Renaming streets, removing statues.

HereinVirginia

Jun 6, 2020
The thread is not about whether it’s right or wrong, it’s about hypocrites.

Elected members of our federal government walk the halls and enter buildings named after devout racists, old school democrats.

Why aren’t removing these names while pandering in African garb?

Why are these names not yet changed?

Elected members of our federal government walk the halls and enter buildings named after devout racists, old school democrats.

Well I'll bite, I'm just curious. I'm not happy that Jeff Davis' statue represents my state. I'm sure Judge George was a segregationist, but he died in 1897, and I don't recall reading that he was particularly vicious

Anyone remember the democrat KKK member Robert Byrd?
The democrats had better not try to throw stones.
Their list of past leaders is full of racists.
What the democrats don't understand is that Trump has done more for blacks in 3-yeas than democrats ever have.

What the democrats don't understand is that Trump has done more for blacks in 3-yeas than democrats ever have.
Byrd recanted his past and worked towards justice during his life. I'd welcome any racist who would do the same.

Byrd recanted his past and worked towards justice during his life. I'd welcome any racist who would do the same.
OK, so who is on this committee that decides whose statue is banished, and whose is revered?
The Founding Fathers started the USA, but some woke democrats still bash them as "slave owners". Are they ok?
The Civil War had heroes on both sides, with atrocities by both sides, are all civil war statues to be buried?
The new history books should be reviewed for accuracy instead of "fake (woke) history"

OK, so who is on this committee that decides whose statue is banished, and whose is revered?
The Founding Fathers started the USA, but some woke democrats still bash them as "slave owners". Are they ok?
The Civil War had heroes on both sides, with atrocities by both sides, are all civil war statues to be buried?
The new history books should be reviewed for accuracy instead of "fake (woke) history"
Accuracy is important, and text books should be reviewed for accuracy so we don't pretend that slave ownership was benevolent or that slavery was a side issue to the Civil War.

I don't know who is on this "committee" but if you're ignoring that Byrd strove to redeem himself, you're being intellectually dishonest.

You still can't put his statue up.

When will you demolish the Jefferson Memorial ?

When will you demolish the Lincoln Memorial ? You think LIncoln wanted to free slaves....? You morons need to learn something.

Well I'll bite, I'm just curious. I'm not happy that Jeff Davis' statue represents my state. I'm sure Judge George was a segregationist, but he died in 1897, and I don't recall reading that he was particularly vicious

Statues are mean for what ?

Statues of people don't mean shit to me.

Memorials like the Vietnam memorial.....I thinks those are important.

Wonder if that one comes down......after all, the war was full of racism.

Statues are mean for what ?

Statues of people don't mean shit to me.

Memorials like the Vietnam memorial.....I thinks those are important.

Wonder if that one comes down......after all, the war was full of racism.

ART

Not to worry!

In a few months, after President-elect Biden takes the oath of office and kneels on the Capitol steps, there will be a total renaming of a lot of things. I'm guessing that BLM has generously given him three months to accomplish this.

Already there are steps being taken to rename federal military bases.

I imagine that BLM will send President Biden a list of possible new names for "Washington, D.C." And, of course, the word "America" must be deleted from the nation's name.

Which names are you referring to?

If there are names of people who waged war against the United States for the right to own people as slaves, I certainly would want those names removed.

If you're referring to people who owned slaves but didn't wage war against the United States, I say that's a very gray area.

Those people aren't traitors to the United States. In the case of some of them, they fought a war to create the United States. They aren't traitors to our nation. They are traitors to England since at the time of the revolutionary war, this wasn't the United States. This was a colony of England. I have no problem with waging war against England to create the United States.

I can't change the fact that they owned slaves.

Some people may want those names removed because they owned slaves and they have that right.

I want the names of those who attacked America and waged war against our nation removed because they are traitors to the United States and I don't believe anyone who wages war against our nation causing over 600 thousand Americans to die including a president, should have their names or their statues anywhere but in a museum or history book.

Can you tell me why you want names and statues or monuments of traitors to our nation anywhere but in a museum or history book?

And tell me why you don't believe people who waged war against our nation are traitors.

You still can't put his statue up.

When will you demolish the Jefferson Memorial ?

When will you demolish the Lincoln Memorial ? You think LIncoln wanted to free slaves....? You morons need to learn something.
As always, it's complicated.

These statues were erected largely by the Daughters of the Confederacy early in the 20th century to glorify the fiction of the lost cause …. and to enshrine Jim Crowe. Conversely, there are monuments in all civil war battlefields for participants on both sides.

The Jefferson Memorial ironically sort of sits off by itself. But it wasn't ever an excuse for slavery, or it didn't seem to me. Personally, to me, anyone actively participating in secession for slaves, just can't be rehabilitated, beyond being unbelievably brave in battle. But FDR turned a blind eye to Jim Crow, but it was his age. He turned a blind eye to the holocaust and communism too.

Some like George Wallace lived long enough to be able to repudiate their own actions. Robert Byrd and Hugo Black. But imo you sorta have to judge people in the age they lived. Grant used a slave of his father in law's. But they worked together.

Which names are you referring to?

If there are names of people who waged war against the United States for the right to own people as slaves, I certainly would want those names removed.

If you're referring to people who owned slaves but didn't wage war against the United States, I say that's a very gray area.

Those people aren't traitors to the United States. In the case of some of them, they fought a war to create the United States. They aren't traitors to our nation. They are traitors to England since at the time of the revolutionary war, this wasn't the United States. This was a colony of England. I have no problem with waging war against England to create the United States.

I can't change the fact that they owned slaves.

Some people may want those names removed because they owned slaves and they have that right.

I want the names of those who attacked America and waged war against our nation removed because they are traitors to the United States and I don't believe anyone who wages war against our nation causing over 600 thousand Americans to die including a president, should have their names or their statues anywhere but in a museum or history book.

Can you tell me why you want names and statues or monuments of traitors to our nation anywhere but in a museum or history book?

And tell me why you don't believe people who waged war against our nation are traitors.

They weren't all executed after the war, they were rehabilitated, some partially, some totally.

The idea was to reforge the nation, and part of that was to allow the losing side to remember the conflict as they saw fit, and remember those who fought in the conflict as they saw fit.

And now all of a sudden, cowards like you want to break that resolution for petty political reasons.

Forum List

Back