Price of lumber drops below 2018 levels...

Nothing new when you go from zero to sixty in 5.4 seconds. They were told this is going to be transitory inflation..

Anyone else been watching for this?

This is the mill to distributor prices... but hopefully soon to be reflected in retail pricing after the existing stock is sold...

Which really only shows there was no justification for the record rise to start with. It's things like this (unstable prices) that can be a major drag on the economy.

The Right will need to put away their Carter memes.
Not quite yet, they won't. It remains to be seen, for example, how long fuel prices will remain high. The price of lumber was easily fixed as supply ramped up to meet demand, and everyone knew that would happen. Quid Pro's policies regarding oil, however, will have a longer lasting effect. There was a reason the Peace President was able to bring fuel prices down as far as he did.

Not quite yet, they won't. It remains to be seen, for example, how long fuel prices will remain high. The price of lumber was easily fixed as supply ramped up to meet demand, and everyone knew that would happen. Quid Pro's policies regarding oil, however, will have a longer lasting effect. There was a reason the Peace President was able to bring fuel prices down as far as he did.
Yeah, it's called a crashing economy with little to no activity.

Supply chains are getting back online. Demand is slowing somewhat. This wasn't normal inflation.
I hope you're right.

I'm not confident...but if we see other indicators following this path that will be welcome news.

Which really only shows there was no justification for the record rise to start with. It's things like this (unstable prices) that can be a major drag on the economy.
Lumber demand went up during the pandemic shutdowns. Stuck at home with nothing to do, DIY homeowners started building a lot of stuff. Suddenly they had time to build that deck or that fence or finish that basement that they wanted to do for so long but never had the time.

And new single family home construction increased by 12% in 2020. Remodeling increased by 7%.

At the same time sawmills were being shut down by the pandemic restrictions.

Last edited:
Lumber demand went up during the pandemic shutdowns. Stuck at home with nothing to do, DIY homeowners started building a lot of stuff. Suddenly they had time to build that deck or that fence or remodel that basement.

And new home construction increased by 12% in 2020.

At the same time sawmills were being shut down by the pandemic restrictions.

All known to be temporary.

Cool, I can go buy 2 x 4's now. :113:
Ain't that the truth.

I HAD to buy some...treated 2x4x8s..nine bucks a piece.

I've laid a tool shed floor last year right before prices shot up.

Even then IMO prices were high.

Been looking at this floor decking for about a year kicking myself for not buying all the materials at the same time... but honestly... what laymen could have predicted this kind of increase...

Anyhow...short story long... I'll be glad to finally get it done.

Forum List

Back