Reid Changing Filibuster Rules

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
can anyone really blame him for the "party of no" (hint- the party that couldn't win the Presidency or the senate :redface: ) simply blocking anything that moves for the past 4+ yrs? Sen. Reid is a statesman & a scholar

Reid threatens to go nuclear on filibuster reform | MSNBC
“I’m considering looking at the rules,” the Nevada Democrat told reporters on Tuesday. “The American people are sick of this. In the name of simple fairness, any president, not just President Obama, Democrat or Republican, needs to be able to have the team that he wants in place,” Reid added.

Reid’s threat comes as Senate Republicans blocked – for the third time in three weeks—Obama’s pick, Robert Wilkins, to be a judge on the powerful D.C. Court of Appeals. Reid had a solid majority, but due to GOP’s exploitation of the Senate’s arcane rules, Democrats still fell six votes short of ending debate on Wilkins’ nomination.

Last edited:
can anyone really blame him for the "party of no" (hint- the party that couldn't win the Presidency or the senate :redface: ) simply blocking anything that moves for the past 4+ yrs?

Well Jesus Christ, looking at the last notable piece of legislation (Obamacare), I can't fucking blame them for blocking anything since --- well, there was the bipartisan and secretive passing of the NDAA to kidnap American political dissidents and hold them in an offshore Article II court for the rest of their lives without trial or Habeas Corpus.

The majority should rule in a democracy.

Get rid of the filibuster forever.

We're a Republic, not a Democracy:

United States Constitution, Article IV, Section 4:

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion.

Furthermore, it's the Senate, which represents the States equally, regardless of their actual population; your statement would have some ground for argument if you were commenting on the House of Representatives.

Wait, you're a Liberal, which means you won't even read what I wrote

:(

can anyone really blame him for the "party of no" (hint- the party that couldn't win the Presidency or the senate :redface: ) simply blocking anything that moves for the past 4+ yrs? Sen. Reid is a statesman & a scholar

“I’m considering looking at the rules,” the Nevada Democrat told reporters on Tuesday. “The American people are sick of this. In the name of simple fairness, any president, not just President Obama, Democrat or Republican, needs to be able to have the team that he wants in place,” Reid added.

Reid’s threat comes as Senate Republicans blocked – for the third time in three weeks—Obama’s pick, Robert Wilkins, to be a judge on the powerful D.C. Court of Appeals. Reid had a solid majority, but due to GOP’s exploitation of the Senate’s arcane rules, Democrats still fell six votes short of ending debate on Wilkins’ nomination.

He's considering looking at this? I'm considering buying a cattle prod to get him moving on it.

So, I guess the minority should just be trampled underfoot when it suits you? So what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot? Wouldn't be too happy about it now would you?

Suuuure.

Do you realize how dumb you liberals sound? Quit throwing a tantrum and grow up. Geesh.

He's considering looking at this? I'm considering buying a cattle prod to get him moving on it.

Somebody needs to cattle prod you back into the real world Sarah. Do you realize that this could backfire on liberals? Damage the fabric of our political system?

I'll be laughing if he changes the rules and a Republican house, senate and White House get elected and they all mold America to their will. Look me up when they do. When you find me, you'll know what I'll say?

You asked for it.

can anyone really blame him for the "party of no" (hint- the party that couldn't win the Presidency or the senate :redface: ) simply blocking anything that moves for the past 4+ yrs?

Well Jesus Christ, looking at the last notable piece of legislation (Obamacare), I can't fucking blame them for blocking anything since --- well, there was the bipartisan and secretive passing of the NDAA to kidnap American political dissidents and hold them in an offshore Article II court for the rest of their lives without trial or Habeas Corpus.

It's not just obamacare it's been the whole obama presidency nothing but one fuckup or government overreach after another. dictators in waiting shouldn't be allowed the power that obama has.

Didn't he already threaten that, and not follow through?

I think it's all showmanship. "Grrr!! Arghh."

^This

He did, right?? I remember ... and then he just folded like a cheap suit.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand.

Reid considering change to nominations rules | Boston Herald

It has been unclear whether Reid has the 51 votes he would need to revamp the Senate's rules. Some senior Democratic lawmakers have been wary of a change, arguing that their party would regret it whenever the GOP regains control of the Senate and White House.

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin, D-Mich., is among those who has warned against rewriting the rules, while Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., said he remained undecided. Both were elected in 1978 and are retiring from the Senate in 2015.

Nonetheless, Reid has been winning growing support among Democrats for such a change.

On Tuesday, Feinstein, now in her fifth six-year term, said she now supported a rules change.

"The American people want us to legislate," she told reporters. "They want the government to operate. They want us to get our work done. You can't do it if the president can't get a Cabinet, a sub-Cabinet, judges, commissioners."

Seven-term veteran Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, expressed support for the idea last week.

Somebody needs to cattle prod you back into the real world Sarah. Do you realize that this could backfire on liberals? Damage the fabric of our political system?

I'll be laughing if he changes the rules and a Republican house, senate and White House get elected and they all mold America to their will. Look me up when they do. When you find me, you'll know what I'll say?

You asked for it.

You can bet your last dollar that Sarah will be whining how "undemocratic" the Republicans are if that happens.

Several times. He's such a pushover. It's only for confirmation of judges anyway and Democrats never hold up the process like that. It's ridiculous, he should have taken steps years ago with this bunch.

Several times. He's such a pushover. It's only for confirmation of judges anyway and Democrats never hold up the process like that. It's ridiculous, he should have taken steps years ago with this bunch.

Now I'm understanding why the Republicans were kept in the house. Gee, could it have anything to do with Democrats in the Senate wanting to abuse the Democratic process?

Politics for dummies, Lesson One:

Never, ever make laws or rules your opponents can use against you.

Last edited:

Now I'm understanding why the Republicans were kept in the house. Gee, could it have anything to do with Democrats in the Senate wanting to abuse the Democratic process?

Politics for dummies, Lesson One:

Never, ever make laws or rules your opponents can use against you.

I understand what you are trying to say but in this case I don't see it being a problem if by some miracle Republicans take the Senate back. Democrats don't operate that way. When was the last time you saw them not confirming judges in the kinds of numbers Republicans are doing it now?

3 in three weeks is simply blatant.

Forum List

Back