Religion: The clear and present danger of our time

You were making an assumption that is still unsupported.

How convenient to ignore the fact that it was you good xtian bible belt thumpers who promoted and maintained segregation in the south.

You need to understand the difference between an "assumption" and a "logical deduction".

Because it is utterly ridiculous to question that, in a 90% plus Christian nation, that a political movement started by, dominated by, and led by Christian Churches would be, to a vast majority, Christian.

I'm not ignoring the fact that the Segregationist were also mostly Christian. I just don't see what your point is.

That is why I have repeatedly asked you what your point was in bringing it up.

Do you consider yourself a liberal?
The civil rights movement was in no way "a movement started by, dominated by, and led by Christian Churches."

You have conveniently ignored the fact that it was you good xtian bible belt thumpers who were going to those Christian churches who promoted and maintained segregation in the south.

1. You might want to read up on the Southern Christian Leadership Conference founded 1957.

2. Do you consider yourself a liberal? Do you believe in diversity?
You might want to read up on the political environment of the 1960's.

You good Christian folk in the Bible Belt had to be dragged out of the 19th century kicking and screaming.

1. Have you discovered the large role Christian Churches played in the Civil Rights movement yet?

2. Do you consider yourself a Liberal? Do you believe in Diversity?

3. I am aware of that. WHat is your point about that?
Christian churches played a minor role in the civil rights movement. I understand you're hoping to minimize the role Christians played in maintaining segregation, but that's just dishonest.

You might want to examine the facts of the political and social dynamics of the late '50's, early '60's to understand the civil rights movement.

\
lol, Hollie?.....she believes everyone who doesn't agree with her believes exactly the same thing.......
I went over to my theist friend who has a problem with me not believing. I said, "is that all you are saying is there must be a god? Nothing else? He didn't talk to you or tell you about heaven and hell? Youre just saying there must be? OK, then it doesnt matter what I believe, right?" And he said yes. So OK. We agree to disagreement I dont care what they believe when they go to bed. Who they talk to....

Ahhh I just got post mordems point. I'm trying to convince theists are wrong and I think they are evil just like they do gays and athiests. Now I see.
lol.....you just spend your free time on a religion board arguing that anyone who believes in deities are fools.......you aren't proselytizing for atheism........

Christianity and Islam represent the single greatest threat to our planet. Islam, for all its overt violence and quirky cultural traditions is at least overt and a known quantity. But Christianity, posing itself as warm and fluffy is much more insidious as the recent Duggar revelations show. I'm beginning to wonder if they're actually watching how Islam works and beginning to adopt Islamic practices in order to gain the kind of power Islam wields.

No one dares mock Mohammed, the Qur'an, or Islam itself (except online heh,) for fear of violent reprisals. But that kind of fear doesn't extend to Christianity. And I think they've noticed, and envy Islam for the fear it generates and would like to become more like them.

I expect to see Christian extremists become increasingly violent and overt in the next few years much as Islam is now.

Yes. There is no doubt at all that the nations that adopted scientific atheism are clearly superior and non-violent: Soviet Union, Maoist China, Pol Pot's Cambodia, ... Those Xians are, like, opposed to butt sex between men n stuff, and against baby killing, both wonderful things that represent the highest achievements of enlightened 'cultural' advancements, so clearly they have to be repressed.

"NAMBLA" logic - an extreme absolutist position which demands that for logical consistencies sake that certain gross crimes be allowed, in order that no one might feel restrained.
Stirling S. Newberry

Actually gay males in the US only make up about 5% of the population but account for a staggering STD rate, putting them about 60% of newly diagnosed AIDS cases every year and rising

Now that is simply science telling us that the Christian view of gay sex is spot on, albeit an inconvenient truth, as Al Gore likes to say.

As for the unborn, the atheist knows that their pagan goddess the birth fairy must wave her magic wand over the infant as it exits the birth canal before we can call it human, at least, this is what they think science tells us.

I generally agree, except 5% is probably 2 to three times the real percentage of those afflicted with that mental disorder. Yes, they're a public health menace, and not only re STD's, and I'm sure the manifestations of that mental disorder were not much different anywhere in history than they are now.

You need to understand the difference between an "assumption" and a "logical deduction".

Because it is utterly ridiculous to question that, in a 90% plus Christian nation, that a political movement started by, dominated by, and led by Christian Churches would be, to a vast majority, Christian.

I'm not ignoring the fact that the Segregationist were also mostly Christian. I just don't see what your point is.

The civil rights movement was in no way "a movement started by, dominated by, and led by Christian Churches."

You have conveniently ignored the fact that it was you good xtian bible belt thumpers who were going to those Christian churches who promoted and maintained segregation in the south.

1. You might want to read up on the Southern Christian Leadership Conference founded 1957.

You good Christian folk in the Bible Belt had to be dragged out of the 19th century kicking and screaming.

