Renewable Energy Will Be Consistently Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels By 2020

How do you fly an airplane with solar energy?

Asking for a friend.

Large batteries.
Large HEAVY batteries.

Let's not forget that with liquid jet fuel the weight of the aircraft lessens as the fuel is consumed thereby extending the range of the aircraft. With a battery when the power is drained you still have to lug around the weight

Asking for a friend.

Large batteries.
Large HEAVY batteries.

Let's not forget that with liquid jet fuel the weight of the aircraft lessens as the fuel is consumed thereby extending the range of the aircraft. With a battery when the power is drained you still have to lug around the weight

I just had an awesome idea for detachable drone batteries that fly to collection points along the route....

Could you rephrase that so us Homo Sapiens can understand it :114:

Any projection past 10 years is made up bullshit.

Any projection of any projection of Bullshit is just bullshit as well. It may become a reality. It's happening pretty fast out here.

The problem is when you use it to make it seem like you care about things. THAT is virtue signaling.

Saying you are going to change right now from incandescent to LED lights is something tangible. Saying you are going to use a no-existent technology exclusively 20 years from now is not.

We changed to the LED 10 years ago. We are in the start of changing to renewables more and more each and every day. LIke the town of Montrose and the town in Texas. It just takes a start somewhere and it spreads. You can ding California for their new Building Codes but over the long haul, it will cost less to heat, cool and light the homes and businesses in that entire state. Look for other states to follow suit. It doesn't cost a dime more to build that way than it does to build the old way so why not just do it.

The problem is State-wide codes that work well in San Diego and LA will be worthless in places further north. So mandated solar panels will be worth far less in places that are cloud covered far more than Southern California.

And it doesn't cost more??? Solar panels are free????

The electrical components needed to integrate with the grid are free?

Solar Panels really don't cost that much more than decent roofing tiles. And you start getting your money back almost immediately through buy backs. The extra cost ends up being less in the first year and it just goes down year after year.

The Electric Company HAS to make the transition. It's on them. And their meters just run backwards. One of the nasty things is, they charge a minimum amount even when you either take out the same as you put back in or you put back in MORE than you take out. This needs to be looked at.

Better than tripling down on dirty subsidized power

Dirty and subsidized? You mean solar?
No I mean coal and oil. They win the awful prize a thousand times over. Coal ash kills. Crude oil kills. The gulf of Mexico is a disaster zone.

No I mean coal and oil.

Coal and oil aren't subsidized, they tax the shit out of them.
They are both subsidized and taxed. It's weird and I'm not sure why off hand. I read that theres a 20b a year mostly direct subsidy and a 200b a year estimated indirect subsidy. My guess is that the extractors and processors get the benefit of the subsidies to keep supply and prices in check at state and federal level then the states go and assess a consumption tax at the pos.

I read that theres a 20b a year mostly direct subsidy and a 200b a year estimated indirect subsidy.

When 3rd world countries subsidize fuel for their citizens, that does nothing to help US producers who are heavily taxed.

thats globalist thinking, mind your own business ...its their country they can do as they please

thats globalist thinking, mind your own business

Exactly!
American liberals pointing at government subsidies for poor people in the third world and screaming, "BIG OIL!", bunch of stupid twats.

Asking for a friend.

Large batteries.
Large HEAVY batteries.

I just had an awesome idea for detachable drone batteries that fly to collection points along the route....

Sure you could land the plane every couple hours and swap batteries I guess if you want to build all those extra runaways.

I do not think in flight battery swaps are feasible

Any projection of any projection of Bullshit is just bullshit as well. It may become a reality. It's happening pretty fast out here.

The problem is when you use it to make it seem like you care about things. THAT is virtue signaling.

Saying you are going to change right now from incandescent to LED lights is something tangible. Saying you are going to use a no-existent technology exclusively 20 years from now is not.

We changed to the LED 10 years ago. We are in the start of changing to renewables more and more each and every day. LIke the town of Montrose and the town in Texas. It just takes a start somewhere and it spreads. You can ding California for their new Building Codes but over the long haul, it will cost less to heat, cool and light the homes and businesses in that entire state. Look for other states to follow suit. It doesn't cost a dime more to build that way than it does to build the old way so why not just do it.

The problem is State-wide codes that work well in San Diego and LA will be worthless in places further north. So mandated solar panels will be worth far less in places that are cloud covered far more than Southern California.

Solar Panels really don't cost that much more than decent roofing tiles. And you start getting your money back almost immediately through buy backs. The extra cost ends up being less in the first year and it just goes down year after year.

The Electric Company HAS to make the transition. It's on them. And their meters just run backwards. One of the nasty things is, they charge a minimum amount even when you either take out the same as you put back in or you put back in MORE than you take out. This needs to be looked at.

That's only because they are subsidized. And you also have to change the roofing structure to account for the additional weight. Even more so because of the snow load requirements found in Northern and Eastern California.

Asking for a friend.

