Rightwing backlash against smart, educated people like Dr Tyson

nice try.

GSS data on the question "Is Astrology scientific."

GRAPH%20Astrology%20Scientific%20Truth.png

You do damage to your argument using sources like Alternet.

probably.

but you would agree that there is a deep vein of anti-intellectualism and anti-education on the right. yes?

No, I wouldn't agree. There are a lot of factors in play. What you see as people rejecting education, the real world data shows as the more intelligent people with marketable skills entering the workforce while less intelligent people with unmarketable skills continue on with schooling, hence so many post-graduate degrees being dominated by liberals.

When a conservative with an engineering degree stops at the B.Sc level and gets a job right after graduation, this isn't really an expression of an anti-education viewpoint. Similarly, when an African-American studies major graduates with a B.A. and can't get a job cleaning toilets, her choice to continue on for a M.A. in African-American studies doesn't indicate that she has a higher degree of intelligence, intellectualism or is more pro-education.

Some data:

Those who do not go on to graduate school are drawn atypically from the upper tail of the GRE quantitative distribution and the lower tail of the GRE verbal distribution, both of which are expected to raise their earnings. On the other hand, those who go on to graduate school are drawn disproportionately from the lower tail of the quantitative GRE distribution and from the upper tail of the GRE verbal distribution, both of which lower their opportunity costs of graduate school.​

I'm afraid of science because I might go blind!

[ame=http://youtu.be/-FIMvSp01C8]Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science (Exclusive Video) - YouTube[/ame]

Read all the threads here in which the Right reviles teachers and intellectuals and tell me I am wrong.

As has been explained, no one is "reviling" these folks for their positions as teachers and intellectuals, they're being criticized for corrupting their disciplines by using them as cover to push leftist propaganda.

Meanwhile, the Western Left has learned from the communists how to treat people who displease them. Witness the fates of Dr. James Watson, Dr. Larry Summers, Dr. Jason Richwine, and Brendan Eich. Lives destroyed by liberal zealots.

Bunch of bullshit. At present, for political reasons, the GOP and right wing are denying the reality of global warming. And people like Dr. James Hansen, Dr. Micheal Mann, and so many others have many, many aclaimed publications to their name. In the meantime, on this subject, the GOP is taking it's cues from an obese junkie.

Read all the threads here in which the Right reviles teachers and intellectuals and tell me I am wrong.

As has been explained, no one is "reviling" these folks for their positions as teachers and intellectuals, they're being criticized for corrupting their disciplines by using them as cover to push leftist propaganda.

Meanwhile, the Western Left has learned from the communists how to treat people who displease them. Witness the fates of Dr. James Watson, Dr. Larry Summers, Dr. Jason Richwine, and Brendan Eich. Lives destroyed by liberal zealots.

Bunch of bullshit. At present, for political reasons, the GOP and right wing are denying the reality of global warming. And people like Dr. James Hansen, Dr. Micheal Mann, and so many others have many, many aclaimed publications to their name. In the meantime, on this subject, the GOP is taking it's cues from an obese junkie.

I happen to know a thing or two about science and computer models are not science. Mann is a disgrace. Hansen routinely oversteps into political advocacy. You're certainly free to rely on their authority but that reliance on authority doesn't carry any weight in a debate.

Really? I see zero evidence of scientific knowledge in your posts. Haven't seen you support your positions with links to credible sources. You know, peer reviewed journals and scientific associations with good reputations in their discipline.

Really? I see zero evidence of scientific knowledge in your posts. Haven't seen you support your positions with links to credible sources. You know, peer reviewed journals and scientific associations with good reputations in their discipline.

I'm heartbroken that I don't meet your standards. What? You think I'm going to start jumping through hoops now to prove something to you? :badgrin: You leftists are so predictable.

probably.

but you would agree that there is a deep vein of anti-intellectualism and anti-education on the right. yes?

No, I wouldn't agree. There are a lot of factors in play. What you see as people rejecting education, the real world data shows as the more intelligent people with marketable skills entering the workforce while less intelligent people with unmarketable skills continue on with schooling, hence so many post-graduate degrees being dominated by liberals.

When a conservative with an engineering degree stops at the B.Sc level and gets a job right after graduation, this isn't really an expression of an anti-education viewpoint. Similarly, when an African-American studies major graduates with a B.A. and can't get a job cleaning toilets, her choice to continue on for a M.A. in African-American studies doesn't indicate that she has a higher degree of intelligence, intellectualism or is more pro-education.

