RIP Charlie Pride

I'm sorry that this man passed away, and my condolences to his family. But who was he? I take it that he was something in country music?
I posted a LINK- read the fucking thing for crying out loud!
Is this something to get angry about? I just am not familiar with this part of our American cultures. It's like hearing about the death of Bruce Lee.

I'm sorry that this man passed away, and my condolences to his family. But who was he? I take it that he was something in country music?
I posted a LINK- read the fucking thing for crying out loud!
Is this something to get angry about? I just am not familiar with this part of our American cultures. It's like hearing about the death of Bruce Lee.

The OP was unnecessarily harsh. Charley Pride was a well-known Country singer for decades. But the only reason I know that is because I collect records.

Not a big country music fan but he was very talented man.
Charley Pride, Pioneering Black Country Singer, Dead at 86

Oh no! I liked him very much. RIP.

He told the story of how he was originally offered 'Green Green Grass of Home', the big Tom Jones hit, but the record company wouldn't let him record it because it had the lines

Down the lane I walk with my sweet Mary
Hair of gold and lips like cherries

It would have upset the racists.

Follow up- even though, some nit wit disallowed (or moved) my original post- it is as I told the commenters.

CMAs Issue Statement After Concerns Over the Death of Charley Pride

Saving Country Music reached out to both the CMAs, and representatives for the team and estate for Charley Pride for clarification on a timeline of when Pride tested positive, and if they knew where he had contracted the disease. Charley Pride’s publicist, Jeremy Westby, responded early Saturday evening (12-12) with a statement from the CMA that has been approved by Charley Pride’s representatives. The statement has subsequently been released to the public.

Is this something to get angry about?
Read my response. let me help you- I POSTED A LINK- that had the infomation/answer- had you troubled yourself to read the link- you wouldn't have made yourself look so foolish, in public- although, on political message boards, that seems to be the goal. That. the lack of actually reading an article, is what "upset" me.

He's proof that country music fans aren't racist.
My Dad told me a funny story about when he was in the Air Force about an airman in the shop that was from Alabama. This guy's favorite country singer was Charlie Pride. A friend of his had recorded his Pride albums on reel-to-reel tapes (remember those?) and given them to him. He was also known to be quite racist.

So, one day, one of the black airmen had had enough and asked him if he knew that his favorite country singer was black. He not only didn't know, he absolutely refused to believe it until someone brought in an album with the cover. He was apparently razzed extensively.

But hey, I didn't know that Darius Rucker was black when I only heard him on the radio.

RIP Charlie. Need a lift to San Antone?

He's proof that country music fans aren't racist.
My Dad told me a funny story about when he was in the Air Force about an airman in the shop that was from Alabama. This guy's favorite country singer was Charlie Pride. A friend of his had recorded his Pride albums on reel-to-reel tapes (remember those?) and given them to him. He was also known to be quite racist.

So, one day, one of the black airmen had had enough and asked him if he knew that his favorite country singer was black. He not only didn't know, he absolutely refused to believe it until someone brought in an album with the cover. He was apparently razzed extensively.

But hey, I didn't know that Darius Rucker was black when I only heard him on the radio.

RIP Charlie. Need a lift to San Antone?
Why is EVERYTHING that comes out on the news boiled down to racism? This great musical artist passed away after gifting the world with some great music. Take your racist shit down the road.

Forum List

Back