Ronald Reagan Facts

Reagan facts: Reagan started with 11.8% inflation, ended with 4.7% inflation.

Carter ended with 7.5 percent unemployment, Reagan ended with 5.4 percent.

When Reagan took office, America had just been through Vietnam, Watergate, the disastrous Carter Administration, 444 days of the Iranian hostage crisis, the near nuclear meltdown of Three Mile Island, and was experiencing double digit inflation. Meanwhile, the Soviet Union had a death grip on Eastern Europe and had invaded Afghanistan.

Then along came Reagan. Cheery, optimistic, bursting with solutions to our problems. He would be crucified by the GOP of today for not being a hateful whiner and for his willingness to work with Democrats.

When Reagan took office in January 1981, unemployment was 7.5%. At the end of his first term, in January 1985, it was 7.3% and falling. At the end of his second term in January 1989, it was 5.4%.

In the aggregate, Reagan's tax cuts were greater than his tax increases. He had the courage to admit his tax cuts were too deep, and he rolled them back a little.

Reagan also worked with his political opponents to reform the tax code and to reform welfare. He eliminated a great many tax expenditures that benefited the wealthy.

He also had the guts to stand firm on raising interest rates to end the runaway inflation he inherited, even though he was being attacked from all sides for doing so. But he was right and he saved the economy.

In January 1981, inflation stood at 11.8 percent. In January 1989, inflation was at 4.7 percent.

Reagan had balls. Huge balls of steel. He ramped up our defense posture in a big way. "Peace through strength."

This ramping up scared the bejeesus out of the obsequious lefties who felt we should suck the USSR's dick so as not to piss them off. There were protests all over Western Europer by the longhairs.

One of my favorite bands, Genesis, made a video called "Land of Confusion" which encapsulates the pants wetting of the liberals. The video portrayed Reagan as a guy who was going to get us all killed.

The libbies were wrong.

By esclating the arms race, Reagan broke the USSR's bank. They couldn't keep up.

You see, Reagan knew something. He knew the USSR's defense posture was all a huge sham. They were nowhere near the big badass they had the commie symps in the West believing they were.

Reagan had inside information to the contrary, and he had the balls to act on it.

So, yeah, Reagan spent money like crazy. Yes he did. But he did it to break the USSR. And it worked.

No retard will ever convince me Reagan was nothing other than one of our greatest Presidents.

Yes that is a basic criticism of Reagan. He cut taxes for the wealthy and increased taxes for everyone else.
That's bullshit. Reagan closed a lot of loopholes which the wealthy had been taking advantage of.

All I really have to say is this...to more I learn about economics, the more I see Reagan's era pointed to as a failure rather than a success...which is odd when you consider that Conservatives seem to hail him as the second coming of Christ.

Killing the malaise, high inflation and high unemployment of Carter's term.....yeah, failure. Durr.
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you talk about malaise. However, I am glad you brought up unemployment...since Reagan is one of the worst presidents in modern history for that statistic.

United States Unemployment Rates by President, 1948-2016

Here you can clearly see that unemployment rose, DRASTICALLY under Reagan's policies...it wasn't that he came in with a recession in full swing (like Obama), the recession occurred right in the middle of his first term as president. Again, right wingers refuse to look at basic statistics and facts and would rather dance about happily like a 3-year old girl pretending that Reagan is the princess of their castle.
And where was unemployment at the end of his Administration?

You see, Reagan had to whip double digit inflation and a stagnant economy, and to do so, a recession was necessary. Reagan was under a lot of pressure to quit his plan due to the recession, but he had balls and stuck to his guns, and he was proven right.

Only someone completely ignorant of the period would not know these things and the greatness of Reagan's achievement of defeating a stagnation which had taken down two Presidents before him.

You posted the unemployment rate. Now look at the other half of the picture, dipshit: Historical Inflation Rates: 1914-2016

You are conflating Inflation with overall employment, working hours and collateral damage where businesses surrounding financial centers were devastated.

On the other hand, I'm not going to sit around and answer your questions like I'm your teacher or parent.

More like you're my student or child.
Your ignorance of the connection between Carter and malaise leads me to believe you're very young.

Your ignorance of the cause of the Reagan recession leads to the same conclusion.
You say that, but you refrain from actually making a statement that can be discussed. Considering that the only statement you have actually made has been verifiably false...it more seems that you are unwilling to assert your points rather than anything else. Again, if you want to make a statement about what you think to be true I don't mind debating. On the other hand, I'm not going to be your teacher...just go back to school kid.

