🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Police State: Man Detained For Walking With Hands In Pockets...

How many times have any of you hysterics been stopped and question by the police? Police state? Ridiculous.

How many times qualifies is the better question?
I've been stopped for no reason other than random checks at least a hundred times. Dozens on foot. Dozens in boats. Dozens in cars. And I'm white.
Same here.

Rounded a bend in a canal, and a fuckin' Coast Guard cutter was blocking the entrance to the ship channel, machine guns on the deck,
M-16's in their hands.

The boarded my little 22'er, checked all my papers, my fish cooler, my storage bins and my tackle boxes.

They found a petty fault with a fire-extinguisher, he issued a warning ticket, and scratched a date in the extinguisher and told me not to dare let him catch me without a new one.

I write that off to military arrogance, not cop arrogance.

Meanwhile, a ship with 5,000 pounds of cocaine made it through as they hassled me.

Rounded a bend in a canal, and a fuckin' Coast Guard cutter was blocking the entrance to the ship channel, machine guns on the deck,
M-16's in their hands.

The boarded my little 22'er, checked all my papers, my fish cooler, my storage bins and my tackle boxes.

They found a petty fault with a fire-extinguisher, he issued a warning ticket, and scratched a date in the extinguisher and told me not to dare let him catch me without a new one.

Meanwhile, a ship with 5,000 pounds of cocaine made it through as they hassled me.
The orders come down from above and maybe above military level.

I went on a drug patrol off of Florida when in the Coast Guard. Then R&Red in Jamaica. We didn't catch anyone but the crew brought back 11 pounds of weed that I knew of. Some, bought off the side of the ship, traded for hats and jackets!

How many times have any of you hysterics been stopped and question by the police? Police state? Ridiculous.

I've been stopped for no reason other than random checks at least a hundred times. Dozens on foot. Dozens in boats. Dozens in cars. And I'm white.
Same here.

M-16's in their hands.

Ayup... been there done that. Think they watch too many miami vice reruns or something.

Is the 'Patriot Act' really so 'Patriotic?' I would say it's the most Un-Patriotic act ever perpetrated against the American People.
Woodrow Wilson signed the Espionage Act and imposed wartime restrictions on freedom of speech and expression, becoming the first President to tread on the civil and political rights of Americans. Americas slide into a police state began then, and the patriot act is stage two. Not looking forward to stage three.

He did, but he wasn't by any stretch first at it. See "Alien and Sedition Acts", 1798. POTUS 2 -- we didn't even make it out of the 18th century.

See also Lincoln. Among others.
Neither restricted the civil and political rights of citizens to the extent as imposed by Wilson. Before Wilson, alien and sedition acts were limited and usually repealed - including the civil war ones. The Espionage Act is a long term legislaton, still used today - to prosecute political dissidents and spies.

I also think more White Americans should seriously contemplate how most African American men feel about their treatment by Law Enforcement. 'Walking while Black' is not a crime in America. I think too many White Americans just dismiss how most African American men feel about their treatment.

Ignoring their perspective only makes things worse. It's like an open festering wound. It can't be healed until it's seriously attended to. Once more people start understanding the cause of the anger, things can begin to change. People just need to be honest and stop ignoring the festering wound.
The reasons are more economic than political, as we are seeing the death of the middle class, and with it no hope or future for the youth of America (whether they are white or black). From that perspective, is it any surprise that black men are angry, lost, or afraid for the future.

Until there are opportunities again, the rage won't just simmer away, and lack of faith in police won't subside either. When the black man died in Ferguson, there was public outpouring of support for him. Because the people of Ferguson are so poor and jobless, and have so little hope, the policeman becomes the enemy.*

*Meaning they have to steal to support themselves and their families.

Yeah, economics does play a big role in everything. More White Americans really do need to seriously contemplate the average African American man's perspective on issues like this. This man for example, truly believes he was treated like a criminal for merely being a black man walking down a street.

Agree or not, White Americans need to understand that's how most African American men see things. Ignoring their perspective is only gonna make things worse.
African Americans make up most of the US prison population, and demographically are only doing slightly better than refuges or illegal immigrants.

The media don't get this however, and think that African Americans feel as much empathy as whites for criminals - even though African Americans suffer far more from the system.

They see themselves being victimized, and think the police and the government are justifiably out to keep them down, not help then up.

