Reinhardt's Last Opinion-a Victory for Equal Pay

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Court: Women can't be paid less than men based on past wages

One parting shot..sort of a shot from the grave:

"Employers cannot pay women less than men for the same work based on differences in their salaries at previous jobs, a federal appeals court said Monday.
Pay differences based on prior salaries are discriminatory under the federal Equal Pay Act, a unanimous 11-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said.
The decision overturned a ruling last year by a smaller panel of 9th Circuit judges that had been criticized by equal pay advocates.
Allowing pay differences based on previous salaries would perpetuate wage gaps between men and women that are based on discrimination in the job market, Judge Stephen Reinhardt wrote.

Reinhardt — considered among the most liberal members of the 9th Circuit — wrote the opinion before he died last month."

"Employers cannot pay women less than men for the same work based on differences in their salaries at previous jobs, a federal appeals court said Monday.
Pay differences based on prior salaries are discriminatory under the federal Equal Pay Act, a unanimous 11-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said.
The decision overturned a ruling last year by a smaller panel of 9th Circuit judges that had been criticized by equal pay advocates.
Allowing pay differences based on previous salaries would perpetuate wage gaps between men and women that are based on discrimination in the job market, Judge Stephen Reinhardt wrote.

Reinhardt — considered among the most liberal members of the 9th Circuit — wrote the opinion before he died last month."

There is no discrimination in the job market.

There is no discrimination in the job market.
If that was a joke...very funny!

If not..funnier!

Don't crush, that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Why does gender usurp qualifications? Can men be paid less than women for any particular reason or does this standard only apply to the benefit of women?
What a moron.

Why does gender usurp qualifications? Can men be paid less than women for any particular reason or does this standard only apply to the benefit of women?
What a moron.
Gender does NOT usurp qualifications..that's the whole point. In either a positive or a negative sense.

What a moron.
Gender does NOT usurp qualifications..that's the whole point. In either a positive or a negative sense.
But only a one-way standard is applied in this judgment.

What a moron.
Only one was needed..unless you are contending that men are paid less than women? In any field?

"Equal work" is a pseudonym for government imposed pay structures. That means a secretary in a nice warm office should be paid the same as an oil rig worker on the North Slope.

It is just more psychedelic feel good hogwash.

Just give her a different job title (associate technician) ...
And a minor revision/reduction to the job responsibilities.

What a moron.
Only one was needed..unless you are contending that men are paid less than women? In any field?
There is no proof that they absolutely are. This judgment falsely presumes that and becomes exclusive.

I wouldn't want to get paid equal to what he is paid for having the same job he does.
I want to earn more than he does for doing the same job better than he can.

"Equal work" is a pseudonym for government imposed pay structures. That means a secretary in a nice warm office should be paid the same as an oil rig worker on the North Slope.
No...no it doesn't!
Wow! I need to get the new code book! So, I'm guessing that you are against the minimum wage then...in any form?

I wouldn't want to get paid equal to what he is paid for having the same job he does.
I want to earn more than he does for doing the same job better than he can.

Hopefully you believe that standard applies regardless of gender.

Oh, I know it does (not with every employer I assume) ... But that responsibility resides in the employee and employer, not the law or government.
But really ... Ask me if I ever want to get equal pay as someone else ... Hell no, I want to earn as much as I can ... Screw them.

Oh, I know it does (not with every employer I assume) ... But that responsibility resides in the employee and employer, not the law or government.
But really ... Ask me if I ever want to get equal pay as someone else ... Hell no, I want to earn as much as I can ... Screw them.

You need to stipulate that in the contract.

Contracts are just part of the hiring process ... If you are a "cold hire", they don't know you and you don't know them.
It's a lot easier to get what you want when you work circles around everyone else.

Make your work product and work ethic more valuable (undeniable) to the employer ... And demand more.
And ... Don't stop demanding more ... More money, more responsibility, more benefits.

Edit:
Remember not to ask for something you cannot provide for ...
And don't ever make them regret giving you more responsibility or more pay than you are worth.

Last edited:

Contracts are just part of the hiring process ... If you are a "cold hire", they don't know you and you don't know them.
It's a lot easier to get what you want when you work circles around everyone else.

Make your work product and work ethic more valuable (undeniable) to the employer ... And demand more.
And ... Don't stop demanding more ... More money, more responsibility, more benefits.

Edit:
Remember not to ask for something you cannot provide for ...
And don't ever make them regret giving you more responsibility or more pay than you are worth.

That sounds very contractual.

That sounds very contractual.

I preferred the idea of making twice as much as I originally contracted for by the end of the first year.
A contract is where you start ... And merely guidelines for protecting the employer and the employee.

If you want to be the same old dime a dozen employee ... Then you worry about the contract.
There was never a job I applied for, that I didn't want to be promoted up from as soon as possible.

My standard answer to the manager's interview question, "Where do you see yourself with us five years from now" ... Was, "In your chair".
I used the response three times and took the one job offer it got me.

Last edited:
What a moron.

And government is in charge of determining qualifications?

No...no it doesn't!
Wow! I need to get the new code book! So, I'm guessing that you are against the minimum wage then...in any form?

The difference between equal pay for equal work and equal pay for work of equal value - Wikipedia
Equal pay for equal work Equal pay for work of equal value
Equal pay compares the pay of incumbents in the same or very similar jobs. Pay equity compares the value and pay of different jobs, such as nurse and electrician.
Either men or women can complain that their work is undervalued. If a male incumbent is paid less than a female incumbent in the same job, he can file a complaint. As well, a woman or man can complain if she or he is paid less than a man or woman in the same job. Only people (both men and women) in jobs traditionally reserved for women can complain that their work is undervalued. If nurses are paid less than electricians by the same employer, then they can file a complaint.

The problem which exists in comparing jobs involving different skills with each other is that there are intangibles besides skills and experience which come into play in determining pay. For example, it may take the same level of skills to be an electrician as it does to be a nurse, but if the electrician is performing their job 200 feet above the base floor of an offshore oil rig, pay will tend to be higher because the attendant risks are likewise higher. Indeed, many argue that the unwillingness of women to work in jobs which are dangerous or otherwise undesirable such as plumbing and coal mining accounts for a significant percentage of the wage gap.

Forum List

Back