Considering that the only statement you have actually made has been verifiably false...

Which statement was that?

On the other hand, I'm not going to be your teacher...

Considering your ignorance on the subject, that's a good thing, son.

The subject is simple enough to gratify a Republican...cheap labor GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Where does Supply Side Theory say cheap labor is good?

You are one dumb fuck.
Did you actually read the article?
Of course not as you're too busy thinking you're too knowledgeable about it already.
I am NOT going to post article sentences for you as I suspect you're old enough and educated to actually read an article.
Now stop embarrassing yourself.

Feel free to post any portion of any article you feel backs up your claim.

In 1980, middle-income families with children paid 8.2% in income taxes and 9.5% in payroll taxes. By 1988 their income tax was down to 6.6%, but payroll tax was up to 11.8%, a combined increase in taxes.

The OP made it sound like Reagan raised net taxes on middle-income families.
Your source showed the payroll hikes would have occurred by 1990, without Reagan taking action.
And he cut their income taxes.
Your source showed the payroll hikes would have occurred by 1990, without Reagan taking action.

At the same rate?

The same rates were implemented sooner.
That is not entirely accurate but never mind, you admit Reagan raised taxes.

I admit.....Reagan moved the planned increases in payroll taxes....forward.
While dropping the top income tax rate from 70% to 28%.
Yes that is a basic criticism of Reagan. He cut taxes for the wealthy and increased taxes for everyone else.

Yes, most basic criticism of Reagan is based on ignorance.

You say that, but you refrain from actually making a statement that can be discussed. Considering that the only statement you have actually made has been verifiably false...it more seems that you are unwilling to assert your points rather than anything else. Again, if you want to make a statement about what you think to be true I don't mind debating. On the other hand, I'm not going to be your teacher...just go back to school kid.

Considering that the only statement you have actually made has been verifiably false...

The subject is simple enough to gratify a Republican...cheap labor GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

You are one dumb fuck.
Of course not as you're too busy thinking you're too knowledgeable about it already.
I am NOT going to post article sentences for you as I suspect you're old enough and educated to actually read an article.

In other words, you didn't read the article.

All I really have to say is this...to more I learn about economics, the more I see Reagan's era pointed to as a failure rather than a success...which is odd when you consider that Conservatives seem to hail him as the second coming of Christ.

Killing the malaise, high inflation and high unemployment of Carter's term.....yeah, failure. Durr.
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you talk about malaise. However, I am glad you brought up unemployment...since Reagan is one of the worst presidents in modern history for that statistic.

United States Unemployment Rates by President, 1948-2016

Here you can clearly see that unemployment rose, DRASTICALLY under Reagan's policies...it wasn't that he came in with a recession in full swing (like Obama), the recession occurred right in the middle of his first term as president. Again, right wingers refuse to look at basic statistics and facts and would rather dance about happily like a 3-year old girl pretending that Reagan is the princess of their castle.
And where was unemployment at the end of his Administration?

You see, Reagan had to whip double digit inflation and a stagnant economy, and to do so, a recession was necessary. Reagan was under a lot of pressure to quit his plan due to the recession, but he had balls and stuck to his guns, and he was proven right.

Only someone completely ignorant of the period would not know these things and the greatness of Reagan's achievement of defeating a stagnation which had taken down two Presidents before him.

You posted the unemployment rate. Now look at the other half of the picture, dipshit: Historical Inflation Rates: 1914-2016
I'm glad you posted that...now please link me to how inflation measures an economic recession...because I've never seen people use inflation as a measure to determine a recession I've only seen them use measurements related to unemployment or GDP (remember that using inflation as a measure is different from using it in an explanatory fashion). The point was to use economic measures that are directly linked to how well (or poorly) an economy is performing to measure performance. I left it out on purpose...because it doesn't matter. Inflation can be a bit uncomfortable, but, at the end of the day, it doesn't mean much. You get paid more to deal with the higher prices. Who cares? The point was to indicate that Reagan experienced a recession while Carter did not. As the idiot who I was responding to tried to confuse the fact that Carter performed economically poorly in comparison to Reagan...a verifiably false statement.

