Radical New Congress Constitution rule irks House Democrats

Interesting then that Article III does not specifically grant this power to the court - that the court itself had to take the power for itself by fiat.

The Supreme Court of the United States established judicial review in the case of Marbury v. Madison, which was argued before the Supreme Court in 1801.
I know. That's my point.
Judicial review did not exist until the court decided it had the power to decide it had the power of Judicial review. It took the power for itself by fiat.

Article III Section 2 states:
Section 2.
The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution,
Yes....
Where in that is the power granted to the court to interpret the meaning of the Constitution? If that power is there, why/how did it not exist until the court gave it to itself in Marbury, as -you- said?

I say that it does! That's exactly what those words mean in my estimation. I don't think the court had to "give" itself anything. What's the point of a SCOTUS if they're not holding laws and the application of laws to the test??

I think some conservatives have entirely forgotten the concept of something that's IMPLIED./B] There are implied powers and implied doctrines that are valid and constitutional.

Article III Section 2 states: Section 2. The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution,

Courts review and interpret laws. SCOTUS was given the power over "all cases, in law and equity." No doubt exists SCOTUS had the constitutional authority to review Marbury.

actually since 1789 happened before 1801, article 3 sections 1 and 2 of the constitution were in effect already. the supreme court has never exercised the power until 1801, which was another 12 years after the adoption of article 3. so you are correct in saying that it was not in the original constitution, but then again you are incorrect because the constitution was amended to include said section.
Um.... Article III was adopted at the sme time as all of the other articles.
Article III was not added as an amendment.

AND... nothing in Article III specifies a power of judicial review - the court gave this to istelf.

M14 Shooter, you have every right to your internet opinion. However, that opinion has nothing to do with the actual constitutionality of Judicial Review. The principle did not have to be expressly written any more than all of the other accepted principles of court procedures and authority.

Thomas Jefferson tried to intimidate Marshall's court by impeaching an associate justice. Some of Jefferson's own party senators found the man not guity of the charges.

What can be done is this: amend to delete the power expressly.

actually since 1789 happened before 1801, article 3 sections 1 and 2 of the constitution were in effect already. the supreme court has never exercised the power until 1801, which was another 12 years after the adoption of article 3. so you are correct in saying that it was not in the original constitution, but then again you are incorrect because the constitution was amended to include said section.

AND... nothing in Article III specifies a power of judicial review - the court gave this to istelf.

Can you please interpret this line of the constitution:

judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution

also The Constitution was adopted on September 17, 1787, by the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and ratified by conventions in each U.S. state. Since Article III was added via The United States Judiciary Act of 1789 (ch. 20, 1 Stat. 73-93) on September 24, 1789 in the first session of the First United States Congress.

sooooooo like i said Article III was added in 1789 and gave the authority of Judicial Review to the courts. Please try to read and educate before you try to spread false rumors and lies.

Last edited:
Inception, Marbury finds that Congress cannot give additional powers to SCOTUS; that was the very meat of Marbury. Thus Congress had no authority to add "judicial review" to the powers of SCOTUS. The Court had the authority from the day was ratified by the several states.

Can you please interpret this line of the constitution:

judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution
Its pretty self-explanatory, isnlt it?
What it does NOT say is that said power includes judicial review. The fact that the court had to make a declaration to that effect necessitates that they took the power for themselves rather than invoked a power specifically granted by th COnstitution.

also The Constitution was adopted on September 17, 1787, by the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and ratified by conventions in each U.S. state.
Yes... -I- passed American Government when I was in 8th grade.
You? Not so sure.

Since Article III was added via The United States Judiciary Act of 1789 (ch. 20, 1 Stat. 73-93) on September 24, 1789 in the first session of the First United States Congress.sooooooo like i said Article III was added in 1789....
You could not -possibly- be more wrong.
Article III was part of the constitution as originally written by the convention in 1787 and thereafter ratified. Further, An act of Congress cannot add an artiicle or amendment to the Constitution, nor give any powers to any portion of the government that is not alrready given said power BY ther constitution.

Please try to read and educate before you try to spread false rumors and lies.
The irony in this made me laugh so hard I almost blew my ice cream all over the monitor. Thanks! :clap2:

Last edited:
I hope that this law really educates a lot of people...and that's on both sides of the aisle.

The problem isn't with requiring this law...it's with enforcing this law.

Here's why: let's say you pass this law (or it already exists). people can write anything the want in this section. who is going to "check to see that it's right?"

wait...is a light going off in your head? it should...because that's the job of the judiciary!!! The Constitution is open to interpretation for a REASON. Not just because it's old...but because the Founding Fathers had multiple, conflicting points of view...and WANTED it to be interpreted!!

You can't do a "quick check to see if a law is constitutional"...because that's the job of the courts!

Whose version or interpretation of the constitution are you going to use, numbnuts?

Is the recent push to "only fund what's IN the Constitution" going to give way to the ACTUALITY that there are constitutional doctrines that arose through valid caselaw? Are these wingnuts going to realize that the President was given the power to create executive agencies that ARENT IN the damn document?

This "we own the Constitutution and you hate it" bullshit has got to stop. No one group owns it...we all do.

