🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Radical Cleric: It's OK to Blow Yourself Up 'For Allah'

I gots ta tell yo's...why de's Buddhists...they be outta control...killin' and terrorizin' people all over da world. When I hear the name Buddhism, the first taught dat comes to me mind is TERRORIST.

Hari Krishna, Hari Rama, KABOOM! Ha ha ha.

So tell me, Coyote, have you heard of a large group of Buddhist monks in many locations in the Middle East, Southeast Asia and Africa calling on their members to kill others? The only country I can think of at the moment is Burma where the Muslims and Buddhists are at it. Other than that, in that particular region of the world, the Muslims in southern Thailand are killing Buddhists, and they certainly are giving the Philippines trouble. Perhaps you are aware of where the Buddhists are acting up besides Burma and you can inform us as to where. Of course you don't have to be a car or suicide bomber to kill people. The Boko Haram in Nigeria are doing a fine job of slitting the throats of Christians.

Just as an aside...sometimes, it's helpful to look at the history of some of these superficially religious conflicts.

Take southern Thailand for example. Southern Thailand was once the "Sultanate of Patani". "Peaceful" Bhuddist Thai's conquered it in 1785 and have governed it since then. Ethnic and religious strife have a long history there, as does a seperatist insurgency.

Nigeria, too is another example. The Boko Haram are clearly an extremist and violent group but they attack Muslims as well as Christians (comparable to the Christian LRA in Uganda/Southern Sudan), but are the Nigerian Christians so innocent? Is it really just a religious conflict? Nigeria: Five Things To Know About Religious Violence

How about Sri Lanka? Sri Lanka’s Muslim minority (as well as Christians) have been attacked by hardline Buddhists. Muslims were either killed or forceably expelled from the Northern Provence by the LTTE.

So tell me Sally, do you ignore these occurences because they don't fit your narrative?

Truth is - most of these conflicts are not simply religious conflicts. Author Eliza Griswold, in an interview about her book "The Tenth Parallel" made several interesting observations - though they applied primarily to Africa, they are applicable elsewhere - particularly in the ME where governments have broken down or proven incompetent at protecting their people:

"The fighting itself isn't about religion. It's about control over political power and safeguarding communities," Griswold says. "And it's taking on the color of religion because no other form of identity is protecting the people of CAR now."

Griswold wrote "The Tenth Parallel: Dispatches from the Fault Line Between Christianity and Islam." She says, in the absence of functioning governments, many Africans are increasingly defining themselves in terms of their religious identity.

Ok, I'll bite. But from your link, while very informative, it doesn't really suggest the source of this conflict, but only the sources influencing it, sadly. I'll guess I have something new to learn, now, tho:)

I think what influences it can also be the source of it - in some areas, for example CAR - these people have lived side by side for over a thousand years with no major conflicts, suddenly there are conflicts - why?

When I see people being killed because of their sect, I know it has to do with religion. When I see people being killed just because they are Christians, I know it is because of their religion. Someone can write all the theories they want to, but I think people realize what is going on. If you want to make excuses for this, be my guest since this is only a forum and whatever opinion we have is not going to make any difference in the real world out there. In the real world, people will make up their minds by what is actually going on, not with what someone has written.

Hey, I'm not the one making endless excuses for Buddhists killing Muslims (and, unlike both you and I, the author I quoted has actually been there ... not just reading about it on the internet).

You just seem to have funny ideas about when it "has to do with religion" :dunno:

And I am not the one being the apologist for the Muslims murdering innocent people (including their own because of their sect) in many places of the world today as you always appear to do. If you can tell us why the Sunni and Shia have been killing each other since the inception of Islam and it doesn't have anything to do with religion, go right ahead and give us your opinion. Perhaps you can tell us why so many Christians in the Muslim world have been murdered if not for their religion. You can do the same with the Hindus and the Buddhists. Hey, look at all the fun you will have making excuses for the Muslims.

Who's this "us"? Are there voices in your head?:eusa_eh:

Perhaps you can do a little historic research rather than expecting others to do it for you it truly smacks of laziness on your part (or simply a desire to troll) ;).

