Robot umpires in baseball?

Resnic

Diamond Member
May 2, 2021
So baseball is testing a robot umpire during spring training?

Ok part of me understands the desire for accuracy and consistency, but the other doesn't like removing the human element from something that is entirely designed and about the human element. That's why we watch sports is to see humans competing against humans and true the umpire isn't competing in the sport but there is just something I don't like about putting a computer inside a sport.

• Thanks
Reactions: JLW
So baseball is testing a robot umpire during spring training?

Ok part of me understands the desire for accuracy and consistency, but the other doesn't like removing the human element from something that is entirely designed and about the human element. That's why we watch sports is to see humans competing against humans and true the umpire isn't competing in the sport but there is just something I don't like about putting a computer inside a sport.
Its going ro happen eventually,.sports is big business. I guarantee you that there will be incidents of hacked umps though. Machines are only as good as their coding.

I see this .. it's like watching iRobot

Robot Umpire.jpg

I can realize the need for accuracy, but in the other hand, a ref’s or ump’s spur of the moment decision, rightly or wrongly, is what make sports interesting. Watching the Euro tournament last week and the amount of time it took a VAR review took a toll on the rhythm of the game. Booing or cheering the ump or ref is part of the game.

Last edited:
It will save the teams the money that umpires are paid, I can see the motivation.

And robotic umps wouldn't have to worry about "challenges" to calls which delay things nowadays.

Back in the day, umps made their call and the decision was final. Now, they have booth reviews and all that bullshit which really hurts the flow of the proceedings.

Forum List

Back