Predictions

Kooky, you dumb fuck. That diesel locomotive you posted is a hybrid. Electric motors drive the wheels because the motors are far more controllable than mechanically transferred power from the diesel motor.
Diesel-electric locomotives are not hybrids.

Hybrid vehicles are vehicles with two or more power sources in the drivetrain.

There is only one power source in a locomotive's drivetrain: The diesel engine.
Not only that, what do you suppose is going to happen when we have a method of storing electrical energy that has equal or greater density than that of diesel fuel?

If it's cheaper to build and operate than diesel engines, we'll switch over. So far, there's nothing that can do that.

Thanks Dave for putting an exclamation point on the obvious.:rock::rock::rock:

Old Rocks has been known to pwn himself numerous times on here but his last post is beyond jerky. He's calling me a dumb fcukk!!!:2up:

Dumbass thinks THIS is an electric train!!!!.............................

3118120825_b178a16157_o.jpg

Fuel Tank
A diesel locomotive has to carry its own fuel around with it and there has to be enough for a reasonable length of trip. The fuel tank is normally under the loco frame and will have a capacity of say 1,000 imperial gallons (UK Class 59, 3,000 hp) or 5,000 US gallons in a General Electric AC4400CW 4,400 hp locomotive. The new AC6000s have 5,500 gallon tanks. In addition to fuel, the locomotive will carry around, typically about 300 US gallons of cooling water and 250 gallons of lubricating oil for the diesel engine.
Air reservoirs are also required for the train braking and some other systems on the locomotive. These are often mounted next to the fuel tank under the floor of the locomotive.

Traction Motor
Since the diesel-electric locomotive uses electric transmission, traction motors are provided on the axles to give the final drive. These motors were traditionally DC but the development of modern power and control electronics has led to the introduction of 3-phase AC motors. For a description of how this technology works, go to the Electronic Power Page on this site. There are between four and six motors on most diesel-electric locomotives. A modern AC motor with air blowing can provide up to 1,000 hp.[/I]

Diesel Locomotive Technology

But Im a dumb fcukk!!!!!:up:

Last edited:
...lots of difficulty navigating in the real world.......i...a fcukking loser who has to find somebody else to blame for...misery and fcukked up personal life decisions that led to a perpetual state of epIc fAiL.

eat...cheap relative...to get them moving....about 10 years old....replaced every year or so.

work on...Corn...asshole miserable....change dick....We're stuck...need trade...Goofball trolls...screams out...We do anything...we are...beautiful machine....grim reality...cannot accept....cruising upon monster....or four or five in tendem........for...they be...pulling 100+ cars...feeding America...want shit..............
...beyond jerky....me a dumb fcukk!!! Im a dumb fcukk!!!!!

Yeah, yeah, we know. You demonstrate that every time you post.

original-3.jpg

Apparently, the Union Pacific Railroad bosses happened upon the US Message Board Environmental Forum and read some posts by Rolling Thunder, Chris and Old Rocks. The next day, they decided that since the green economy was imminent, they drove 75 million dollars worth of diesel locomotives over a cliff in Oregon.

Last edited:
Daveboy and Kooky, two of the dumbest fucks on the net.

HowStuffWorks "How Diesel Locomotives Work"

The hybrid diesel locomotive is an incredible display of power and ingenuity. It combines some great mechanical technology, including a huge, 12-cylinder, two-stroke diesel engine, with some heavy duty electric motors and generators, throwing in a little bit of computer technology for good measure.

The hybrid diesel locomotive is an incredible display of power and ingenuity. It combines some great mechanical technology, including a huge, 12-cylinder, two-stroke diesel engine, with some heavy duty electric motors and generators, throwing in a little bit of computer technology for good measure.

this is a new phenomenon, is it not?

A hybrid vehicle has two power sources. What is the diesel/electric locomotive's second power source?

And who appointed you to define what hybrid means? I think the people who publish this site are a bit more expert on what the word means than you are.

A hybrid vehicle has two power sources. What is the diesel/electric locomotive's second power source?

Hey Dave.........Im struggling trying to come up with an analogy on this one but for certain, its going to be laughable as stink.

