Random History

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
Here is a place to drop random history finds or interests you want to share. It can be an article a video a photo an artifact fact anything related to history. Just something random history related.

1692566531660.png

Some things..just never change--from the link:

Though locals had observed the structural issues with the molasses tank, the tank's owners initially blamed an anarchist plot to bomb the tank. An initial inquiry and a later class-action lawsuit revealed the structural instability of the tank. In 1925, a court-appointed auditor ruled that the negligence by the tank's owners was to blame for the tank's collapse and the loss of life and property. The tragedy of Boston's molasses flood led to great changes in the way the United States regulated industries. According to Stephen Puleo, regulations stipulating that engineers needed to sign and seal plans, building inspectors needed to examine projects, and that architects needed to show their work all came as a result of Boston's molasses flood.

Ahhh..the good ole days eh?
1692569020107.jpeg

To the surprise of no one who worked on the Cuyahoga, an oil slick on the river caught fire the morning of Sunday, June 22, 1969. The blaze only lasted about 30 minutes, extinguished by land-based battalions and one of the city’s fireboats. It caused about $50,000 in damage to railroad bridges spanning the river and earned a small amount of attention in the local press. The fire was so small and short-lived that no one managed to get a single photo of it. For Donovan, the summer ended uneventfully and he went off to school without having thought much further on the state of Lake Erie or the Cuyahoga River.
What happened next was the real surprise.
Time magazine published an article on the fire—with an accompanying photo from an incident in 1952. National Geographic featured the river in their December 1970 cover story “Our Ecological Crisis” (but managed to get the date of the fire wrong). Congress established the Environmental Protection Agency in January 1970, for the first time creating a federal bureau to oversee pollution regulations. In April 1970, Donovan was one of 1,000 students marching down to the river for the country’s first Earth Day. The nation, it seemed, had suddenly woken up to the realities of industrial pollution, and the Cuyahoga River was the symbol of calamity.

But on the day of the fire, it had meant nothing to the masses. Only in the following months and years did the fire gain its strange significance. As historians David and Richard Stradling write, “The fire took on mythic status, and errors of fact became unimportant to the story’s obvious meaning. … Clearly this transformative fire must have been massive; the nation must have seen the flames and been appropriately moved. Neither is true.”

Last edited:
I remember that..I remember reading a Reader's Digest article about it..chilling--people incinerated. I imagine that was bigger than the Roseville explosions--they did go on for hours..I heard that they evacuated a five mile radius--amazingly..no one died.
The Paradise fire a few years back was another--I would say on the same scale as the current Lahaina fire.

This woman was almost lost to history. She left no picture or painting--we only have 'presumed' portraits, with no provenance, so we don't know what she even looked like..but her contribution was huge!

Forum List

Back