President Trump to roll back rules on jobs teens can have

sure RWinger , but cooking at home from scratch is good . No need for spending money on a credit card or buying prepackaged meal if a guy can cook from scratch . Eggs , noodles , mashed and fried potato , hamburgers . Its all good to know , my MOM taught me at a very early age to cook RWinger .
I picked it up on my own and learned from my mistakes

In addition to basic cooking and nutrition, I’d like to see basic home ownership. How to spakle and paint a wall, how to fix a toilet, how to replace a faucet, wiring, how to set up an Internet

The Trump administration wants to unwind child labor laws

I agree 100%. I was doing a TON of those jobs when I was 10 or 11. Splitting wood with wood splitter,helping build buildings with my grandfather,operating dangerous equipment I did it all. This should be 100% let up to the teenager and their parents NOT the government. Its a different day and time now! This also could harm teens that want to follow these careers at 17 and have graduated early from HS or want to start college at 16 or 17 in these careers and can't do these jobs because of these dumb rules.
As long as it doesn't encourage kids to drop out of school. Getting a diploma is pretty necessary these days and once a kid drops out, it's damned hard for them to go back and earn their equivalency.
normally i'd agree but a diploma for what? our education system is far from "good". in fact we are the epitome of average.

U.S. Falls In World Education Rankings, Rated 'Average' | HuffPost

so if kids want a leg up on whatever career they should choose, then it's time we evaluated everything in how we can improve. i *do agree* they should stay in school for at least high school but after that, it is whatever works for that persons chosen career field.

i wish we had a president that would work on our educational system with more than words and a passing glance. we could and should be so much better than we are today.
The diploma is expected, even for bag boys at the supermarket now. Whether or not it's a good education, the employers are expecting it. The military has really cracked down on it, too. Very few dropouts who returned for their GED's are getting in. Twenty years ago, that was not the case.
i graduated college in 88. i was told i must have that degree to get anywhere. since that time i don't think anyone has asked about it, nor has my GPA ever been brought up in a job or during an interview.

again - don't get me wrong - i agree we need to show and keep a baseline. but what we teach them in HS maybe needs to evolve as well. how we teach them certainly does. i'm not saying abandon it, i'm saying fix it.
I agree, but that's not really what this thread is about.
Vocational training is a big improvement in my book. For too long, too many kids were told that everyone needed college in order to be successful in life. Maybe 25% are college material. The rest are kids who should go to trade school or get jobs straight out of high school and using their experience, working their way as far up the ladder as they can go. Someone NEEDS to be the janitor or the flagger on the road construction crew, the waitress or the lawn crew, and that shouldn't be dismissed as "loser" work.

This.
Nail on the head correct.
Not so long ago, a family only needed one breadwinner to provide for it. My dad did so for his wife and kids, my wife's father did so for his. My dad was military, and although some times were hard, we made it through until us kids were old enough and mom decided she was tired of picking up after 4 kids that she rejoined the workforce, by choice. My in laws, same story but 7 kids to provide for... and she became a nurse.
Your last comment above... "loser work," I believe, has been imprinted on all of us to some extent, by the societal need of "being better" than those before us. A janitor doesn't want his kids cleaning toilets for a living, a waiter/waitress/server, who's done it for a long time, wants better for their offspring, the flagman, doesn't want their kids out in the weather, etc etc etc. Truth be told, nothing wrong with it, and sticking with it means you are employed. Doesn't pay as well as a CEO, but at the same time, it pays. No one, or at least very, very few comes out of college, with a degree, and starts at the top of the food chain.. gotta start somewhere.... great points you make, wish more people were aware of them.

The Trump administration wants to unwind child labor laws

I agree 100%. I was doing a TON of those jobs when I was 10 or 11. Splitting wood with wood splitter,helping build buildings with my grandfather,operating dangerous equipment I did it all. This should be 100% let up to the teenager and their parents NOT the government. Its a different day and time now! This also could harm teens that want to follow these careers at 17 and have graduated early from HS or want to start college at 16 or 17 in these careers and can't do these jobs because of these dumb rules.
As long as it doesn't encourage kids to drop out of school. Getting a diploma is pretty necessary these days and once a kid drops out, it's damned hard for them to go back and earn their equivalency.
No doubt conservatives are hoping it DOES lead to more dropouts. Somebody has to make up the 3rd world labor force Trump is hoping to create so we can compete with unskilled 3rd world countries at jobs that have been obsolete here for decades.
Here we lost a lot of jobs overseas and you might call them "unskilled" but making shoes and sewing shirts ain't something all of us would be good at. I have respect for what they did. If those jobs were obsolete, the businesses wouldn't have moved overseas to hire cheap labor.
Lady in 1963............ 97% of all clothing worn in America was made in America,this was skilled workman/womanship......today only 3% of clothing worn by Americans is Made in America....and the 97% now made overseas is called Unskilled Labour,WHY IS THAT?steve

normally i'd agree but a diploma for what? our education system is far from "good". in fact we are the epitome of average.

