Poll. Please Vote. Did You Have a Mother & Father in Your Life?

Did you have regular contact with both a mother and father in life & think it was important?

• (I'm a democrat) Yes. And yes it was important to me

• (I'm a democrat) Yes. But no it was not important to me

• (I'm a democrat) No. But yes I longed for contact with both of them

• (I'm a democrat) No. And no, it didn't bother me

• (I'm a moderate/independent) Yes. And yes it was important to me

• (I'm a moderate/independent) Yes. But no it was not important to me

• (I'm a moderate/independent) No. But yes I longed for contact with both of them

• (I'm a moderate/independent) No. And no, it didn't bother me

• (I'm a republican) Yes. And yes it was important to me

• (I'm a republican) Yes. But no it was not important to me

• (I'm a republican) No. But yes I longed for contact with both of them

• (I'm a republican) No. And no, it didn't bother me

• (Other) Yes. And yes it was important to me

• (Other) Yes. But not it was not important to me

• (Other) No. But yes I longed for contact with both of them

• (Other) No. And no, it didn't bother me

Results are only viewable after voting.
You should take a look at the Prince's Trust study from 2010. Its not a 'mother' or 'father' that is the key. But a good same sex role model. This could be a same sex parent, or an aunt/uncle. Grandparent, Coach, Family friend, Pastor, Mentor, etc.

Its why the Prince's Trust runs an elaborate mentoring program.

What if, like in 100 years from now, the child has nothing but all male "parents" and "grandparents"? Two dads and four grandads? How would that child access a grandmother in that scenario?

Then you'd still have aunts, uncles, family friends, teachers, coaches, pastors, mentors and a litanny of other common sources to draw good same sex role models from.

I had the best parents anyone could ever hope to have. They taught and prepared me how to live and survive life.
One poster here talked about being a man who grew up with both mom and dad like almost everyone did....or longed to do anyway... 90-something % above... He said that not only was having a father important to give himself a sense of male identity, but also a mother to teach him how to relate to other women...namely his wife today.

I keep saying "important for boys to have dads and girls to have moms"...but equally important is for the child to learn how to relate to the opposite gender which is something they'll have to know how to do well to be functional and healthy adults..

You should take a look at the Prince's Trust study from 2010. Its not a 'mother' or 'father' that is the key. But a good same sex role model. This could be a same sex parent, or an aunt/uncle. Grandparent, Coach, Family friend, Pastor, Mentor, etc.

That's valid. It's why the black community is so devastated by crime....most boys grow up without a father. But Dems don't like to talk about that, they'd rather blame white cops.

A good same sex role model doesn't need to be a parent. And in fact many parents make awful role models. But a good same sex role model can provide a variety of benefits and dramatically increase the odds of a good outcome for a child.

That's valid. It's why the black community is so devastated by crime....most boys grow up without a father. But Dems don't like to talk about that, they'd rather blame white cops.

And now black boys can be legally kept from ever having a father, even the hope of having a father if two "married" lesbians adopt him.. I'm sure this will result in really great things!

We have 1 democrat who voted "yes I had a mom and dad, and no it wasn't important to me".

And now black boys can be legally kept from ever having a father, even the hope of having a father if two "married" lesbians adopt him.. I'm sure this will result in really great things!

If fathers were the only source of good same sex role models, you might have a point. But they aren't. The Prince's Trust runs an extensive mentoring program to help children to be matched up with such good role models.

And presumably, none of the men and women participating in the Mentoring program need be family members of those being mentored.

So this is just a survey to see who had contact with both their mother and father in life. And how important people feel about that for children.

I grew up thinking I had a mother and father - although it was a disfunctional situation. Dad was a mean drunk. Mom had no spine. Grandmother taking over where parents didn't

BUT - on my 18th birthday, in front of an Army recruiter, I learned they were my parents at all!

Have no idea who my birth parents are and don't really give a darned.

One day, I'm going the DNA analysis bit to get some idea what my heritage is.

So this is just a survey to see who had contact with both their mother and father in life. And how important people feel about that for children.

I grew up thinking I had a mother and father - although it was a disfunctional situation. Dad was a mean drunk. Mom had no spine. Grandmother taking over where parents didn't

BUT - on my 18th birthday, in front of an Army recruiter, I learned they were my parents at all!

you learned that they were....or weren't your parents?