Of course - it's easier to excuse non-Muslim violence and condemn Muslim-violence - makes for better narrative and requires absolutely no effort on your part to engage the thought process. I notice that while you post a prodigious number of articles (many of which I agree with) - they do contain a constant refrain. They are only about violence perpetrated by Muslims.

No, that makes one wonder. Is that what is happening in the real world? Noooo....a little research shows that there are hundreds of conflicts around the world and while many involve Islamic countries they do not all necessarily involve religion as a primary cause: Wars in the World » List of ongoing Conflicts Many of these conflicts are complex - some represent Islamist insurgencies, others are Al Queda fueled, and others seem to be composed of multiple independent tribal/ethnic/religious militias. My guess is that any reasonably intelligent person would look at those conflicts individually rather than assume it's all only about religion.

So why is it Sally doesn't care when it's not Muslims attacking? Apparently Sally really doesn't give a damn....unless Muslims are at the root of it. And if they happen to be victims? She makes excuses. :) Those silly peaceful Buddhists and Hindus.:eusa_whistle:

When violence perpetrated by non-Muslims (and the victims are Muslim) you make excuses. I'm guessing you only care when it's Muslims doing the violating and feel Muslim victims deserve what they get. Strange world, but at least you are conistent :)

Hey, I'm not the one making endless excuses for Buddhists killing Muslims (and, unlike both you and I, the author I quoted has actually been there ... not just reading about it on the internet).

You just seem to have funny ideas about when it "has to do with religion" :dunno:

And I am not the one being the apologist for the Muslims murdering innocent people (including their own because of their sect) in many places of the world today as you always appear to do. If you can tell us why the Sunni and Shia have been killing each other since the inception of Islam and it doesn't have anything to do with religion, go right ahead and give us your opinion. Perhaps you can tell us why so many Christians in the Muslim world have been murdered if not for their religion. You can do the same with the Hindus and the Buddhists. Hey, look at all the fun you will have making excuses for the Muslims.

Perhaps you can do a little historic research rather than expecting others to do it for you it truly smacks of laziness on your part (or simply a desire to troll) ;).

Of course - it's easier to excuse non-Muslim violence and condemn Muslim-violence - makes for better narrative and requires absolutely no effort on your part to engage the thought process. I notice that while you post a prodigious number of articles (many of which I agree with) - they do contain a constant refrain. They are only about violence perpetrated by Muslims.

No, that makes one wonder. Is that what is happening in the real world? Noooo....a little research shows that there are hundreds of conflicts around the world and while many involve Islamic countries they do not all necessarily involve religion as a primary cause: Wars in the World » List of ongoing Conflicts Many of these conflicts are complex - some represent Islamist insurgencies, others are Al Queda fueled, and others seem to be composed of multiple independent tribal/ethnic/religious militias. My guess is that any reasonably intelligent person would look at those conflicts individually rather than assume it's all only about religion.

So why is it Sally doesn't care when it's not Muslims attacking? Apparently Sally really doesn't give a damn....unless Muslims are at the root of it. And if they happen to be victims? She makes excuses. :) Those silly peaceful Buddhists and Hindus.:eusa_whistle:

When violence perpetrated by non-Muslims (and the victims are Muslim) you make excuses. I'm guessing you only care when it's Muslims doing the violating and feel Muslim victims deserve what they get. Strange world, but at least you are conistent :)

You know, Coyote, it is you who probably are hearing voices in your head. So much is going on where Muslims are murdering people, even Muslims of different sects, and with all the forums available to you, you have nothing to say about it. So being that you are so silent shows that you really don't care what is happening to people, even those Muslims like the Ahmadiyya and Shiites blown up in Pakistan. You might be fooling people with the same mind set as you have, but I don't think you are fooling those who are aware of what is going on today. When you find Buddhists in many different locations killing people because of their religion, why not get back to us then?

Every morning when I go downstairs, I can see the dining room set that I bought from a Muslim family who were going to live in Pakistan. I invariably think of what is going on in Pakistan and I hope that the parents and three kids, who now are in their thirties, are safe and have not been caught up in some suicide or car bombing which seems to haplpen on a regular basis. However, if it makes you feel good to close your eyes to this, go for it.

