Prayer as a Mormon

The citizens of Pensacola Florida would disagree with you.
The Constitution allows all prayer, all faiths in the public square, yes, even Satanic prayer. In the public square, I favor seeing everything over seeing nothing.

The citizens of Pensacola Florida would disagree with you.
The Constitution allows all prayer, all faiths in the public square, yes, even Satanic prayer. In the public square, I favor seeing everything over seeing nothing.

I thought it was an energizing experience. The Satanists got a kick out of it. The Christians got a boost of energy to oppose the Satanic fellow. The separation of Church and State crowd got an opportunity to speak their piece.

This guy is from the Satanic Temple but the Satanic Temple philosophy is similar to the Church of Satan. The Church of Satan boasts of keeping God in business all these years. This was a good example of that principle in action. One Satanist energized an entire crowd of God’s people with a simple prayer. If a Christian would have given a prayer it would have been glossed over and ignored .

2 Nephi 25:23
23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I believe the meaning of the above verse has been misconstrued. What is being said here is that if it were possible that we could do all that we can do, we would still need the grace of God to be saved. The emphasis is not to be placed on the phrase "after all we can do" but on the idea that if that were the case that we did everything in our power to live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God, we would still be unprofitable servants and need the grace of God to be saved. Here is another teaching from the Book of Mormon that teaches this concept.

Mosiah 2:20-21
20 I say unto you, my brethren, that if you should render all the thanks and praise which your whole soul has power to possess, to that God who has created you, and has kept and preserved you, and has caused that ye should rejoice, and has granted that ye should live in peace one with another—
21 I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.

Yes, God does require his children to obey his commandments but this does not mean that we receive salvation through our obedience, but it is only in and through the grace of God that we receive salvation. God may not save a person if they do not keep the commandments of God, but this does not infer that it is the keeping of commandments that save us. It simply means that God requires something of us before he will do the saving. Without the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, we could do "all that we can do" and still not be saved. Salvation is truly a gift from God, but that does not mean that God will not require a work from our hands before he grants that grace.

I consider a prayer to have a lower role in religious practice than rightful actions. The most important is to live by the principles of the faith, the moral ones to be of the highest value. If you dont do this but ask God about something then it is like to be a hypocrite.

23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I believe the meaning of the above verse has been misconstrued. What is being said here is that if it were possible that we could do all that we can do, we would still need the grace of God to be saved. The emphasis is not to be placed on the phrase "after all we can do" but on the idea that if that were the case that we did everything in our power to live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God, we would still be unprofitable servants and need the grace of God to be saved. Here is another teaching from the Book of Mormon that teaches this concept.

20 I say unto you, my brethren, that if you should render all the thanks and praise which your whole soul has power to possess, to that God who has created you, and has kept and preserved you, and has caused that ye should rejoice, and has granted that ye should live in peace one with another—
21 I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.

Yes, God does require his children to obey his commandments but this does not mean that we receive salvation through our obedience, but it is only in and through the grace of God that we receive salvation. God may not save a person if they do not keep the commandments of God, but this does not infer that it is the keeping of commandments that save us. It simply means that God requires something of us before he will do the saving. Without the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, we could do "all that we can do" and still not be saved. Salvation is truly a gift from God, but that does not mean that God will not require a work from our hands before he grants that grace.
The book of MORMON laces Biblical truth with error and presents it as another testimony to the unsuspecting. Salvation is a free gift that arrives with faith that the LORD actually encourages and nurtures. Works originate with the LORD after salvation and not before. Works play absolutely no role in one's salvation. They only display to others a sign that one is saved. They are a means of earning treasures in heaven where moth and rust corrupt not.

And now, my beloved brethren, if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray. 2 Nephi 32:8
I've got a good buddy who is LDS and my next door neighbors are LDS. Good people. Everyone of them. Better than I can ever hope to be. I may not agree with their theology but I can't disagree with their results.