One response to 9/11 was to both militarize and increase the ability of law enforcement to watch, detain and jail citizens. The downside is that the state would be more likely to use coercion improperly (because humans are by nature flawed and cannot handle large, concentrated levers of power. See Ron Paul for a great critique of repressive state power).

In more general terms, you tend to see a "police state" develop in nations where wealth goes increasingly into fewer and fewer hands (which started happening in the USA in 1980). The propertied classes need more protecting from those who lack jobs and hope.

Also... Consider the Reagan "war on drugs" which made it easier for government to move Africans from welfare programs (which were being eliminated) to prison cells (which were seen as a more efficient way to handle superfluous populations, e.g., those destroyed by the institutional racism of the 50s-60s or left behind by the deindustrialization that occurred when our capitalists figured out that communist China could give them cheaper labor). Point is: the move toward more aggressive policing is often a response to problems that are not fully articulated because they are politically explosive issues.

Last edited:
In more general terms, you tend to see a "police state" develop in nations where wealth goes increasingly into fewer and fewer hands (which started happening in the USA in 1980).
Yeah, not going back to Australasia. It is catching up with America, on a race to the bottom of income inequality, and becoming more extremist each election. Between Abbott and Key, they are building a police state worse than Americas, if that is possible.

Is the 'Patriot Act' really so 'Patriotic?' I would say it's the most Un-Patriotic act ever perpetrated against the American People.
Woodrow Wilson signed the Espionage Act and imposed wartime restrictions on freedom of speech and expression, becoming the first President to tread on the civil and political rights of Americans. Americas slide into a police state began then, and the patriot act is stage two. Not looking forward to stage three.
Ignorant nonsense.

America is not a 'police state,' then or now.

And it's just as ignorant to maintain that the Espionage Act 'violates' the civil and political rights of Americans, as the Supreme Court has not ruled the Act 'un-Constitutional.' The Espionage Act was created by Congress, at the behest of the American people, where the ultimate blame for both the Espionage Act and Patriot Act rests solely with the American people, not Wilson, or any other president, or Congress.

Ignorant nonsense.

America is not a 'police state,' then or now.

And it's just as ignorant to maintain that the Espionage Act 'violates' the civil and political rights of Americans, as the Supreme Court has not ruled the Act 'un-Constitutional.' The Espionage Act was created by Congress, at the behest of the American people, where the ultimate blame for both the Espionage Act and Patriot Act rests solely with the American people, not Wilson, or any other president, or Congress.
In theory, every act of Congress bears the imprimatur of the American people, but these days Congress seems to rule against the people. The "patriot" act would never have passed a national referendum. Neither would Obamacare.....though single payer might. Congress has deplorable popularity ratings precisely because they don't give a damn what we the people want. They got their own agenda.

But hey on the bright side, at least the cop didn't shoot first and interrogate later. The Citizen survived. Maybe we are making progress after all?
yeah thats the only thing thats surprising that he did not do that.POLICE STATE USA home of the free-errr oppressed,they really need to change that word at the end to the oppressed,they have gotten it wrong too many decades now.

Oops.

There has been a great deal of discussion on the internet about a deputy talking to "a man with his hands in his pockets." Unfortunately, this issue demonstrates one of the disadvantages of social media. Often times, individuals share things without knowing the facts and in some cases promote a specific agenda unrelated to the reality of the situation. Shocking that the internet does not tell the full picture or people use this for an agenda-right? So, here is the whole story.

The video that was posted was an edited version of the whole situation and cut out the Deputy fully explaining as to why 911 was called on him, and ended with this person agreeing that the police should respond. The 911 call received by the Oakland County Dispatch Center originated from a nearby business that had been a victim , as well as its employees, of seven robberies. The caller and his employees were concerned about the individual who had walked by the front window of the business five or six times, while looking inside with his hands in his pockets. Fearing for their safety, the business dialed 911 and the Deputy responded.

In the unedited version of the event, the individual stated that if he had called the police on a suspicious person, he would expect the police to respond, check the area, and talk to the suspicious person being called about. The Deputy did not detain or pat down the individual and considering the nature of the call responded in a very restrained and professional manner.

We will continue to take each and every call seriously at the Sheriff’s Office and hold our Deputies to the highest standards and expectations of public service.

I have too, including in Canada, though not "hundreds of times". That is clearly unconstitutional and excessive. For this we can thank (<facetious) the SCOTUS of 1990:

In a split ruling, the federal court overruled the Michigan Court’s decision and determined that DUI checkpoints were, indeed, legal under federal law. Despite finding that roadblocks did meet the Fourth Amendment’s definition of an unreasonable seizure, the court found that, due to the threat a drunk driver imposes on other motorists, they were a necessary means of protection.