The main issue with Reagan's recession is that while he may not have been the sole cause of it, it is undeniable that his policies exacerbated it. Even he knew this as the way he began to draw us out of his recession was by rolling back the policies that he implemented which contributed to it. The issue many people conflate is that they see him draw us out of the recession by making policy changes (and he did), but they forget that it was his own policies that he had implemented that he was changing.

1. Character: Reagan's hands-off leadership style manifested into an inability to control his administration from potentially illegal activities, e.g. the "Iran-Contra" scandal. His "troika," the nickname given to Chief of Staff James Baker, Deputy Chief of Staff Michael Deaver, and Counselor Edwin Meese, made many of Reagan's key administrative decisions for him.

2. Crime: In a Sep. 28, 1981 speech to the International Chiefs of Police, Reagan claimed that people who commit violent crimes "are not desperate people seeking bread for their families; crime is the way they've chosen to live." This attitude failed to address the stark realities underlying crime, namely the national culture of poverty and discrimination. Violent crime nationwide increased 21% from 1981-1989. The "War on Drugs" wasted billions of dollars and escalated drug-related crime.

3. Defense: Reagan increased the defense budget for an unprecedented six consecutive years. This spending produced an unsustainable bubble in the defense industry that led to decades of restructuring. By the early 1990s the defense industry had too many factories and too many workers to support with its smaller budgets. For example, in the early 1980s there were 50 large defense suppliers to the US government. By 2004 there were five.

4. Economy: Reagan pledged during his 1980 campaign for president to balance the federal budget, but never submitted a balanced budget in his eight years in office. In 1981, the deficit was $79 billion and, in 1986, at the peak of his deficit spending, it stood at $221 billion. The federal debt was $994 billion when he took office in 1981 and grew to $2.9 trillion when his second term ended in 1989. Reagan also added more trade barriers than any other president since Hoover in 1930. US imports that were subject to some form of trade restraint increased from 12% in 1980 to 23% in 1988.

5. Education: In his two terms in office, Reagan slashed federal aid to schools by more than $1 billion, and he cut the Department of Education budget by 19%. One of Reagan's campaign promises was to abolish the Department of Education, which he considered a "bureaucratic boondoggle." After intermittent attempts to fulfill this promise, he gave up in 1983 due to lack of Congressional support.

6. Environment: As a president who said "trees cause more pollution than automobiles do," Reagan issued leases for oil, gas, and coal development on tens of millions of acres of national lands. Reagan's appointee to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Anne Gorsuch, tried to gut the 1972 Clean Water Act, cut EPA funding by 25%, and mismanaged a $1.6 billion program to clean up hazardous waste dumps.

7. Foreign Policy: Reagan broke his own vows not to make deals with terrorists or states that aided them. In the "Iran-Contra" scandal, Reagan's administration bypassed congressional restrictions on aiding Nicaragua's Contra guerilla fighters, in part by diverting money to them from the sale of missiles to Iran. Reagan also initiated military involvement in Libya, Grenada, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Lebanon.

8. Health: Reagan almost completely ignored the growing AIDS epidemic. Although the first case of AIDS was discovered in the early 1980s, Reagan never publicly addressed the epidemic until May 31, 1987 when he spoke at an AIDS conference in Washington, DC. By that time, 36,058 Americans had been diagnosed with the disease and 20,849 had died.

9. Labor: On Aug. 3, 1981, Reagan ordered 12,176 striking air traffic controllers (PATCO) back to their jobs, disregarding the workers' complaints of stress, staff shortages, and outdated equipment. PATCO was one of the few unions that had endorsed Reagan in the 1980 election. Reagan repaid them by giving them only 48 hours to cancel the strike and banning them from federal service for life. The ban was not lifted until 1993 by President Bill Clinton.

10. Science/Technology: Reagan's over-ambitious space-based laser strategic defensive system, the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) or "Star Wars," proved to be too technically complex and expensive to complete. From its inception in 1983 to its demise in 1993, the program cost taxpayers $33 billion dollars.

11. Social Policy: Reagan believed that widespread freeloading plagued welfare and social programs. As Reagan slashed spending in his first term on programs such as food stamps and subsidized housing, the poverty rate climbed from 12% to 15% and unemployment rose from 7% to 11%.

