police arrest,assault family for refusing to open home for stakeout.

Guess the nazis deleted our replies...fuck ya. Every state needs a law like Indiana has to allow citizens to shoot cops if they threaten their home or self.

An example of this occurred on 9-11 in the area of ground zero and police commandeered numerous businesses and churches to treat the wounded and act as command posts

That was after a clear state of emergency.

Sorry but there was no emergency in this case.

These cops colluded to storm this guy's home after he denied their request.

There is absolutely no reasonable analogy to 9/11

Sounds to me like an open-and-shut case of...
Armed home invasion.
Assault with a dangerous weapon.
Kidnapping.
Unlawful imprisonment.
Conspiracy to commit all of the above.

Throw the book at them!

Not really.

Even for a few hours, the government does not have the right to come in and take your property from you for any reason outside of illegal activity (of the property owner). I own my home, not the government.

I believe in the case of imminent danger or emergency they do have that right

The Straight Dope: Can cops really commandeer cars?

The Supreme Court has upheld the federal government's power to commandeer private property but imposed strict limits. In United States v. Russell, the court noted:

Extraordinary and unforeseen occasions arise, however, beyond all doubt, in cases of extreme necessity in time of war or of immediate and impending public danger, in which private property may be impressed into the public service, or may be seized and appropriated to the public use, or may even be destroyed without the consent of the owner . . . but the public danger must be immediate, imminent, and impending, and the emergency in the public service must be extreme and imperative, and such as will not admit of delay or a resort to any other source of supply, and the circumstances must be such as imperatively require the exercise of that extreme power in respect to the particular property so impressed, appropriated, or destroyed.

are you actually claiming that is the case here?

please tell me you are not.

He probably IS, actually...he just isn't all that bright.

Maybe they were trying to establish a position where they had a "Tactical Advantage" on a potentionally violent neighbor

Oops! They were

Not good enough.

If they could not get a warrant to arrest the neighbor that's their problem.

This man had absolutely no obligation to open his home to the cops for their surveillance.

None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

The cops had no right to forcibly enter his home without a warrant.

None. Zero. Zip .Nada.

This guy has an open and shut case.

And isn't ironic that the cops here were the ones causing physical harm to an innocent man so they could maybe possibly sometime in the near or distant future stop some other guy from causing physical harm to someone else?

We shall see when the facts come out

Police obviously thought they had an emergency on their hands

Yes, they did...they had a clear case of contempt of COP!

av0ZmoM_460sa.gif

I'm told this incident took place in Las Vegas, NV, which is just 17 miles from Henderson, NV. So it seems the police in that part of America have a very different orientation from that of the rest of the Nation's police. More like the old KGB.

I don't know what the subject of that vicious attack did but he seemed fairly passive. What the cop did could have caused serious injury -- even death if the subject's head hit the pavement. And because there were two cops, such a viciously aggressive attack was absolutely unnecessary.

I believe in the case of imminent danger or emergency they do have that right

The Straight Dope: Can cops really commandeer cars?

The Supreme Court has upheld the federal government's power to commandeer private property but imposed strict limits. In United States v. Russell, the court noted:

Extraordinary and unforeseen occasions arise, however, beyond all doubt, in cases of extreme necessity in time of war or of immediate and impending public danger, in which private property may be impressed into the public service, or may be seized and appropriated to the public use, or may even be destroyed without the consent of the owner . . . but the public danger must be immediate, imminent, and impending, and the emergency in the public service must be extreme and imperative, and such as will not admit of delay or a resort to any other source of supply, and the circumstances must be such as imperatively require the exercise of that extreme power in respect to the particular property so impressed, appropriated, or destroyed.

are you actually claiming that is the case here?

please tell me you are not.

He probably IS, actually...he just isn't all that bright.

Do you have any information that it was not an emergency or eminent danger situation?

Do you know of the criminal record of the neighbor they were investigating and whether he was a threat of violence?

