Protests: Fifty Shades as Glamorizing Domestic Violence

ps ChrisL right now this looks like a vicious cycle
people miss your point think you are being unfoundedly judgmental
then when they attack you for it,
you judge them for that when they are trying to express objection to something missing,
and then you do come across as judgmental
back and forth

so your point is being missed by reinforcing this perception which you do not intend

if it is scientifically proven to be sick like cancer
nobody judges anyone for having cancer they didn't choose
so this judgmental perception would stop
and the focus would be on finding and curing cases of sickness without judgment attached.

I think you are taking this board much too seriously.

I take all people seriously. Even if they post symbolic or even fabricated
things, as you point out can be from anything and can't be confirmed as true,
I can still work with people and learn from them.

That's wonderful. :) That's not why I'm here though. I'm a social kind of person and I like to give my opinions on subjects. That is all. If people want to "attack" me . . . that is fine too, I'm guilty of doing the same sometimes. Do I get annoyed with people sometimes? Sure. Does it effect my real life? Not at all. As soon as I log off, I become busy with my own life and my own problems and most of the time forget all about it. I try to not hold a grudge because it's only a message board; however, I have decided to start using the ignore function, so that I can be a nicer person. Some people . . . it's just impossible for me to be kind to because of their attitudes, but that's okay too. I don't miss them because I don't know them and they aren't a part of my real life. For me, this forum is just for fun. I hope you understand that. :)

Fifty Shades of Grey premiere marred by protesters - Celebrity Buzz

Finally! I wasn't surprised by Christians protesting the film premiere as promoting unhealthy relations.

But these protestors hit home, protesting the "glamorization" of domestic violence
(while others claim the character wasn't coerced
but consented to the S&M as sexual exploration).

I was beginning to worry that most people were either hyping this up or brushing it off.
Glad to see some sign of intelligent response I can at least RELATE to.

============

The London premiere of raunchy movie Fifty Shades of Grey was marred by protest groups campaigning against domestic violence on Thursday night.

Members of the Fifty Shades is Domestic Violence campaign group descended on Leicester Square in the British capital armed with placards, balloons, T-shirts and a large banner to protest against the film’s portrayal of a kinky relationship while the stars Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan walked the grey carpet.

Other individuals held up placards to condemn the film for allegedly glamorising domestic violence, with one sign reading, “#BlueAboutGrey – because some Ana’s don’t survive their Christian’s (sic).”

Director Sam Taylor-Johnson addressed the calls of domestic violence to U.K. TV show Good Morning Britain, saying, “We took a very definite approach towards empowering Anastasia and she goes on a sexual exploration, but it’s one she goes on willingly and she consents throughout.”

Stars including Aaron Taylor-Johnson, author E.L. James, former Pussycat Doll Ashley Roberts and singer Jamelia also attended the premiere.

Lefties are anti-female. They see women as disposable sex machines, with no other value.

I'd say both prochoice and prolife, left and right,
are avoiding the issue of holding men accountable for rape and unwanted pregnancy
leading to abortion, and exploiting the focus on women which is lopsided.

I totally agree with that. It takes TWO to make a baby. :)

you judge them for that when they are trying to express objection to something missing,
back and forth

so your point is being missed by reinforcing this perception which you do not intend

and the focus would be on finding and curing cases of sickness without judgment attached.

I'm not judging them at all. I'm telling them that these are my opinions, and if my opinions upset them, so be it. I will not stop giving my opinions on subjects. That is why I joined the board. I'm not out to prove anything. K?

If you are saying all such people are sick
then if that includes them, you are saying they are sick.
And that is seen as judgmental if there isn't scientific proof.

I'm not referring to any specific people on this board, as I don't know them, I don't know if they are being truthful or not, and they are not a part of my life. I'm simply expressing my opinions on the subject matter. I have not singled out any ONE person here and called them personally "sick" as far as I can recall. Lol.

Wanna protest something "glamourizing domestic violence" how about we complain about nostalgia cable channels airing "The Honeymooners?" :)

"To the Moon Alice!"

