President Trump to roll back rules on jobs teens can have

The Trump administration wants to unwind child labor laws

I agree 100%. I was doing a TON of those jobs when I was 10 or 11. Splitting wood with wood splitter,helping build buildings with my grandfather,operating dangerous equipment I did it all. This should be 100% let up to the teenager and their parents NOT the government. Its a different day and time now! This also could harm teens that want to follow these careers at 17 and have graduated early from HS or want to start college at 16 or 17 in these careers and can't do these jobs because of these dumb rules.
As long as it doesn't encourage kids to drop out of school. Getting a diploma is pretty necessary these days and once a kid drops out, it's damned hard for them to go back and earn their equivalency.
normally i'd agree but a diploma for what? our education system is far from "good". in fact we are the epitome of average.

U.S. Falls In World Education Rankings, Rated 'Average' | HuffPost

so if kids want a leg up on whatever career they should choose, then it's time we evaluated everything in how we can improve. i *do agree* they should stay in school for at least high school but after that, it is whatever works for that persons chosen career field.

i wish we had a president that would work on our educational system with more than words and a passing glance. we could and should be so much better than we are today.
The diploma is expected, even for bag boys at the supermarket now. Whether or not it's a good education, the employers are expecting it. The military has really cracked down on it, too. Very few dropouts who returned for their GED's are getting in. Twenty years ago, that was not the case.
i graduated college in 88. i was told i must have that degree to get anywhere. since that time i don't think anyone has asked about it, nor has my GPA ever been brought up in a job or during an interview.

again - don't get me wrong - i agree we need to show and keep a baseline. but what we teach them in HS maybe needs to evolve as well. how we teach them certainly does. i'm not saying abandon it, i'm saying fix it.

I agree 100%. I was doing a TON of those jobs when I was 10 or 11. Splitting wood with wood splitter,helping build buildings with my grandfather,operating dangerous equipment I did it all. This should be 100% let up to the teenager and their parents NOT the government. Its a different day and time now! This also could harm teens that want to follow these careers at 17 and have graduated early from HS or want to start college at 16 or 17 in these careers and can't do these jobs because of these dumb rules.
As long as it doesn't encourage kids to drop out of school. Getting a diploma is pretty necessary these days and once a kid drops out, it's damned hard for them to go back and earn their equivalency.
No doubt conservatives are hoping it DOES lead to more dropouts. Somebody has to make up the 3rd world labor force Trump is hoping to create so we can compete with unskilled 3rd world countries at jobs that have been obsolete here for decades.
Here we lost a lot of jobs overseas and you might call them "unskilled" but making shoes and sewing shirts ain't something all of us would be good at. I have respect for what they did. If those jobs were obsolete, the businesses wouldn't have moved overseas to hire cheap labor.
I said obsolete here. 3rd world busy work stopped paying a living wage here decades ago.
It fed plenty of families here. Two-worker families, naturally.

This is exactly what is happening in construction now.
No one can find framers around here and have now taken to hiring Mexican crews. Work cheaper but I question quality of work.
Roofing crews are mostly Latino along with sheetrock hangers.
Huge housing boom in Twin Cities with a major labor shortage.
No young people are entering field and could make damn good money in the trades.
Better get that liberal arts degree in African lesbian studies instead.
Apprenticeship is worth looking at for more than just skilled labor jobs like construction trades. Coding/programming is something that shouldn't need a college degree. Companies could hire kids right out of high school, apprentice them under an experienced software engineer, pay to have them take training here and there and pay them a wage/salary accordingly.

normally i'd agree but a diploma for what? our education system is far from "good". in fact we are the epitome of average.

so if kids want a leg up on whatever career they should choose, then it's time we evaluated everything in how we can improve. i *do agree* they should stay in school for at least high school but after that, it is whatever works for that persons chosen career field.

