Rape and Violence: Should Australia be ashamed?

In the US, a woman is raped every few minutes. I'd say you have a problem.

And even more frequently in Australia. You have a bigger problem. At least our women are able to effectively defend themselves, at least outside of the progressive urban enclaves where violent crime is highest.

A woman is NOT raped every few minutes in Australia.
Pull your head out of your arse, you fool.

THIS is how you dispute the official government statistics???

Are you retarded?

Like it or not, Australia has a higher rate of rape and assault than the United States. You also have a higher rate of suicide, by the way. Deal with it asshole.

And even more frequently in Australia. You have a bigger problem. At least our women are able to effectively defend themselves, at least outside of the progressive urban enclaves where violent crime is highest.

Are you retarded?

Like it or not, Australia has a higher rate of rape and assault than the United States. You also have a higher rate of suicide, by the way. Deal with it asshole.

Why Australia, Sweden have more rapes
Rema Nagarajan, TNN Dec 21, 2012, 02.47AM IST

Tags:
Women|Julian Assange|general public

(The definition of rape differs…)
NEW DELHI: If we were to go only by numbers, Australia and Sweden would seem to be the rape capitals of the world, with women being most unsafe in these countries.

Of course, the definition of rape differs from country to country and that, coupled with how well the crime is reported and recorded, determines what the numbers are finally going to look like.

This difference in definition would explain why countries like India figure as nations with very low incidence of rape compared to places like Sweden or even Norway and France. For, the case of rape against Julian Assange in Sweden would not even be counted as rape in India.

Moreover, in most countries, even in the developed world, rape is listed as one of the most under-reported crimes. This would be even more so in countries like India. In most countries, the increase in the number of rape cases is often the result of a broadening of the definition of rape, which could explain why some countries like Sweden and Norway show a spike in the crime.
Why Australia, Sweden have more rapes - Times Of India

There are any number of articles pointing out that global crime statistics - maybe apart from homicide - are virtually worthless as one country's rape might be another country's banter.

Hmmm...most of the arguments I see from pro-gun folk point to the apparent rise in crime in the UK since guns were banned.

Without reliable statistics, I can't refute your claim...any more than you can back it up.

Are you retarded?

Tags:

NEW DELHI: If we were to go only by numbers, Australia and Sweden would seem to be the rape capitals of the world, with women being most unsafe in these countries.

Of course, the definition of rape differs from country to country and that, coupled with how well the crime is reported and recorded, determines what the numbers are finally going to look like.

This difference in definition would explain why countries like India figure as nations with very low incidence of rape compared to places like Sweden or even Norway and France. For, the case of rape against Julian Assange in Sweden would not even be counted as rape in India.

Moreover, in most countries, even in the developed world, rape is listed as one of the most under-reported crimes. This would be even more so in countries like India. In most countries, the increase in the number of rape cases is often the result of a broadening of the definition of rape, which could explain why some countries like Sweden and Norway show a spike in the crime.

There are any number of articles pointing out that global crime statistics - maybe apart from homicide - are virtually worthless as one country's rape might be another country's banter.

Funny, when we 2nd amendment supporters point out how crime stats are under and mis-reported in places like England, we're met with incongruity. Of course, we cite specific and official reasons why that's the case. Let's keep that in mind the next time a gun control debate comes up.

To the point, your link does NOT compare Australia's rate of rate to that of America. India was not part of the conversation. However you slice it, every indicator suggests there is a higher rate of rape and assault in Australia than the US. If you want to refute that specifically, have at it. Noomi's "because I say so" retort holds no water.

Are you retarded?

Tags:

Funny, when we 2nd amendment supporters point out how crime stats are under and mis-reported in places like England, we're met with incongruity. Of course, we cite specific and official reasons why that's the case. Let's keep that in mind the next time a gun control debate comes up.

To the point, your link does NOT compare Australia's rate of rate to that of America. India was not part of the conversation. However you slice it, every indicator suggests there is a higher rate of rape and assault in Australia than the US. If you want to refute that specifically, have at it. Noomi's "because I say so" retort holds no water.

Did you not read my link?
It was just making the point that the global statistics are highly unreliable...it just so happened that the article came from India.

As an example of the unreliability, here's a link from the CDC suggesting that the US rape rate is much higher than official reported rates.
In a nationally representative survey of adults
• Nearly 1 in 5 (18.3%)women and 1 in 71 men
(1.4%)reported experiencing rape at some time in
their lives.
http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/pdf/SV-DataSheet-a.pdf

Australia's rate is 1% (according to the global statistics).
So, despite owning guns with which to protect themselves, US women are over 18 times more likely to be raped than Aussie women...apparently.