1. Have you discovered the large role Christian Churches played in the Civil Rights movement yet?

Christian churches played a minor role in the civil rights movement. I understand you're hoping to minimize the role Christians played in maintaining segregation, but that's just dishonest.

You might want to examine the facts of the political and social dynamics of the late '50's, early '60's to understand the civil rights movement.

1. Your claim is factually incorrect.

Civil Rights Movement - Black History - HISTORY.com

"Martin Luther King, Jr., who emerged as the boycott movement’s most effective leader, possessed unique conciliatory and oratorical skills. He understood the larger significance of the boycott and quickly realized that the nonviolent tactics used by the Indian nationalist Mahatma Gandhi could be used by southern blacks. “I had come to see early that the Christian doctrine of love operating through the Gandhian method of nonviolence was one of the most potent weapons available to the Negro in his struggle for freedom,” he explained. Although Parks and King were members of the NAACP, the Montgomery movement led to the creation in 1957 of a new regional organization, the clergy-led Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) with King as its president."

"TheSCLC protest strategy achieved its first major success in 1963 when the group launched a major campaign in Birmingham, Alabama. Highly publicized confrontations between nonviolent protesters, including schoolchildren, on the one hand, and police with clubs, fire hoses, and police dogs, on the other, gained northern sympathy. The Birmingham clashes and other simultaneous civil rights efforts prompted President John F. Kennedy to push for passage of new civil rights legislation. By the summer of 1963, the Birmingham protests had become only one of many local protest insurgencies that culminated in the August 28March on Washington, which attracted at least 200,000 participants. King’s address on that occasion captured the idealistic spirit of the expanding protests. “I have a dream,” he said, “that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed–we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.”"

"On March 7 an SCLC planned march from Selma to the state capitol in Montgomery ended almost before it began at Pettus Bridge on the outskirts of Selma, when mounted police using tear gas and wielding clubs attacked the protesters. News accounts of “Bloody Sunday” brought hundreds of civil rights sympathizers to Selma. Many demonstrators were determined to mobilize another march, andSNCC activists challenged King to defy a court order forbidding such marches. But reluctant to do anything that would lessen public support for the voting rights cause, King on March 9 turned back a second march to the Pettus Bridge when it was blocked by the police. That evening a group of Selma whites killed a northern white minister who had joined the demonstrations. In contrast to the killing of a black man, Jimmy Lee Jackson, a few weeks before, the Reverend James Reeb’s death led to a national outcry. "

2. Are you confusing me with someone else? I have repeatedly agreed that that forces supporting segregation were also majority Christian.

3. Do you consider yourself a liberal? Do you support Diversity?

"Martin Luther King, Jr., who emerged as the boycott movement’s most effective leader, possessed unique conciliatory and oratorical skills. He understood the larger significance of the boycott and quickly realized that the nonviolent tactics used by the Indian nationalist Mahatma Gandhi could be used by southern blacks. “I had come to see early that the Christian doctrine of love operating through the Gandhian method of nonviolence was one of the most potent weapons available to the Negro in his struggle for freedom,” he explained. Although Parks and King were members of the NAACP, the Montgomery movement led to the creation in 1957 of a new regional organization, the clergy-led Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) with King as its president."

"TheSCLC protest strategy achieved its first major success in 1963 when the group launched a major campaign in Birmingham, Alabama. Highly publicized confrontations between nonviolent protesters, including schoolchildren, on the one hand, and police with clubs, fire hoses, and police dogs, on the other, gained northern sympathy. The Birmingham clashes and other simultaneous civil rights efforts prompted President John F. Kennedy to push for passage of new civil rights legislation. By the summer of 1963, the Birmingham protests had become only one of many local protest insurgencies that culminated in the August 28March on Washington, which attracted at least 200,000 participants. King’s address on that occasion captured the idealistic spirit of the expanding protests. “I have a dream,” he said, “that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed–we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.”"

"On March 7 an SCLC planned march from Selma to the state capitol in Montgomery ended almost before it began at Pettus Bridge on the outskirts of Selma, when mounted police using tear gas and wielding clubs attacked the protesters. News accounts of “Bloody Sunday” brought hundreds of civil rights sympathizers to Selma. Many demonstrators were determined to mobilize another march, andSNCC activists challenged King to defy a court order forbidding such marches. But reluctant to do anything that would lessen public support for the voting rights cause, King on March 9 turned back a second march to the Pettus Bridge when it was blocked by the police. That evening a group of Selma whites killed a northern white minister who had joined the demonstrations. In contrast to the killing of a black man, Jimmy Lee Jackson, a few weeks before, the Reverend James Reeb’s death led to a national outcry. "

2. Are you confusing me with someone else? I have repeatedly agreed that that forces supporting segregation were also majority Christian.

That lengthy cut and paste does nothing to support your claim that christian churches had a significant role in the civil rights movement.

That lengthy cut and paste does nothing to support your claim that christian churches had a significant role in the civil rights movement.

1. Yes, it did.

2. Do you consider yourself a liberal? Do you support Diversity?

1. Yes, it did.

Nothing in your long cut and paste supports your claim that the christian church had any meaningful involvement with the civil rights movement.

