🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Police State: Man Detained For Walking With Hands In Pockets...

It was cold and maybe he was looking for someone. I don't like the way we define down suspicious behavior. If the guy was up to no good, just the police showing up and hanging out for a while would have scared him off. This just doesn't sit right with me no matter how it's explained.
Well sorry but that's more you than the situation.
The truth is the guy was actually behaving suspiciously given the circumstances. The cops were called. They were polite and professional about it. And the guy was on his way.
Then we disagree. I don't think there's anything polite about harassing people on the street doing nothing illegal, no matter how "professionally" it's done. I'm not white so maybe I see the other side of this better. The cops should have established a presence and nothing more then there would be no misunderstanding.
Talking to someone is not harassment. The guy was free not to answer or walk away.
People dont seem to understand you are not obligated to talk to police or answer their questions.
You can't just walk away when a cop is talking to you. Police have the power to detain.
Nope. Unless you're being detained for some reason like suspicion of committing a crime you can just walk away. You sure dont have to answer any questions.
Incorrect. No you don't have to say anything but no you can't just leave. Try walking away from a cop that wants to talk to you. See what happens.

The truth is the guy was actually behaving suspiciously given the circumstances. The cops were called. They were polite and professional about it. And the guy was on his way.
Then we disagree. I don't think there's anything polite about harassing people on the street doing nothing illegal, no matter how "professionally" it's done. I'm not white so maybe I see the other side of this better. The cops should have established a presence and nothing more then there would be no misunderstanding.
Talking to someone is not harassment. The guy was free not to answer or walk away.
People dont seem to understand you are not obligated to talk to police or answer their questions.
You can't just walk away when a cop is talking to you. Police have the power to detain.
Nope. Unless you're being detained for some reason like suspicion of committing a crime you can just walk away. You sure dont have to answer any questions.
Incorrect. No you don't have to say anything but no you can't just leave. Try walking away from a cop that wants to talk to you. See what happens.
It's best not to but never say anything, not without an attorney present. Nothing more than asking for a lawyer and declaring that you are invoking your right to remain silent, as ironic as that may seem, you have to say it.

I have never been treated badly by the police who pretty much admitted there was no reason to stop me in the first place.
Just because they were nice to you as they violated your rights does not make it okay.

"Hey, as long as you feed me tea and crumpets, go ahead and forget about that writ of habeas corpus, Chief!"

Those who get into the most trouble and sometimes hurt are the ones throwing tantrums about their rights. I've seen some altercations. I want to grab them by the throat and shake them until they shut up.

Oops.

There has been a great deal of discussion on the internet about a deputy talking to "a man with his hands in his pockets." Unfortunately, this issue demonstrates one of the disadvantages of social media. Often times, individuals share things without knowing the facts and in some cases promote a specific agenda unrelated to the reality of the situation. Shocking that the internet does not tell the full picture or people use this for an agenda-right? So, here is the whole story.

The video that was posted was an edited version of the whole situation and cut out the Deputy fully explaining as to why 911 was called on him, and ended with this person agreeing that the police should respond. The 911 call received by the Oakland County Dispatch Center originated from a nearby business that had been a victim , as well as its employees, of seven robberies. The caller and his employees were concerned about the individual who had walked by the front window of the business five or six times, while looking inside with his hands in his pockets. Fearing for their safety, the business dialed 911 and the Deputy responded.

In the unedited version of the event, the individual stated that if he had called the police on a suspicious person, he would expect the police to respond, check the area, and talk to the suspicious person being called about. The Deputy did not detain or pat down the individual and considering the nature of the call responded in a very restrained and professional manner.

We will continue to take each and every call seriously at the Sheriff’s Office and hold our Deputies to the highest standards and expectations of public service.

Basically this is a long version trying to justify why just any black guy is profiled and feared for no reason an thats why its reasonable to harass this guy for it. Kudos.

Now where is the link for this fantastic story you just spun. I mean since you took the time out to chastise social media and edited videos....you think you would include proof.
Ah, another race whore injecting race into this instance without a single whit of reasoning behind it. Tell me, should we just make it illegal for a white cop to interact with a black person?

Sent from my phone from a bumpy road. Please excuse any errors. :D

I have never been treated badly by the police who pretty much admitted there was no reason to stop me in the first place.
Just because they were nice to you as they violated your rights does not make it okay.

"Hey, as long as you feed me tea and crumpets, go ahead and forget about that writ of habeas corpus, Chief!"

Those who get into the most trouble and sometimes hurt are the ones throwing tantrums about their rights. I've seen some altercations. I want to grab them by the throat and shake them until they shut up.
A lot of people have strange theories about the law and what rights they think they have, and what rights they do have, such as forbidding cops to come into their home or search their vehicle, they don't exercise to their benefit. A lot of innocent people are in prison because they cooperated with police thinking their innocence will protect them. The Rabbi is right that you never have to talk to the police and those that do take their chances.

