• Other

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • A good faith giving of money back to God/His Church

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Is it commanded by God, or is it optional?

If optional, what makes a tithe different from an offering?

Another thread on this made me think about it..... how it's a rip off.

When I used to attend church, there seemed to be two main thoughts. One, is that as stated in Malachi, we should give 10%, because, really, all of it is God's anyway... something along those lines....

Then, there are those that say because Jesus came to fulfill the law, we really don't HAVE to give anything, only if we want to etc.

Silly people. don't you know that an eternal, omnipotent, omniscient being needs money?

It's not like he knows the future and can tell his ministers which stocks to buy to achieve all their needs.

Imagine if God had bought stock in MicroSoft in 1980!!!!

From the biblical sources, OT and NT, tithes go for the benefit of the Church itself; in the early days of Christianity it went for social services for its members and other churches, and included services and goods, not just cash, like dues to a club sort of thing. Offerings are just whatever you're inspired to give above the church offerings, and don't necessarily have to go to the church itself. The tithes go for taking care of widows, the indigent, and other such organizational uses called for by various instructions, offerings would be more of a spiritual thing. At least that's the short answer as I read the various passages.

Silly people. don't you know that an eternal, omnipotent, omniscient being needs money?

It's not like he knows the future and can tell his ministers which stocks to buy to achieve all their needs.

Well, it's not really "for him" - mostly it's to provide for "The Church", the bride of Christ. The Gospel spreaders etc.

When I used to attend church, there seemed to be two main thoughts. One, is that as stated in Malachi, we should give 10%, because, really, all of it is God's anyway... something along those lines....

Then, there are those that say because Jesus came to fulfill the law, we really don't HAVE to give anything, only if we want to etc.

Why would you think it's just a rip off? Organizations need labor, goods, to support teachers, hold meetings, etc., like anybody else would.

Why would you think it's just a rip off? Organizations need labor, goods, etc., like anybody else would.

I'm not saying EYE think it's a rip off, only the person that started the other thread....

It does say in the Bible to give to God 10% off the top......before taxes, before Social Security, before 401K's, etc. Many people do NOT, probably because they have more than enough taken from their pay already and they think God's payment is optional

There are different kinds of offerings......a freewill offering is optional, sin offering is a type of 'payment' for sins, etc.

Nobody can buy their way into Heaven.......our ticket was bought & paid for with the blood of the Lamb.

Charity like forgiving others benefits the one doing the giving as much or maybe even more than it does the one who receives it.

Well, it's not really "for him" - mostly it's to provide for "The Church", the bride of Christ. The Gospel spreaders etc.

again, God could tell his followers to buy Microsoft and give that to the Church. It would seem to me that an omnipotent being would be a better financial planner.

I can't tap into the mind of God. You'd have to ask someone closer to Him....

CS Lewis had some thoughts on this.

I don't think they were the same as yours.

CS Lewis had some thoughts on this.

I don't think they were the same as yours.

Well they are not mine, only what I heard when I was a church going person.
Southern and Independent Baptist, to be exact

Many people seem to be very unwilling to give 10%

Many would rather give their "time and talents".

It's funny but many of those claiming to not be able to afford 10%, seemed to be able to spend freely on unnecessary items for themselves, their kids, eating out, etc.

It does say in the Bible to give to God 10% off the top......before taxes, before Social Security, before 401K's, etc. Many people do NOT, probably because they have more than enough taken from their pay already and they think God's payment is optional

There are different kinds of offerings......a freewill offering is optional, sin offering is a type of 'payment' for sins, etc.

Nobody can buy their way into Heaven.......our ticket was bought & paid for with the blood of the Lamb.

This is why I don't feel any concern or sympathy for those who send money to the 'prosperity gospel' types; they're being even more dishonest re the theology.

Is it commanded by God, or is it optional?

If optional, what makes a tithe different from an offering?
Back when Moses finally got the Hebrews out of Egypt and on their way to the promised land, Moses, who had a speech impediment, made Aaron(his brother) as the first priest of the new Israelites. For every sacrifice to God, one must give a sacrifice to Aaron in a tithe. At that moment Aaron never had to work at hard labor ever again. The Catholic Church has billions of dollars locked behind the doors of the Vatican, the pope eats lobster and steak, yet he tells the rest of us we should do without. When man made religion, not God, it was mans way to control us and reap from us, while they sit back and enjoy comfortable living...

My father was a hard working man, we went to the local Methodist church. While we were struggling to make ends meet, the pastor of the church always came in with a new suit, and drove a top of the line Cadillac. We didn't stay long in the Methodist church.

These are my feelings about religion but I still believe in God..

The Catholic Church is the Biggest Financial Power on Earth | Humans Are Free

No, it's not really for Him. He doesn't need it or anything else for that matter from us.

Like Picaro said, the money itself is to help support the Church in it's support of the people........along the same lines as "those that have, give, so those that have not, may be included'

The commandment for us to give, has less to do with actual money........but the acts of submission to His will & commands as well as the act of giving. We are not called to be takers, but called to be givers

Forum List

Back