Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

There it is folks, exactly how the left views business owners. They have this bizarre idea that all business owners just need to write bigger checks, and their own personal wealth will cover things.

Fucking amazing.

They will when people stop going to their restaurant because the prices are too expensive. Capitalism isn't a left sided mindset.

So you think all business owners have an endless supply of money, and they can personally cover any increses in operating expenses ?

Let me just add another example. When I order Papa Johns, I have to pay $10.99 for a cheese pizza, pay the owner's sales tax for him, pay a $3.69 delivery fee, and then tip the driver on top of it (paying the employee's wage for the owner).

$10.99 (pizza) + 0.91 (tax) + $3.69 (delivery fee) + $5.00 (tip) = $20.59 for one fucking pizza. But damn, that pizza shop owner must be poor!!

You see him driving a Porsche?

You're saying if someone doesn't drive a Porche they're poor? I can already see this is the start of a string of retarded posts from you.

Listen idiot do you even have a fuckin clue about profit margins in the fast food business ?

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

There it is folks, exactly how the left views business owners. They have this bizarre idea that all business owners just need to write bigger checks, and their own personal wealth will cover things.

Fucking amazing.

They will when people stop going to their restaurant because the prices are too expensive. Capitalism isn't a left sided mindset.

Proving how stupid you really are?

Why do these business owners need to take a hit?

Because liberals think anyone who is in business is rich and should pay for everything. They don't think they pay enough taxes even though they have NO IDEA what they earn or what it cost them to operate.

Fucking amazing.

I think you are overlooking massive costs to the owner. Utilites, insurance, health insurance, frivilous slip-fall & lightswitch too low lawsuits, Unemployment costs, workers comp, mortgage, TAXES (FED, Local, state) Phone, equipment, maintenance, service contracts, TAX prepare, Lawyers, Accountants, Book keepers, Cars, Gas on and on.

You try it.

There are a lot of restaurants out there who are barely making it. For the most part, higher prices are just a part of this. Baked in, no pun intended.

Fucking amazing.

I think you are overlooking massive costs to the owner. Utilites, insurance, health insurance, frivilous slip-fall & lightswitch too low lawsuits, Unemployment costs, workers comp, mortgage, TAXES (FED, Local, state) Phone, equipment, maintenance, service contracts, TAX prepare, Lawyers, Accountants, Book keepers, Cars, Gas on and on.

You try it.
And the ever present and pure theft, PERSONAL PROPERTY TAX, where every year you pay tax on every piece of property you own in your business no matter how many times you paid tax on it before.

Let me just add another example. When I order Papa Johns, I have to pay $10.99 for a cheese pizza, pay the owner's sales tax for him, pay a $3.69 delivery fee, and then tip the driver on top of it (paying the employee's wage for the owner).

$10.99 (pizza) + 0.91 (tax) + $3.69 (delivery fee) + $5.00 (tip) = $20.59 for one fucking pizza. But damn, that pizza shop owner must be poor!!
Where do you think the space rent comes from? Who pays the electric bill, the gas bill? Who buys cleaning supplies and disinfectant. Who paid for the stoves, grills, ovens? Who pays business insurance? Where does the phone bill money come from? Advertising? The food, flour, olives, pepperoni, who pays for all that?

That cheese pizza might end up with a one dollar in actual profit.

Just goes to show that the minimum wage increase needs to be on a national scale.

Where do you think the space rent comes from? Who pays the electric bill, the gas bill? Who buys cleaning supplies and disinfectant. Who paid for the stoves, grills, ovens? Who pays business insurance? Where does the phone bill money come from? Advertising? The food, flour, olives, pepperoni, who pays for all that?

There are a LOT of people out there, who have NO idea what it's like to run a business, who think that all business owners are "rich".

The wage increases are inevitable, so are the price increases, and we move on.

Fucking amazing.

How do you get "top poster of the month" with the stupid shit you post?

Raise the prices enough and people will stop going and will start eating at home.

There are a LOT of people out there, who have NO idea what it's like to run a business, who think that all business owners are "rich".

The wage increases are inevitable, so are the price increases, and we move on.

And other business owners don't pay rent, for cleaning supplies, electricity, etc?

Now list the Pizza parlor's expenses, and DO NOT FUCKING LIST JUST THE INGREDIENTS!

Fucking amazing.

Raise the prices enough and people will stop going and will start eating at home.

Poor dumb asses like you might...

Again answer my question child do you know what the profit margins for fast food joints are?

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.

The Fresno Bee cites the East Bay Times- and then ignores what the East Bay Times reported
Why are Bay Area restaurants closing?

In an industry where profit margins are slim, making it hard to raise wages or invest in recruitment tools, Bednarz explained, “we have little leverage” when it comes to hiring.

Decades-low unemployment across the Bay Area — 4 percent in the East Bay and 3.5 percent in the South Bay — means that restaurant workers can enter other industries or move to other restaurants. Bednarz said candidates often have not showed up for job interviews.

And the high cost of living here is driving many workers in restaurants and retail (typically lower-wage positions) to other cities and states.

AlaMar, a restaurant that opened on Oakland’s Grand Avenue in 2014, closed temporarily at the end of December to retool its concept from a full-service restaurant with servers tending to tables, to a quick-service model where people order at the counter. It’s a less labor-intensive model, which owners Nelson and May German are using to combat the challenges of hiring and paying staff.

While local and state-mandated minimum wages have risen via legislation in recent years, the so-called labor shortage itself is driving up costs as well, said Borden of the Golden Gate Restaurant Association.

But in one of the country’s most competitive restaurant markets, restaurants do not want to risk shorting customers on good service, particularly because labor is not the only challenge for restaurants.

Both Bednarz and German said the drastic increases in the cost of living in Oakland have put pressure on customers. They had heard from customers who were dining out less to manage their budgets as rents and other costs have risen.

At the same time, restaurant rents have increased. And higher wages mean higher payroll taxes, which are usually taken as a percentage of what employers pay their staff, and higher workers-compensation insurance premiums.

Fucking amazing.

Poor dumb asses like you might...

Again answer my question child do you know what the profit margins for fast food joints are?

Tons, look at McDonalds and BK for example.

The restaurant industry will become so expensive that the low end will be completely automated. Everything will be by machine.

There will still be restaurants with human chefs and servers. These will be highly trained professionals who have gone to school to develop food service careers. They will be highly paid and these restaurants will have prices to match.

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.

RUN........

Run to a GOP state, like Texas or WI really any in the eastern south if you want to eat out, I bet their food is the same price.

Owning one in GOP Ohio, I think qualifies me to weigh in on the subject. No, the prices are not as high, and the plates are fuller. And the gas it takes to get here, is less expensive. Sorry.
There is a reason why there is a mass exodus from California. They can't get anything right. Oh, and your gas is going to be taxed some more, again... because your cows fart.

"mass exodus from California'....lol

upload_2017-6-20_13-26-10.png

Forum List

Back