You know, Coyote, it is you who probably are hearing voices in your head. So much is going on where Muslims are murdering people, even Muslims of different sects, and with all the forums available to you, you have nothing to say about it. So being that you are so silent shows that you really don't care what is happening to people, even those Muslims like the Ahmadiyya and Shiites blown up in Pakistan. You might be fooling people with the same mind set as you have, but I don't think you are fooling those who are aware of what is going on today. When you find Buddhists in many different locations killing people because of their religion, why not get back to us then?

Every morning when I go downstairs, I can see the dining room set that I bought from a Muslim family who were going to live in Pakistan. I invariably think of what is going on in Pakistan and I hope that the parents and three kids, who now are in their thirties, are safe and have not been caught up in some suicide or car bombing which seems to haplpen on a regular basis. However, if it makes you feel good to close your eyes to this, go for it.

Well Sally, that's really cool and I'm glad you care so much. However, I'm not the one closing my eyes to violence (nor do I keep referring to "us"), in fact, many of your threads I've openly agreed with.

I just fail too understand why violence perpetrated on Muslims by non-Muslims like Buddhists is excusable - over and over. :dunno:

Innocent people are hurt and killed for no more reason than that they exist and the dominant culture doesn't like them. It shouldn't matter who they are or who their attackers are.

Well Sally, that's really cool and I'm glad you care so much. However, I'm not the one closing my eyes to violence (nor do I keep referring to "us"), in fact, many of your threads I've openly agreed with.

I just fail too understand why violence perpetrated on Muslims by non-Muslims like Buddhists is excusable - over and over. :dunno:

Innocent people are hurt and killed for no more reason than that they exist and the dominant culture doesn't like them. It shouldn't matter who they are or who their attackers are.

I'll tell you waht. Since this hullabaloo is over some video that a Muslim cleric made about killing people, why not find a viodeo for us where some Tibetan Buddhist monk is telling his fellow followers that it is OK to kill the Chinese> If you can't find one, perhaps you can find one of a Catholic priest in the Philippines telling his fellow Catholics that it is OK to kill those pesky Muslims who are always giving trouble in southern Philippines.

I'll tell you waht. Since this hullabaloo is over some video that a Muslim cleric made about killing people, why not find a viodeo for us where some Tibetan Buddhist monk is telling his fellow followers that it is OK to kill the Chinese> If you can't find one, perhaps you can find one of a Catholic priest in the Philippines telling his fellow Catholics that it is OK to kill those pesky Muslims who are always giving trouble in southern Philippines.

Why do you require a video?

Why can't you simply denounce violence upon innocent people? Is it REALLY that hard Sally?

Here is an article, with an influential Myanmar Buddhist cleric promoting violence upon Muslims: Buddhist monk Wirathu leads violent national campaign against Myanmar's Muslims

Why can't you simply denounce violence upon innocent people? Is it REALLY that hard Sally?

Here is an article, with an influential Myanmar Buddhist cleric promoting violence upon Muslims: Buddhist monk Wirathu leads violent national campaign against Myanmar's Muslims

That's OK, you don't have to find a video. Why is it that difficult for you to admit that it is not the Buddhists who are busy in many different locations murdering innocent people, but the Muslims who are even murdering other Muslims because of their sect. If it were the Buddhists who were running around in different locations, I would have to agree with you, but they simply are not busy like the Muslims are. You pick one spot in the world, but completely overlook all the other spots where violence is going on. When are you going to start denouncing Muslim violence in many different countries? Is it really that hard for you to do? See, I can put the same questions to you.

The man is a dick.
Suicide is a mortal sin in Islam; you go to hell.
One of the most Bogus and common claims of Islamist apologists.

Suicide - from say depression - Is a Sin in Islam.
But 'MARTYRDOM', - Blowing yourself up and taking others with you for the cause - is the highest possible calling and the ONLY way to get an instant ticket to Heaven for You and Yours.
Which is why it's so common from Palestine to Iraq (daily), Pakistan, etc.