12. Taxes: Reagan's "voodoo" economic policy, where tax cuts were believed to somehow generate tax revenues, failed to account for his administration's excessive spending which increased from $591 billion in 1980 to $1.2 trillion in 1990. Reagan both increased and cut taxes. In 1980, middle-income families with children paid 8.2% in income taxes and 9.5% in payroll taxes. By 1988 their income tax was down to 6.6%, but payroll tax was up to 11.8%, a combined increase in taxes. Reagan pushed through Social Security tax increases of $165 billion over seven years.

13. Other: Reagan opposed many important civil rights measures that further alienated him and the Republican Party from African-Americans. On Mar. 16, 1988, Reagan vetoed the Civil Rights Restoration Act. He was opposed to extending provisions of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. He initially opposed making Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday a national holiday. He was also loyal to apartheid South Africa, considering that country a friend and ally.

Side notes.

Ronald Reagan's economic advisor was Milton Friedman, the creator of the economic philosophy that says that there is no such a thing as a free lunch.
Technically that is true, however that doesn't pay the bill, or absolve society of its responsibilities to the country.
And his economics have been responsible for almost every single economic downturn in recent American political history.
Milton Friedman is amongst the worst economists ever, right along side the French economist that created "Laissez Faire".

If everything you are saying is true, how could Jimmy Carter lose to him??

1. Character: Reagan's hands-off leadership style manifested into an inability to control his administration from potentially illegal activities, e.g. the "Iran-Contra" scandal. His "troika," the nickname given to Chief of Staff James Baker, Deputy Chief of Staff Michael Deaver, and Counselor Edwin Meese, made many of Reagan's key administrative decisions for him.

2. Crime: In a Sep. 28, 1981 speech to the International Chiefs of Police, Reagan claimed that people who commit violent crimes "are not desperate people seeking bread for their families; crime is the way they've chosen to live." This attitude failed to address the stark realities underlying crime, namely the national culture of poverty and discrimination. Violent crime nationwide increased 21% from 1981-1989. The "War on Drugs" wasted billions of dollars and escalated drug-related crime.

3. Defense: Reagan increased the defense budget for an unprecedented six consecutive years. This spending produced an unsustainable bubble in the defense industry that led to decades of restructuring. By the early 1990s the defense industry had too many factories and too many workers to support with its smaller budgets. For example, in the early 1980s there were 50 large defense suppliers to the US government. By 2004 there were five.

4. Economy: Reagan pledged during his 1980 campaign for president to balance the federal budget, but never submitted a balanced budget in his eight years in office. In 1981, the deficit was $79 billion and, in 1986, at the peak of his deficit spending, it stood at $221 billion. The federal debt was $994 billion when he took office in 1981 and grew to $2.9 trillion when his second term ended in 1989. Reagan also added more trade barriers than any other president since Hoover in 1930. US imports that were subject to some form of trade restraint increased from 12% in 1980 to 23% in 1988.

5. Education: In his two terms in office, Reagan slashed federal aid to schools by more than $1 billion, and he cut the Department of Education budget by 19%. One of Reagan's campaign promises was to abolish the Department of Education, which he considered a "bureaucratic boondoggle." After intermittent attempts to fulfill this promise, he gave up in 1983 due to lack of Congressional support.

6. Environment: As a president who said "trees cause more pollution than automobiles do," Reagan issued leases for oil, gas, and coal development on tens of millions of acres of national lands. Reagan's appointee to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Anne Gorsuch, tried to gut the 1972 Clean Water Act, cut EPA funding by 25%, and mismanaged a $1.6 billion program to clean up hazardous waste dumps.

7. Foreign Policy: Reagan broke his own vows not to make deals with terrorists or states that aided them. In the "Iran-Contra" scandal, Reagan's administration bypassed congressional restrictions on aiding Nicaragua's Contra guerilla fighters, in part by diverting money to them from the sale of missiles to Iran. Reagan also initiated military involvement in Libya, Grenada, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Lebanon.

8. Health: Reagan almost completely ignored the growing AIDS epidemic. Although the first case of AIDS was discovered in the early 1980s, Reagan never publicly addressed the epidemic until May 31, 1987 when he spoke at an AIDS conference in Washington, DC. By that time, 36,058 Americans had been diagnosed with the disease and 20,849 had died.

