Rand Paul: we need to agree to disagree on social issues

Super_Lantern

VIP Member
Jun 2, 2013
Why is the GOP base and tea party giving Rand Paul a pass on saying this?

If you feel you are conservative or are in the tea party crowd and you like/support Rand Paul, why do you support him after he says something like that?

If you feel you are conservative or are in the tea party crowd and you like/support Rand Paul, why do you support him after he says something like that?

yes, no room for different viewpoints in rightwingnutworld.

and the answer to your query... maybe he wants to win a national election sometime this millennium?

and why do you have the idea that everyone in the GOP thinks the same way?

oh right... the bubble.

The right said they wouldn't elect another "moderate" like Mitt and McCain after Romney lost so why is Rand Paul getting so much support from those critics?

The right showed they can't stand moderates like Mitt and McCain after Romney lost so why is Rand Paul getting so much support from those critics?

mitt didn't support moderate views.

mitt was anti-choice
not for equal pay for women

mitt was a hypocrite denying his own insurance plan....

disparaged anyone who wasn't in the top 1% of society

picked creepy randian paul ryan as his running mate...

which is why 52% of the electorate told him to take a hike.

righwingnuts seem to have this bizarre idea that the more narrow their appeal, the better they'll do electorally.

you do understand that's simply insane... or we could nicely say "counterintuitive".

could you please provide a link to Paul's comments in context?

Tons of places have reported on it. Its weeks old

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) says in a new interview that Republicans should embrace a more tolerant view of those who don't hold conservative positions on social issues.

"I think that the Republican Party, in order to get bigger, will have to agree to disagree on social issues," Paul told vocativ.com. "The Republican Party is not going to give up on having quite a few people who do believe in traditional marriage. But the Republican Party also has to find a place for young people and others who don’t want to be festooned by those issues."

Paul's comments harken back somewhat to former Indiana governor Mitch Daniels's (R) call for a "truce" on social issues within the GOP. The comment at the time drew a rebuke from social conservatives.

At that same time, those groups aren't as influential in today's Republican Party, where an increasing number of people now support gay marriage, for instance.

Rand Paul: GOP needs to ?agree to disagree? on social issues

[Q:] Right. But it seems what they’re saying is that the Republican Party should stay out of issues like gay marriage.

[A:] I think that the Republican Party, in order to get bigger, will have to agree to disagree on social issues. The Republican Party is not going to give up on having quite a few people who do believe in traditional marriage. But the Republican Party also has to find a place for young people and others who don’t want to be festooned by those issues.

Rand Paul: Republicans must agree to disagree on social issues in order to grow the party « Hot Air

So the GOP and tea party crowd are really done with moderates? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Romney would have never survived the 2012 primary had he said that and no one in the GOP is batting an eye at Rand Paul saying this. Where's Sarah Palin's 2 cents on this?

it was exactly what it sounds like:

I think that the Republican Party, in order to get bigger, will have to agree to disagree on social issues," Paul told vocativ.com. "The Republican Party is not going to give up on having quite a few people who do believe in traditional marriage. But the Republican Party also has to find a place for young people and others who don’t want to be festooned by those issues."

the only problem is they may want to not talk about those issues... but it would also mean they not legislate about them.

I doubt the "base" could do that.

it was exactly what it sounds like:

I think that the Republican Party, in order to get bigger, will have to agree to disagree on social issues," Paul told vocativ.com. "The Republican Party is not going to give up on having quite a few people who do believe in traditional marriage. But the Republican Party also has to find a place for young people and others who don’t want to be festooned by those issues."

the only problem is they may want to not talk about those issues... but it would also mean they not legislate about them.

I doubt the "base" could do that.

Well, I don't agree with Rand Paul very often, but I do on this one.

Social issues are killing the party...Rand Paul is right

Not everyone has to agree on gay marriage, banning abortion in all cases, birth control, global warming and gun control

What do social issues have to do with a Tax reform movement like the Tea Party?

Last edited:
So it's okay to rally behind Rand Paul after throwing a fit over the moderate tones found in establishment candidates' Romney and McCain?

So it's okay to rally behind Rand Paul after throwing a fit over the moderate tones found in establishment candidates' Romney and McCain?

I never threw "a fit over the moderate tones found in establishment candidates' Romney and McCain."

I liked McCain when he really was a maverick. When he kissed the butt of the party line for 8 years in order to finally get that elusive nomination - and let them cram an idiot like Palin down his throat - he lost me.

Romney is a dishonest, elitist P.O.S. imho. He'd say anything to anyone if he thought he'd get a vote out of it.

My disapproval is NOT the result of their lack of extremism.

Last edited:
A Republican should be able to say...

- My sister is gay and she is happily married. I support gay marriage
- Like 97% of Climate Scientists, I believe in global warming
- Like Reagan, I support reasonable gun controls like background checks and limiting high capacity magazines
- I believe a woman should be able to get an abortion in the case of rape or risk of her life
- I support public funding of birth control

But I do support fiscal responsibility, low taxes and limited government

Last edited:
A Republican should be able to say...

- My sister is gay and she is happily married. I support gay marriage
- Like 97% of Climate Scientists, I believe in global warming
- Like Reagan, I support reasonable gun controls like background checks and limiting high capacity magazines
- I believe a woman should be able to get an abortion in the case of rape or risk of her life
- I support public funding of birth control

But I do support fiscal responsibility, low taxes and limited government

But my sisters are straight.
Other than that - you pegged me.

Forum List

Back