Renewable Energy Will Be Consistently Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels By 2020

We changed to the LED 10 years ago. We are in the start of changing to renewables more and more each and every day. LIke the town of Montrose and the town in Texas. It just takes a start somewhere and it spreads. You can ding California for their new Building Codes but over the long haul, it will cost less to heat, cool and light the homes and businesses in that entire state. Look for other states to follow suit. It doesn't cost a dime more to build that way than it does to build the old way so why not just do it.

The problem is State-wide codes that work well in San Diego and LA will be worthless in places further north. So mandated solar panels will be worth far less in places that are cloud covered far more than Southern California.

And it doesn't cost more??? Solar panels are free????

The electrical components needed to integrate with the grid are free?

Solar Panels really don't cost that much more than decent roofing tiles. And you start getting your money back almost immediately through buy backs. The extra cost ends up being less in the first year and it just goes down year after year.

The Electric Company HAS to make the transition. It's on them. And their meters just run backwards. One of the nasty things is, they charge a minimum amount even when you either take out the same as you put back in or you put back in MORE than you take out. This needs to be looked at.

That's only because they are subsidized. And you also have to change the roofing structure to account for the additional weight. Even more so because of the snow load requirements found in Northern and Eastern California.

not true, all roof structures are just fine as long as built to code

You do realize a roof built to say a florida code wouldn't last a single winter in say Maine, right?

what kind of moron would build a roof to florida standards in maine???

a complete moron

whats worse is a moron using that as a comparison or ...exactly why are you comparing them???put down the hammer and step away from the nail....please

The problem is State-wide codes that work well in San Diego and LA will be worthless in places further north. So mandated solar panels will be worth far less in places that are cloud covered far more than Southern California.

And it doesn't cost more??? Solar panels are free????

The electrical components needed to integrate with the grid are free?

Solar Panels really don't cost that much more than decent roofing tiles. And you start getting your money back almost immediately through buy backs. The extra cost ends up being less in the first year and it just goes down year after year.

The Electric Company HAS to make the transition. It's on them. And their meters just run backwards. One of the nasty things is, they charge a minimum amount even when you either take out the same as you put back in or you put back in MORE than you take out. This needs to be looked at.

That's only because they are subsidized. And you also have to change the roofing structure to account for the additional weight. Even more so because of the snow load requirements found in Northern and Eastern California.

You do realize a roof built to say a florida code wouldn't last a single winter in say Maine, right?

a complete moron

whats worse is a moron using that as a comparison or ...exactly why are you comparing them???put down the hammer and step away from the nail....please

What I am trying to allude to is a State like California mandating a code requirement like solar panels for a State so large as to have multiple climate types.

Again, it may be a good idea in San Diego, but north of San fran they have a far more cloudy/overcast climate.

But progressives like one size fits all solutions to "problems" and who the fuck cares if it adds $20k to the cost of a new home.

a complete moron

What I am trying to allude to is a State like California mandating a code requirement like solar panels for a State so large as to have multiple climate types.

Again, it may be a good idea in San Diego, but north of San fran they have a far more cloudy/overcast climate.

But progressives like one size fits all solutions to "problems" and who the fuck cares if it adds $20k to the cost of a new home.

as far as structure thats already been calculated in and houses in the north are just fine,,
but I agree in state wide in cali might be over reach where as state wide in new mexico,arizona or texas would only make sense

youd be a moron to live in say phoenix and not have them

but structure is the last concern since the add up to less than 5lbs per sq ft

a complete moron

as far as structure thats already been calculated in and houses in the north are just fine,,
but I agree in state wide in cali might be over reach where as state wide in new mexico,arizona or texas would only make sense

You also have to take into account the additional penetrations needed for the electrical connections, and as these locations up north see more precipitation than south it adds to the complexity of the roof above and beyond the loading.

My point is with the reduced efficiencies found in more northern latitudes, is mandating it state-wide just virtue signaling?

Just one question (or maybe three) for the "renewable energy" crowd

1. what will generate the energy to recharge the batteries when all cars are electric? Unless you plan to blanket the entire country with solar panels and windmills, there is no way to get it done.

2. what fuel will be used to generate the heat needed to create solar panels? it takes a lot of heat to melt the silicon necessary to make the panels.

3. what renewable fuel will be used in the thousands of planes and trucks and ships that bring us the things we need to live?

I would sincerely like to see a world that did not use fossil fuels, but its going to be a long time before technology gets anywhere near that. Why not focus today on finding more efficient and less polluting ways to use fossils fuels and let the private sector (profit motive) find alternatives?

a complete moron

how long do they last? from what I see 10-15 years max, then you have to spend the initial amount again to replace them, and find a place to dispose of the old ones.

a complete moron

how long do they last? from what I see 10-15 years max, then you have to spend the initial amount again to replace them, and find a place to dispose of the old ones.

as I said upthread,,,cell phones were crap 30 yrs ago but only got better,,,as have most new tech
solar will and has been doing the same thing, just in the last 5 yrs they have dbl in all aspects
given enough time they might just power a house with a panel the size of a license plate

a complete moron

and no you dont have the full cost for replacement, just the cost of panels,,all the wiring and mounts remain intact

1. what will generate the energy to recharge the batteries when all cars are electric? Unless you plan to blanket the entire country with solar panels and windmills, there is no way to get it done.

