QB's Who Should Think of Retiring?

Rivers hasn't missed a game in 14 years.

He hasn't looked to good the last couple of weeks, I am not saying he will get injured but is fatigue a bigger factor on the older QBs?
The quality of competition might have something to do with how Rivers looks.
He's the most accurate QB in the league.
Even the greatest have bad games.
His team has to play well to help him.
There's maybe 2 guys on Defense that are ruining the entire team.
Hopefully those guys will be playing for someone else next season.

Drew Brees is the most accurate starting QB in the league, not Rivers. Brees also owns the record for highest completion % in a season, which he might break this year (he's currently at 74.4%, his record is 72% from last year) and has the highest career completion %.

While Brees has slowed down some in the second half of the season, he's still one of the best in the league. Against the Steelers he was 27/39 for 326 yards, 1 TD, no picks. Not too shabby. I think he's still fine.
Brady has looked very mortal this year. I think he may be done after the season, but I won't count on it until he's officially retired, despite his age.
Rivers has had a strong year as well, but his offensive line failed pretty badly in the game against the Ravens. That Ravens defense is no joke, however, being the top scoring D in the league. I think Rivers could play at least another year based on what I've seen this year.
Big Ben has thrown too many picks, but he's still at worst a middle-of-the-pack QB. He's first in yards, attempts, and completions. He's tied for first in picks with 15, but he's also got 33 TD passes. I've never considered him an elite QB, so I think he'd be fine to keep playing as well.

It's possible that any or all of the QBs are feeling their ages at the moment, but I don't think age is the only, or even the main, factor contributing to a drop in their performance. Mahomes has slowed down some (at least yardage-wise) since his remarkable start to the season, too, and he's only 23. Other than Brady, I think the QBs you've listed are just going through the usual ups and downs of a season. :dunno:
Gronk is no longer the can’t miss third down receiver
Brady doesn’t have the multiple tools he once relied on

Brady was never a QB need needed weapons. He made everyone better. He’s finally starting to slow down
Agree
But Gronk is not helping

I give them all at least another year maybe more

The league will not be the same without Brady, Brees, Eli, Big Ben and Rivers

Eli is not on the same tier as the other guys you mention. Yeah, he has two Super Bowls, but he won them with elite defenses and his super bowl runs were kind of flukey.

Eli is a HOF QB and carried both wins in the fourth quarter
Rivers is a great fantasy QB
Big Ben is another HOF
Brady and Brees are among the best ever

Without the two SB’s, granted you can’t them away from him, he did doesn’t get in to the hall of fame. As it stand he’s not a first ballet hall of famer like the other guys you mentioned, except for Rivers, and he has better stats than Eli.

He hasn't looked to good the last couple of weeks, I am not saying he will get injured but is fatigue a bigger factor on the older QBs?

Drew Brees is the most accurate starting QB in the league, not Rivers. Brees also owns the record for highest completion % in a season, which he might break this year (he's currently at 74.4%, his record is 72% from last year) and has the highest career completion %.

While Brees has slowed down some in the second half of the season, he's still one of the best in the league. Against the Steelers he was 27/39 for 326 yards, 1 TD, no picks. Not too shabby. I think he's still fine.
Brady has looked very mortal this year. I think he may be done after the season, but I won't count on it until he's officially retired, despite his age.
Rivers has had a strong year as well, but his offensive line failed pretty badly in the game against the Ravens. That Ravens defense is no joke, however, being the top scoring D in the league. I think Rivers could play at least another year based on what I've seen this year.
Big Ben has thrown too many picks, but he's still at worst a middle-of-the-pack QB. He's first in yards, attempts, and completions. He's tied for first in picks with 15, but he's also got 33 TD passes. I've never considered him an elite QB, so I think he'd be fine to keep playing as well.

It's possible that any or all of the QBs are feeling their ages at the moment, but I don't think age is the only, or even the main, factor contributing to a drop in their performance. Mahomes has slowed down some (at least yardage-wise) since his remarkable start to the season, too, and he's only 23. Other than Brady, I think the QBs you've listed are just going through the usual ups and downs of a season. :dunno:

Brady was never a QB need needed weapons. He made everyone better. He’s finally starting to slow down
Agree
But Gronk is not helping

I think Gronk retires after this year

Brady is 41, what he has done is nothing short of amazing but he seems to be slowing down, Brees the last three or four weeks looks like he is aging despite the weapons and the line. Father time catches us all and we now see LeBron with a groin injury, could all those minutes played finally be catching him?

Brady is 41, what he has done is nothing short of amazing but he seems to be slowing down, Brees the last three or four weeks looks like he is aging despite the weapons and the line. Father time catches us all and we now see LeBron with a groin injury, could all those minutes played finally be catching him?

Lebron is only 32 and imo hasn’t shown he’s slowing down yet. The MRI results came back from his groin injury and there showed to be no tear

Agree
But Gronk is not helping

After watching him this last game, I think he already retired.

Agree
But Gronk is not helping

After watching him this last game, I think he already retired.

I think he wanted to retire last off season, but the money lured him in

Eli is not on the same tier as the other guys you mention. Yeah, he has two Super Bowls, but he won them with elite defenses and his super bowl runs were kind of flukey.

Big Ben is another HOF

Without the two SB’s, granted you can’t them away from him, he did doesn’t get in to the hall of fame. As it stand he’s not a first ballet hall of famer like the other guys you mentioned, except for Rivers, and he has better stats than Eli.

