Poll: Percent of Christians drop, those identifying as "none" soars

Seems to me more people identifying as "none" says more about "brands" and marketing than about religion.

I would check "none" on such a poll, simply because my actual status would not be listed. There's no way it could be listed. It's like asking 'which do you drive, a Chevy or a Ford?" Well neither, but it doesn't mean I don't drive.

Spirituality is personal. There's no reason in the world it has to be a "club" or a brand name, and certainly not a monolithic dogma. I think a rise in "none" signifies that more people are discerning it's not a crime to not pick one from the approved list.

Some Religion is beneficial or at worse harmless
Some breeds hatred and condescension towards those who may believe something even slightly diferent

If you read this Religion board, you will find more christians attacking atheists or muslims than the other way around
Hint: there are more Christians than Muslims or atheists.

Some breeds hatred and condescension towards those who may believe something even slightly diferent

If you read this Religion board, you will find more christians attacking atheists or muslims than the other way around

And their numbers are falling like a led balloon

The percentage of adults who describe themselves as Christians dropped by nearly eight percentage points in just seven years to about 71 percent, according to a survey conducted by the Pew Research Center.

The older generation of millennials (those who were born from 1981 to 1989) are becoming even less affiliated with religion than they were about a decade ago, the survey suggests. In 2007, when the Pew Research Center did their last Religious Landscape Survey and these adults were just entering adulthood, 25 percent of them did not affiliate with a religion, but this grew to 34 percent in the latest survey.

The trends among the aging millennials is especially significant, said Greg Smith, associate director of research at the Pew Research Center. In 2010, 13 percent of baby boomers were religiously unaffiliated as they were entering retirement, the same percentage in 1972.

“Some have asked, ‘Might they become more religiously affiliated as they get older?’ There’s nothing in this data to suggest that’s what’s happening,” he said. Millennials get married later than older generations, but they are not necessarily more likely to become religiously affiliated, he said.

That will change.

Convert now and get on board with the religion that perfected yours.

Islam predicted to overtake Christianity as world s largest religion by 2070 - Mirror Online

:) Some of our far right christian fundies are crazy, yes; just like you, Guno, and the other militant atheists on the board. Extremists are crazed when they are generally laughed at you, as the mainstream of the theists and atheists laugh at the extremes in their groups.

:) Some of our far right christian fundies are crazy, yes; just like you, Guno, and the other militant atheists on the board. Extremists are crazed when they are generally laughed at you, as the mainstream of the theists and atheists laugh at the extremes in their groups.

Practice, Jake. Prepare for your conversion. You are greeted with:

As-salamu alaykum

What is your Islamic response?

Practice, Jake. Prepare for your conversion. You are greeted with: As-salamu alaykum What is your Islamic response?
So you have already converted.

Last edited:
I'm curious.

Are there any positive effects you see from this change?

You're talking to Shitflinger, who has a goal of;

Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg

So he sees this as VERY positive.

Practice, Jake. Prepare for your conversion. You are greeted with: As-salamu alaykum What is your Islamic response?
So have already converted.
No. I have two older brothers in the Marines so I'm armed and I can ring steel at 600 yards. And I know how to fight dirty.

So have already converted.
No. I have two older brothers in the Marines so I'm armed and I can ring steel at 600 yards. And I know how to fight dirty.
Good for you. Striving to defend the Constitution, and understand it, will be a better shield for you. That means we all (Christians, atheists, etc.) get to believe what we want and defend one another's right to believe what we want. That will be hard for you, but that or become a jihadist.

Let's see....

At this rate, Christians will be gone in 70 years

Careful

Christianity may get replaced by Islam--and they have a very proactive agenda against 'kafirs'(nontheists, atheists, polytheists plus any followers of religions not derived from Judaism)!

I seriously doubt all the muslims of the world are going to stay in Islamic states, and as they move to other nations, they will bring along some of the 'questionable' ideas we are not fond of.

Let's see....

At this rate, Christians will be gone in 70 years

Extremely unlikely.

Death by a thousand cuts.....will the last christian remember to lock the door on the way out?

I think what you are seeing is a greater acceptance of different beliefs, so people are coming out of the closet. But Christianity, and belief in general, is a very human thing and people are not going to suddenly stop being people. The numbers will probably go up a bit still, but Christianity is not going to go away.

The a-theists of our time will be no more successful than were the French in the Temple of Reason or the communists. PratchettFan has the handle of it.

Forum List

Back