Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee dead at 74

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas), who served in Congress for nearly three decades, has died at the age of 74, her office announced Friday evening.

“Today, with incredible grief for our loss yet deep gratitude for the life she shared with us, we announce the passing of United States Representative Sheila Jackson Lee of the 18th Congressional District of Texas,” her family wrote in a statement shared to her account on X.

I guess her staff won't get yelled at any more. RIP and all that. I don't know a lot about her politics.

confucius blessing lib blessing.jpg

I could be wrong but doesn't the governor name her replacement?

That would be the case in I think 36 states. The other 14, including Texas, require a special election and with less than six months to the end of her term, I doubt they will try to put one together. Sheila Jackson Lee represented the 18th Congressional District in Texas, a pretty much gerrymandered district that is predominantly black and Hispanic. I think almost half her constituency spoke English as a second language if at all.

I'm sure both parties are scrambling now to get someone qualified to run for her seat but I would guess the odds are strong that a Democrat will be elected to replace her.

That would be the case in I think 36 states. The other 14, including Texas, require a special election and with less than six months to the end of her term, I doubt they will try to put one together. Sheila Jackson Lee represented the 18th Congressional District in Texas, a pretty much gerrymandered district that is predominantly black and Hispanic. I think almost half her constituency spoke English as a second language if at all.

I'm sure both parties are scrambling now to get someone qualified to run for her seat but I would guess the odds are strong that a Democrat will be elected to replace her.
and a temporary replacement would be named by___________________________________?

Forum List

Back