Restaurateur Defied Maine Gov To Open His Business, State Agents Are Moving To Shut Him Down

This shit is getting retarded. We have a president that won't do what it takes so we can be safe yet his dumb ass wants everybody to open for business. We have idiots that co sign this shit and who will be the ones getting infected and dying because they want to rush outside when we don't know who is infected and we have nothing that can heal you if you get the virus. Fuck that. I am not going to be so stupid as to take the chance of getting a virus where the only cure is you hope it doesn't get worse.

And the majority of Americans who are shown to feel the same way should not have to be exposed to a small bunch of childish pricks who don't have the mother fucking discipline to do what it takes to make this end.

Stay inside and cower down then.

“You can’t [extend the emergency order] three days before it [expires]. It doesn’t work,” Savage said. “We had food ordered. We were making chowders and chilis and all that stuff. And we’re like, ‘No, we’re opening.’ We’re clean, we can give people social distancing, we can do it right.”

Business owners and others are expected to protest against Mills’ order in Augusta on Saturday.

And that's one of the big problems facing small businesses all across the country in the face of so many politicians' indecisiveness. Our governor's initial shut down order was set to expire at midnight on May 1st and he waited until April 30th to say he was extending it to May 15th. He got a lot of criticism for that, even by the media, surprisingly, because people don't know what to expect and can't make any plans.

In Maine's case, I can't see Janet Mills' scientific justification for extending her order another month when there have only been 55 deaths in her state and it is largely rural. It doesn't make any sense and she's making these decisions all on her own without any input from the state assembly or the business community. That is not how our government is meant to function. We don't elect monarchs. We have separation of powers for a reason. It takes a lot of courage to do what Savage is doing and I hope other businesses follow suit and open up around the state as well. Too many mayors and governors are consolidating power they arguably don't have and need to be reminded who they work for.

Yet you support a president who claims all power.

And doesn't invoke it, unlike your hero, the obummer.

History will record President Barack Obama to be a far better president than trump.

There is nothing unconstitutional about it. There are no separation of powers issues. The Governor has the power to do this in a emergency.

I'm not familiar with the Maine state constitution and I doubt you are either, hence the reason I specifically said "power they arguably don't have." Nonetheless, an emergency does not give them unlimited power to do what ever it is they want. There are limits.
There is a law granting her those powers in an emergency. This is 37-B §742, Emergency Proclamation

C. After the filing of the emergency proclamation and in addition to any other powers conferred by law, the Governor may:
(1) Suspend the enforcement of any statute prescribing the procedures for conduct of state business, or the orders or rules of any state agency, if strict compliance with the provisions of the statute, order or rule would in any way prevent, hinder or delay necessary action in coping with the emergency;
(2) Utilize all available resources of the State Government and of each political subdivision of the State as reasonably necessary to cope with the disaster emergency;
(3) Transfer the direction, personnel or functions of state departments and agencies, or units thereof, for the purposes of performing or facilitating emergency services;
(4) Authorize the obtaining and acquisition of property, supplies and materials pursuant to section 821;
(5) Enlist the aid of any person to assist in the effort to control, put out or end the emergency or aid in the caring for the safety of persons;
(6) Direct and compel the evacuation of all or part of the population from any stricken or threatened area within the State, if the Governor determines this action necessary for the preservation of life or other disaster mitigation, response or recovery;
(7) Prescribe routes, modes of transportation and destinations in connection with evacuations;
(8) Control ingress and egress to and from a disaster area, the movement of persons within the area and the occupancy of premises therein;
(9) Suspend or limit the sale, dispensing or transportation of alcoholic beverages, explosives and combustibles;
(10) Make provision for the availability and use of temporary emergency housing;
(11) Order the termination, temporary or permanent, of any process, operation, machine or device which may be causing or is understood to be the cause of the state of emergency for which this proclamation was made; and
(12) Take whatever action is necessary to abate, clean up or mitigate whatever danger may exist within the affected area. [PL 2011, c. 626, §2 (AMD).]

I understand she has emergency power, but those powers have limits and they need to be executed responsibly. The fact that she is allegedly not even being responsive to members of the state legislature make me question her motives and suspect that she knows she's crossing a line. In my opinion, there is no state of emergency in Maine. You have 1.3 million people in your state and a total of 57 deaths. In deaths per million you rank 35 out of 50 states. Your state has been shrinking economically for decades and now more than 10% of you are unemployed directly because of her actions.

Governors are not monarchs. In a representative republic, a responsible leader would be making these decisions in conjunction with local elected representatives, health officials, and the business community, not completely on her own.
Who said she is not being responsive to the legislature? Which has been in recess for over a month, btw, due to the shutdown.

The Maine Governor took away his business and liquor license and is smashing him like a bug.
Only a Dimm could cheer for this shit!
It was temporarily revoked, to keep him from opening until he legally gets to do such, on June 1st, with all other law abiding restaurant owners.
My hairdresser said he had 230 customers the day he opened. That's like half the town of Bethel!!!!

The Maine Governor took away his business and liquor license and is smashing him like a bug.
It was temporarily revoked, to keep him from opening until he legally gets to do such, on June 1st, with all other law abiding restaurant owners.
My hairdresser said he had 230 customers the day he opened. That's like half the town of Bethel!!!!
i told my husband his barber was likely opened now and he decided that he likes his hair longer, and likes his beard too.... but that just ain't gonna cut it! :eek:

i told my husband his barber was likely opened now and he decided that he likes his hair longer, and likes his beard too.... but that just ain't gonna cut it! :eek:
I got mine cut today (I kept the beard though) lol

Forum List

Back