But since Im a car guy............Rocks centention that the locomotive's I posted up on this page run by electric power is like me saying that if if I upgrade from a single core radiator to a triple core aluminum radiator I'll gain 50 horsepower!!! :rock::rock::rock:

But Dave........we're the dumbest fcukks on the internet!!!!:up:

Last edited:
Hey Dave.........Im struggling trying to come up with an analogy on this one but for certain, its going to be laughable as stink.

But since Im a car guy............Rocks centention that the locomotive's I posted up on this page run by electric power is like me saying that if if I upgrade from a single core radiator to a triple core aluminum radiator I'll gain 50 horsepower!!!

But Dave........we're the dumbest fcukks on the internet!!!!

That's not a secret, kooker, everybody already knows...

And who appointed you to define what hybrid means? I think the people who publish this site are a bit more expert on what the word means than you are.
Nobody appointed me. But the government says I'm right.
Hybrid vehicles are a combination of gasoline and electric engines. These vehicles have drive trains powered by both internal combustion engine and a rechargeable battery.​

So your source is wrong, and, by extension, you as well. Hybrids have two different power sources. A diesel/electric locomotive has only one.

But since Im a car guy............Rocks centention that the locomotive's I posted up on this page run by electric power is like me saying that if if I upgrade from a single core radiator to a triple core aluminum radiator I'll gain 50 horsepower!!!

But Dave........we're the dumbest fcukks on the internet!!!!

Editing a member's post in that manner is against the rules.

And yes, the rules apply even to you.

The 'rule' you link to concerns "altering" someone's post, which I did not do. I've seen nothing saying you can't shorten a post, using only what is there.
No altering quotes-Meister

Hybrid train - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For combined steam and diesel locomotives, see Steam diesel hybrid locomotive.
A hybrid train is a locomotive, railcar or train that uses an onboard rechargeable energy storage system (RESS), placed between the power source (often a diesel engine prime mover) and the traction transmission system connected to the wheels.

Surplus energy from the power source, or energy derived from regenerative braking, charges the storage system. During acceleration, stored energy is directed to the transmission system, boosting that available from the main power source. In existing designs, the storage system can be electric traction batteries, or a flywheel. The energy source is diesel, liquified petroleum gas, or hydrogen (for fuel cells) and transmission is direct mechanical, electric or hydrostatic.

Diesel electric locomotives have high potential for energy savings when using dynamic braking, which use the traction motors as generators to stop the train. Without a way to recover and store the braking energy, these engines currently have no option other than to dump it into the sky as heat, using large electric heating elements and high velocity cooling fans.

Editing a member's post in that manner is against the rules.

And yes, the rules apply even to you.

The 'rule' you link to concerns "altering" someone's post, which I did not do. I've seen nothing saying you can't shorten a post, using only what is there.
:lol: Uh huh. Typical lefty -- thinks he's above the rules. They're for the proles.

Maybe I should alert on the post so we can get an official ruling, huh?

Naaah -- I'll leave the informing to you lefties.

On edit: Looks like you did break the rule.
Since you didn't quote his entire post, that means you altered it.
You'll probably get a warning now.
Did we ever get a ruling on this? I got in trouble for doing the same and am still crying over it periodically.

:redface:

The clarification has been made time and time again..

When you quote someone, if you don't wish to reply to their entire post, and only wish to address a certain portion of it, you may snip the portion that you wish to reply to, WITHOUT changing ANY context, wording, or adding any wording of your own, and reply to only that portion.
You changed the context and wording.

Last edited:
Hybrid train - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For combined steam and diesel locomotives, see Steam diesel hybrid locomotive.
A hybrid train is a locomotive, railcar or train that uses an onboard rechargeable energy storage system (RESS), placed between the power source (often a diesel engine prime mover) and the traction transmission system connected to the wheels.

Surplus energy from the power source, or energy derived from regenerative braking, charges the storage system. During acceleration, stored energy is directed to the transmission system, boosting that available from the main power source. In existing designs, the storage system can be electric traction batteries, or a flywheel. The energy source is diesel, liquified petroleum gas, or hydrogen (for fuel cells) and transmission is direct mechanical, electric or hydrostatic.

Diesel electric locomotives have high potential for energy savings when using dynamic braking, which use the traction motors as generators to stop the train. Without a way to recover and store the braking energy, these engines currently have no option other than to dump it into the sky as heat, using large electric heating elements and high velocity cooling fans.
The locomotive you insisted was a hybrid is not one of those, you dishonest old goat.

Forum List

Back