"Radio is dead; Long Live Radio"

Here's an excellent look at the nature and potentials of radio, and how we use it.

As a podcast here...

... as a web page here:
From "Under the Influence": Radio is Dead; Long Live Radio"

Just heard this on CBC Radio One. Excellent show.

Although leaning left, the CBC has a lot of great programming. And hell's bells they actually report the news.

I'm listening now.

Great show wasn't it?

Whenever I go to Canada the first thing I do (well, after the requisite stops at the ATM and a Tim Horton's) is turn on the radio and hear what real radio can sound like. It's said that the reason our best public radio tends to come from places like Wisconsin and Minnesota and New York is because they're close enough to the border to hear CBC. What we have for public radio in this country pales by comparison.

Here's an excellent look at the nature and potentials of radio, and how we use it.

As a podcast here...

... as a web page here:

Although leaning left, the CBC has a lot of great programming. And hell's bells they actually report the news.

I'm listening now.

Great show wasn't it?

Whenever I go to Canada the first thing I do (well, after the requisite stops at the ATM and a Tim Horton's) is turn on the radio and hear what real radio can sound like. It's said that the reason our best public radio tends to come from places like Wisconsin and Minnesota and New York is because they're close enough to the border to hear CBC. What we have for public radio in this country pales by comparison.

I've pretty well grown up with them.

I can't even list all the great shows. And they tackle hard hitting topics. And as I said I know they tend to lean left, but they keep that for editorializing. I love radio.

On the other hand, I better it's all I've got besides this computer :) Now if you are ever in the Toronto area another great station to tune into is CFRB.

I'm listening now.

Great show wasn't it?

I can't even list all the great shows. And they tackle hard hitting topics. And as I said I know they tend to lean left, but they keep that for editorializing. I love radio.

On the other hand, I better it's all I've got besides this computer :) Now if you are ever in the Toronto area another great station to tune into is CFRB.

I'm familiar with CFRB (via CFRX) since the my early teens. CFRX is their shortwave Xmtr on 6070. Somewhere I have a QSL card from them from the mid-1960s.

When I lived in Vermont I got hooked up with my landlady's Yagi and tuned in CKUT (140 miles away in Montréal) and CBO Ottawa (200 miles) every day. Yet I couldn't hear the station I worked at 25 miles away. My newest toy is an internet radio. Woo- hoo, it's all in there. :cool:

As a podcast here...

... as a web page here:

I'm listening now.

Great show wasn't it?

Public radio in the US is an insular racket. The customers are not the listeners.

Great show wasn't it?

I'm familiar with CFRB (via CFRX) since the my early teens. CFRX is their shortwave Xmtr on 6070. Somewhere I have a QSL card from them from the mid-1960s.

When I lived in Vermont I got hooked up with my landlady's Yagi and tuned in CKUT (140 miles away in Montréal) and CBO Ottawa (200 miles) every day. Yet I couldn't hear the station I worked at 25 miles away. My newest toy is an internet radio. Woo- hoo, it's all in there. :cool:

I've got an old Grundig that gets me pretty good reception thank goodness.

Forum List

Back