One of the great LIES for Allah, is claiming "suicide is forbidden" when, in fact, 'Martyrdom is glorious'.
`

Last edited:

That's OK, you don't have to find a video. Why is it that difficult for you to admit that it is not the Buddhists who are busy in many different locations murdering innocent people, but the Muslims who are even murdering other Muslims because of their sect. If it were the Buddhists who were running around in different locations, I would have to agree with you, but they simply are not busy like the Muslims are. You pick one spot in the world, but completely overlook all the other spots where violence is going on. When are you going to start denouncing Muslim violence in many different countries? Is it really that hard for you to do? See, I can put the same questions to you.

I don't waste much time on videos - they can be hard to verify for context, accuracy and completeness. I do look for articles - it's easier to search for them, and to verify them thus I've posted articles not videos.

But here's the thing Sally - I can denounce them, and have in threads about Syria for example or the actions of Muslim terrorist groups such as in the Kenya Mall bombing. Unlike you, I'm not going out of my way posting thread after thread after article on Muslim violence (or any other violence).

Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand - all have Buddhist majorities attacking Muslim minorities though the conflicts are themselves not as simple as just religion. Bosnia was not that long ago either. Why should the denunciation of violance be tied to how you feel about specific religions? Dead is dead and it doesn't matter who committed the atrocities - it's usually the ordinary people and children who get caught up in it and have no way to escape it. So why do you make excuses for the buddhists?

Let me know when you feel capable of denouncing something other than Islamic violence and show a little empathy for the victims regardless of who is inflicting these atrocities.

...or when you feel like actually exploring the actual underlying causes in these conflicts - it would make for an interesting discussion but unfortunately it would take more effort then simply posting articles on "Muslim violence" :)

I don't waste much time on videos - they can be hard to verify for context, accuracy and completeness. I do look for articles - it's easier to search for them, and to verify them thus I've posted articles not videos.

But here's the thing Sally - I can denounce them, and have in threads about Syria for example or the actions of Muslim terrorist groups such as in the Kenya Mall bombing. Unlike you, I'm not going out of my way posting thread after thread after article on Muslim violence (or any other violence).

Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand - all have Buddhist majorities attacking Muslim minorities though the conflicts are themselves not as simple as just religion. Bosnia was not that long ago either. Why should the denunciation of violance be tied to how you feel about specific religions? Dead is dead and it doesn't matter who committed the atrocities - it's usually the ordinary people and children who get caught up in it and have no way to escape it. So why do you make excuses for the buddhists?

Let me know when you feel capable of denouncing something other than Islamic violence and show a little empathy for the victims regardless of who is inflicting these atrocities.

...or when you feel like actually exploring the actual underlying causes in these conflicts - it would make for an interesting discussion but unfortunately it would take more effort then simply posting articles on "Muslim violence" :)

Isn't it strange that I think very few readers have seen you actually condemning on these various forums what is happening in different areas. However, the only big to-do you seemed to have made is on the subject of Myanmar. As far as Thailand, where were you when it came to condemning the Muslims murdering the Buddhists in the south of Thailand? Where were you in making a comment about the Muslims when they were acting up in the Catholic Philippines? I think that most people can see that it is not the Buddhists who are going around in so many different spots killing innocent people, but if you want people to believe that the Buddhists are doing just that, go for it. Meanwhile, you might find this article on Sri Lanka interesting.

Sri Lanka?s War Had Witnesses: Indian Journalist B. Murali Reddy - OpEd Eurasia Review

Isn't it strange that I think very few readers have seen you actually condemning on these various forums what is happening in different areas. However, the only big to-do you seemed to have made is on the subject of Myanmar. As far as Thailand, where were you when it came to condemning the Muslims murdering the Buddhists in the south of Thailand? Where were you in making a comment about the Muslims when they were acting up in the Catholic Philippines? I think that most people can see that it is not the Buddhists who are going around in so many different spots killing innocent people, but if you want people to believe that the Buddhists are doing just that, go for it. Meanwhile, you might find this article on Sri Lanka interesting.

Sri Lanka?s War Had Witnesses: Indian Journalist B. Murali Reddy - OpEd Eurasia Review

Well Sally, that is due primarily to that fact that you "think" rather than read what I actually post. It certainly makes for a difficult discussion but discussion may not be what you really desire.

