Protect yourself

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
A Cop Stops You at a Festival: The ?Know Your Rights? Infographic ? Showbams

Good advice in other than "festival" circumstances.

IMO, nothing dumber than arguing with a cop or being rude to a cop.

festivallawyer_embed.jpg

it's always best to keep your mouth shut, but also remember that the cop's a human being, too, might have all kinds of stress, sick kid, PTSD, divorce, etc. So, while protecting yourself, try not to be a jerk and make his life difficult, either. He's got a job to do. Make sure you know what the line is between him doing his job and his being a nazi a-hole.

I love it when I watch "Cops" and the police ask "May I search your vehicle?"

The guy (usually not wearing a shirt) says yes, and the cops find drugs

Why would you consent to a search?

I've consented a few times, and they either let it slide, or did a very casual search. They figure you have nothing or you wouldn't have consented. If you don't consent, expect to be arrested for some bs charge. then your car gets searched "for inventory responsibility", or "inevitable discovery" of any contraband or evidence will be claimed, if you are arrested, cause they WOULD have searched it after/before towing it. Cop can arrest you for ANY bs charge, and nothing is going to be done to him. So it's your call about whether or not to allow a search. Either way, if a cop WANTS to search you, you got problems.

It is strange that with all the cop shows on TV and all the times we see it, people still have no real clue about their rights.

LOL That shit really pisses cops off.

While videotaping: "Officer, I am not interfering with you in any way. I am just documenting this arrest...etc."

LOL That makes them want to kill you. Make sure you are not alone with them if you do that.

I don't like cops and I don't like losing my freedom. So if a cop stops me I just kiss their ass. I don't do drugs, or even drink booze or smoke tobacco, so they're not going to find anything anyway.

One time they had surrounded my house :eek: Luckily I worked right across the street and coworkers told me what was going on, or the fuckers probably would have bashed my door down and then killed my dogs when they tried to protect their territory.

I ran across the street and asked if I could help them. They had been informed that some fugitive from justice was hanging out at my house. Well, they had the wrong house. I told them I'd never heard of the person and that they were welcome to come in and have a look around. That diffused the whole situation, they declined to come in and they left. I even called them later and told them I'd figured out that whoever informed them probably meant the house across from me, where all kinds of shady comings and goings occurred. The officer in charge of the investigation thanked me. I actually think they were a little embarrassed.

Yeah, I try not to antagonize cops. Not worth it.

Last edited:

festivallawyer_embed.jpg

I would advise both police and civilians to always have other witnesses present, for the sake of mutual safety.

Also it helps if you
* don't wear a hoodie or gang tattooes
* don't carry pot, or other questionable substances, not even candy and soda for making Lean.
If this becomes a nationalized incident, your image will be picked apart based on what you were caught carrying.
* don't have a criminal record, don't be an illegal/undocumented worker
* don't have attention deficit, mental illness, or other condition that makes you vulnerable to misunderstood reactions that can be seen as noncompliance, resistance or criminal signs.

* know the police personally or have other common contacts or common references,
especially if you have worked with police on community outreach before so people know you are not a problem

The best advantage is having a connection with the community, knowing people in advance and having positive relations.
If you give off negative vibes of any sort, this can be misread and misunderstood as criminal if confronted by an officer.

festivallawyer_embed.jpg

I would advise both police and civilians to always have other witnesses present, for the sake of mutual safety.

Also it helps if you
* don't carry pot, or other questionable substances, not even candy and soda for making Lean.
If this becomes a nationalized incident, your image will be picked apart based on what you were caught carrying.
* don't have attention deficit, mental illness, or other condition that makes you vulnerable to misunderstood reactions that can be seen as noncompliance, resistance or criminal signs.

* know the police personally or have other common contacts or common references,
especially if you have worked with police on community outreach before so people know you are not a problem

The best advantage is having a connection with the community, knowing people in advance and having positive relations.
If you give off negative vibes of any sort, this can be misread and misunderstood as criminal if confronted by an officer.

Actually, if you're white, the hoodie is fine. I think tats are stupid and ugly but I've never known them to be proof of criminal activity.

Candy? Soda? And I have no idea what "Lean" is.

Most people don't know cops personally. That's a dumb thing to suggest. Knowing the right people is hardly a worthwhile suggestion either.

The mentally ill cannot choose the nature of their illness. Mental illness is not a crime.

Criminal record is not proof of a crime or an excuse for being shot by a cop.

Not sure what might construe "negative vibes" but, if you're black, you can be shot on the spot for such things as following the cop's order and reaching for your driver's license.

emilynghiem, I read this post of yours because it wasn't your usual three pages of rambling but really, its very typical of the nonsense you write.

festivallawyer_embed.jpg

Also it helps if you

Actually, if you're white, the hoodie is fine. I think tats are stupid and ugly but I've never known them to be proof of criminal activity.

Candy? Soda? And I have no idea what "Lean" is.

Most people don't know cops personally. That's a dumb thing to suggest. Knowing the right people is hardly a worthwhile suggestion either.

The mentally ill cannot choose the nature of their illness. Mental illness is not a crime.

Criminal record is not proof of a crime or an excuse for being shot by a cop.

Not sure what might construe "negative vibes" but, if you're black, you can be shot on the spot for such things as following the cop's order and reaching for your driver's license.

emilynghiem, I read this post of yours because it wasn't your usual three pages of rambling but really, its very typical of the nonsense you write.

Hi Luddly Neddite:
It was partially sarcastic, especially the part about "Don't be mentally ill"
Sorry if you didn't catch that!

Do you get it now?

I love it when I watch "Cops" and the police ask "May I search your vehicle?"

The guy (usually not wearing a shirt) says yes, and the cops find drugs

Why would you consent to a search?
the "people" on that show RW that the Cops stop are usually not to bright....

Forum List

Back