Remember when Obama accused the GOP of wanting to let Detriot go bankrupt?

This is all your fault. You didn't protect Detroit from decades of corruption and its own bad decisions!

Well the Dems have run Detroit since Christ was a corporal.

Any wonder they are bankrupt??

So you're saying Mittens got his way hmmmm?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmlfXOlYm8g]Mitt Romney: "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" - YouTube[/ame]

I realize that that was what he said, but let's be honest... When he said that he was referring to the auto industry, not the city itself.

Last edited:
I realize that that was what he said, but let's be honest... When said that he was referring to the auto industry, not the city itself.

actually for the auto industry it would have been much healthier to go bankrupt - they would be able to get rid of their shackles and have a clean start...

I realize that that was what he said, but let's be honest... When said that he was referring to the auto industry, not the city itself.

actually for the auto industry it would have been much healthier to go bankrupt - they would be able to get rid of their shackles and have a clean start...

I agree. I was opposed to the bailout from day one.

Even after the millions of tax dollars they received they did file for bankrupcy.

Our tax dollars were used to bail out the mishandled Union Pension funds.

Gotta love it. We taxpayers were forced to bail out the fucking union.

I do and the irony is classic.

You do realize that the emergency city manager was appointed by the state's Republican Governor and is the one who is supporting this bankruptcy, right? I'm not sure if there are actually any options, but we need to be clear that this is being orchestrated by Republicans who have taken control of the city over the duly elected mayor and city counsel.

The funny thing about Detroit's situation is that it isn't nearly as bad as everyone thinks. At the same time, fixing it isn't easy either, but only because elected officials have not had the balls to do what is necessary, which involves shutting down entire parts of the city and forcing people to move. In areas where only one home out of every four or five is occupied, those areas need to be vacated so that they can be sold off to developers who can do something positive. Give away free land to developers and watch what happens.

Mitt Romney: "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" - YouTube

Still spreading the Obama/DNC lies eh?

Let Detroit Go Bankrupt

By MITT ROMNEY

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html?_r=0

Whether he was right or wrong doesn't matter because the election is over and the best man(in the eyes of the majority of American voters) won.

But the ironic point of my post is that neither men were actually talking about the City of Detroit but the auto industry.

Reality is, if either one had been president, Detroit would have gone bankrupt. The reality is:

1070016_619996021366990_834419552_n.jpg

and he was right and no amount of wishful thinking or unicorns can save Detroit. a judge today spurned the bankruptcy filing.

uly 19, 2013 at 4:37 pm
Ingham County judge rules Detroit bankruptcy be withdrawn; Schuette appeals

From The Detroit News: Ingham County judge rules Detroit bankruptcy be withdrawn; Schuette appeals | The Detroit News

Detroit has already bumped against its statutory limit for taxing its 'citizens'.....anyone know what the millage rates are for Detroit and its environs? Try 65.0 thats 65 POINT zero for residential an 85.0 for businesses.

example- taking into account, city state and Wayne county property taxes, is $3500.00 on a 50K property or 16K on a 250k piece of property....let that sink in for a moment.....

this ramp up started 30 year ago and has traveled the only road it could; to a tax base that exhausted ( and pushed anybody able to, to leave) , coffers empty, legacy costs that simply cannot be serviced, a day to day financial burden that they can only pay by borrowing.

its over.

and he was right and no amount of wishful thinking or unicorns can save Detroit. a judge today spurned the bankruptcy filing.

uly 19, 2013 at 4:37 pm
Ingham County judge rules Detroit bankruptcy be withdrawn; Schuette appeals

From The Detroit News: Ingham County judge rules Detroit bankruptcy be withdrawn; Schuette appeals | The Detroit News

Detroit has already bumped against its statutory limit for taxing its 'citizens'.....anyone know what the millage rates are for Detroit and its environs? Try 65.0 thats 65 POINT zero for residential an 85.0 for businesses.

example- taking into account, city state and Wayne county property taxes, is $3500.00 on a 50K property or 16K on a 250k piece of property....let that sink in for a moment.....

this ramp up started 30 year ago and has traveled the only road it could; to a tax base that exhausted ( and pushed anybody able to, to leave) , coffers empty, legacy costs that simply cannot be serviced, a day to day financial burden that they can only pay by borrowing.

its over.

Here's the tax rate chart

http://www.degc.org/images/gallery/TAXES 2012.pdf

Again, not the city, the auto industry.

Of course. See Post #12

O said Detroit, Mitt said Detroit, both were talking about the Auto Bail-Out of 2008-2009, not the City.

Because saving a single business (union thugs) makes much more sense than helping the city recover so as to not have to rip off its citizens just to stay afloat

Forum List

Back