Proof of Education Being Dumbed Down

AngryCitizen

Rookie
Mar 9, 2014
Hello. I'm new to this forum, so if I posted it in the wrong place, I apologize.

I've read recent news that the SAT has been changed to meet "Common Core Standards". They're eliminating the essay and difficult vocabulary words. I've seen a long decline in educational standards since i went to school, and I'd like to share my story.

I'm retired right now, but I substitute time to time at the local area high school where I went to 50 years ago. I often give out tests(teachers tend to be absent those days) and it's sad when I compare the material of the exams I had to the material they have now.

I kept a file folder of some old high school exams, and it's depressing to compare the two.
History:
50 years ago: Write down all 24 amendments(25-27 weren't enacted yet when I took this) to the Constitution. For the amendments from the 11th onward, explain their significance and the events that led up to them.
Now: The 2nd amendment guarantees what right in the Constitution? A. Right to free Speech B. Right to bear arms C. Right to own property D. Right to free association
Algebra II
50 years ago: The population of a city in 1950 was 30,000. In 1958, it was 39,0000.
a) Find the value of k assuming y = y0*e^(-kt)
b) Using the value of k, predict the population of the city in 2005.
Now: Evaluate ln(e^4)
Precalculus:
50 years ago:
Prove that cos(x) + tan(x) = sec(x)csc(x)
Now: Evaluate sin(90 degrees)
Calculus:
50 years ago: Prove that the limit of x+3 as x approaches 6 is 9 using the delta-epsilon definition of a limit
Now: Find the limit of x+3 as x approaches 6 (seriously!)
Chemistry:
50 years ago: a) Describe the intermolecular and intramolecular attractions when water is dropped onto a polarized glass and justify them at a molecular level.. Explain how the terms surface tension, contact angle, and hydrophilic apply to this scenario. Part b) To increase the contact angle of water with the surface, the glass is replaced with wax paper and water is transferred to it. Explain why this is using a similar approach as with part a.
Now: A solution with a pH of 3 is: a) Acidic; b) Neutral; c) Basic
Physics:
50 years ago: A disk of mass M = 2.0 kg and radius R = 0.10 m is supported by a rope of negligible mass. The rope is attached to the ceiling at one end and passes under the disk. The other end of the rope is pulled upward with a force F . The rotational inertia of the disk around its center is 2 MR 2 .
(a) Calculate the magnitude of the force F necessary to hold the disk at rest.
At time t = 0, the force FA is increased to 12 N, causing the disk to accelerate upward. The rope does not slip on the disk as the disk rotates.
(b) Calculate the linear acceleration of the disk.
(c) Calculate the angular speed of the disk at t = 3.0 s.
(d) Calculate the increase in total mechanical energy of the disk from t = 0 to t = 3.0 s.
(e) The disk is replaced by a hoop of the same mass and radius. Indicate whether the linear acceleration of the hoop is greater than, less than, or the same as the linear acceleration of the disk. Justify your answer
Now: A car begins at rest and accelerates at 5 m/s^2 over a period of 8 seconds. What is the car's final speed after the 8 seconds
English:
50 years ago(Closed book, 50 minutes): Without using your book, explain the use of dark/light imagery in The Crucible. Include specific quotes with references to the chapter numbers to support your argument.
Now(OPEN-BOOK) The Crucible is about what?
A. The Revolutionary War B. The Salem Witch Trials C. Shay's Rebellion d. Cortes's Expedition

If this doesn't convince you how dumbed down our society has gotten, I don't know what will.

When I think about the quality education I got versus what kids are getting now, it's just sad.

Last edited:
Hello. I'm new to this forum, so if I posted it in the wrong place, I apologize.

I've read recent news that the SAT has been changed to meet "Common Core Standards". They're eliminating the essay and difficult vocabulary words. I've seen a long decline in educational standards since i went to school, and I'd like to share my story.

I'm retired right now, but I substitute time to time at the local area high school where I went to 50 years ago. I often give out tests(teachers tend to be absent those days) and it's sad when I compare the material of the exams I had to the material they have now.

I kept a file folder of some old high school exams, and it's depressing to compare the two.
History:
50 years ago: Write down all 24 amendments(25-27 weren't enacted yet when I took this) to the Constitution. For the amendments from the 11th onward, explain their significance and the events that led up to them.
Now: The 2nd amendment guarantees what right in the Constitution? A. Right to free Speech B. Right to bear arms C. Right to own property D. Right to free association
Algebra II
50 years ago: The population of a city in 1950 was 30,000. In 1958, it was 39,0000.
Precalculus:
50 years ago:
Calculus:
50 years ago: Prove that the limit of x+3 as x approaches 6 is 9 using the delta-epsilon definition of a limit
Chemistry:
50 years ago: a) Describe the intermolecular and intramolecular attractions when water is dropped onto a polarized glass and justify them at a molecular level.. Explain how the terms surface tension, contact angle, and hydrophilic apply to this scenario. Part b) To increase the contact angle of water with the surface, the glass is replaced with wax paper and water is transferred to it. Explain why this is using a similar approach as with part a.
Physics:
50 years ago: A disk of mass M = 2.0 kg and radius R = 0.10 m is supported by a rope of negligible mass. The rope is attached to the ceiling at one end and passes under the disk. The other end of the rope is pulled upward with a force F . The rotational inertia of the disk around its center is 2 MR 2 .
At time t = 0, the force FA is increased to 12 N, causing the disk to accelerate upward. The rope does not slip on the disk as the disk rotates.
(d) Calculate the increase in total mechanical energy of the disk from t = 0 to t = 3.0 s.
(e) The disk is replaced by a hoop of the same mass and radius. Indicate whether the linear acceleration of the hoop is greater than, less than, or the same as the linear acceleration of the disk. Justify your answer
Now: A car begins at rest and accelerates at 5 m/s^2 over a period of 8 seconds. What is the car's final speed after the 8 seconds
English:
50 years ago(Closed book, 50 minutes): Without using your book, explain the use of dark/light imagery in The Crucible. Include specific quotes with references to the chapter numbers to support your argument.
A. The Revolutionary War B. The Salem Witch Trials C. Shay's Rebellion d. Cortes's Expedition