Rivers, Eli and Ben have almost identical career stats. I think Eli still has the most passing yards

Eli has done something no other QB will ever do......He defeated a 15-1 team and an 18-0 team in the playoffs

Peyton Manning, Sam Bradford.

Peyton already retired, I think you mean ELY.
Yes he did.

Ely owns this thread

Ely is what Jay Cutler was for the Bears,a coach killer. the Bears owner always blamed the coach for Cutlers failures never admitting Cutler was the core of the problem and you could put Bill Parcells or Mike Holmgren out there,two excellent coachs and it would not matter in them winning games,same result would happen everytime. same thing here with Eli.

No! Ely won 2 Super Bowls. I don’t think Cutler won even 2 playoff games.

After Brees knocked a deflected pass out of the hands of a defensive back in the last game, there is nothing wrong with him. Brady could not and would not be able to do that. Rivers is long of tooth but as an acc Qb, I have a soft spot for him, and his team has made some great comebacks this year. My biggest take away at end of the season is that good defenses are reigning supreme and competitive teams are kicking it up a notch on their defenses. If there is a dark horse in the field for me, it is the bears, they could go all the way with their defense.

Big Ben is another HOF

Rivers, Eli and Ben have almost identical career stats. I think Eli still has the most passing yards

Eli has done something no other QB will ever do......He defeated a 15-1 team and an 18-0 team in the playoffs

No, has the least passing yards of the three, and the lowest completion %

Big Ben is another HOF

I just checked. Eli has a couple more yards passing than rivers and a couple less than Big Ben. However that’s his leading since the Giants never really had a good running game under Eli.

Big Ben is another HOF

Eli has more passing yards than Rivers
I think Big Ben just passed Eli last week

Eli has done it without the receivers Ben and Rivers have
basically, after 15 years, all three have similar stats

Big Ben is another HOF

I will list the stats as Completion % - Yards - TD% - INT % - Yards/attempt - Yards/game - Rating
Manning: 60.3% - 55680 - 4.5% - 3.0% - 7.0 - 241.0 - 84.1
Rivers : 64.6% - 54480 - 5.3% - 2.5% - 7.8 - 258.2 - 95.7
Big Ben : 64.4% - 55907 - 5.1% - 2.7% - 7.8 - 260.0 - 94.3
Brady : 64.0% - 70264 - 5.5% - 1.8% - 7.5 - 262.2 - 97.4
Brees : 67.3% - 74437 - 5.3% - 2.4% - 7.6 - 282.0 - 97.7

I put in Brady and Brees for comparison sake.

Manning is clearly the lesser QB of that list. He has a bit more yardage than Rivers and is worse than all the others in every one of those categories, which I considered to be the most important. Manning did have those 2 great runs in the playoffs to get Super Bowl victories, and nothing will ever take that away from him. Outside of those, however, he does not stand up to the better quarterbacks of his generation, and certainly not to the best.

I don't think record is really a great stat to judge a QB on, as it is a team sport, but I'll give that as well:
Manning: 116-113-0
Rivers : 117-90-0
Big Ben : 143-69-1
Brady : 206-60-0
Brees : 155-108-0

Manning has never thrown more than 27 TDs in a regular season. Ben has 33 this year, Rivers has thrown 34, Brees has had 46 and of course Brady had 50. Manning has been a middling QB who happens to have elevated his game in 2 years during the playoffs.

Eli Manning Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Philip Rivers Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Ben Roethlisberger Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Tom Brady Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Drew Brees Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Big Ben is another HOF

I will list the stats as Completion % - Yards - TD% - INT % - Yards/attempt - Yards/game - Rating

Manning is clearly the lesser QB of that list. He has a bit more yardage than Rivers and is worse than all the others in every one of those categories, which I considered to be the most important. Manning did have those 2 great runs in the playoffs to get Super Bowl victories, and nothing will ever take that away from him. Outside of those, however, he does not stand up to the better quarterbacks of his generation, and certainly not to the best.

I don't think record is really a great stat to judge a QB on, as it is a team sport, but I'll give that as well:

Manning has never thrown more than 27 TDs in a regular season. Ben has 33 this year, Rivers has thrown 34, Brees has had 46 and of course Brady had 50. Manning has been a middling QB who happens to have elevated his game in 2 years during the playoffs.

Agree

And every one of those QBs is a HOF QB except for Rivers

Last edited:
As this NFL season has hit week 17 several QB's are showing their age. I remember Peyton Manning got to the end of the season and looked like he was done. This year several have seemed to aged quickly the last few weeks.

Tom Brady seems to have lost his edge along with Drew Brees who was sharp the first part of the season and now the defense seems to be keeping the team together, Big Ben is another one that has aged quickly the last couple weeks, also Charger QB Phillip Rivers also is looking a little worn coming off this last weekend.

Are any of them getting to old to play a complete season?
If drew wins or loses he might retire. But he still has it. Only two losses. He looked pretty good to me last time they played.

Brady’s team might not be that good, maybe it’s him.

Aaron Rogers is getting old. Or it could be his team sucks this year.

I don’t think Matthew Stafford is going to get any better. Maybe we should go young when his expensive contract is up god knows when.

Big Ben is another HOF

Manning’s second Super Bowl he hardly threw the ball. That was a weird Super Bowl. He was the perfect quarterback to manage a sucky offense. He ran down the clock, didn’t turn the ball over and eeked out a win.

Agree

And every one of this QBs is a HOF QB except for Rivers

I don't think Eli should be a HoF QB. He probably will be, though.

Forum List

Back