Nothing.

How easy.

Oops.

There has been a great deal of discussion on the internet about a deputy talking to "a man with his hands in his pockets." Unfortunately, this issue demonstrates one of the disadvantages of social media. Often times, individuals share things without knowing the facts and in some cases promote a specific agenda unrelated to the reality of the situation. Shocking that the internet does not tell the full picture or people use this for an agenda-right? So, here is the whole story.

The video that was posted was an edited version of the whole situation and cut out the Deputy fully explaining as to why 911 was called on him, and ended with this person agreeing that the police should respond. The 911 call received by the Oakland County Dispatch Center originated from a nearby business that had been a victim , as well as its employees, of seven robberies. The caller and his employees were concerned about the individual who had walked by the front window of the business five or six times, while looking inside with his hands in his pockets. Fearing for their safety, the business dialed 911 and the Deputy responded.

In the unedited version of the event, the individual stated that if he had called the police on a suspicious person, he would expect the police to respond, check the area, and talk to the suspicious person being called about. The Deputy did not detain or pat down the individual and considering the nature of the call responded in a very restrained and professional manner.

We will continue to take each and every call seriously at the Sheriff’s Office and hold our Deputies to the highest standards and expectations of public service.

Basically this is a long version trying to justify why just any black guy is profiled and feared for no reason an thats why its reasonable to harass this guy for it. Kudos.

Now where is the link for this fantastic story you just spun. I mean since you took the time out to chastise social media and edited videos....you think you would include proof.
Ah, another race whore injecting race into this instance without a single whit of reasoning behind it. Tell me, should we just make it illegal for a white cop to interact with a black person?

It seems to me that it was about race and I'm disinclined to easily jump to that conclusion. The reason I think so is not because of the cop but because of the paranoid shop owner. It also perplexes me that you white folk think race is never an issue. Don't know if you're white but you sure are white-splaining this. A lot of you are.

And stop texting while driving. Are you freaking crazy?

Nothing.

How easy.

Good. Then try driving off when the cop is giving you a citation for texting while driving. Make sure you get some video for Youtube. We'll all wring our hands over yet another example of police brutality.

Oops.

It seems to me that it was about race and I'm disinclined to easily jump to that conclusion. The reason I think so is not because of the cop but because of the paranoid shop owner. It also perplexes me that you white folk think race is never an issue. Don't know if you're white but you sure are white-splaining this. A lot of you are.

LOL. I am not going to respond to a thread while driving :D I was the passenger.

Anyway, it can seem that way to you but that is utterly irrelevant. I don't care who wants to interject race into this - there is absolutely NOTHING to base that on. Nothing. There isnt a single fact that shows anything in this encounter was related to race at all. I notice that you don't bother to include any reasoning as to why this is about race other than flatly stating its your assumption. Again, that is because that assumption has nothing to back it up. It is telling that so many are willing to simply ASSUME that race is involved. It shows the asinine conditioning that the media has inflicted on us. A white cop cannot approach a black person in any context without people chomping at the bit claiming the cop is a racist pos.

It is not only completely asinine but it is getting very, very old.

Nothing.

How easy.

Good. Then try driving off when the cop is giving you a citation for texting while driving. Make sure you get some video for Youtube. We'll all wring our hands over yet another example of police brutality.
I do like how you assume I was the driver committing an illegal act (and more importantly endangering the lives of others) rather than the OBVIOUS conclusion that I was a passenger in a car. Interesting.

Nothing.

How easy.

BTW, at that point you have been detained so no, you cant simply leave. You are being detained for committing an act against the law - a traffic violation. You do understand that this is fundamentally different than walking down the street, right?

On the other hand, if the numerous Boston cops that let the Bomber Boys walk by them with backpacks had been a bit more inquisitive.....!!!

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Not apropos at all. Not in the least.

To the post I quoted?

Perhaps you should re-read it.
Perhaps you should figure out what this conversation is about.

:lol:

I don't give a shit what your "conversation" is about. I responded to a post, not the thread as a whole.
Fuck you, I'll say whatever I want no matter how off the wall it is.
Yeah, we get you do that.

Nothing will happen unless you're being detained on suspicion of something.

Nothing.

How easy.

Wrong.
The scenario you just gave involved a crime. If you've committed a crime you cannot just leave. If you've been detained on suspicion you cannot just leave. But that's not what we're talking about here.
Do you understand that and are being intellectually dishonest or are you really not clear on the concept?

Oops.

I'm not the one who saw a black guy and assumed he was a threat because he had the nerve to walk by with his hands in his pocket in the middle of winter

Oops.