There is a difference between interpreting the constitution and passing legislation it simply doesn't allow. In some cases I'm sure legitimate arguments for and against some piece of legislation can be made. In other it should be fairly clear cut on where the feds authority to do something ends....say for example whether or not they have the authority to make people buy things.

Article III Section 2 states: Section 2. The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution,

Courts review and interpret laws. SCOTUS was given the power over "all cases, in law and equity." No doubt exists SCOTUS had the constitutional authority to review Marbury.

Again I guess the framers made a poor assumption of people's ability to understand the english language.

Cripes you bolded and italicized it Jake and you STILL didn't get it right. 'judicial power shall extend to all CASES'. A piece of legislation is not a case, therefore SCOTUS has no power over it and NO authority to review it until a case is forwarded contesting it.

Comrades,

This is most upsetting to me! How dare anyone question the supremacy of the state or of its' authority.

Who do these racist, misogynist, xenophobe, right wingers think they are?

Stating with the new congress, Republicans will require every bill to cite its specific constitutional authority, a reminder to color inside the lines drawn long ago by the Founding Fathers.

Needless to say, this is most upsetting to those of us on the progressive side for several reasons:

-how degrading that we must defer to the Constitution
-Once a bureaucracy is in place we know it's hard to get rid of
-Let us pass whatever we want and let the Courts worry about the rest
-Why remind people we are suppose to care about it
-We do enough hard work already passing bills we don't read

These are most troubling times indeed!

Wake the fuck up, you neocon/oather/birther/teabagging clowns!

Constitutional Whitewash
What House Republicans left out when they read (parts of) America's founding document.

What House Republicans left out when they read (parts of) America's founding document. - By Dahlia Lithwick - Slate Magazine

How many bills were passed under the Shrub WITHOUT any input by the Dems?
The rules set by the Courts, Congress and the Constitution weren't followed when Iraq was invaded and occupied, where was all the protests by you neocon parrots then?

Bottom line: the GOP plays you for suckers, and you just throw yourselves over the back of the chair with a smile and ask for another. :(

Without judicial review there would be no way to judge the constitutionality of laws. Period.

Obviously there were greater legal minds than yours who decided it should be granted. You luuze.

Comrades,

This is most upsetting to me! How dare anyone question the supremacy of the state or of its' authority.

Who do these racist, misogynist, xenophobe, right wingers think they are?

Stating with the new congress, Republicans will require every bill to cite its specific constitutional authority, a reminder to color inside the lines drawn long ago by the Founding Fathers.

Needless to say, this is most upsetting to those of us on the progressive side for several reasons:

-how degrading that we must defer to the Constitution
-Once a bureaucracy is in place we know it's hard to get rid of
-Let us pass whatever we want and let the Courts worry about the rest
-Why remind people we are suppose to care about it
-We do enough hard work already passing bills we don't read

These are most troubling times indeed!

what a stupid rule.

it isn't for congress to determine constitutionality it is for the courts.

So, what is your problem with 'doing it right the first time'?

Without judicial review there would be no way to judge the constitutionality of laws. Period.

Are you kidding? That is exactly what SCOTUS does when they hear a case. The question of judicial review is not just about whether the judicial branch can determine a laws constituionality. Of course they do that. The question is how are they allowed to do it. Judicial review in my understanding essentially refers to the courts taking on the responsbility of determing the constitutionality of legislation WITHOUT actually hearing a case about it.

Nope.

For the court to hear a case about a law...it must be ripe. There are other requirements...but that's a start.

Ripeness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The court can't just pick a law and say "hmmm let's review this law" - it has to come up in a case...and a case that's necessary to be heard (it wont work itself out before it's been heard for example)

Last edited:

Again I guess the framers made a poor assumption of people's ability to understand the english language.

Cripes you bolded and italicized it Jake and you STILL didn't get it right. 'judicial power shall extend to all cases. A piece of legislation is not a case, therefore SCOTUS has no power over it and NO authority to review it until a case is forwarded contesting it.

You understand the principle absolutely backwards, and the interp from 1803 is not going to change in our lifetimes.

Aside from the fact that this is incorrect.... So?
That something might be a good idea in no way excuses the fact that there's no Constitutional power that grants it.

Obviously there were greater legal minds than yours who decided it should be granted.
Yes. The court, in Marbury, who granted the power to themselves, doing so w/o any Constitutional authority to that effect.

Last edited:
Aside from the fact that this is incorrect.... So?
That something might be a good idea in no way excuses the fact that there's no Constitutional power that grants it.

Obviously there were greater legal minds than yours who decided it should be granted.
Yes. The court, in Marbury, who granted the power to themselves, doing so w/o any Constitutional authority to that effect.

The constitutionality of any legislation supporting a case claim is of course open to investigation by the appropriate court. SCOTUS was the appropriate court to consider Marbury. This was not a case on appeal; the court had immediate jurisdiction.

Sounds like a great idea on the surface, but I doubt it will really change anything.

Expect this...

commerce clause

general welfare

commerce clause

general welfare

commerce clause

general welfare

commerce clause

general welfare

commerce clause

general welfare

commerce clause