Renewable energy may not be best choice for deep cold weather.

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
Renewable green new deal energy sources, may not generate enough energy to support power grid demand during deep cold sub zero periods. Fossil fuels may still be needed during the winter months,experts say

If backup is your concern the it's not the source that should be on your mind.
It's the storage.

If you maintain a generator (and they DO require maintenance) then storing energy in the form of fuel....fossil fuel....oil or maybe propane.

If you don't want to store fuel for safety reasons (or local laws) then you can substitute batteries. BIG batteries. Second home size building on your lot. If you're wealthy enough charge them with solar or wind, again maintaining them. With enough batteries you won't worry about whether the blades have flown off or the panels frozen over (or covered in volcanic ash)...at least for a few days.

But if you're willing to gamble on commercial power being down for more than a few days then double the size of your battery bank and charge it off the grid on those (increasingly rare?) days when it's working.

Or take the really eco-friendly approach: Get a bunch of cats and when you want electricity rub 'em together.

Go nuclear, and add wind/solar where they are actually practical.

My lesson from Texas, is that I will buy several Solar Panels and batteries to power the basics when we lose power. I have a kerosene heater if I'm without heat, and I have a rocket stove to cook outside, even in the snow, if I need to cook.

We should all be prepared to live off grid, at least for a week, if things turn bad

Renewable green new deal energy sources, may not generate enough energy to support power grid demand during deep cold sub zero periods. Fossil fuels may still be needed during the winter months,experts say
Last time I checked, Vermont is in the north. And they rely heavily on renewable energies.

Go nuclear, and add wind/solar where they are actually practical.

My lesson from Texas, is that I will buy several Solar Panels and batteries to power the basics when we lose power. I have a kerosene heater if I'm without heat, and I have a rocket stove to cook outside, even in the snow, if I need to cook.

We should all be prepared to live off grid, at least for a week, if things turn bad
I agree

And after being here in TX this week (we have our own grid seperate from the rest of the US) - It should be a regulated thing so the grid requires companies to hold atleast 1 day of electricity, if needed.

Having homes just go dark Sunday night without warning and not turn back on until Friday this week should never happen again. We need some kind of Announcement "BACKUP POWER WILL BE UP TODAY FROM 3PM TO 5PM" so that people can shower, or do a load of laundry, or anything.

It should not be this way in America where we are powerless during some snow.

And after being here in TX this week (we have our own grid seperate from the rest of the US) - It should be a regulated thing so the grid requires companies to hold atleast 1 day of electricity, if needed.

Having homes just go dark Sunday night without warning and not turn back on until Friday this week should never happen again. We need some kind of Announcement "BACKUP POWER WILL BE UP TODAY FROM 3PM TO 5PM" so that people can shower, or do a load of laundry, or anything.

Do you just get power restored today?

I heard today of several elderly who died of hypothermia. This storm really was catastrophic, and it wasn't just Texas. We got the storm, but it was snow and cold. We start a warming trend (for Michigan) Sunday

I remember when Joe Biden was in charge of 960 billion dollars for infrastructure shovel ready jobs.

"Shovel-Ready Was Not as Shovel-Ready as We Expected": The Obama Stimulus Record - YouTube

Do you just get power restored today?

I heard today of several elderly who died of hypothermia. This storm really was catastrophic, and it wasn't just Texas. We got the storm, but it was snow and cold. We start a warming trend (for Michigan) Sunday
Yes I did TY for asking ;)

The planners tried to save $$$ instead of using equipment that can handle bad weather. This is the result. The people got screwed again. Perhaps it's time to replace all that equipment now.

We have a mixture we use here. Mostly, it's hydro power. But we do have a few NG plants and have a few solar and wind farms. We don't have the problems Texas has had. It gets colder here,more snow, more ice,high winds, etc.. But we spent the money to winterize our solar and wind farms. You see,it's a state law. Meanwhile,Texas decided that it was unnecessary to spend that extra money and lo and behold. Funny, NM got hit with the same weather and their Wind and Solar Farms just kept cooking along.

At this time, I agree that solar and wind do not have the capacity to handle the power grid by themselves. This is why they are augmented not primary in NM and Colorado. But when you get over 20% of your power from them it sure does help out. But you have to take into considering that Mother Nature is a bitch. And when there is a break down, don't go blaming others for your stupidity. Your lack of planning does not mean that I should panic.

A power plant I worked electrical maint. at was built for a 50 yr. freeze. There were two 50 yr. freezes the first ten years I worked there. We couldn't keep the units on either time. There were some major refits. I am sure that will happen at some of those Texas power plants.

A power plant I worked electrical maint. at was built for a 50 yr. freeze. There were two 50 yr. freezes the first ten years I worked there. We couldn't keep the units on either time. There were some major refits. I am sure that will happen at some of those Texas power plants.

What they did was to deregulate where the Plants didn't have to consider this happening. Afterall, it just can't happen, right? Had Texas been part of either the east or west grid, they would have had to comply with Federal Regs. By going it alone, they didn't. They never learned the old saying, "Prepare for the Worst but expect the Best". Well, the Best doesn't always happen. But, as usual, they are blaming everything from the Dems, AOC, Antifa and more. They blame everyone except the ones that didn't prepare for the worst.

Forum List

Back