Does she get abused? Is she bruised and bleeding with bruises and wounds? No? Okay then. :)

Yes, because abuse is only physical. There's no such thing as emotional abuse. Goodness, no! (sarcasm)

Wanna protest something "glamourizing domestic violence" how about we complain about nostalgia cable channels airing "The Honeymooners?" :)

"To the Moon Alice!"

Does she get abused? Is she bruised and bleeding with bruises and wounds? No? Okay then. :)

Yes, because abuse is only physical. There's no such thing as emotional abuse. Goodness, no! (sarcasm)

Well, sure there is definitely emotional abuse that occurs, but that was just an old-fashioned television show. I wouldn't get worked up about that. Things were a LOT different for women back in the old days. We've come a long way, baby!

"To the Moon Alice!"

Are y'all being sarcastic?
What do you mean no emotional abuse?

If physical abuse causes injury in the emotions, such as implanting and reinforcing
fear and unforgiveness where it prevents that person from functionally freely without such a burden "emotionally"
isn't that abuse on an "emotional" level where it hurts them "emotionally" and they don't want this?

If someone WANTS to go back to feeling peace and joy and happiness
as before the physical abuse occurred,
but are instead suffering PTSD and traumatic reactions
that make them unhappy and suffer "emotionally"
isn't that "emotional abuse" to take the physical abuse to that level of wounding the person?

Last edited:
back and forth

I'm not judging them at all. I'm telling them that these are my opinions, and if my opinions upset them, so be it. I will not stop giving my opinions on subjects. That is why I joined the board. I'm not out to prove anything. K?

I'm not referring to any specific people on this board, as I don't know them, I don't know if they are being truthful or not, and they are not a part of my life. I'm simply expressing my opinions on the subject matter. I have not singled out any ONE person here and called them personally "sick" as far as I can recall. Lol.

Okay Chris I get why you are getting mixed reactions and people are missing your points.
1. first, how do you expect people to get your point and take you seriously
if you don't take others seriously. you sound like you are serious to me,
then you say no, these people aren't anything to you so it doesn't matter.

I think this may be causing mixed signals, saying one thing as if it matters,
but it doesn't matter enough to pursue it.

Ironic, isn't it, that this is happening on a thread about rape sex and consent
and this is the kind of mixed signal that men and women complain about
misreading and causing harassment etc.

I didn't mean to harass you either, because I thought you were serious about defending your points
so I asked to explain because I care about the "point you said was being missed"

Well I didn't want to miss your point.

now I get that you wish you could be heard easily where you can just state your opinion,
but you are not willing to do all the serious interaction it takes if it gets missed
and requires an interactive explanation.

so Thanks Chris I get it. It is too taxing to do the serious work
in order for your point to be heard. if that's what it takes, no, you aren't that serious about it.

2. I thought you DID argue with me that someone WAS abusing his wife.

specifically I think the Anathema poster?

are you saying that his behavior he told you about isn't abusive enough to be sick?

What's your criteria then? Sorry if you aren't that serious, don't answer if this is harassing you.

I do want to know your points and lines that you draw, so I know where your limits more clearly.
and i can work with you respecting those. sorry don't mean to push if this is burdensome.

back and forth

Okay Chris I get why you are getting mixed reactions and people are missing your points.
1. first, how do you expect people to get your point and take you seriously
if you don't take others seriously. you sound like you are serious to me,
then you say no, these people aren't anything to you so it doesn't matter.

I think this may be causing mixed signals, saying one thing as if it matters,
but it doesn't matter enough to pursue it.

Ironic, isn't it, that this is happening on a thread about rape sex and consent
and this is the kind of mixed signal that men and women complain about
misreading and causing harassment etc.

I didn't mean to harass you either, because I thought you were serious about defending your points
so I asked to explain because I care about the "point you said was being missed"

Well I didn't want to miss your point.

now I get that you wish you could be heard easily where you can just state your opinion,
but you are not willing to do all the serious interaction it takes if it gets missed
and requires an interactive explanation.

so Thanks Chris I get it. It is too taxing to do the serious work
in order for your point to be heard. if that's what it takes, no, you aren't that serious about it.

2. I thought you DID argue with me that someone WAS abusing his wife.

specifically I think the Anathema poster?

are you saying that his behavior he told you about isn't abusive enough to be sick?