If this doesn't convince you how dumbed down our society has gotten, I don't know what will.

When I think about the quality education I got versus what kids are getting now, it's just sad.

As a current student, I've got to say, those questions from 50 years ago sound really difficult(except for the trig/chemistry/algebra ones, as I've taken AP Chem/Honors PreCalc/Honors Algebra II).

Generally, unless you're taking predominantly AP/Honors classes, it's extremely easy, even at my school which is #6 in Indiana.

The current questions look so easy it's sickening. pH? That's 6th grade stuff!

"This generation was raised to value self-esteem above discipline and achievement. Consequently, students are feeling better than ever about themselves while performing worse. We have become a nation of narcissists."

That's easy to see here. It's all about them. Society. never heard of it.

History:
Algebra II
Precalculus:
50 years ago:
Calculus:
Chemistry:
Physics:
English:

Solution?

All it's doing is making it easier for parents to throw money away by sending their children to the various Institutes of Liberalism where they will sit through classes designed to further numb their little minds.

And we will have many more users and far less makers. :(

solution is to make tests hard and prepare kids for them, Teach real subjects and not liberal bullshit like environmental crap, sex ed, how to live with someone, ect and let kids know there are right and wrong answers to problems. IT's not that hard, it's curriculum and expectation. We have shitty of both now....but why improve things when hey they could become stupid, worthless sheep that will need government programs...hmmmmm

H. . . . . I kept a file folder of some old high school exams, and it's depressing to compare the two.
History:
Now: The [/B
]2nd amendment guarantees what right in the Constitution? A. Right to free Speech B. Right to bear arms C. Right to own property D. Right to free association
Algebra II.

Fucking fool. You plagiarized and that is probably how you got through school. Don't waste our tine.

Yahoo Answers - Isn't it sad how much liberals have dumbed down education?

21 hours ago - 50 years ago: Write down all 24 amendments(25-27 weren't enacted yet when I took this) to the Constitution. For the amendments from the 11th onward, explain their significance and the events that led up to them. Now: The ...

H. . . . . I kept a file folder of some old high school exams, and it's depressing to compare the two.
History:
]2nd amendment guarantees what right in the Constitution? A. Right to free Speech B. Right to bear arms C. Right to own property D. Right to free association
Algebra II.

Fucking fool. You plagiarized and that is probably how you got through school. Don't waste our tine.

21 hours ago - 50 years ago: Write down all 24 amendments(25-27 weren't enacted yet when I took this) to the Constitution. For the amendments from the 11th onward, explain their significance and the events that led up to them. Now: The ...

That was ME who posted that on Yahoo Answers, you knucklehead.

I posted it 1 day ago. Yahoo Answers has thousands of questions daily in their politics section alone. Do you really think I would scour through such a vast forum just to post this here?

No. I posted this because I care about my country and can't stand seeing it under attack.

Of course it's being dumbed down...because there are no jobs for 8th grade graduates, instead of still keeping it tough to graduate from HS and college, they dumb it down to keep parents happy. Here in CA, they've have to postpone the HS exit exam several times because of parential lawsuits when their darlings don't pass. Keep in mind, the test is set at the 8th grade level and they get to try every year from 9th grade on...once they pass, whenever they pass...they don't have to take it again. And many still don't pass and look to parents to bail them out.

I can remember while in my school daze, the old timers said we were dumber and would lead the world to ruin.

Don't worry, the next generation of oldies will say the same....

I can remember while in my school daze, the old timers said we were dumber and would lead the world to ruin.

Don't worry, the next generation of oldies will say the same....

Indeed. It is worth pointing out that problems exist, though they're certainly not uniformly distributed. Inner-city school districts suck, while suburban/rural ones are mostly fine.

History:
Algebra II.

I posted it 1 day ago. Yahoo Answers has thousands of questions daily in their politics section alone. Do you really think I would scour through such a vast forum just to post this here?

No. I posted this because I care about my country and can't stand seeing it under attack.

then YOU need to link that post.

Yes, I agree that my jr high exams were harder generally in English and the social sciences.

That is easily correctable, but the millenials have to see a correlation before they will buy off on grampa's point of view (you and me, gramps).

History:
Algebra II.

then YOU need to link that post.

Yes, I agree that my jr high exams were harder generally in English and the social sciences.

That is easily correctable, but the millenials have to see a correlation before they will buy off on grampa's point of view (you and me, gramps).

They literally don't comprehend at all a world of Stalin, Lenin, Franco, Hitler, Mussoline, Tojo, and so forth and so on. WWII and Korea and Vietnam to them has as much meaning as did the Spanish American War to us.

Instruction needs to reach them through technology and social media.

Otherwise, they won't listen.

Forum List

Back