My parents converted to LDS and did their best to get me to do the same. I did read the Book Of Mormon and was not all that impressed with it. However I have met a number of Mormons and I agree that like you I found all I met to be extremely nice people.
I also converted to LSD....in 1972

And now, my beloved brethren, if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray. 2 Nephi 32:8
I've got a good buddy who is LDS and my next door neighbors are LDS. Good people. Everyone of them. Better than I can ever hope to be. I may not agree with their theology but I can't disagree with their results.
I've heard that one too many times before. They have too much real estate with that Holy Plat of Zion in the plains of Utah. Meanwhile, the rest of us are not permitted to enter their temple. And WE have real estate board integrity problems in the sanctity of our own homes.

When CHRIST gave up HIS spirit upon the cross the veil to the HOLY of HOLIES was torn in two ----- top to bottom. It always seemed odd to me that a group considering itself "Christian" would choose to reestablish what GOD had eliminated so poignantly. They simply don't seem to grasp the obvious faults surrounding Mr. Smith's stylized religion.

The book of MORMON laces Biblical truth with error and presents it as another testimony to the unsuspecting. Salvation is a free gift that arrives with faith that the LORD actually encourages and nurtures. Works originate with the LORD after salvation and not before. Works play absolutely no role in one's salvation. They only display to others a sign that one is saved. They are a means of earning treasures in heaven where moth and rust corrupt not.

LittleNipper would have you believe that Salvation is a free gift that comes by grace through faith but not works. However, the bible teaches us differently. Consider these two verses:

Ephesians 2:8-10
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

This verse clearly tells us that it is by grace that we are saved. All the works we do will not save us. If you take the grace out of the picture, no man can be saved by his individual works alone. We cannot save ourselves with our works. However, as verse 10 tells us, we are created unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. The aren't the things that save us but they are required of the Lord that we should walk in them. When we exercise faith in God by doing good works, God will grant to us the grace which is necessary for us to be saved. God requires a work at our hand which is faith which includes good works. The faith and works do not save us but are merely required of the Lord before he will grant his grace which actually does the saving.

Back in the days of Christ and his Apostles, there were those who believed that through their works, they could actually find salvation. This was a misconception for it is only through the grace of Jesus Christ that we can attain salvation. What they failed to understand however, and what many today fail to understand is that God requires a work and a faith from us before he will grant the saving grace which does the saving. Faith is not just a mere believe but it actually requires believe combined with works to be a true faith. Let us look at the second verse:

James 2:14-26
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

From this we see that you cannot have a true faith without good works. Faith without works is dead! A true faith in God includes good works. When we combine this with our previous verse we see that it is by grace that we are saved through faith which includes good works. The works and faith themselves do not save us but only the grace. However, God requires that we have a true faith and do good works before he will grant the grace which is the saving element necessary before we can be saved. For it is by grace that we are saved through faith which includes good works; and that not of ourselves: it is the gift of God.

In order that we be received into the church of God we are required to first repent of our sins and be baptized before we can receive the remission of our sins and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. This is a work that is required to receive a remission of sins which comes by grace after we do the works of repentance and the receiving of baptism.

Acts 2:38
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

One must have the faith which requires the works of repentance before one can be baptised for the remission of sins which remission comes by the grace of Jesus Christ. Only then can one receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. As we continue in life after receiving this remission of sins, we are not perfect and at times will sin again and need to repent again to receive Christs forgiveness by grace. It is an on going process of the works of repentance in our lives to align our lives with the Savior's to receive his grace which saves our souls. The faith to repent which is a good work brings the grace of Jesus which does the saving of our souls. This is not a post salvation work but a work that brings salvation to our souls.

LittleNipper would have you believe that Salvation is a free gift that comes by grace through faith but not works. However, the bible teaches us differently. Consider these two verses:

Ephesians 2:8-10
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

This verse clearly tells us that it is by grace that we are saved. All the works we do will not save us. If you take the grace out of the picture, no man can be saved by his individual works alone. We cannot save ourselves with our works. However, as verse 10 tells us, we are created unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. The aren't the things that save us but they are required of the Lord that we should walk in them. When we exercise faith in God by doing good works, God will grant to us the grace which is necessary for us to be saved. God requires a work at our hand which is faith which includes good works. The faith and works do not save us but are merely required of the Lord before he will grant his grace which actually does the saving.

