Rift Between Labor and Environmentalists Threatens Democratic Turnout Plan

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
The moment when union workers realize that the Democrat Party and environmentalists have been using their dues to kill their jobs finally arrives.

WASHINGTON — Two of the Democratic Party’s most loyal constituencies, labor and environmentalists, are clashing over an effort to raise tens of millions of dollars for an ambitious voter turnout operation aimed at defeating Donald J. Trump in the November election.

The rift developed after some in the labor movement, whose cash flow has dwindled and whose political clout has been increasingly imperiled, announced a partnership last week with a wealthy environmentalist, Tom Steyer, to help bankroll a new fund dedicated to electing Democrats.

That joint initiative enraged members of the nation’s biggest construction unions, already on edge about the rising influence of climate-change activists. The building-trades unions view Mr. Steyer’s environmental agenda as a threat to the jobs that can be created through infrastructure projects like new gas pipelines.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/17/us/politics/democratic-turnout.html?_r=0

The moment when union workers realize that the Democrat Party and environmentalists have been using their dues to kill their jobs finally arrives.

WASHINGTON — Two of the Democratic Party’s most loyal constituencies, labor and environmentalists, are clashing over an effort to raise tens of millions of dollars for an ambitious voter turnout operation aimed at defeating Donald J. Trump in the November election.

The rift developed after some in the labor movement, whose cash flow has dwindled and whose political clout has been increasingly imperiled, announced a partnership last week with a wealthy environmentalist, Tom Steyer, to help bankroll a new fund dedicated to electing Democrats.

That joint initiative enraged members of the nation’s biggest construction unions, already on edge about the rising influence of climate-change activists. The building-trades unions view Mr. Steyer’s environmental agenda as a threat to the jobs that can be created through infrastructure projects like new gas pipelines.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/17/us/politics/democratic-turnout.html?_r=0

I love how Steyrs source of his wealth is ignored while proclaiming him an environmentalist. What a crock.

The first job I got in politics was working for a third party in NY that was basically run by CWA and UAW. It wasn't until years later when I'd branched off on my own that I worked with environmentalist orgs on a local race that I realized the antagonism between the two groups.

Here in the Bay, if you're a liberal politician, you've got to decide whether you're going to go for the Labor Council endorsement, or the Sierra Club - because there's no chance in hell that you'll get both. If you get one, it basically guarantees that you won't get the other.

Forum List

Back