Post Office to stop Saturday Delivery

Good. One less day I fill the trash can with the garbage delivered to me home.
If the USPS would stop permitting junk mail it would probably reduce it's mail volume by 50% and thus run somewhat efficiently.

why would it do that?.....that is a multi billion dollar a year business....this kind of mail is not the reason the PO is losing money....

Ok....Let's do a simple exercise.
I am a delivery company. Just like the PO...
By law I have to accept and deliver at a set price 100 pieces of mail 6 days per week.
That costs me $1,000 per day....
If I eliminate one delivery day, I now only spend $5000 per week.
So if 50% of my volume is pieces that people really do not want and therefore the law allows me relief from delivering it, guess what, I can slash my costs by reducing my mandate volume which can allow me to spend less on labor, fuel, wear and tear on my vehicles, wages and equipment. I can in effect become more profitable by reducing my costs.
Pretty simple stuff.
Handle less, Costs less.
The USPS is too large. It has too many employees to justify the reduced volume of mail.
There comes a time when those who have an interest in seeing something prevail must surrender that idea.
the trouble with your "handle less" idea.....the PO has to deliver whatever comes through the door......you pay the postage it gets delivered.....and believe me there are weeks when a hell of a lot of stuff comes through that door....and lots of it is a fucking pain in the ass to handle.....and they have eliminated a few hundred thousand employees over the last 5 years....

Makes sense

Frankly, I could probably get by with two day a week mail delivery

Why do you hate Unions? It's clear this move is going to hurt Postal Union employees and basically eliminate any possibility of them soaking up weekend overtime. I thought you Liberals were for Union workers? Apparently not.

they will make up that OT on Monday......and if there is a Monday Holiday?.........Tuesday will be a Motherfucker....

Get rid of Congress' imposed law on the USPS that they fund retirement for 75 years and maybe the USPS would have a fighting chance.

To those of you cheering this on - without the USPS, your mail will be left to private orgs who are going to rape you on delivery rates.

Get rid of Congress' imposed law on the USPS that they fund retirement for 75 years and maybe the USPS would have a fighting chance.

To those of you cheering this on - without the USPS, your mail will be left to private orgs who are going to rape you on delivery rates.

I'm not cheering it on. I think the post office as we know it--door to door delivery nationwide--has outlived it's usefulness. There simply is too much infastructure for too little volume at this point in time. It is critical that it remain in rural America. UPS will either have to be heavily subsidized or it will not service the rural residential customers for the same rate as urban accounts.

The postal service was one of the best things that this nation ever fielded and it served it's purpose very well but there comes a time when you have to face the fact that the purpose has gone away and the service is no longer needed.

What I thought would be ultra cool is if they trans-pourposed these post offices into internet/e-mail hubs. A lot of times, my smart phone distorts a message, I can't open attachments, and whenever there is an apostrophe in the word, I get a 5 character jumble for the apostrophe....Why not admit defeat, turn these buildings into a place one can go and get their e-mail, print out the letter for whatever the current postage rate is (5 pages usually is the max for 1 ounce) and see what happens.

I would have no trouble with Wednesday route mail being stopped as well.

Anyone can go to the PO for box mail.

I thought about that too, but I'm not sure how it would affect business. What I was thinking was using Wednesdays to not deliver and catch up of things like sorting the mail. I've also considered an every other day delivery approach, where delivery and work would include the days of the weekends on a rotating schedule or by agreement amongst workers to take certain times to work or not.

I wonder how much the Post Office could up the price of junk mail, until they lost revenue by the reduction of volume. That wouldn't break our hearts.

Postal Service to cut Saturday mail to trim costs | US National Headlines | Comcast

The U.S. Postal Service will stop delivering mail on Saturdays but continue to deliver packages six days a week under a plan aimed at saving about $2 billion annually, the financially struggling agency says.

In an announcement scheduled for later Wednesday, the service is expected to say the Saturday mail cutback would begin in August.

The move accentuates one of the agency's strong points — package delivery has increased by 14 percent since 2010, officials say, while the delivery of letters and other mail has declined with the increasing use of email and other Internet services.

How about stop all delivery ? Government mismanagement at its best. They can keep all there junk mail, what a dinosaur.:clap2::clap2:

Netflix lives and breathes by the US Postal Service, and both have created an extremely efficient symbiotic relationship. The same is true with Amazon, which is probably why packages will still be delivered on Saturdays.

No Saturday delivery is going to hurt Netflix, but be a boon to Blockbuster. Their Saturday in-store sales should increase when this change goes into affect.

The Post Office said they would continue Saturday package delivery.

Makes sense

Frankly, I could probably get by with two day a week mail delivery

Why do you hate Unions? It's clear this move is going to hurt Postal Union employees and basically eliminate any possibility of them soaking up weekend overtime. I thought you Liberals were for Union workers? Apparently not.

they will make up that OT on Monday......and if there is a Monday Holiday?.........Tuesday will be a Motherfucker....

I read an excellent suggestion. Instead of cutting Saturday delivery, cut Monday. In this way there will be fewer three day no delivery periods. This of course speaks to the Monday Holidays throughout the year.
Of course if you ask me ,those Monday holidays should be eliminated as federal and bank holidays. Quite frankly 90% of workers don't get those days off anyway. Why should government workers get them.
If workers want the day off, use a vacation day or personal day.
6 paid Holidays are enough.

How about just not forcing them to do what no private or public entity has to do which is fund its retirement for decades RIGHT NOW

The post office is in the constitution.

The founders were willing to fund it all

I read an excellent suggestion. Instead of cutting Saturday delivery, cut Monday. In this way there will be fewer three day no delivery periods. This of course speaks to the Monday Holidays throughout the year.
Of course if you ask me ,those Monday holidays should be eliminated as federal and bank holidays. Quite frankly 90% of workers don't get those days off anyway. Why should government workers get them.
If workers want the day off, use a vacation day or personal day.
6 paid Holidays are enough.

it doesnt matter what day you cut.....after 2 days there will be 3 days of mail waiting.....the mail does not stop moving internally....it keeps moving till it gets to the route.....and Mondays because of Sunday is the heaviest day of the week....

They shoudl be allowed to fund their retirement program the same way other entities do.

Why are they singled out in this way by the republican party?

How about just not forcing them to do what no private or public entity has to do which is fund its retirement for decades RIGHT NOW

then tell your Party that.....because they are just as much at fault for that 5 Billion Dollar payment as the Republicans are....

then tell your Party that.....because they are just as much at fault for that 5 Billion Dollar payment as the Republicans are....

Oh? What was the final vote?
2 out of 3 of the co-sponsors were Democrats.....and right now Wytch the Democrats are not doing much to repeal this thing.....neither is the President.....

why not just relieve them of the burden the republicans saddled them with

right, because running an org. whose wages and benefits consume four of every five operating dollars ( non unionized fedex- 32%, and unionized ups 52%) is the gop's fault...

or Amtrack, another federally subsidized wreck, needing 16 bucks to make a hamburger they sell for $9.50, yea, its the gop....:rolleyes:

They shoudl be allowed to fund their retirement program the same way other entities do.

Why are they singled out in this way by the republican party?

becasue they don't want their benefits and pension thrown into the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) when they go bust, I'd want their plans maximized and funded totally, OR they can just get off the gov. tit and give up their monopoly.

Forum List

Back