i wish we had a president that would work on our educational system with more than words and a passing glance. we could and should be so much better than we are today.
The diploma is expected, even for bag boys at the supermarket now. Whether or not it's a good education, the employers are expecting it. The military has really cracked down on it, too. Very few dropouts who returned for their GED's are getting in. Twenty years ago, that was not the case.
I think that the math, reading and writing skills I had in eighth grade would qualify for most jobs. Most eighth graders today have computer skills that qualify for most jobs
Unfortunately, a lot of eighth graders today are not knowing as much as you and I did. Of course, I see primarily the dropouts.
our information age can compensate for quite a bit; what can you not learn on YouTube, or via the Internet, if you want to?

and diploma , big deal but parental teaching and reading is better than public schooling so home schooling is better . At least no liberal propaganda taught by parent unless wanted by parents while public schools take taxpayer money to liberally brainwash American school children .

---------------------------------------------------- illegals working jobs in the USA have no 'diplomas' , many can't even speak English or know enough to not wipe their azzez with their hands while picking fruits and vegetables picked for human consumption in the USA . As example , see all the Americans that get sick every year from eating 'third worlder' picked produce OldLady .
not even sure how this is more than a random bitching you're lobbing at her.

when you have a point, holler.

this is excellent . I speculate and guess that a lot of the jobs denied to American youth because of age were reserved for 'third worlders' coming into the USA illegaly . An inexperianced American youngster can't pound nails but the dumb third worlder can and the dumb third worlder will work cheaper with less complaining .
No one can find framers around here and have now taken to hiring Mexican crews. Work cheaper but I question quality of work.
No young people are entering field and could make damn good money in the trades.
right wing policies do that. all they do is pay lip service to their own propaganda.

a local union hall in the area was built with non-union labor.
Carpenters union is non existing here.
I have never worked a union job and never will. We voted it down.
I can get a job anywhere with my skills and can do better without a union. Ex union workers can't handle our pace.

I think that the math, reading and writing skills I had in eighth grade would qualify for most jobs. Most eighth graders today have computer skills that qualify for most jobs
Unfortunately, a lot of eighth graders today are not knowing as much as you and I did. Of course, I see primarily the dropouts.
yep. and that's why i'm saying we need to fix our system. i don't think that means throw it out and tell people to learn how to chop wood as a formal education, but i am saying offering up career choices/paths/assistance for all people can't be a bad thing in the end.

this is excellent . I speculate and guess that a lot of the jobs denied to American youth because of age were reserved for 'third worlders' coming into the USA illegaly . An inexperianced American youngster can't pound nails but the dumb third worlder can and the dumb third worlder will work cheaper with less complaining .
right wing policies do that. all they do is pay lip service to their own propaganda.

a local union hall in the area was built with non-union labor.
Carpenters union is non existing here.
I have never worked a union job and never will. We voted it down.
I can get a job anywhere with my skills and can do better without a union. Ex union workers can't handle our pace.
a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage would put upward pressure on wages and adjust for cost of living issues in some States.

But I see kids today with wicked computer skills. Their writing sucks because they have a Twitter mentality and rely too much on spell check

No doubt conservatives are hoping it DOES lead to more dropouts. Somebody has to make up the 3rd world labor force Trump is hoping to create so we can compete with unskilled 3rd world countries at jobs that have been obsolete here for decades.
Here we lost a lot of jobs overseas and you might call them "unskilled" but making shoes and sewing shirts ain't something all of us would be good at. I have respect for what they did. If those jobs were obsolete, the businesses wouldn't have moved overseas to hire cheap labor.
I said obsolete here. 3rd world busy work stopped paying a living wage here decades ago.
It fed plenty of families here. Two-worker families, naturally.
Yeah, decades ago.