Back in the days of Christ and his Apostles, there were those who believed that through their works, they could actually find salvation. This was a misconception for it is only through the grace of Jesus Christ that we can attain salvation. What they failed to understand however, and what many today fail to understand is that God requires a work and a faith from us before he will grant the saving grace which does the saving. Faith is not just a mere believe but it actually requires believe combined with works to be a true faith. Let us look at the second verse:

James 2:14-26
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

From this we see that you cannot have a true faith without good works. Faith without works is dead! A true faith in God includes good works. When we combine this with our previous verse we see that it is by grace that we are saved through faith which includes good works. The works and faith themselves do not save us but only the grace. However, God requires that we have a true faith and do good works before he will grant the grace which is the saving element necessary before we can be saved. For it is by grace that we are saved through faith which includes good works; and that not of ourselves: it is the gift of God.

In order that we be received into the church of God we are required to first repent of our sins and be baptized before we can receive the remission of our sins and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. This is a work that is required to receive a remission of sins which comes by grace after we do the works of repentance and the receiving of baptism.

Acts 2:38
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

One must have the faith which requires the works of repentance before one can be baptised for the remission of sins which remission comes by the grace of Jesus Christ. Only then can one receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. As we continue in life after receiving this remission of sins, we are not perfect and at times will sin again and need to repent again to receive Christs forgiveness by grace. It is an on going process of the works of repentance in our lives to align our lives with the Savior's to receive his grace which saves our souls. The faith to repent which is a good work brings the grace of Jesus which does the saving of our souls. This is not a post salvation work but a work that brings salvation to our souls.
Works are a manifestation of salvation. Works are not a way of salvation. It is NEVER all we can do plus grace. It is grace alone and the proof is one's works. Works are a fruit of the SPIRIT and and not the way to the SPIRIT. Galatians 5:22-26
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Jesus himself taught,

Matthew 4:17
17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Here we see that Jesus requires us to repent in order to get into heaven. The works of repentance are necessary before Jesus will grant the grace to enter his kingdom. Having faith to do the works of repentance is the first step in doing the will of our Father in Heaven in order to gain the grace sufficient to be saved.

Again the Lord himself tells us,

Matthew 7:21
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Here we see that there is something that must be done before entering the kingdom of heaven. What is it that we must do? We must do the works of doing the will of the Father before we can get into the kingdom of heaven. This means that we must do the works of keeping the commandments of God and repenting of our sins. This is the faith we must show by our works. Faith without works is dead! The works of righteousness is required of us before the saving grace of Jesus Christ is granted. As the verse above suggests, these are works that must be done BEFORE one is given grace to enter the kingdom of heaven, ie be saved into the kingdom of heaven. It is not an afterthought.

1 Peter 1:5, 9-10
5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Here we see again that it is through faith which includes good works that we come unto salvation by grace.

Hebrews 5:9
9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

In this verse we see that salvation come unto all who obey him. The works of obedience to the commandments and repenting come before salvation.

2 Timothy 3:15
15 And that from a
child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Again, as James taught, Faith without works is dead. We come unto salvation through faith in Jesus Christ. We must do the works of keeping the commandments and repenting of our sins FIRST before the salvation by grace is granted.

Matthew 19:17
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Here we see that if we wish to enter into life (receive salvation), we must do the work of keeping the commandments of God. It is not an afterthought but a prerequisite for salvation to do the works of righteousness.

It is a fallacy to think that we are saved prior to having faith, which, according to the Apostle James, includes good works. We must have faith unto good works of repentance and keeping of the commandments of God before we can receive His grace unto salvation. A simple reading of the New Testament will reveal this truth to anyone who reads it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back