POLL: How Bout An Official Gesture Of Atonement For Past Sins Against African Americans?...

Would You Support An Official Government-Sponsored Gesture Of Atonement To African Americans

• Yes

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 89.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How about we stop treating everybody on the basis of race and start treating everyone as an American? That sounds like the best solution to me, although I doubt very much the right and left are up to the task. There is too much political opportunism to be made out of constant division.

I bet african americans are really upset over the last 7.5 years.....tyrone scratches head.

Well in fairness, it doesn't wipe away hundreds of years of brutal treatment.
Are we responsible for that???? They need to pull up their "big boy pants" and make something of themselves.

When someone intrudes on another's rights in this day and age, the law will be used to deal with it. If there was an ancestor of mine that was killed by an Irishman, I am not stupid. I would not hold the Irish responsible today. If a portion of our citizens feel they are not being treated properly here, go bACK TO THEIR NATIVE COUNTRY.

I know what you're saying, but i'm trying to find solutions to heal the open festering wound. Ignoring it or getting defensive, won't make it go away. It has to be confronted.

Make an official Government-sponsored declaration of acknowledgement and atonement. It could help African Americans forgive and find some closure. Let's try it, what do we have to lose?

No. That will only provide ammunition to the race pimps. There is no way to placate these vermin. They aren't interested in solutions. They make a living off of racial division and acrimony.

Do it anyway. Hopefully they'll fall by the wayside. I think most African Americans would appreciate it and find some closure.

Don't hope. We already know how they left responds based on its previous behavior.

The government didn't enslave them. That being said if they want an official "we're sorry" that doesn't include reparations I have no problem with that. Reparations though are a non starter.
After they get the "I'm sorry" they will start using it as a justification for reparations, so no dice.

I agree, some will. But i think most will forgive and find some closure.

You are utterly naive about the left. The only reason they want an apology is so they can use it as a justification for reparations. You are making a mistake if you ever cut the left an inch of slack. They are all ignominious douche bags.

I'm not supporting monetary compensation. But some sort of official acknowledgement and atonement could go a long way. And after that, we can do the same with Native Americans.

Wrong. It wouldn't do a thing. We were told the same thing about electing Obama. So what happened? Race relations have never been worse.

"Never been worse"? You must be immune to history books.

Go look up, let's say, 1892. Then come back and tell the class how it's "worse" now.

Myopic dolt.

I know what you're saying, but i'm trying to find solutions to heal the open festering wound. Ignoring it or getting defensive, won't make it go away. It has to be confronted.

Make an official Government-sponsored declaration of acknowledgement and atonement. It could help African Americans forgive and find some closure. Let's try it, what do we have to lose?

A hell of a lot of money, like we've lost already.

Atonement for what anyway? No blacks today have ever been enslaved. No blacks today even knew anybody that was enslaved.

Furthermore, my ancestors never enslaved anyone, so what do I have to apologize for?

I'm not advocating monetary compensation. And most African Americans would say they've been enslaved long since after Slavery was abolished. In fact, you go back only a few decades to the 50's and 60's to see where they're coming from.

I grew up in the 60's so I know exactly where they are coming from. So what kind of compensation are you talking about here, and why should I be the one to compensate? Just because I'm white?

It wouldn't really be a 'compensation.' It would be rather an official Government-sponsored declaration of acknowledgement and atonement. They did something like it in Australia with the Aborigines. It doesn't wash away the hundreds of years of brutal treatment, but it can result in some forgiveness and closure.

I'm not advocating monetary compensation. And most African Americans would say they've been enslaved long since after Slavery was abolished. In fact, you go back only a few decades to the 50's and 60's to see where they're coming from.

I grew up in the 60's so I know exactly where they are coming from. So what kind of compensation are you talking about here, and why should I be the one to compensate? Just because I'm white?
Of course it is because you are white. No, you didn't do anything wrong and maybe none of your ancestors did either. But some of the blacks today still want to live in the past and have excuses for their own personal failures.

The reason it came to a frothing boil now us that our president created the atmosphere of total disrespect between the races. Our racial problem can be put squarely on the shoulders of our failed president.

How about we stop treating everybody on the basis of race and start treating everyone as an American? That sounds like the best solution to me, although I doubt very much the right and left are up to the task. There is too much political opportunism to be made out of constant division.

