Report : Administration lied about Bergdahl swap

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
GOP report: Administration misled Congress on Bergdahl swap
WASHINGTON — House Republicans are claiming in a new report that the Obama administration misled Congress about the effort to release five Taliban detainees at Guantanamo Bay for U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who was held captive by the militant group for nearly five years.
Republicans on the House Armed Services Committee released a 98-page report Wednesday on its inquiry into the case of the so-called Taliban Five after lawmakers expressed outrage that the Obama administration did not give Congress a 30-day notice about transferring the detainees to Qatar, as required by law. The report also provided behind-the-scenes details about the Defense Department's work with the Qataris, who played the middleman in negotiating the swap with the Taliban.
The five Taliban leaders, held at the military prison in Cuba, were informed that they were being released two days before the administration told Congress, the report said. They were put on a plane bound for Doha, Qatar on May 31, 2014, less than three hours after Bergdahl was released into U.S. custody.
"Some of the Taliban Five have engaged in threatening activities since being transferred to Qatar," the report said. "Regrettably, this outcome is a consequence of a poorly managed process undertaken contrary to a law specifically intended to minimize the risk posed by detainee transfers."
The Democratic members of the committee said the report does not offer evidence of how the Defense Department has failed to take sufficient precautions to make sure risks posed by releasing the Taliban Five are mitigated.
Reps. Adam Smith of Washington state and Jackie Speier of California, who wrote the Democrats' eight-page rebuttal, called the report "unbalanced" and "partisan." They said that while they agree that the Defense Department should have told Congress 30 days before the transfer as required by law, the question about the legality of the swap "remains unsettled."

I don't doubt it. Hell, I have a hard time believing anything from them. They could tell me it was 40 degrees outside and even though I KNOW it is, I would still have to go look.. just because they said it.

I find this part particularly interesting : "Some of the Taliban Five have engaged in threatening activities since being transferred to Qatar," the report said.
Sad.

I find this part particularly interesting : "Some of the Taliban Five have engaged in threatening activities since being transferred to Qatar," the report said.
Sad.

GOP reports are notoriously untruthful.

the Democrats' eight-page rebuttal, called the report "unbalanced" and "partisan."

No shit

What is obamas response to this being illegal?
He says it was an issue of national security but he wont say how it was an issue. And the other being the section itself is unconstitutional. He said it "infringes on his Presidential power" or something like that

the Democrats' eight-page rebuttal, called the report "unbalanced" and "partisan."

No shit
Obama breaking the law is unbalanced and partisan?

Which law was broken? I'll need the actual law, not just the ramblings of right wing nuts.
Text of H.R. 4310 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013 (Passed Congress/Enrolled Bill version) - GovTrack.us
Section 1028

OK, and in what way did he break this law? As much as the right wing accuses him of breaking the law, I expected you to supply more than one.

No shit

Which law was broken? I'll need the actual law, not just the ramblings of right wing nuts.
Text of H.R. 4310 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013 (Passed Congress/Enrolled Bill version) - GovTrack.us
Section 1028

OK, and in what way did he break this law? As much as the right wing accuses him of breaking the law, I expected you to supply more than one.
Read the link at the OP. It is explained

No shit

I think that is clear and not in dispute. They by law were to notify Congress 30 days prior, they did not.
Indeed. Obama even gave excuses

No shit

Section 1028

(1)

In general

Except as provided in paragraph (2) and subsection (d), the Secretary of Defense may not use any amounts authorized to be appropriated or otherwise available to the Department of Defense for fiscal year 2013 to transfer any individual detained at Guantanamo to the custody or control of the individual's country of origin, any other foreign country, or any other foreign entity unless the Secretary submits to Congress the certification described in subsection (b) not later than 30 days before the transfer of the individual.

Did he use 2013 funds? Funds allocated specifically for that year are the subject of this section.

Forum List

Back