9. Labor: On Aug. 3, 1981, Reagan ordered 12,176 striking air traffic controllers (PATCO) back to their jobs, disregarding the workers' complaints of stress, staff shortages, and outdated equipment. PATCO was one of the few unions that had endorsed Reagan in the 1980 election. Reagan repaid them by giving them only 48 hours to cancel the strike and banning them from federal service for life. The ban was not lifted until 1993 by President Bill Clinton.

10. Science/Technology: Reagan's over-ambitious space-based laser strategic defensive system, the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) or "Star Wars," proved to be too technically complex and expensive to complete. From its inception in 1983 to its demise in 1993, the program cost taxpayers $33 billion dollars.

11. Social Policy: Reagan believed that widespread freeloading plagued welfare and social programs. As Reagan slashed spending in his first term on programs such as food stamps and subsidized housing, the poverty rate climbed from 12% to 15% and unemployment rose from 7% to 11%.

12. Taxes: Reagan's "voodoo" economic policy, where tax cuts were believed to somehow generate tax revenues, failed to account for his administration's excessive spending which increased from $591 billion in 1980 to $1.2 trillion in 1990. Reagan both increased and cut taxes. In 1980, middle-income families with children paid 8.2% in income taxes and 9.5% in payroll taxes. By 1988 their income tax was down to 6.6%, but payroll tax was up to 11.8%, a combined increase in taxes. Reagan pushed through Social Security tax increases of $165 billion over seven years.

13. Other: Reagan opposed many important civil rights measures that further alienated him and the Republican Party from African-Americans. On Mar. 16, 1988, Reagan vetoed the Civil Rights Restoration Act. He was opposed to extending provisions of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. He initially opposed making Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday a national holiday. He was also loyal to apartheid South Africa, considering that country a friend and ally.

Side notes.

Ronald Reagan's economic advisor was Milton Friedman, the creator of the economic philosophy that says that there is no such a thing as a free lunch.
Technically that is true, however that doesn't pay the bill, or absolve society of its responsibilities to the country.
And his economics have been responsible for almost every single economic downturn in recent American political history.
Milton Friedman is amongst the worst economists ever, right along side the French economist that created "Laissez Faire".

Reagan's "friends" invoked an oil embargo.

Side notes.

Because Ronald Reagan was a hollywood actor, and the voting age public in the early 1980s were socially aristocratic, and racially bigoted, and ignorant of the consequences of Ronald Reagan's ideas and those of his affiliations because they never lived under deregulation before... and they got greedy and starting believing themselves to have some right to just rob people for a living, and Ronald Reagan fit the bill for that.

And unfortunately there is no qualifiers in place to be the president, other than being born of American citizen parents, and being 35 or older, and elected.

Last edited:

You are one dumb fuck.

In other words, you still have no back up for your claims.

By esclating the arms race, Reagan broke the USSR's bank. They couldn't keep up.

You see, Reagan knew something. He knew the USSR's defense posture was all a huge sham. They were nowhere near the big badass they had the commie symps in the West believing they were.

Reagan had inside information to the contrary, and he had the balls to act on it.

So, yeah, Reagan spent money like crazy. Yes he did. But he did it to break the USSR. And it worked.

No retard will ever convince me Reagan was nothing other than one of our greatest Presidents.
I literally just attended a speech by one of the USSR's former economic advisers (Yuri Maltsev) who defected to the US during this period. You know how often he mentioned Reagan as the reason for the Soviet Union collapsing? Zero. The USSR imploded on itself, due to how it was ran and its economic policies...don't confuse that with anything Reagan did.

Gorbachev destroyed the USSR with glasnost and perestroika. We're lucky Raygun's ridiculous bluster didn't bring back the hardliners. S+L scandal/recession, anyone? A disaster of pander to the greedy rich and fooling the dupes we're still seeing play out...

Gorbachev destroyed the USSR with glasnost and perestroika. We're lucky Raygun's ridiculous bluster didn't bring back the hardliners. S+L scandal/recession, anyone? A disaster of pander to the greedy rich and fooling the dupes we're still seeing play out...

Gorbachev destroyed the USSR with glasnost and perestroika

Give the slaves a little freedom and they rise up, eh comrade?

And their hardliners couldn't have fixed their crappy economy.

You are one dumb fuck.

As a prior post stated a few days ago, you are either a liar or an idiot.

One time his teleprompter broke, and he kept yelling "LINE!" to Donald Regan.

You are one dumb fuck.

By the way, you never did tell us how young you are.
10?

Forum List

Back