LOL. I am not going to respond to a thread while driving :D I was the passenger.

Anyway, it can seem that way to you but that is utterly irrelevant. I don't care who wants to interject race into this - there is absolutely NOTHING to base that on. Nothing. There isnt a single fact that shows anything in this encounter was related to race at all. I notice that you don't bother to include any reasoning as to why this is about race other than flatly stating its your assumption. Again, that is because that assumption has nothing to back it up. It is telling that so many are willing to simply ASSUME that race is involved. It shows the asinine conditioning that the media has inflicted on us. A white cop cannot approach a black person in any context without people chomping at the bit claiming the cop is a racist pos.

It is not only completely asinine but it is getting very, very old.

How bout common fucking sense...How about racial profiling....How about your act of "who knows" doesnt work

Yeah, the cameras seem to level the playing field. This man would have been in deep shit if he wasn't recording. Without cameras, the Police have absolute free reign. It's a 'your word against their word' scenario. And guess who wins that one?

This cop would have likely called for 'backup' and escalated the situation to a possible violent outcome. But with the cameras rolling, he decided it would be wise to just let it go. So the cameras did defuse the tense standoff.

Well then good thing the cameras were rolling. Seems to have defused a possibly tragic standoff. Maybe the Police should be required to record. I am beginning to lean that way.

You keep hammering on this but it's still the same speculation fallacy.

As noted before -- drama queen.

Come on be real, if the cameras weren't rolling, this cop would have called on his mates to join him in destroying this poor guy's life. They've done that for years. Absolute free reign. But hopefully, that free reign is coming to an end. Looks like recording their actions does level the playing field a bit.

"Come on be real, this woulda happened, that woulda happened" is exactly what speculation fallacy means. You should put that active imagination to use in something constructive.

No they really have had absolute free reign for many years. This poor guy wouldn't have stood a chance if he wasn't recording. It's so easy for Police to trump-up charges against anyone. At the very least, this guy probably would have spent his Thanksgiving night in jail. The video definitely prevented that from happening.

And now you're actually continuing to continue the same speculation fallacy. It's like you don't even read the posts pointing this out. Or they sail right over your head.

What I see in a 46-second video with no intro and no context is a calm, rational conversation. I don't see anyone "detained", I don't see aggression. The basis for that conversation is paranoid bullshit, but I don't see any goose-stepping SWAT team shoving Uzis in people's faces.

See, this is an actual event that has already happened -- you don't get a "rewrite". That's called writing a novel, or a screenplay. Maybe you should go into that since you're already halfway there.

The sad reality is, the man's lucky he's still alive to tell the story. That's how bad things are with our Police at this point.

How many times have any of you hysterics been stopped and question by the police? Police state? Ridiculous.

How many times qualifies is the better question?
I've been stopped for no reason other than random checks at least a hundred times. Dozens on foot. Dozens in boats. Dozens in cars. And I'm white.

Really, you're white? That's the only thing you've ever posted I believe.

Says "Brown" on my screen. :eusa_shifty:

Oh? Yeah, of course, that's the color of the substance of each of his posts.

The thing about totalitarians is that they have this funny way of discovering a crime, even when one is not being committed.

Sure, you are walking with your hands in your pockets, nothing illegal about that. But you get detained by a cop having a bad day, and then you get kind of pissed and call him a fucking pig, and the next thing you know, "Obstruction of Justice".

We all need to get kind of pissed about this bullshit. Stop rolling over for these assholes. YOU are the authority.

We are letting the government sift through our mail, monitor our phone calls, study our reading habits at the library, all without so much as a fucking whimper.

Wake up!

His real 'offense' was being a Black Man walking down a street. The dirty little secret most White Americans refuse to acknowledge and address.

Link to that conclusion?

Ha, did you really ask for a 'link' for that? Seriously? This man was treated like a criminal for merely being a Black Man walking down a street. It is what it is.

The thing about totalitarians is that they have this funny way of discovering a crime, even when one is not being committed.

Sure, you are walking with your hands in your pockets, nothing illegal about that. But you get detained by a cop having a bad day, and then you get kind of pissed and call him a fucking pig, and the next thing you know, "Obstruction of Justice".

We all need to get kind of pissed about this bullshit. Stop rolling over for these assholes. YOU are the authority.

We are letting the government sift through our mail, monitor our phone calls, study our reading habits at the library, all without so much as a fucking whimper.

Wake up!

His real 'offense' was being a Black Man walking down a street. The dirty little secret most White Americans refuse to acknowledge and address.

Link to that conclusion?

Ha, did you really ask for a 'link' for that? Seriously? This man was treated like a criminal for merely being a Black Man walking down a street. It is what it is.
None of those assertions is true. Try again.

Forum List

Back