I had the best parents anyone could ever hope to have. They taught and prepared me how to live and survive life.
One poster here talked about being a man who grew up with both mom and dad like almost everyone did....or longed to do anyway... 90-something % above... He said that not only was having a father important to give himself a sense of male identity, but also a mother to teach him how to relate to other women...namely his wife today.

I keep saying "important for boys to have dads and girls to have moms"...but equally important is for the child to learn how to relate to the opposite gender which is something they'll have to know how to do well to be functional and healthy adults..

A good same sex role model doesn't need to be a parent. And in fact many parents make awful role models. But a good same sex role model can provide a variety of benefits and dramatically increase the odds of a good outcome for a child.

That's another valid point. Many fatherless kids who embrace sports can get that from their coach. One of the best things we can do in the ghetto, and it's cheap, is to invest in large community sports programs and hire great men as coaches. 1 great football coach can be that father figure to a team of 50 kids. Do the math!!

It's not the permanent answer but it's a bridge to one.

Will never happen though. Residents would rather that money go towards more welfare.

A child needs both a mother and a father, each has it's role in development.

That's another valid point. Many fatherless kids who embrace sports can get that from their coach. One of the best things we can do in the ghetto, and it's cheap, is to invest in large community sports programs and hire great men as coaches. 1 great football coach can be that father figure to a team of 50 kids. Do the math!!

I think that's a solid idea. I'd also say that churches are a superb source of good same sex role models. While churches catch anecdotal shit about child molesting, their influence is overwhelmingly positive for children in need of a good same sex role model.

For highschool students I think a Prince's Trust style mentoring program would also be a great idea. Matching up professionals with young men and women who need a same sex mentor. It would be especially effective is accompanied by vocational programs where the mentors worked in the profession the child was studying for.

I'm a huge fan of higher education and have degrees myself. But not everyone is a good fit for it. Vocational programs can help serve those who aren't well suited (by temperament, ability or interest) for college but may be very well suited for a vocational profession. Having the real prospect of a career and career path would be a powerful motivator to convince more of these kids into such programs.

Will never happen though. Residents would rather that money go towards more welfare.

You'd be surprised. Its usually not an either/or scenario.

That they WERE NOT! Standing in front of an Army recruiter, the woman I thought was my grandmother, handed him a birth certificate indicating I was born to other parents and had never been adopted.

That they WERE NOT! Standing in front of an Army recruiter, the woman I thought was my grandmother, handed him a birth certificate indicating I was born to other parents and had never been adopted.

I'm asking because your post over all strongly insinuates that they were not. But you typed 'they were my parents at all'.

And never adopted? What the hell?! Did they foster you the entire time?

Most people that deal with kids from broken homes say that the kids never give up hope that mom and dad will get together again.

So, I would have to say its very important.

Mark

I'm asking because your post over all strongly insinuates that they were not. But you typed 'they were my parents at all'.

The story is - my "father" was an LA cop who knew a hooker who'd been knocked up by a sailor. She "gave" me to him and his wife who couldn't have kids and they raised me.

And later, after I'd enlisted in the Army under the name on my birth certificate, he had the balls to ask my why I did change my last name to his!!!!!

Most people that deal with kids from broken homes say that the kids never give up hope that mom and dad will get together again.

Mark

I lived in a church run foster home for four years and can attest that every single one of the kids from divorced or separated parents had no other desire than to see them reunite so they could have a "normal" life.

The story is - my "father" was an LA cop who knew a hooker who'd been knocked up by a sailor. She "gave" me to him and his wife who couldn't have kids and they raised me.

And later, after I'd enlisted in the Army under the name on my birth certificate, he had the balls to ask my why I did change my last name to his!!!!!

Sounds like your parents were/are truly unsung heros of this country.

Mark
Well in any gay marriage, the ceremony itself is an announcement to kids of a life-sentence of lost hope..

This is a planet for evil, and only the evil like it. Even your insanity rejects what happens here.

I'm sorry for you. I've had thousands and thousands of hours of delight watching sunsets, birds, nature, children playing, walking my dog, riding horses, swimming, backpacking, late night chats with friends, productive inventing, potluck dinners, basketball games, skin diving, fishing, 4x4ing, touring Europe and the ancient places. This world you can extract the positive from or think of it as evil. And it will become what you think of it.

You have done all of that- yet you devote your life to trying to bring harm to gay Americans.

All the crime we see happening every day in Detroit, is a direct result of children not having 2 parents in their lives.

Forum List

Back