More information about this outrageous incident here:

Henderson police believed family was sharing their movements with suspect | Las Vegas Review-Journal

And here:

Henderson, North Las Vegas police named in 3rd Amendment suit - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Allowing for the predictable level of exaggeration by police it is becoming increasingly clear these Henderson NV cops were acting out a power fantasy occurring in their collective minds, because nothing they are accusing the Mitchells of doing comes close to justifying what they did. And even if a local Nevada court sees fit to dismiss the Mitchells' lawsuit I would wager that an appeal to a federal court will produce a much different result, because it does indeed seem the Third Amendment and the civil rights of the Mitchells were egregiously violated. In my opinion, this is a very serious case.

I'm sure the issue of Third Amendment violation will be challenged on the basis of the semantic discrepancy re: "soldiers" vs police. But this issue deserves to reach to the Supreme Court. Because regardless of the semantic difference, while these two men are called "police" officers, what I see are soldiers!

3102037944_ea308c4443_o.jpg

There is no question in my mind that the intensified militarization of American police agencies has in recent years transformed what once were ordinary civilian police officers into fully trained and functional soldiers!

The name does not alter the reality.

Last edited:
More information about this outrageous incident here:

Henderson police believed family was sharing their movements with suspect | Las Vegas Review-Journal

And here:

Henderson, North Las Vegas police named in 3rd Amendment suit - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Allowing for the predictable level of exaggeration by police it is becoming increasingly clear these Henderson NV cops were acting out a power fantasy occurring in their collective minds, because nothing they are accusing the Mitchells of doing comes close to justifying what they did. And even if a local Nevada court sees fit to dismiss the Mitchells' lawsuit I would wager that an appeal to a federal court will produce a much different result, because it does indeed seem the Third Amendment and the civil rights of the Mitchells were egregiously violated. In my opinion, this is a very serious case.

I'm sure the issue of Third Amendment violation will be challenged on the basis of the semantic discrepancy re: "soldiers" vs police. But this issue deserves to reach to the Supreme Court. Because regardless of the semantic difference, while these two men are called "police" officers, what I see are soldiers!

3102037944_ea308c4443_o.jpg

There is no question in my mind that the intensified militarization of American police agencies has in recent years transformed what once were ordinary civilian police officers into fully trained and functional soldiers!

The name does not alter the reality.

It should but I doubt that it will get near that.

Issues like this should go to the SCOTUS because the entire nation’s police need to be shown that such actions are simply not acceptable and can be prosecuted.

Personally, I believe that abuses of power by the police should come with real impact though; jail time for those who abuse that power. As police, they have special powers over normal citizens and that power should come with higher standards and higher punishments for not keeping that standard. Unfortunately it is the opposite for both.

Again, we really don't know what the neighbor was doing that justified the police action.

It indicates that the Mitchells were obstructing the police in their attempts to deal with the neighbor, which probably casts there whole, "help, help, I'm being repressed" cries in a new light.

Again, we really don't know what the neighbor was doing that justified the police action.

It indicates that the Mitchells were obstructing the police in their attempts to deal with the neighbor, which probably casts there whole, "help, help, I'm being repressed" cries in a new light.

Since there was no immediate police action needed as proven by the fact that the cops had time to leave Mitchell's home, gather and outfit a tactical assault squad drive back to Mitchell's house break down the door, pepper spray him and his dog then arrest and transport him back to the police HQ, then there was no exigent need to occupy the home for a stake out therefore there was no police action to be obstructed.

Since there was no immediate police action needed as proven by the fact that the cops had time to leave Mitchell's home, gather and outfit a tactical assault squad drive back to Mitchell's house break down the door, pepper spray him and his dog then arrest and transport him back to the police HQ, then there was no exigent need to occupy the home for a stake out therefore there was no police action to be obstructed.

Works on the assumption you take Mitchell's word for how the incident went down.

