who see their child die, are demanding to know why. Why was the employee armed. Why did the employee shoot their son in the head. I don’t blame the parents for these questions. They are in mourning over the loss of their son, and for that, I sympathize with them. Truthfully, I am very sorry for their loss. I don’t like to see anyone die. I don’t want their son to die any more than anyone else. However, Michael did this on his own, he went into it with his eyes open, aware that he could be killed when he started this. He may have believed arrogantly that no one would touch him, but he had to know what the risks were.

Parents of NC Pizza Hut robbery suspect question why worker fatally shot their son

Now, to the commentary.

First, I believe it is the right of every living creature to defend itself against attack. Nothing in nature tells a victim that they must submit to the assault. Even the pacifist Buddhist Monks believed in self defense. Rabbits will kick and scream and try to get away when the Coyote is attacking them.

So I do not blame the employee who was armed. I believe that employee was well within his rights to defend himself.

So what observations do I have? Several. First, for the anti gun people, a defensive use of firearms. But there is more than that. Again, assuming that the one wound to the head was all there was, and I believe that was the case, the defensive shooter did not just keep shooting until the magazine was empty.

This is what I believe should happen. You shoot until the threat is down. Stop shooting then. Stop shooting. In the 1970’s the standard for shootings was called “shoot, shoot, assess”. That means you fired two rounds, and took a moment to see if the baddie was still up, and still a threat. You assessed the situation to see if you had done enough. Today, the standard is shoot, shoot some more, and then keep shooting. The FBI is going to switch back to 9MM because the pistols hold more ammunition, so they can shoot some more.

The shooter in this case appears to have done it just like most civilians do. He got a good sight on the target, and put a round where it counted. He did not keep shooting in a panic, he fired and then examined the target to see if he had to shoot again.

The armed robber did not target the police, he targeted the supposedly defenseless public. The parents believed that the public should have been defenseless. I absolutely support the right of every single being to defend themselves. That is without any consideration of race, creed, or gender. I am sorry that Michael is dead. Mr. and Mrs. Grace, you have my sympathy, and my wish that God grant you solace in your time of mourning. Perhaps the death of your son will inspire some other young man who is contemplating a similar path to find another way. I honestly wish Michael was still alive. I wish he had chosen another path. I wish he had gone another way with his life.

I will not condemn the man who defended himself. I will use it as an example of what a justified shooting is. The other guy was armed. Notice that he didn’t think the baddie was armed. He didn’t think oh he might have a gun, he could have a gun. The gun was out, and obvious. That is another thing.

I don’t believe a shooting can ever be justified if the person shot is unarmed. I was afeared for my life, is never enough absent any supporting evidence, like a gun in the hands of the baddie.

I'm curious as to whether Pizza Hut permits its employees to carry on site. If so, kudos to them.

I, too, hope that the authorities conclude that the employee was justified in defending himself against an armed robber.

Since capital punishment, for all intents and purposes, no longer is actually practiced in our country, some individuals do not fear punishment for violent crimes.

If more employees neutralized such individuals, perhaps other individuals would think twice before engaging in such violent behavior.

Forum List

Back