Question - Citizenship Question for Census

iceberg

Diamond Member
May 15, 2017
Justices, Blocking Citizenship Question on Census, Call Trump's Push 'Contrived' | National Law Journal

how was the question actually raised on the proposal? could it be rephrased or better detailed to get this on there?

i hear it will misrepresent minorities and i don't understand how. if you're a citizen, who cares of what background? you did what you needed to do to be here, you get the same benefits we all do at that point. we keep throwing bodies into a crossfire of confusion and i just don't get it.

most stories are beating up trump or calling the "news" news but not really going into detail. i'll dig more as my day allows but would love to hear honest discussion on the question and why it's a "problem" to count citizens.

Roberts is a turncoat, pure and simple. He cares more about being praised by leftwing newspapers and Washington insiders than doing what is right for the country and the Constitution.

Trump won't allow a census without that citizenship question, so its keep working at it until its in...

Justices, Blocking Citizenship Question on Census, Call Trump's Push 'Contrived' | National Law Journal

how was the question actually raised on the proposal? could it be rephrased or better detailed to get this on there?

i hear it will misrepresent minorities and i don't understand how. if you're a citizen, who cares of what background? you did what you needed to do to be here, you get the same benefits we all do at that point. we keep throwing bodies into a crossfire of confusion and i just don't get it.

most stories are beating up trump or calling the "news" news but not really going into detail. i'll dig more as my day allows but would love to hear honest discussion on the question and why it's a "problem" to count citizens.

Remember, we are not just trying to count citizens, but everyone.

Congressional representation is based upon total numbers, not just citizens.

What is the benefit of the citizenship question?

Not sure of the details, but basically other evidence pertaining to the case was introduced during SC debate, and the SC cannot weigh new evidence. The case was sent back to the lower court to deal with it.

Consider. Bush 41 gave us Souter. Bush 43 gave us Roberts.

Trump won't allow a census without that citizenship question, so its keep working at it until its in...

Trump would have to violate the Constitution to stop it. I realize you are cool with that, but you should not be

Then why do we want to know gender, age, ethnic background, education levels?

Anyone who says they are not interested in how many citizens are living in their district is lying or ignorant.

if we want to know how many americans live in america, how can we answer that?

now - if electorial college votes are done purely by population, why are we counting non-citizens who can't vote anyway? should CA get +5 EC votes because they have the most illegal citizens in the country?

Not sure of the details, but basically other evidence pertaining to the case was introduced during SC debate, and the SC cannot weigh new evidence. The case was sent back to the lower court to deal with it.

and that is my big question - was this procedural, political (and everything these days is, even where to piss) or was the question not defined well enough? i'm trying to understand the mechanics, not the emotions, behind this decision. thank you.

Claiming that having to answer a question will force illegals to either lie or not fill out a census is nonsense.
CA and NY shouldn't be allowed to fill their states with illegals and have them counted on the census.
This is why CA and NY have more representatives and more electoral votes than any other state.....because they've broken the law and declared themselves to be sanctuary states. They shouldn't be allowed to benefit from harboring fugitives.

Anyone who says they are not interested in how many citizens are living in their district is lying or ignorant.

We have made for 70 years without the census asking that question, seems we will survive another 10

and that is my big question - was this procedural, political (and everything these days is, even where to piss) or was the question not defined well enough? i'm trying to understand the mechanics, not the emotions, behind this decision. thank you.

Probably a bit of all three.

Part of the problem with the Court is Roberts' insistence on having the Court appear non-partisan, as opposed to doing what's mandated by the Constitution.

We have made for 70 years without the census asking that question, seems we will survive another 10

It's not a question of survival.

will we? if we keep letting them in w/o process or standards, giving them healthcare and free travel all around the country; when are we just out of money to give away? why should we do this when we can't even care adequately for our own as well?

we survived for a long time w/o the internet. things change.

Probably a bit of all three.

Part of the problem with the Court is Roberts' insistence on having the Court appear non-partisan, as opposed to doing what's mandated by the Constitution.
and that's what i'm after - i want the SCOTUS to stay out of the politics and require *ALL* sides to follow the constitution.

Claiming that having to answer a question will force illegals to either lie or not fill out a census is nonsense.
CA and NY shouldn't be allowed to fill their states with illegals and have them counted on the census.
This is why CA and NY have more representatives and more electoral votes than any other state.....because they've broken the law and declared themselves to be sanctuary states. They shouldn't be allowed to benefit from harboring fugitives.
they can claim it - i'll ask for the connection and proof. why is an illegal citizen even given a census questionnaire to begin with?

What the court decided
In the opinion, which was written by Chief Justice John Roberts, the court ruled that the Commerce Department does have the authority to add a question to the census asking respondents if they are citizens of the U.S. The conservative members of the court agreed with Roberts on that point.

Legal scholars and court watchers Thursday agreed that the Trump administration got in its own way by offering a justification that would not pass legal muster.
But Roberts took issue with Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross’ explanation that adding the question would help enforce the Voting Rights Act. “The evidence tells a story that does not match the explanation the Secretary gave,” Roberts wrote.

This claim is ultimately what the Supreme Court took issue with, describing the reasons behind the administration’s reasoning as “contrived.” The final opinion of the court also suggested that Ross, who runs the department charged with administering the census, had plans to include the citizenship question long before that explanation. “The record shows that the Secretary began taking steps to reinstate a citizenship question about a week into his tenure,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote.

The Supreme Court blocked a citizenship question from the census. Now what?

I'm not sure why the Court will give Wilbur Ross a second chance to come up with a reason for the question--that seems contrived. Or how that would happen--on appeal, I suppose. But it sounds as if no matter what the "reason," the Court has already seen evidence that Ross had an agenda to disenfranchise Hispanics from the start.

If you're confused about the case, you're not the only one, according to the article. The "experts" are arguing about it, too.

if we want to know how many americans live in america, how can we answer that?

now - if electorial college votes are done purely by population, why are we counting non-citizens who can't vote anyway? should CA get +5 EC votes because they have the most illegal citizens in the country?

We have other methods, the American Community Survey that the Census Bureau does for example.

The census is about more than just how many Representatives a state gets, that is just the tip of the iceberg of what all the data is used for.

The other thing about surveys like the Census, they are painstakingly planned out, the order of the questions, the wording of the questions, even the spacing on the paper copies are all tested and retested to get the maximum response rate and most accurate responses. Adding a single question can decrease the response rate, which is counter-productive.

they can claim it - i'll ask for the connection and proof. why is an illegal citizen even given a census questionnaire to begin with?
They don't know who they are. It might be one person in a family of six. That's kind of a silly question, ice.

Forum List

Back