Works on the assumption you take Mitchell's word for how the incident went down.

I give a citizen the benefit of the doubt before I do the government.

-Henderson police officers arrested members of the Mitchell family they believed were communicating the position of a SWAT team to a barricaded armed suspect.

- Police said Michael Mitchell on three occasions used his cell phone to communicate law enforcement positions to Phillip White, Jr., the target of the domestic violence investigation. The two men were friends, police said.

-Officers said Michael Mitchell also set off his car alarms to “distract, annoy, and obstruct the emergency response” and refused to comply with their commands to stay inside his home

-A North Las Vegas police report showed Anthony Mitchell had extended his middle finger toward the officers and was taking photos or video of the officers positions. North Las Vegas SWAT assisted Henderson police in the case.

Mitchell is far from an innocent bystander protecting his property rights. He was actively involved in interfering with a police action and putting their lives at risk. I see why he waited two years to file this frivolous case

Last edited:

Of course you do.

But frankly, if that citizen is warning his neighbor, "Hey, the cops are looking at you for slapping your old lady around!" I'm a little less inclined to believe t his is an upstanding citizen.

You don’t really even have to give him the benefit of doubt, the process took several hours. I hardly call that ‘imminent threat’ and I don’t think there is a court in the nation that would either.

-Henderson police officers arrested members of the Mitchell family they believed were communicating the position of a SWAT team to a barricaded armed suspect.

- Police said Michael Mitchell on three occasions used his cell phone to communicate law enforcement positions to Phillip White, Jr., the target of the domestic violence investigation. The two men were friends, police said.

-Officers said Michael Mitchell also set off his car alarms to “distract, annoy, and obstruct the emergency response” and refused to comply with their commands to stay inside his home

-A North Las Vegas police report showed Anthony Mitchell had extended his middle finger toward the officers and was taking photos or video of the officers positions. North Las Vegas SWAT assisted Henderson police in the case.

Mitchell is far from an innocent bystander protecting his property rights. He was actively involved in interfering with a police action and putting their lives at risk. I see why he waited two years to file this frivolous case

I had the feeling there was more to this than the usual suspects were saying.

av0ZmoM_460sa.gif

I'm told this incident took place in Las Vegas, NV, which is just 17 miles from Henderson, NV. So it seems the police in that part of America have a very different orientation from that of the rest of the Nation's police. More like the old KGB.

I don't know what the subject of that vicious attack did but he seemed fairly passive. What the cop did could have caused serious injury -- even death if the subject's head hit the pavement. And because there were two cops, such a viciously aggressive attack was absolutely unnecessary.

Video: Old TV Clip Of The Week: Las Vegas Cop Choke Slams A Man! "Get Ya Hands Out Yo Muthaf*ckin Pocket"

Supposedly was a fight,pig orders civilian to put hands on car man doesn't listen to orders gets assaulted.

av0ZmoM_460sa.gif

Video: Old TV Clip Of The Week: Las Vegas Cop Choke Slams A Man! "Get Ya Hands Out Yo Muthaf*ckin Pocket"

Supposedly was a fight,pig orders civilian to put hands on car man doesn't listen to orders gets assaulted.

Somalia looking better to you, yet?

Without knowing the details, basically when an officer of the law says do something, you do it. They aren't making "requests". And they are the ones putting their lives on the line, especially in a state which allows concealed carry.

Funny how when you get the details, the complexion of the story completely changes.

Of course you do.

But frankly, if that citizen is warning his neighbor, "Hey, the cops are looking at you for slapping your old lady around!" I'm a little less inclined to believe t his is an upstanding citizen.

Then why didn't the cops get a warrant to arrest Mitchell?

If he was breaking a law and they enough probable cause for a warrant they were obligated to get one.

And as I said since it took a long time to gather the men and equipment necessary to break down Mitchell's door assault him and arrest him the cops didn't seem to be too worried about what was or was not happening at the neighbor's house

Forum List

Back