Remember when Israel helped Islamic Iran attack secular Iraq in the 1980s

Andrew_Jackson_FTW

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 12, 2022
That happened in the 1980s. At the time, Iran and Iraq were fighting a vicious war. People should recall that the Arab Persian rivalry was much more violent and is much more divisive even today compared to any thing like a Jewish Arab rivalry.

But yes, Israel helped Iran bomb an Iraqi nuclear facility in the 1980s. They also gave Iran weapons and resources to fight Iraq. Both Iran and Israel will give their reasonings for this occurring, but it calls into question the sincerity of their leaders.

It’s also worth noting that prior to the so-called Islamic revolution in Iran, the Iranian monarchy and Israel were allies. And I don’t think that the so-called Islamic revolution in Iran was even popular many people question how did that even occur in the first place. Because the time of the Iranian monarchy Iran had the fifth strongest military in the world…. at the time Iran was receiving weapons and military jets from America… military jets that they used to this very day from the 1970s. Under the Shah, Iran was a secular oriented country with a vibrant culture.

Point can be Yes time changes with that alliances often change, but it’s important that people recall the past.

Last edited:
On September 22, 1980 Saddam launched Iraq into full-scale invasion of southwestern Iran, hoping to capitalize on the chaos prevailing in the newly-formed Islamic Republic. The resulting war would drag on for eight exceptionally bloody years.

It was in this context that the Iranian Air Force began planning a strike on Osirak earlier that June—reportedly at the request of the Israeli Chief of Army Intelligence. Israel was one of the few countries willing to furnish Iran with weapons and intelligence to fight the Iraqis, and so the raid was seen as a mutually-beneficial favor.

When you have five or six enemies, you chose the lesser of two evils.

At that time, The Butcher of Baghdad was the leading evil. I'm pretty sure that Israel was making the calculation that if we help take out the worst, then that is just one of the few enemies to deal with in the coming decades.

They were right.

I would arm Jordan to take out Syria. Saudi to take out Iran. Then I'd take out Jordan and make peace with Saudi.

Forum List

Back