2. what fuel will be used to generate the heat needed to create solar panels? it takes a lot of heat to melt the silicon necessary to make the panels.

3. what renewable fuel will be used in the thousands of planes and trucks and ships that bring us the things we need to live?

I would sincerely like to see a world that did not use fossil fuels, but its going to be a long time before technology gets anywhere near that. Why not focus today on finding more efficient and less polluting ways to use fossils fuels and let the private sector (profit motive) find alternatives?
I see your question and raise you one

what will fuel the world when fossils run out or just to expensive to get??

we already have to create micro earthquakes to get oil

a complete moron

as I said upthread,,,cell phones were crap 30 yrs ago but only got better,,,as have most new tech
solar will and has been doing the same thing, just in the last 5 yrs they have dbl in all aspects
given enough time they might just power a house with a panel the size of a license plate

yeah, they might, but it wont work at night or on a cloudy day. huge batteries will always be needed and they are expensive, toxic, and dangerous to dispose of.

the world of the Jetsons is a fantasy.

a complete moron

and no you dont have the full cost for replacement, just the cost of panels,,all the wiring and mounts remain intact

ok that's correct, just the panels.

a complete moron

yeah, they might, but it wont work at night or on a cloudy day. huge batteries will always be needed and they are expensive, toxic, and dangerous to dispose of.

so sayeth the prophet

I see your question and raise you one

what will fuel the world when fossils run out or just to expensive to get??

we already have to create micro earthquakes to get oil

geez, fracking is not "create micro earthquakes" . It is a safe process that releases oil from deep below the surface, there is no impact at the surface, to the water table or anything else. stop listening to fake news.

Eventually the world will need to find other sources of energy, I think everyone understands that since fossil fuels are somewhat limited, however, the experts in the 70s said that all of the earth's oil would be gone by 2000, seems like they were wrong.

Nuclear works great, wind and solar not so great on a cost/benefit ratio, Hydro works great but you need rivers and mountains.

the free market and the profit motive brought us cell phones, flat screen TVs, the internet, and life saving medicines. That same market will solve the energy issue if the government stays out of it.

so sayeth the prophet

do solar panels work at night or during a thunder storm? you don't have to be a prophet to know the answer.

so sayeth the prophet

do solar panels work at night or during a thunder storm? you don't have to be a prophet to know the answer.
DUH!!!

so hows life in your cave mr neanderthal???

dont be such a stick in the mud and give it some time, like I said its advanced leaps and bounds just in the last 5 yrs, what can be done with another 5-10 yrs???

and what will you do when the fossils run out???

it means end of states gas-stations : KSA, "Russia", all Gulf states , etc. how our world without states gas-stations will be look like?
1458982466856.jpg

Renewable Energy Will Be Consistently Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels By 2020,
The organisation – which has more than 150 member countries – says the cost of generating power from onshore wind has fallen by around 23% since 2010 while the cost of solar photovoltaic (PV) electricity has fallen by 73% in that time. With further price falls expected for these and other green energy options, IRENA says all renewable energy technologies should be competitive on price with fossil fuels by 2020.Globally, onshore wind schemes are now costing an average of $0.06 per kilowatt hour (kWh), although some schemes are coming in at $0.04 per KwH, while the cost of solar PV is down to $0.10 per KwH. In comparison, the cost of electricity generation based on fossil fuels typically falls in a range of $0.05 to $0.17 per KwH.
Renewable Energy Will Be Consistently Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels By 2020, Report Claims
Your link:

"Globally, onshore wind schemes are now costing an average of $0.06 per kilowatt hour (kWh), although some schemes are coming in at $0.04 per KwH, while the cost of solar PV is down to $0.10 per KwH. In comparison, the cost of electricity generation based on fossil fuels typically falls in a range of $0.05 to $0.17 per KwH."

There are a few public utility customers whose solar panels not only provide "free" electricity but they actually sell some of their surplus energy back to their local utility.
41317163_401.png

Can we live in a world without fossil fuels? | DW | 09.11.2017

Wow, a graph projecting out to 2045 assuming what?

They see the complete end to the coal and oil and nuclear industries?
Apparently, ending the contributions of all non-renewable energy sources to global GDP is the end game, but I'm unsure how long that is supposed to take?

"Global energy production - especially coal - contributes to 20 percent of all carbon emissions. If the electricity system were to only be powered by renewables, emissions could drop by 60 percent by 2025.

"By 2030, they could drop by 80 percent.
39462046_401.png

"'Such a scenario is indeed realistic, since renewable energy sources are becoming cheaper and cheaper,' said climate economist Claudia Kemfert of the German Institute for Economic Research in Berlin (DIW) when the study was released.

"Utopia or realistic scenario?