Some data:

Those who do not go on to graduate school are drawn atypically from the upper tail of the GRE quantitative distribution and the lower tail of the GRE verbal distribution, both of which are expected to raise their earnings. On the other hand, those who go on to graduate school are drawn disproportionately from the lower tail of the quantitative GRE distribution and from the upper tail of the GRE verbal distribution, both of which lower their opportunity costs of graduate school.​
True. Liberals sometimes have a hard time understanding why some afford greater respect to someone with a BSc than someone with a Master's in Gay & Lesbian Haiku.

Blaming it all on "the bankers" is too close to Nazi rhetoric for me.

Big Pharma, Big Corn, Big Oil, Big Labor, etc, etc, have just as much if not more control than Wall Street does.

You're right..................the "bankers" aren't the only ones responsible for the current crop of bullshit.

We also need to include big corporations, meaning everyone from Wal-Mart and Monsanto to BP and all of the other oil companies.

Toss politicians who are played as tools for the big corporations, without complicit help from Congress and the Executive branch, they would hold little power.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

If we got rid of major corporations and closed all the banks, we'd be just like Somalia and that's just the way democrats want it.

WTF is wrong with Tyson? I love physicists.

The complaint about Tyson is when he leverages his celebrity for liberal political purposes. Just stick to explaining science and no one complains.

On a more fundamental level, Tyson is a celebrity because he's black. Look at his accomplishments in his field - his publication record is pathetic. He isn't an acclaimed physicist who earned his acclaim due to accomplishments, he's a famous physicist because he's black and breaks stereotypes. He's following the Obama route - no accomplishments, being rewarded for being black.

I'm not sure that's fair. Dr. Tyson has complained that he simply doesn't have time to do the science end of his job (e.g. time in labs, writing papers, begging for grant money, exploiting grad students) simply because he spends all his time doing other stuff like writing books, running the Hayden Planetarium, spending time doing science communication, killing planets, and so on. He also didn't intended to get away from doing hard science in favor of science communication and just sort of fell into it, but he's good at it, and popularizing science is very important.

Awards[edit]
2001 Medal of Excellence, Columbia University, New York City
2004 NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal
2007 Klopsteg Memorial Award winner
2009 Douglas S. Morrow Public Outreach Award from the Space Foundation for significant contributions to public awareness of space programs[30]
2009 Isaac Asimov Award from the American Humanist Association[87]
2014 Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Reality Show Host
Honorary doctorates[edit]
1997 York College, City University of New York
2000 Ramapo College, Mahwah, New Jersey
2000 Dominican College, Orangeburg, New York
2001 University of Richmond, Richmond, Virginia
2002 Bloomfield College, Bloomfield, New Jersey
2003 Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts
2004 College of Staten Island, City University of New York
2006 Pace University, New York City
2007 Williams College, Williamstown, Massachusetts
2007 Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Massachusetts
2008 University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2010 University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama
2010 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York
2010 Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic, Connecticut
2011 Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
2012 Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, Massachusetts
2012 Western New England University, Springfield, Massachusetts
Honors[edit]
2000 Sexiest Astrophysicist Alive, People Magazine[88]
2001 asteroid named: 13123 Tyson, renamed from Asteroid 1994KA by the International Astronomical Union
2001 The Tech 100, voted by editors of Crain's Magazine to be among the 100 most influential technology leaders in New York
2004 Fifty Most Important African-Americans in Research Science[89]
2007 Harvard 100: Most Influential Harvard Alumni Magazine, Cambridge. Massachusetts
2007 The Time 100, voted by the editors of Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential persons in the world[90]
2008 Discover Magazine selected him as one of "The 10 Most Influential People in Science"[91]
Works[edit]
List of works by Tyson:[92]