In the meantime, Buddhists (under government auspices) are murdering, burning out and attacking Myanmar's Muslims while you can't see fit to condemn it because they are Buddhists and Christian Uganda with the help of US Churches, has just passed a draconian anti-homosexuality law that gives jail time not only to homosexuals (they tried for death penalty but world outrage killed that) but for those who don't "inform" on possible homosexuals. We're all well aware of the draconian anti-gay laws that have long existed in Muslim Countries of course but silent when it occurs outside the Muslim world backed by supposedly civilized American Churches.

Well Sally, that is due primarily to that fact that you "think" rather than read what I actually post. It certainly makes for a difficult discussion but discussion may not be what you really desire.

In the meantime, Buddhists (under government auspices) are murdering, burning out and attacking Myanmar's Muslims while you can't see fit to condemn it because they are Buddhists and Christian Uganda with the help of US Churches, has just passed a draconian anti-homosexuality law that gives jail time not only to homosexuals (they tried for death penalty but world outrage killed that) but for those who don't "inform" on possible homosexuals. We're all well aware of the draconian anti-gay laws that have long existed in Muslim Countries of course but silent when it occurs outside the Muslim world backed by supposedly civilized American Churches.

Let me reiterate. When you find out that Buddhists are running around in many different locations, please let us know. Naturally, in a place like Tibet, we don't see the Buddhist monks inciting people to put on bomb belts to take out the Chinese. They just set themselves afire as a way of protesting and don't take out innocent people with themselves. By the way, all of a sudden you are interested in laws against homosexuals when you had nothing to saying about the Gay people swinging at the end of a rope in Iran.

Let me reiterate. When you find out that Buddhists are running around in many different locations, please let us know. Naturally, in a place like Tibet, we don't see the Buddhist monks inciting people to put on bomb belts to take out the Chinese. They just set themselves afire as a way of protesting and don't take out innocent people with themselves. By the way, all of a sudden you are interested in laws against homosexuals when you had nothing to saying about the Gay people swinging at the end of a rope in Iran.

Are you sure I didn't? Barbaric anti-homosexual laws and actions in Muslim majority countries have been the topic of many threads some of which I've participated in. Nice deflection though. I suppose you are quite fine with Uganda's legislative accomplishment.

You keep on bringing up Buddhists in Tibet when I'm talking about Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Thailand. But even Tibetin Buddhists have engaged in violence and there is often more myth than reality in any religion that claims to be a religion of peace (or, more accurately - it works in theory but not when confronted with human nature)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/15/world/asia/15tibet.html?pagewanted=all
http://www.eunacom.net/DalaiLama_E.htm
H-Net Reviews

Are you sure I didn't? Barbaric anti-homosexual laws and actions in Muslim majority countries have been the topic of many threads some of which I've participated in. Nice deflection though. I suppose you are quite fine with Uganda's legislative accomplishment.

You keep on bringing up Buddhists in Tibet when I'm talking about Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Thailand. But even Tibetin Buddhists have engaged in violence and there is often more myth than reality in any religion that claims to be a religion of peace (or, more accurately - it works in theory but not when confronted with human nature)

H-Net Reviews

So tell us, Coyote, have the monks clashed with the police since 20098 in your article? Have we sent any Tibetans Buddhists incited by the Monks whereby they feel they have to put on bomb belts on themselves to take out the Chinese? Maybe you should get with the Dalai Lama and tell him about your concerns. Meanwhile, does anyone on this forum think that the Buddhists are in the same league as the Muslims in killing innocent people? If so, can we see a chart with all the incidents and the number of those killed? Maybe Coyote can supply us with a chart.

H-Net Reviews

So tell us, Coyote, have the monks clashed with the police since 20098 in your article?

Unknown, but feel free to look it up in your endless effort to excuse or legitimize non-Muslim violence :)

Have we sent any Tibetans Buddhists incited by the Monks whereby they feel they have to put on bomb belts on themselves to take out the Chinese?

Your question doesn't make much sense :cuckoo:

However, I do think it's important to add this note since you like to repeat the same refrain over and over here: self-emolation through personal incendiary devices is not a requirement for determining ethically acceptable levels of violence. You seem stuck on it. What ever devices terrorists use - dead is just as dead, ya think?

Maybe you should get with the Dalai Lama and tell him about your concerns.

I have no desire to, but feel free to consult him if you wish :)

Meanwhile, does anyone on this forum think that the Buddhists are in the same league as the Muslims in killing innocent people?

