Renaming streets, removing statues.

These statues were erected largely by the Daughters of the Confederacy early in the 20th century to glorify the fiction of the lost cause …. and to enshrine Jim Crowe. Conversely, there are monuments in all civil war battlefields for participants on both sides.

The Jefferson Memorial ironically sort of sits off by itself. But it wasn't ever an excuse for slavery, or it didn't seem to me. Personally, to me, anyone actively participating in secession for slaves, just can't be rehabilitated, beyond being unbelievably brave in battle. But FDR turned a blind eye to Jim Crow, but it was his age. He turned a blind eye to the holocaust and communism too.

Some like George Wallace lived long enough to be able to repudiate their own actions. Robert Byrd and Hugo Black. But imo you sorta have to judge people in the age they lived. Grant used a slave of his father in law's. But they worked together.

That time period also was when most of the leaders during the period were dying off, and the younger participants were approaching old age.

How about the murderous hatians.
Anyone remember the democrat KKK member Robert Byrd?
The democrats had better not try to throw stones.
Their list of past leaders is full of racists.
What the democrats don't understand is that Trump has done more for blacks in 3-yeas than democrats ever have.
Byrd recanted his past and worked towards justice during his life. I'd welcome any racist who would do the same.

You still can't put his statue up.

When will you demolish the Jefferson Memorial ?

When will you demolish the Lincoln Memorial ? You think LIncoln wanted to free slaves....? You morons need to learn something.
As always, it's complicated.

Bull fucking shit.

You pricks are all about what you can get.....and you don't think twice (if you even thought once) about what you were doing.

What the democrats don't understand is that Trump has done more for blacks in 3-yeas than democrats ever have.
Byrd recanted his past and worked towards justice during his life. I'd welcome any racist who would do the same.

When will you demolish the Lincoln Memorial ? You think LIncoln wanted to free slaves....? You morons need to learn something.

Bull fucking shit.

You pricks are all about what you can get.....and you don't think twice (if you even thought once) about what you were doing.
I have no idea what your gibberish is referring to.

Bull fucking shit.

I think the first four words of your statement pretty much sums up the situation.

Bull fucking shit.

I think the first four words of your statement pretty much sums up the situation.
Your wailing and moaning doesn’t make sense to people living outside your twisted little bubble.

Would you really? Would the media? Would those looking to destroy anyone they can for political gain in today's climate? Seems a bit disingenuous.

The thread is not about whether it’s right or wrong, it’s about hypocrites.

Elected members of our federal government walk the halls and enter buildings named after devout racists, old school democrats.

Why aren’t removing these names while pandering in African garb?

Why are these names not yet changed?

Which names are you referring to?

If there are names of people who waged war against the United States for the right to own people as slaves, I certainly would want those names removed.

If you're referring to people who owned slaves but didn't wage war against the United States, I say that's a very gray area.

Those people aren't traitors to the United States. In the case of some of them, they fought a war to create the United States. They aren't traitors to our nation. They are traitors to England since at the time of the revolutionary war, this wasn't the United States. This was a colony of England. I have no problem with waging war against England to create the United States.

I can't change the fact that they owned slaves.

Some people may want those names removed because they owned slaves and they have that right.

I want the names of those who attacked America and waged war against our nation removed because they are traitors to the United States and I don't believe anyone who wages war against our nation causing over 600 thousand Americans to die including a president, should have their names or their statues anywhere but in a museum or history book.

Can you tell me why you want names and statues or monuments of traitors to our nation anywhere but in a museum or history book?

And tell me why you don't believe people who waged war against our nation are traitors.
What? I never said I wanted them gone or kept I don’t care. I’m simply pointing out hypocrisy by not doing it everywhere.

Elected members of our federal government walk the halls and enter buildings named after devout racists, old school democrats.

If there are names of people who waged war against the United States for the right to own people as slaves, I certainly would want those names removed.

If you're referring to people who owned slaves but didn't wage war against the United States, I say that's a very gray area.

