Ron Johnson: John Boehner Would Lose Speakership If He Caves On Taxes To Avert Seques

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
Ron Johnson: John Boehner Would Lose Speakership If He Caves On Taxes To Avert Sequester

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) said House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) would lose his speakership if he agrees to new tax revenues to avert the across-the-board spending cuts that are set to kick in on March 1.

"I don't quite honestly think that Speaker Boehner would be speaker if that happens," Johnson told Fox News of Boehner caving on taxes as part of a sequester replacement package. "I think he would lose his speakership."

Johnson's comments raise questions about Boehner's leadership post for the second time in as many months. Similar claims made during fiscal cliff talks in December, when some accused Boehner of being more concerned with protecting his job as speaker than with brokering a deal. The pressure on Boehner intensified after his proposal to avoid the fiscal cliff was rejected by members of his own party.

It's unlikely his speakership is in jeopardy. Boehner retained his position, despite reports of friction, with just 10 House Republicans voting against him in his Jan 3. reelection.

Ron Johnson: John Boehner Would Lose Speakership If He Caves On Taxes To Avert Sequester

March 3, 2013

Boner vs. Teabaggers

"Still, after experiencing the circular shooting of the 112th Congress, some conservatives won’t commit. “This is a trial period,” said Rep. Tim Huelskamp of Kansas, who voted against Boehner and isn’t convinced the cease-fire will last. Huelskamp, who itemized Boehner’s promises in a document titled “The Williamsburg Accord,” predicted dire consequences if leadership does not deliver. “We expect these things to happen,” said Huelskamp. “The speaker gave his word. He pledged his speakership.”

boehnerreidcrying_jonathanernst_reuters.jpeg

Last edited:
March 3, 2013

Boner vs. Teabaggers

"Still, after experiencing the circular shooting of the 112th Congress, some conservatives won’t commit. “This is a trial period,” said Rep. Tim Huelskamp of Kansas, who voted against Boehner and isn’t convinced the cease-fire will last. Huelskamp, who itemized Boehner’s promises in a document titled “The Williamsburg Accord,” predicted dire consequences if leadership does not deliver. “We expect these things to happen,” said Huelskamp. “The speaker gave his word. He pledged his speakership.”

john-boehner.jpg

Do you want me to report you? I'll do it.

You are trolling. No more. No more.

March 3, 2013

Boner vs. Teabaggers

boehnerreidcrying_jonathanernst_reuters.jpeg

Don't you understand the new rules?

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) said House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) would lose his speakership if he agrees to new tax revenues to avert the across-the-board spending cuts that are set to kick in on March 1.

"I don't quite honestly think that Speaker Boehner would be speaker if that happens," Johnson told Fox News of Boehner caving on taxes as part of a sequester replacement package. "I think he would lose his speakership."

Johnson's comments raise questions about Boehner's leadership post for the second time in as many months. Similar claims made during fiscal cliff talks in December, when some accused Boehner of being more concerned with protecting his job as speaker than with brokering a deal. The pressure on Boehner intensified after his proposal to avoid the fiscal cliff was rejected by members of his own party.

It's unlikely his speakership is in jeopardy. Boehner retained his position, despite reports of friction, with just 10 House Republicans voting against him in his Jan 3. reelection.

He may not lose his leadership but watch every one run if he caves.

Then comes the fun.

I don't disagree with this premise, but then again this is an issue Obama should have walking down off his hill over. He lost, and boehner won.

The real issue is what the Senate will give Boehner to bring up for a vote over the debt ceiling. Some of the soc sec cuts are not necessarily good, such as changing the COLAs. Seniors can't effectively switch out products they buy when the products are medical stuff, i.e. it's not like foregoing beef for pork. But is there anyother way to hold down Soc Sec costs? How much more from defense can be cut? Why should a person on a Pell Grant be allowed to fail more than one class and still be eligible?

Can Graham find anything he can vote for?

Boehner gets some political capital to avoid the Hassert Rule if there's really a bipartisan debt deal with revenue increases. The senate dems and gopers can maybe agree that 600 billion in revenues can be used to avoid really negative cuts. But, it seems inconceivable to me that, if there's any good faith, we can't at least get 1.6 trillion in less debt and hope growth and restrained spending gets us back to 1999.

I'll be the first in line to suggest he lose his speaker ship...Cut your damn bloated Government FIRST...no new friggen taxes...GOT IT

Forum List

Back