so if kids want a leg up on whatever career they should choose, then it's time we evaluated everything in how we can improve. i *do agree* they should stay in school for at least high school but after that, it is whatever works for that persons chosen career field.

i wish we had a president that would work on our educational system with more than words and a passing glance. we could and should be so much better than we are today.
The diploma is expected, even for bag boys at the supermarket now. Whether or not it's a good education, the employers are expecting it. The military has really cracked down on it, too. Very few dropouts who returned for their GED's are getting in. Twenty years ago, that was not the case.
i graduated college in 88. i was told i must have that degree to get anywhere. since that time i don't think anyone has asked about it, nor has my GPA ever been brought up in a job or during an interview.

again - don't get me wrong - i agree we need to show and keep a baseline. but what we teach them in HS maybe needs to evolve as well. how we teach them certainly does. i'm not saying abandon it, i'm saying fix it.
Vocational training is a big improvement in my book. For too long, too many kids were told that everyone needed college in order to be successful in life. Maybe 25% are college material. The rest are kids who should go to trade school or get jobs straight out of high school and using their experience, working their way as far up the ladder as they can go. Someone NEEDS to be the janitor or the flagger on the road construction crew, the waitress or the lawn crew, and that shouldn't be dismissed as "loser" work.

This.
Not so long ago, a family only needed one breadwinner to provide for it. My dad did so for his wife and kids, my wife's father did so for his. My dad was military, and although some times were hard, we made it through until us kids were old enough and mom decided she was tired of picking up after 4 kids that she rejoined the workforce, by choice. My in laws, same story but 7 kids to provide for... and she became a nurse.
Your last comment above... "loser work," I believe, has been imprinted on all of us to some extent, by the societal need of "being better" than those before us. A janitor doesn't want his kids cleaning toilets for a living, a waiter/waitress/server, who's done it for a long time, wants better for their offspring, the flagman, doesn't want their kids out in the weather, etc etc etc. Truth be told, nothing wrong with it, and sticking with it means you are employed. Doesn't pay as well as a CEO, but at the same time, it pays. No one, or at least very, very few comes out of college, with a degree, and starts at the top of the food chain.. gotta start somewhere.... great points you make, wish more people were aware of them.
Will YOU Damndude...PLEASE STOP YOUR DOG SHITTING ON THIS SITE(see avie)...LOL...steve

Last edited:

ok - if i derailed it, apologies. i think in the end we agree. i'd love to see us put a real effort into improving our educational system and focusing on education, not social issues as a method of teaching.

college can and should still have a place in the world. always. but given it's price point these days and the lack of jobs for many coming out into the workforce, trade schools and a "mike rowe" approach i'd love to see.
Not sure we can get away from the social issues as teachable points. With the flow of information, disinformation, et al, and the inescapable fact that political parties have hijacked certain foundations within our country, (evangelicals lining up with the right, unions [normally] with the left) I just don't see any way to turn it around and have the educational system fixed in a way that would keep everyone happy.
My daughter and I think very much alike, yet she has seen first hand how some high school teachers and now college professors go outside the scope of a given subject. Most recently, her anatomy and biology professor forced her way into a discussion 2 students were having before class, and unequivocally stated how the students were deranged and illogical because of their political leanings..... nothing to do with what was supposed to be covered in that class time... so yeah, it needs to be fixed, but how???

My kids had one option upon high school graduation.....they were going to college no questions asked. No hanging around home working for a beginning wage, no military, no part time jobs, no nothing but college. After they got their degrees then they had options. All 4 are doing quite well because of it. I saved to help out them through. America is basically a god awful rat race once one enters the work force and the end game is a bout nothing more than the dollar. Really no other way to look at it. That degree was the whole key.

I think this is great. All my friends and I worked in the fields when I was a kid. Everyone had to make deals with the football coach because they couldn't start practice until the work season was over. I know most of those jobs don't exist anymore, but today my son isn't even allowed to work at KFC until he is sixteen. It is hard teaching them how to work when most of them are not allowed until their junior year. Education is crucial and should never take second place, but think back to the kids you went to school with. What percent do you think went to college? Developing skills and a work history is a very good thing. A good option to a lesbian studies degree.

This.
------------------------------------------------ same experience for me . DAD paid the way for 5 kids and a stay at home wife with one job for over 50 years of marriage and a good retirement deal . Nowadays i see a married couple each working a WalMart job at different hours and schedule and the babies in day care . [nothing wrong with walmart] But boy , things sure have changed for the worse imo . Just a comment DDude . --------------------- [off topic comment is that it seems to me that my curse on millenials and young hip hopper types is working out]

Last edited:
we need to distinguish between recreation and leisure. leisure tries to become the center of life, recreation is an escape used to restore people, to re-create folks, so that they can get back to being productive for the glory of God and the good of their neighbor.

Forum List

Back