Review: Nomadland

Last edited:
Big night for Nomadland at the Golden Globes.

Won Best Picture - Drama and Best Director.
In a talentless, enjoyment bereft award for the Wokester the picture was not worth a single award. It was just the best they could do with the underside of the barrel they had.

I get your bitterness for your childhood. Your parents fucked you up.

But the movie was not your parents, nor was it representing grifters and beggars living on the street.

But you are entitled to your opinion.
I saw that movie. It was grifters, beggars and worthless shitting in buckets and dumping in the street. There was nothing worthwhile about it. It had no point except as an exhibition of utter hopelessness.
I don't see making a movie that has hopelessness in it as being worthless.
People who choose to expel themselves away from the absurdity of modern society and just go out there... that is their right. Now, as in your case, if those people involve their children in that choice - you have a valid point.

I think the movie highlights some of the pitfalls of our society. And a side few people see. People find themselves in bad circumstances, and get themselves out of it. Many of the people in that lifestyle do not want to live in a stick house in one place. And they support themselves. There are very few who are just beggars.
They choose homelessnesss because they are mentally disabled.

I guess when her husband died and the plant closed, she should have just gone on welfare?
Her sister offered a place to stay. On the road she met a man whose family offered her a house. Instead she grifted a few thousand from the sister and ran off from the generous family. I do hope she didn't steal from them.

So don't vomit up the welfare drivel.

In her specific case, she had options. Not everyone has those options. And despite being a bum and a grifter, as you say, she managed to find work and continue to work rather than rely on charity from others full-time.
So did my mom and dad. They found some kind of work everywhere they went. It isn't an inability that makes people like potted Fern a worthless waste of skin. It was the choices she made. She found work. She could have stayed with her sister, got a job, a place of her own and been a human being.

That you think she is not a human being, because she doesn't follow YOUR idea of what is best, shows more about you than about her.

There are many aspects of human behavior that indicate mental illness. If you knew a person compelled to cut themselves would you think this is just a matter of someone with a different idea of what's best? There are many behaviors that are just destructive. I have a step granddaughter that has pika. She eats garbage, rubber bands and styrofoam. Is this merely a different idea of what tastes good? That you are willing to accept mental illness as a lifestyle choice says a great deal about you.

People are allowed to have self destructive behaviors. People have the freedom to slice themselves with razor blades and it keeps bandaid makers in business. We don't glorify such behaviors. They aren't beneficial and shouldn't be made to appear so.

It is a simple story, heartfelt and Francis McDormand, no surprise, does a great job of playing the character.
Thanks for the review.

Big fan of McDormand since Fargo.

I'll likely give it a shot.

Have you seen Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. :thup:

It is a simple story, heartfelt and Francis McDormand, no surprise, does a great job of playing the character.
Thanks for the review.

Big fan of McDormand since Fargo.

I'll likely give it a shot.

Have you seen Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. :thup:

Three Billboards was fantastic, and actually better than Nomadland.

Bit of info I found out today.

If you watched the Oscars (or YouTube) you saw Francis McDormand do a wolf howl when she accepted the award. The sound engineer, nicknamed 'Wolf', died between the end of shooting and the Oscars. I believe it was a suicide. She was dedicating the Oscar to him.

Watched the movie Nomadland last night. Best thing I have seen in a while. Francis Dormond (Fargo and Almost Famous) is excellent.

It explores the culture of the nomads in America. The people who, by choice or by circumstance, live in vans or RVs. As an RVer, I identify with some of the reasons it could appeal to people.
The wife and I have talked about the possibility of taking a year off when we retire to do just that. Not sure if we will or not.
We will not retire where we live. We both have good paying jobs where we are, and that is the only reason we are here.
So... when we retire we are going to relocate. But we may sell the house, and instead of go right into another one... take a year and travel America.
Who knows
My uncle did that.
He used to live in Oregon....but he bought an RV and drove all over the country and is settling in AZ.

Watched the movie Nomadland last night. Best thing I have seen in a while. Francis Dormond (Fargo and Almost Famous) is excellent.

It explores the culture of the nomads in America. The people who, by choice or by circumstance, live in vans or RVs. As an RVer, I identify with some of the reasons it could appeal to people.
The wife and I have talked about the possibility of taking a year off when we retire to do just that. Not sure if we will or not.
We will not retire where we live. We both have good paying jobs where we are, and that is the only reason we are here.
So... when we retire we are going to relocate. But we may sell the house, and instead of go right into another one... take a year and travel America.
Who knows
My uncle did that.
He used to live in Oregon....but he bought an RV and drove all over the country and is settling in AZ.

There are a lot of full timers doing that. Good for your uncle!

Forum List

Back