What's your criteria then? Sorry if you aren't that serious, don't answer if this is harassing you.

I do want to know your points and lines that you draw, so I know where your limits more clearly.
and i can work with you respecting those. sorry don't mean to push if this is burdensome.

Again, Emily, I don't know the poster. He is anonymous. I really don't know what you want from me.

Ah, she's simply an attention whore.

I have no patience for those.
Disir I understand that you have no patience for those,
but ChrisL is not one.

Very passionate, and honest enough to say what's going on her side.
Trying to resolve this openly. some projection going on, mutually,
but that's not the point of the conversation but a side effect of it.

Pfftt......she's an attention whore.

So, I put her on ignore.

Call it Sadism light.

4859902-beautiful-brunette-ass-lingerie-in-hot-bdsm-picture.jpg

2751077-incredible-bdsm-picture-with-beautiful-brunette.jpg

but ChrisL is not one.

So, I put her on ignore.

Call it Sadism light.

Lol.

Why We Need To Rethink The Attention Whore Label Emma Gray

Nova contends that our envy of other women and our lack of understanding for people who are different from us is part of what drives us to assign someone the label. She admits that her conservative Christian upbringing drove her to ridicule women who didn't fit that mold. "Basically, I learned that shaming those who craved attention and acted on their impulses was a necessary part of upholding my self-esteem as a woman, and the wider the distinction between myself and them, the better," she admitted.

^^^

And this too. :) This is certainly not the FIRST time I've been accused of being an "attention whore." Lol. I embrace it.

"I agree that envy absolutely plays a role when women brand each other attention seekers. When we feel insecure or uncomfortable about something it's difficult to see someone else's pain and discomfort get attention while we keep our own struggles private -- as we've been taught is appropriate. As that envy bubbles, ridicule can be the knee-jerk reaction."

but ChrisL is not one.

So, I put her on ignore.

Call it Sadism light.

Lol.

Nova contends that our envy of other women and our lack of understanding for people who are different from us is part of what drives us to assign someone the label. She admits that her conservative Christian upbringing drove her to ridicule women who didn't fit that mold. "Basically, I learned that shaming those who craved attention and acted on their impulses was a necessary part of upholding my self-esteem as a woman, and the wider the distinction between myself and them, the better," she admitted.

Is Attention Ho better? ppbbfftt

but ChrisL is not one.

So, I put her on ignore.

Call it Sadism light.

Lol.

Well, it's a known fact that envious women will call other women such names. :) Ho, whore, attention whore, amongst others.

but ChrisL is not one.

So, I put her on ignore.

Call it Sadism light.

Lol.

Oh, and Emily. I did find an article about how BDSM is a way to get away with abusing women. I'm not sure if I want to post it though, because it talks a lot about feminism. I don't REALLY consider myself a feminist as I enjoy my femininity, and I know that women cannot do EVERYTHING that men can do, and vice versa. But the article does make some valid points. Should I post it? I'm sure I'll get attacked as being a feminazi if I do. Lol. :D

but ChrisL is not one.

So, I put her on ignore.

Call it Sadism light.

Lol.

Well, it's a known fact that envious women will call other women such names. :) Ho, whore, attention whore, amongst others.
How about Attention Hog. I vote for that. And it can go for anyone.

but ChrisL is not one.

So, I put her on ignore.

Call it Sadism light.

Lol.

Oh, and Emily. I did find an article about how BDSM is a way to get away with abusing women. I'm not sure if I want to post it though, because it talks a lot about feminism. I don't REALLY consider myself a feminist as I enjoy my femininity, and I know that women cannot do EVERYTHING that men can do, and vice versa. But the article does make some valid points. Should I post it? I'm sure I'll get attacked as being a feminazi if I do. Lol. :D

You have free speech, feel free to share.
If anyone responds, we can have a nice conversation.
Floor is yours.

Oh, and I already have the perfect intro for you to use as bump music:
http www.houstonprogressive.org

but ChrisL is not one.

So, I put her on ignore.

Call it Sadism light.

Lol.

How about Attention Hog. I vote for that. And it can go for anyone.

That is still an indicator of envy. :D Not acceptable to call other women names because you are envious.

Forum List

Back