"'We've seen in the past that all studies did underestimate the development of renewable energy. That's why it's going so much quicker than anticipated and we are looking ahead to the next three decades, where we can meet the target of 100 percent renewables in our energy mix,' she added.

"Energy Watch Group head Hans-Josef Fell agrees with that assessment and says the finance sector also plays a huge role in accelerating this dynamic. 'Financial institutions now regard investments in coal, nuclear, oil and gas as risky and terminate their commitments,' he said."

so sayeth the prophet

DUH!!!

dont be such a stick in the mud and give it some time, like I said its advanced leaps and bounds just in the last 5 yrs, what can be done with another 5-10 yrs???

did you even bother to read my posts? I would love to see renewables replace fossil fuels. I just think we need to keep our expectations reasonable and not overreact to some bullshit about CO2 destroying the planet.

Yes, fossil fuels will eventually run out, not in either of our lifetimes however. You ask what I will do when they run out, hopefully look down from above and see how mankind solved the problem.

so sayeth the prophet

DUH!!!

did you even bother to read my posts? I would love to see renewables replace fossil fuels. I just think we need to keep our expectations reasonable and not overreact to some bullshit about CO2 destroying the planet.

Yes, fossil fuels will eventually run out, not in either of our lifetimes however. You ask what I will do when they run out, hopefully look down from above and see how mankind solved the problem.

I never brought up CO2 because its a dead topic unless you like to play make believe,

expectations be damned, I'm talking about known current and developing tech

it means end of states gas-stations : KSA, "Russia", all Gulf states , etc. how our world without states gas-stations will be look like?
1458982466856.jpg

Renewable Energy Will Be Consistently Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels By 2020,
The organisation – which has more than 150 member countries – says the cost of generating power from onshore wind has fallen by around 23% since 2010 while the cost of solar photovoltaic (PV) electricity has fallen by 73% in that time. With further price falls expected for these and other green energy options, IRENA says all renewable energy technologies should be competitive on price with fossil fuels by 2020.Globally, onshore wind schemes are now costing an average of $0.06 per kilowatt hour (kWh), although some schemes are coming in at $0.04 per KwH, while the cost of solar PV is down to $0.10 per KwH. In comparison, the cost of electricity generation based on fossil fuels typically falls in a range of $0.05 to $0.17 per KwH.
Renewable Energy Will Be Consistently Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels By 2020, Report Claims
Your link:

"Globally, onshore wind schemes are now costing an average of $0.06 per kilowatt hour (kWh), although some schemes are coming in at $0.04 per KwH, while the cost of solar PV is down to $0.10 per KwH. In comparison, the cost of electricity generation based on fossil fuels typically falls in a range of $0.05 to $0.17 per KwH."

There are a few public utility customers whose solar panels not only provide "free" electricity but they actually sell some of their surplus energy back to their local utility.
41317163_401.png

Wow, a graph projecting out to 2045 assuming what?

They see the complete end to the coal and oil and nuclear industries?
Apparently, ending the contributions of all non-renewable energy sources to global GDP is the end game, but I'm unsure how long that is supposed to take?

"Global energy production - especially coal - contributes to 20 percent of all carbon emissions. If the electricity system were to only be powered by renewables, emissions could drop by 60 percent by 2025.

"By 2030, they could drop by 80 percent.
39462046_401.png

"'Such a scenario is indeed realistic, since renewable energy sources are becoming cheaper and cheaper,' said climate economist Claudia Kemfert of the German Institute for Economic Research in Berlin (DIW) when the study was released.

"Utopia or realistic scenario?

"'We've seen in the past that all studies did underestimate the development of renewable energy. That's why it's going so much quicker than anticipated and we are looking ahead to the next three decades, where we can meet the target of 100 percent renewables in our energy mix,' she added.

"Energy Watch Group head Hans-Josef Fell agrees with that assessment and says the finance sector also plays a huge role in accelerating this dynamic. 'Financial institutions now regard investments in coal, nuclear, oil and gas as risky and terminate their commitments,' he said."

I wonder what these "experts" have been smoking. Are they in Colorado?

Frist of all there is no proof that CO2 is changing the climate. Please think for just a minute. Plants need CO2 to survive, animals exhale CO2. Its a gas that is a prerequisite of all life on earth.

Instead of buying the myth of AGW (as eschewed by the prophet algore) why not focus on reducing all forms of pollution to the air and water, you don't need the pollution/climate unproven link in order to fight pollution. virtually 100% of humans would be with you to fight pollution. but you lose more than half of them when you try to tie pollution to climate because there is no proven link.

so sayeth the prophet

DUH!!!

I never brought up CO2 because its a dead topic unless you like to play make believe,

expectations be damned, I'm talking about known current and developing tech

great, which energy companies are producing viable non fossil fuel energy?

have you been to Denmark or Sweden? their entire coastlines are lined with wind turbines but they still rely of fossil fuels to keep from freezing in the winter, and there are thousands of birds killed by the turbines every day. I thought environmentalists liked animals.

Forum List

Back