Those people aren't traitors to the United States. In the case of some of them, they fought a war to create the United States. They aren't traitors to our nation. They are traitors to England since at the time of the revolutionary war, this wasn't the United States. This was a colony of England. I have no problem with waging war against England to create the United States.

Some people may want those names removed because they owned slaves and they have that right.

I want the names of those who attacked America and waged war against our nation removed because they are traitors to the United States and I don't believe anyone who wages war against our nation causing over 600 thousand Americans to die including a president, should have their names or their statues anywhere but in a museum or history book.

Can you tell me why you want names and statues or monuments of traitors to our nation anywhere but in a museum or history book?

And tell me why you don't believe people who waged war against our nation are traitors.

They weren't all executed after the war, they were rehabilitated, some partially, some totally.

The idea was to reforge the nation, and part of that was to allow the losing side to remember the conflict as they saw fit, and remember those who fought in the conflict as they saw fit.

And now all of a sudden, cowards like you want to break that resolution for petty political reasons.
Me? Jeez, y’all missed my point.

Bull fucking shit.

Your wailing and moaning doesn’t make sense to people living outside your twisted little bubble.

And you blithering out your ass (which is where your head is stuck) is expected.

OK, so who is on this committee that decides whose statue is banished, and whose is revered?
The Founding Fathers started the USA, but some woke democrats still bash them as "slave owners". Are they ok?
The Civil War had heroes on both sides, with atrocities by both sides, are all civil war statues to be buried?
The new history books should be reviewed for accuracy instead of "fake (woke) history"

I got news for you bud

But "woke" history is generally the better history

There is a reason you get "woke" history in AP and get the whatever slop they told you in the non college bound classes.

History while a strong suit for conservatives relative to their lack of* dominance in other areas of academia....Next to liberals I think we've got a bit of a better grasp generally.

I love it when the "conservative" Republicans of today point fingers at racist Dems from the past and claim
that today's Dems "don't have room to talk".

Every one of those racist Dems from the past would be welcome in today's GOP and would be denied quarter
by today's Dems.

You bozo's think you can make anyone believe that you don't accept racists in your party?

Please.

They weren't all executed after the war, they were rehabilitated, some partially, some totally.

The idea was to reforge the nation, and part of that was to allow the losing side to remember the conflict as they saw fit, and remember those who fought in the conflict as they saw fit.

And now all of a sudden, cowards like you want to break that resolution for petty political reasons.

wasn't responding to you, was responding to Dana.

wasn't responding to you, was responding to Dana.
Oh. It’s hard to follow thanks for clarifying.

Renaming things is one of the leftists favorite tactics.
Illegal alien becomes undocumented immigrant and suddenly no laws were broken and they're citizens.
It works great on those who are easily manipulated and those who lie to themselves.

What? I never said I wanted them gone or kept I don’t care. I’m simply pointing out hypocrisy by not doing it everywhere.

It should be done everywhere.

Yes it's hypocritical to remove statues and memorials of traitors in one area and not the other. Why aren't you insisting those names be removed? All you're doing is whining about it and using it as an excuse to not remove statues or names from anywhere else. Which is pretty childish as far as I can see.

That doesn't make removing them wrong. They can be removed even if it's not removed other places. Change has to start somewhere. I see it as the beginning of America waking up to right some very bad wrongs. You are just scared of that change and will fight it with everything you have to prevent it.

Cry hypocrite, I'll do it with you. However I won't use it as an excuse to condemn or stop removing those statues or names or monuments of traitors to our nation.

Which is what I believe is your motivation. You want the removal stopped and are using that excuse to justify it.

That is not going to work this time.

I answered the questions in your OP. My answer included some questions to you. Yet you didn't answer my questions. Why?

I mean if you're going to demand people answer your questions you better be prepared to answer other people's questions. Or you're just a hypocrite if you don't.

Hummmm, a person calling others hypocrites while being a hypocrite themself.

Typical.

Forum List

Back