Research publications[edit]
Twarog, Bruce A.; Tyson, Neil D. (1985). "uvby Photometry of Blue Stragglers in NGC 7789". Astronomical Journal 90: 1247. doi:10.1086/113833
Tyson, Neil D.; Scalo, John M. (1988). "Bursting Dwarf Galaxies: Implications for Luminosity Function, Space Density, and Cosmological Mass Density". Astrophysical Journal 329: 618. doi:10.1086/166408
Tyson, Neil D. (1988). "On the possibility of Gas-Rich Dwarf Galaxies in the Lyman-alpha Forest". Astrophysical Journal (Letters) 329: L57. doi:10.1086/185176
Tyson, Neil D.; Rich, Michael (1991). "Radial Velocity Distribution and Line Strengths of 33 Carbon Stars in the Galactic Bulge". Astrophysical Journal 367: 547. doi:10.1086/169651
Tyson, Neil D.; Gal, Roy R. (1993). "An Exposure Guide for Taking Twilight Flatfields with Large Format CCDs". Astronomical Journal 105: 1206. doi:10.1086/116505
Tyson, Neil D.; Richmond, Michael W.; Woodhams, Michael; Ciotti, Luca (1993). "On the Possibility of a Major Impact on Uranus in the Past Century". Astronomy & Astrophysics (Research Notes) 275: 630
Schmidt, B. P. et al. (1994). "The Expanding Photosphere Method Applied to SN1992am at cz = 14600 km/s". Astronomical Journal 107: 1444
Wells, L. A. et al. (1994). "The Type Ia Supernova 1989B in NGC3627 (M66)". Astronomical Journal 108: 2233. doi:10.1086/117236
Hamuy, M. et al. (1996). "BVRI Light Curves For 29 Type Ia Supernovae". Astronomical Journal 112: 2408. doi:10.1086/118192
Lira, P. et al. (1998). "Optical light curves of the Type IA supernovae SN 1990N and 1991T". Astronomical Journal 116: 1006. doi:10.1086/300175
Scoville, N. et al. (2007). "The Cosmic Evolution Survey (COSMOS): Overview". Astrophysical Journal Supplement 172: 1. doi:10.1086/516585
Scoville, N. et al. (2007). "COSMOS: Hubble Space Telescope Observations". Astrophysical Journal Supplement 172: 38. doi:10.1086/516580
Liu, C. T.; Capak, P.; Mobasher, B.; Paglione, T. A. D.; Scoville, N. Z.; Tribiano, S. M.; Tyson, N. D. (2008). "The Faint-End Slopes of Galaxy Luminosity Functions in the COSMOS Field". Astrophysical Journal Letters 672: 198. doi:10.1086/522361
Books[edit]

Signing a copy of his book Origins, JREF's The Amazing Meeting 6
Merlin's Tour of the Universe (1989). ISBN 0-385-48835-1
Universe Down to Earth (1994). ISBN 0-231-07560-X
Just Visiting This Planet (1998). ISBN 0-385-48837-8
One Universe: At Home in the Cosmos (2000). ISBN 0-309-06488-0
Cosmic Horizons: Astronomy at the Cutting Edge (2000). ISBN 1-56584-602-8
City of Stars: A New Yorker's Guide to the Cosmos (2002)
My Favorite Universe (a 12-part lecture series) (2003). ISBN 1-56585-663-5
Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution (co-authored with Donald Goldsmith) (2004). ISBN 0-393-32758-2
The Sky Is Not the Limit: Adventures of an Urban Astrophysicist (1st ed 2000 / 2nd ed 2004). ISBN 978-1-59102-188-9
Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries (2007). ISBN 0-393-33016-8
The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet (2009). ISBN 0-393-06520-0
Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier (2012). ISBN 0-393-08210-5
Filmography[edit]
The Inexplicable Universe: Unsolved Mysteries (a 6-part lecture series from the Great Courses)[93]
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey: 2014 documentary (presenter)

probably.

Exactly. The Right displays a very deep vein of anti-intellectualism and anti-education. Absolutely. We see it in on this board in thread after thread.

Which explains how this right winger is always in there tearing apart the pretentiousness of the idiots who think they understand science simply because they declare themselves Democrats.

The sheer complexity of the self delusion that lefties employ to create their reality is amazing to watch but of course those idiots are actually running things so it kind of spoils the fascination for me.

Here's what is so damn frustrating about liberal stupidity, well, one of many things; liberals think that smart and educated are one in the same. Of course they aren't. Liberals also think that if someone is educated or smart, then they don't lie, they don't have evil intentions, and they aren't coaxed into lying or corruption by money. But it's easy to understand why liberals are fooled into thinking like this since to be a liberal is to be ignorant.

Here's what is so damn frustrating about liberal stupidity, well, one of many things; liberals think that smart and educated are one in the same. Of course they aren't. Liberals also think that if someone is educated or smart, then they don't lie, they don't have evil intentions, and they aren't coaxed into lying or corruption by money. But it's easy to understand why liberals are fooled into thinking like this since to be a liberal is to be ignorant.

Crap. What an absolute dumb fuck you are. 50 years an industrial millwright, a full education in the practical and pragmatic. And 110 credits now towards a degree in Geology. And I am a blue collar liberal. Because of the absolute idiocy I see our present "Conservatives" engaging in.

People like you insist that the unsupported opinion of an obese junkie on the radio outweighs the research of scientists with tens of years invested in their discipline. Now that is true stupidity.

Forum List

Back