But I see kids today with wicked computer skills. Their writing sucks because they have a Twitter mentality and rely too much on spell check
To what i said a few posts up, computer programming is really the new form a building. I.e. being able to swing a hammer, work with wood, plumb, drywall, etc. It's just know some languages and how to orient the commands to get the software to do what you want it to do. No reason to need college for that. Apprenticeship in coding is pretty much the exact same as one in learning how to plumb, just in the virtual space instead of the physical one.

i graduated college in 88. i was told i must have that degree to get anywhere. since that time i don't think anyone has asked about it, nor has my GPA ever been brought up in a job or during an interview.

again - don't get me wrong - i agree we need to show and keep a baseline. but what we teach them in HS maybe needs to evolve as well. how we teach them certainly does. i'm not saying abandon it, i'm saying fix it.
I agree, but that's not really what this thread is about.
Vocational training is a big improvement in my book. For too long, too many kids were told that everyone needed college in order to be successful in life. Maybe 25% are college material. The rest are kids who should go to trade school or get jobs straight out of high school and using their experience, working their way as far up the ladder as they can go. Someone NEEDS to be the janitor or the flagger on the road construction crew, the waitress or the lawn crew, and that shouldn't be dismissed as "loser" work.

kids were taught some practical skills back in my school days in the 50s and 60s . Girls learned the basic skills of cooking , boys learned some carpentry or shop , how to change a car tire , build some wood work projects , weld , build a house . -------------- its my opinion that they stopped teaching these basic skills as a way to get everyone to pay money to eat at restaurants . WHO works the restaurants , why 'juan mccain' says that its a dumb third worlders because a 15 year old American can't run a dish washing machine or a hot grease fryer [safety concerns] but a dumb 18 year old third worlder can .

Great! Maybe we won't need to use writing much longer. Who knows.

To what i said a few posts up, computer programming is really the new form a building. I.e. being able to swing a hammer, work with wood, plumb, drywall, etc. It's just know some languages and how to orient the commands to get the software to do what you want it to do. No reason to need college for that. Apprenticeship in coding is pretty much the exact same as one in learning how to plumb, just in the virtual space instead of the physical one.
Turn them into hackers and comsec experts

I think they can hack with the best of them

I agree, but that's not really what this thread is about.
Vocational training is a big improvement in my book. For too long, too many kids were told that everyone needed college in order to be successful in life. Maybe 25% are college material. The rest are kids who should go to trade school or get jobs straight out of high school and using their experience, working their way as far up the ladder as they can go. Someone NEEDS to be the janitor or the flagger on the road construction crew, the waitress or the lawn crew, and that shouldn't be dismissed as "loser" work.
ok - if i derailed it, apologies. i think in the end we agree. i'd love to see us put a real effort into improving our educational system and focusing on education, not social issues as a method of teaching.

college can and should still have a place in the world. always. but given it's price point these days and the lack of jobs for many coming out into the workforce, trade schools and a "mike rowe" approach i'd love to see.

kids were taught some practical skills back in my school days in the 50s and 60s . Girls learned the basic skills of cooking , boys learned some carpentry or shop , how to change a car tire , build some wood work projects , weld , build a house . -------------- its my opinion that they stopped teaching these basic skills as a way to get everyone to pay money to eat at restaurants . WHO works the restaurants , why 'juan mccain' says that its a dumb third worlders because a 15 year old American can't run a dish washing machine or a hot grease fryer [safety concerns] but a dumb 18 year old third worlder can .
I’d like to see them teach Home Economics

Not cooking, ironing and sewing but the economics of running a home. Budgeting, how to read a lease, how to take out a loan, how credit works, how to fill out your taxes

sure RWinger , but cooking at home from scratch is good . No need for spending money on a credit card or buying prepackaged meal if a guy can cook from scratch . Eggs , noodles , mashed and fried potato , hamburgers . Its all good to know , my MOM taught me at a very early age to cook RWinger .

sure RWinger , but cooking at home from scratch is good . No need for spending money on a credit card or buying prepackaged meal if a guy can cook from scratch . Eggs , noodles , mashed and fried potato , hamburgers . Its all good to know , my MOM taught me at a very early age to cook RWinger .
My theory is that why a lot of people are obese and unhealthy is they don't know HOW to cook simple meals for themselves or pick out what they should have in their diet on a routine basis. And of course, it is a lot cheaper to eat at home. Everyone should know how to cook enough to keep themselves fed.

Forum List

Back