I agree, that's the obvious solution. It's what Martin Luther King wanted. But i think the past has to be addressed in some way. And it'll have to be addressed in an official Government-sanctioned way. Something along the lines of how Australia approached it with the Aborigines.

Of course it is because you are white. No, you didn't do anything wrong and maybe none of your ancestors did either. But some of the blacks today still want to live in the past and have excuses for their own personal failures.

The reason it came to a frothing boil now us that our president created the atmosphere of total disrespect between the races. Our racial problem can be put squarely on the shoulders of our failed president.

Riiiiigth, three hundred years of human trafficking and abuse followed by legacies of lynchings, discrimination and various outright terrorism were just.... I dunno, bumps in the road?

Are we responsible for that???? They need to pull up their "big boy pants" and make something of themselves.

When someone intrudes on another's rights in this day and age, the law will be used to deal with it. If there was an ancestor of mine that was killed by an Irishman, I am not stupid. I would not hold the Irish responsible today. If a portion of our citizens feel they are not being treated properly here, go bACK TO THEIR NATIVE COUNTRY.

No. That will only provide ammunition to the race pimps. There is no way to placate these vermin. They aren't interested in solutions. They make a living off of racial division and acrimony.

Do it anyway. Hopefully they'll fall by the wayside. I think most African Americans would appreciate it and find some closure.
Are you watching the news???? We should make a declaration that the law applies to both black and white. BlackLivesMatter should apologize and agree that ALLLIVESMATTER. It could help all Americans forgive and find some closure.

I hear ya, but that doesn't really address this issue.

Neither does your hair-brained scheme.

Didn't we give them enough excuses already? They all joined the party of excuses, and they made plenty more for them.

After they get the "I'm sorry" they will start using it as a justification for reparations, so no dice.

You are utterly naive about the left. The only reason they want an apology is so they can use it as a justification for reparations. You are making a mistake if you ever cut the left an inch of slack. They are all ignominious douche bags.

I'm not supporting monetary compensation. But some sort of official acknowledgement and atonement could go a long way. And after that, we can do the same with Native Americans.

Wrong. It wouldn't do a thing. We were told the same thing about electing Obama. So what happened? Race relations have never been worse.

Go look up, let's say, 1892. Then come back and tell the class how it's "worse" now.

Myopic dolt.

I was expecting the usual knee-jerk idiocy from a leftwing douche bag.

Atonement for what anyway? No blacks today have ever been enslaved. No blacks today even knew anybody that was enslaved.

Furthermore, my ancestors never enslaved anyone, so what do I have to apologize for?

Not you personally. More a collective nation acknowledgement.

I don't believe in collective anything.

Riiiiigth, three hundred years of human trafficking and abuse followed by legacies of lynchings, discrimination and various outright terrorism were just.... I dunno, bumps in the road?

My life started the day I was born--not before. What happened to my father, my grandfather, his grandfather has no barring on my life.

When my father tried to get into the bricklayers union, they refused him because he was of Polish descent. He eventually got in, but it was a fight. So should I be able to sue the bricklayers union today for what they did to my father?

Myopic dolt.

I was expecting the usual knee-jerk idiocy from a leftwing douche bag.

And I was expecting the usual vacuum of a response, same as usual when you know you stepped in it.
And you delivered.

Are you watching the news???? We should make a declaration that the law applies to both black and white. BlackLivesMatter should apologize and agree that ALLLIVESMATTER. It could help all Americans forgive and find some closure.

I hear ya, but that doesn't really address this issue.

What have I done to the black population? Nothing that I can recall. It does addresses the issue. Apologies have been offered to the black population for years. That is not what they want. We have laws that apply to all people, not just a portion. By law, they are equal and expected to follow the same laws that I accept. They want all police to suffer for recriminations they perceive. And if all the police were fired, where would they be? Protesting for more cops.

I agree, that's the obvious solution. It's what Martin Luther King wanted. But i think the past has to be addressed in some way. And it'll have to be addressed in an official Government-sanctioned way. Something along the lines of how Australia approached it with the Aborigines.

Yeah, I'm sure that will change everything. Ask how many blacks (or whites for that matter) know about this:

Congress Apologizes for Slavery, Jim Crow

I don't believe in collective anything.

Fair enough. But we do need to heal this open festering wound. I think it's time to stop ignoring and being defensive. We lose nothing by as a nation acknowledging and atoning for past treatment of African Americans. It could lead to some peace.