However, as several dissenting judges pointed out, the Constitution doesn’t make room for exceptions and, whether beneficial or not, DUI checkpoints are a clear violation of the Fourth Amendment, forcing drivers to participate in “suspicionless investigatory seizures.” (-- here)
How ya like that? "Yeah it's unconstitutional but we're gonna do it anyway, fuck the Constitution". Thanks a lot, SCROTUS.
Now there is a story the drama queens can run with.

Oops.

There has been a great deal of discussion on the internet about a deputy talking to "a man with his hands in his pockets." Unfortunately, this issue demonstrates one of the disadvantages of social media. Often times, individuals share things without knowing the facts and in some cases promote a specific agenda unrelated to the reality of the situation. Shocking that the internet does not tell the full picture or people use this for an agenda-right? So, here is the whole story.

The video that was posted was an edited version of the whole situation and cut out the Deputy fully explaining as to why 911 was called on him, and ended with this person agreeing that the police should respond. The 911 call received by the Oakland County Dispatch Center originated from a nearby business that had been a victim , as well as its employees, of seven robberies. The caller and his employees were concerned about the individual who had walked by the front window of the business five or six times, while looking inside with his hands in his pockets. Fearing for their safety, the business dialed 911 and the Deputy responded.

In the unedited version of the event, the individual stated that if he had called the police on a suspicious person, he would expect the police to respond, check the area, and talk to the suspicious person being called about. The Deputy did not detain or pat down the individual and considering the nature of the call responded in a very restrained and professional manner.

We will continue to take each and every call seriously at the Sheriff’s Office and hold our Deputies to the highest standards and expectations of public service.
It was cold and maybe he was looking for someone. I don't like the way we define down suspicious behavior. If the guy was up to no good, just the police showing up and hanging out for a while would have scared him off. This just doesn't sit right with me no matter how it's explained.

The thing is the guy is a lawyer. Who has ever seen a lawyer with their hands in their own pockets?
LOL! I was married to one.
I hate lawyers.
My dad, my brother, my BIL, my niece, all scumbag lawyers.

A lawyer is by definition a scumbag.

Both Obamas are lawyers, as we're the Clintons.

As are most politicians.

What's the difference between a lawyer and a catfish?
One is a slimy, bottom-dwelling, scum-sucking scavenger; the other is a fish.
The difference between a dead lawyer in the highway, and a dead skunk in the highway?

Skid marks in front of the skunk!

I have too, including in Canada, though not "hundreds of times". That is clearly unconstitutional and excessive. For this we can thank (<facetious) the SCOTUS of 1990:

In a split ruling, the federal court overruled the Michigan Court’s decision and determined that DUI checkpoints were, indeed, legal under federal law. Despite finding that roadblocks did meet the Fourth Amendment’s definition of an unreasonable seizure, the court found that, due to the threat a drunk driver imposes on other motorists, they were a necessary means of protection.

However, as several dissenting judges pointed out, the Constitution doesn’t make room for exceptions and, whether beneficial or not, DUI checkpoints are a clear violation of the Fourth Amendment, forcing drivers to participate in “suspicionless investigatory seizures.” (-- here)
How ya like that? "Yeah it's unconstitutional but we're gonna do it anyway, fuck the Constitution". Thanks a lot, SCROTUS.
Now there is a story the drama queens can run with.
Here we had massive insurance checks, clogging highways.

I don't think that is allowed any more.

It was just an excuse to smell for dope.

The OP is an idiot, he has no idea what an actual police state is.
A police state does not happen in the blink of an eye.

We now have a government which reads our emails, monitors our phone calls, examines our library book checkouts, and sifts through our internet surfing habits, all without warrants. We have a government which detained US citizens without a writ of habeas corpus. We have a government which used to prosecute waterboarding as torture which now denies it is torture when it is our government doing it. We now have a monolithic "Department of Homeland Security" which has unprecedented police powers. We have a federal government militarizing our local police.

I mean, what is it going to take for everyone to realize that America took a very bad turn after 9/11, police state wise?
The wrong turn was taken with that **** Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" bullshit.

Oops.

It's a lot more plausible than the OP's fantasies but still-- do we have a link?

Really, you're white? That's the only thing you've ever posted I believe.

Says "Brown" on my screen. :eusa_shifty:

Forum List

Back