Well Sally, this conversation is with *you* not some nebulous "anyone on this forum" - but you. Try to keep up.

And as I said Sally, dead is dead and innocent people killed through terroristic violence are still dead regardless of whether the perp was Muslim or Buddhist. You do understand that don't you?

Of course there is one other fact that skews things just a bit: Buddhists only make up a fraction of the world's religions dominated by Christianity and Muslims. Yet, look at the five countries with the largest Buddhist majorities (sorry - Tibet is only 60%).

Thailand 95.00%
Cambodia 90
Myanmar 88
Bhutan 75
Sri Lanka 70

How many of them are involved in violence? There is a strong ethnic component to it that is at least as big a factor as religion but still...3 of the 5.

But somehow you seem to think it's ok for Buddhists to kill Muslims (not sure if you think it's ok for them to kill Christians but in some of those countries Christians have also been attacked).

If so, can we see a chart with all the incidents and the number of those killed? Maybe Coyote can supply us with a chart.

Sorry Sally, but I don't do charts on demand do your own research :)

H-Net Reviews

So tell us, Coyote, have the monks clashed with the police since 20098 in your article?

Unknown, but feel free to look it up in your endless effort to excuse or legitimize non-Muslim violence :)

Your question doesn't make much sense :cuckoo:

However, I do think it's important to add this note since you like to repeat the same refrain over and over here: self-emolation through personal incendiary devices is not a requirement for determining ethically acceptable levels of violence. You seem stuck on it. What ever devices terrorists use - dead is just as dead, ya think?

I have no desire to, but feel free to consult him if you wish :)

Meanwhile, does anyone on this forum think that the Buddhists are in the same league as the Muslims in killing innocent people?

Well Sally, this conversation is with *you* not some nebulous "anyone on this forum" - but you. Try to keep up.

And as I said Sally, dead is dead and innocent people killed through terroristic violence are still dead regardless of whether the perp was Muslim or Buddhist. You do understand that don't you?

Of course there is one other fact that skews things just a bit: Buddhists only make up a fraction of the world's religions dominated by Christianity and Muslims. Yet, look at the five countries with the largest Buddhist majorities (sorry - Tibet is only 60%).

Thailand 95.00%
Cambodia 90
Myanmar 88
Bhutan 75
Sri Lanka 70

How many of them are involved in violence? There is a strong ethnic component to it that is at least as big a factor as religion but still...3 of the 5.

But somehow you seem to think it's ok for Buddhists to kill Muslims (not sure if you think it's ok for them to kill Christians but in some of those countries Christians have also been attacked).

If so, can we see a chart with all the incidents and the number of those killed? Maybe Coyote can supply us with a chart.

Sorry Sally, but I don't do charts on demand do your own research :)

I find it amusing that I put up a video, and Coyote gets on her high horse and starts dragging in the Buddhists like they are actually running around in several places on this planet killing the Muslims. Coyote brings up Thailand, where the Muslims are actually killing the Buddhists in the south because they want their own separate state, just like India had to carve out the land of Pakistan for the Muslims. Meanwhile, I guess it is the pesky Buddhists that feel that they have to give the Philippine government a lot of trouble, wanting their own little section of the Philippines for their own.

Philippines mayor, three others killed in ambush at Manila airport - latimes.com

Battle drags on between Philippine troops and Muslim rebels - latimes.com

Buddhists can be very violent.

Not according to Sally. If they kill people, it doesn't really count.

Not to mention this bizarre third-person dialogue thing she has going when she responds. Go figure.

Coyote brings up Thailand, where the Muslims are actually killing the Buddhists in the south because they want their own separate state, just like India had to carve out the land of Pakistan for the Muslims. [/url]

Oh dear. You forgot a bit of history there. The Thai Buddhists originally conquored those territories and subjegated or expelled the resident Muslim population. That sort of stuff remains in ethnic identities for a long time (Balkans being a good example).

India did not carve out Pakistan. The Brits did that - and very badly I might add (the partition of India was one of the world's great tragedies) - ignoring cultural identities in favor of religious identities thus forcing the eventual splitting off of Bangledesh.

Forum List

Back