Large batteries.
Large HEAVY batteries.

Sure you could land the plane every couple hours and swap batteries I guess if you want to build all those extra runaways.

You would place the batteries along the lower exterior of the plan in pods, that drop out when down to say 10% then deploy rotors to fly to a node. you wouldn't swap, you would just lose the dead weight after every battery goes below "X" charge"

Not sure if it would actually be worth it, but as an Engineer I like finding solutions to problems.

Cheaper naturally or cheaper with huge government subsidies on one side, coupled with increased taxes and regulations on the other?

When they remove the huge tax breaks the Oil Companies receive the cost of gas is going to go crazy. And we are already seeing renewables having an affect in Home Electricity out here in the West.

What tax breaks? They get deductions for certain costs, just like any other business does.

You may want to read up on Oil: A big investment with big tax breaks

Other industries have their own unique deductions as well. Of course a machinery company isn't going to get a drilling cost deduction, but they will get others the oil producers can't.

I don't see a single thing a Machine Company gets that an Oil company doesn't get. But I have yet to see a Machine Company get the breaks for looking for new machine parts like the oil companies get for exploration.

But I have yet to see a Machine Company get the breaks for looking for new machine parts like the oil companies get for exploration.

Because exploration is an actual business expense for oil companies. DURR!

Asking for a friend.

Large batteries.
Large HEAVY batteries.

You would place the batteries along the lower exterior of the plan in pods, that drop out when down to say 10% then deploy rotors to fly to a node. you wouldn't swap, you would just lose the dead weight after every battery goes below "X" charge"

Not sure if it would actually be worth it, but as an Engineer I like finding solutions to problems.
That's interesting.

I like the the idea

The Electric Company HAS to make the transition. It's on them. And their meters just run backwards.

Yeah, another subsidy for solar.

Large batteries.
Large HEAVY batteries.

That's interesting.

I like the the idea

The real expensive part would be the distribution required to make sure enough recovered batteries are at each airport to replace the ones dropped off.

That also means they have to be 100% interchangeable between aircraft.

To me the biggest hurdle would be the charge time. anything more than 1/2 an hour to recharge would impact turnaround times for the planes.

You would take refueling from being one of the quickest tasks to one of the longest.

Which should leave enough cargo capacity to fly a can of soup to its destination. Oh and it’ll take longer because you’re back to using propeller power.

Probably. I don't know. Don't think it really matters either way. Nobody said anything about eliminating fossil fuels. Only that renewables will be generally cheaper. There are, of course, more considerations than cost when deciding what kind of power source to use for a given application. Electricity is effective for homes but ineffective for submarines. Nuclear power is effective for submarines, but not very practical for automobiles. There's no reason to expect solar powered airplanes.
Look into quantum entanglement. It is a game changer. Maybe in our life time we will not need to have the fuel on the vehicle.

Asking for a friend.

Large batteries.
Large HEAVY batteries.

The drone Vacuum Cleaners beat you to it. :10:

That's only because they are subsidized. And you also have to change the roofing structure to account for the additional weight. Even more so because of the snow load requirements found in Northern and Eastern California.

not true, all roof structures are just fine as long as built to code

Asking for a friend.

Large batteries.
Large HEAVY batteries.

The drone Vacuum Cleaners beat you to it. :10:

Yeah, because running over a floor sucking up dirt remotely is the same as detaching from a moving airplane and landing at a centralized collection point....

You do realize a roof built to say a florida code wouldn't last a single winter in say Maine, right?

it means end of states gas-stations : KSA, "Russia", all Gulf states , etc. how our world without states gas-stations will be look like?
1458982466856.jpg

Renewable Energy Will Be Consistently Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels By 2020,
The organisation – which has more than 150 member countries – says the cost of generating power from onshore wind has fallen by around 23% since 2010 while the cost of solar photovoltaic (PV) electricity has fallen by 73% in that time. With further price falls expected for these and other green energy options, IRENA says all renewable energy technologies should be competitive on price with fossil fuels by 2020.Globally, onshore wind schemes are now costing an average of $0.06 per kilowatt hour (kWh), although some schemes are coming in at $0.04 per KwH, while the cost of solar PV is down to $0.10 per KwH. In comparison, the cost of electricity generation based on fossil fuels typically falls in a range of $0.05 to $0.17 per KwH.
Renewable Energy Will Be Consistently Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels By 2020, Report Claims

No, they won't. You missed the part of the latest amounts found in texas and how conventional energy will be even cheaper and abundant. Renewables aren't concentrated enough. Great for supplemental but thats it.

You do realize a roof built to say a florida code wouldn't last a single winter in say Maine, right?

They don't realize that. They start with A, leave out B, and then conclude a utopian C. Its their ignorance that is astonishing.

They don't realize that. They start with A, leave out B, and then conclude a utopian C. Its their ignorance that is astonishing.

Or as South park put it...

1. Collect Underpants
2. ???????
3. Profit!

Forum List

Back