I think I mentioned this in Canada thread but I will repeat it again. The UN statistics that I have cited only takes into account the incidents where a woman was forced to have sex against her will. It excludes the cases of non violent rape such as statutory rape unless the girl is under 13. The UN has a very specific definition of rape and it only counts those incidents. European countries especially northern and western ones rank very high on rape index - the statistics gathered by the UN is fairly accurate.

Crime and criminal justice statistics

While doing my research, I learned that Australia ranks number one in the category where a woman is killed/raped by her partner.

http://endviolence.un.org/pdf/pressmaterials/unite_the_situation_en.pdf

Last edited:
I think I mentioned this in Canada thread but I will repeat it again. The UN statistics that I have cited only takes into account the incidents where a woman was forced to have sex against her will. It excludes the cases of non violent rape such as statutory rape unless the girl is under 13. The UN has a very specific definition of rape and it only counts those incidents. European countries especially northern and western ones rank very high on rape index - the statistics gathered by the UN is fairly accurate.

While doing my research, I learned that Australia ranks number one in the category where a woman is killed/raped by her partner.

Some partner, huh?

Some partner, huh?

It must be a very terrifying experience.

I spent several days in the Alice Springs hospital after falling ill while attending a friend's wedding. I shared a ward with a middle-aged Aboriginal man who was quite proud that he had raped a 13-year-old girl. As he said, "She wouldn't say yes, so I f---ed her hard."

It did not surprise me. A few years before, I was in Alice Springs talking to two Aboriginal men in their early 70s. They were preparing to go into town to buy plastic toy dinosaurs. This was to pay a 12-year-old girl for having sex with both of them at the same time.

What amazed me was their lack of shame or even simple embarrassment. What disturbed me even more was that the most common sight in the hospital was Aboriginal women and girls with severe injuries suffered during domestic violence. Some of their faces looked as though an incompetent butcher had conducted plastic surgery with a hammer and saw. The fear in their eyes reminded me of dogs whipped into cringing submission. The confronting evidence of what men had done to the women was almost unbearable.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Last edited:

Former Accrington police officer guilty of child sex abuse

A RETIRED police sergeant has been found guilty of inflicting ‘appalling’ sexual and physical child abuse on two victims.

Jeffrey Lake, 78, was extradited from his home in Queensland, Australia, to stand trial on the historic offences - the vast majority of which were committed when he was a serving police officer in Accrington and Liverpool.

The defendant emigrated in 2002 and had been living there for seven years when one of the complainants walked into a police station in Lancashire and said Lake had sexually and physically abused her as a child.

The woman was interviewed at length and when the investigation widened a second person claimed he too had been abused by the defendant, Preston Crown Court was told.

She said that Lake moved from the UK to avoid his past after she had previously written letters to him describing the agony he had put her through.

Lake, who has family connections in Australia, said that was not true and he was simply looking for a better life.

He was arrested in January and brought to the UK.

Yesterday, he was found guilty of 20 allegations of historic abuse including rape, buggery, indecency with a child, indecent assault and child cruelty, said to have taken place in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Lake had served in the police in the 1950s, '60s and '70s.

Opening the case, prosecutor Louise Whaites said the female victim went on to suffer from depression and anxiety and had attempted suicide - as had the male victim in the case.

"She was clearly unable to cope with what happened to her," she said.

In the mid-1970s she wrote to the defendant and told him how she felt about what he had done to her, the jury was told.

She received no response or acknowledgement from Lake.

Following his emigration, she wrote more letters to him in which she said she was concerned that he had not changed and would go on to commit similar offences.

She said her death ‘wouldn't bring matters to a close for him’ because she had told her GP, her husband and also her children about the abuse.

Lake claimed he had never received any of the letters she said she had sent.

In December 2009, she finally made a complaint to the police.

Giving evidence, Lake denied all the charges against him and said he was ‘not of the persuasion’ of someone who sexually abuses children.

Lake, of Peregian Springs, had no previous convictions.

He was remanded in custody and will be sentenced on October 24.

Former Accrington police officer guilty of child sex abuse (From The Bolton News)

It is seems like Aussies are proud of their rape culture.

---

Rape ‘joke’ wins sexism award for Australia student

Rape ?joke? wins sexism award for Australia student | GulfNews.com

Aussies?

Try "dimwitted uni students";

Sydney: Students from Sydney University have been handed Australia’s annual gold “Ernie” award for sexism for distributing beer holders branded “It’s not rape if it’s my birthday”, organisers said Thursday.

Hardly an award for anything good.

Gillard was good at dishing it out...not much good at taking it when it came flying back.

Forum List

Back