\
lol, Hollie?.....she believes everyone who doesn't agree with her believes exactly the same thing.......
I went over to my theist friend who has a problem with me not believing. I said, "is that all you are saying is there must be a god? Nothing else? He didn't talk to you or tell you about heaven and hell? Youre just saying there must be? OK, then it doesnt matter what I believe, right?" And he said yes. So OK. We agree to disagreement I dont care what they believe when they go to bed. Who they talk to....

Ahhh I just got post mordems point. I'm trying to convince theists are wrong and I think they are evil just like they do gays and athiests. Now I see.
lol.....you just spend your free time on a religion board arguing that anyone who believes in deities are fools.......you aren't proselytizing for atheism........
I told you I concede that I am doing the same thingto religious people that religious people do to gays

I remember my white Christian friends parents and they're racist talk and how they justify their racism that we are just differentthe even show me in the Bible it was okay and that we were just different and we should not mix

... I remember my white Christian friends parents and they're racist talk and how they justify their racism that we are just differentthe even show me in the Bible it was okay and that we were just different and we should not mix

So why do you discuss any longer if you think the white Christians in the USA are a deadly threat for you? Do you think what you say here helps you to survive? ... And why fought your grandfather for this white american assholes against white german assholes like I am one and died for them in WW2? Makes anything what you say here any sense?

Last edited:

1. Yes, it did.

Nothing in your long cut and paste supports your claim that the christian church had any meaningful involvement with the civil rights movement.

Why are you lying and avoiding simple questions?

1. Yes, it did.

1. Yes, it did.

1. Yes, it did.

You should read the material you cut and paste. Nothing in the wiki cut and paste identifies the christian church having any meaningful involvement with the civil rights movement.

Market Moses

During the Algerian Revolution, Islamic freedom-fighters broke tradition and recruited veiled Muslim women to carry messages and items for them.

I remember visiting my native country of India and thinking about the labors of male rickshaw (pedestrian passenger carriage) drivers pulling their people-heavy carts with their legs.

It's strange how ideas about general labor can be wrought from developing countries, countries otherwise infested with disease-carrying mosquitoes.

America is a prospering and developed land of capitalism-gauged multi-culturalism (i.e., Chinatown, San Francisco) marketing labor-review fanfare Hollywood (USA) films such as "Working Girl" (1988).

We seem to talk about religion these days in terms of East-West dollar contests (i.e., OPEC) which usually boil down to conflicts between Middle Eastern Islam and Western Christianity.

When I think of the populism-friendly fictional American comic book super-vigilante Green Hornet (DC Comics) and his Asian sidekick Kato, I think about the fertile dialogue ground that modern multi-culturalism creates for religion dissection.

:afro:

Green Hornet (Wikipedia)

chinatown.jpg

1. Yes, it did.

1. Yes, it did.

You should read the material you cut and paste. Nothing in the wiki cut and paste identifies the christian church having any meaningful involvement with the civil rights movement.

What do you consider the Southern Christian Leadership Conference?

1. Yes, it did.

1. Yes, it did.

1. Yes, it did.

1. Yes, it did.

A single organization.

Anybody who seriously claims Christian churches didn't have anything to do with the civil rights marches is either completely ignorant or lying; there is no middle ground.

If you look at the great social movements of American politics, not only the movement that led to the founding, which was driven in part by the First Great Awakening, but the movements that led to the temperance movement, the suffragette movement, the civil rights movement, the anti-slavery movement, there were not only waves of religious revival that often preceded and sometimes accompanied these movements, but the arguments in favor of these causes were made in explicitly religious terms…If you were to subtract the influence of Christianity from the west, what would be left? If you were to subtract it from America, no founding; no Declaration of Independence; no anti-slavery movement; no civil rights movement.

Dinesh D'Souza

Last edited:
Christianity and Islam represent the single greatest threat to our planet. Islam, for all its overt violence and quirky cultural traditions is at least overt and a known quantity. But Christianity, posing itself as warm and fluffy is much more insidious as the recent Duggar revelations show. I'm beginning to wonder if they're actually watching how Islam works and beginning to adopt Islamic practices in order to gain the kind of power Islam wields.

No one dares mock Mohammed, the Qur'an, or Islam itself (except online heh,) for fear of violent reprisals. But that kind of fear doesn't extend to Christianity. And I think they've noticed, and envy Islam for the fear it generates and would like to become more like them.

I expect to see Christian extremists become increasingly violent and overt in the next few years much as Islam is now.

I agree that Islam is dangerous. But true Christianity has never been a threat to anyone. If people were to apply true Christianity to their lives, the world would be a peaceful place. Problem is that you have imperfect people. Many religions teach true principles and are not to blame for the actions of all their (so called) followers. How many of the religions in the world teach violence toward their fellow human beings? This same problem exists among all peoples whether they are religious, atheist, or agnostic.

Forum List

Back