Ronald Reagan Facts

All I really have to say is this...to more I learn about economics, the more I see Reagan's era pointed to as a failure rather than a success...which is odd when you consider that Conservatives seem to hail him as the second coming of Christ.

Killing the malaise, high inflation and high unemployment of Carter's term.....yeah, failure. Durr.

All I really have to say is this...to more I learn about economics, the more I see Reagan's era pointed to as a failure rather than a success...which is odd when you consider that Conservatives seem to hail him as the second coming of Christ.

Killing the malaise, high inflation and high unemployment of Carter's term.....yeah, failure. Durr.
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you talk about malaise. However, I am glad you brought up unemployment...since Reagan is one of the worst presidents in modern history for that statistic.

United States Unemployment Rates by President, 1948-2016

Here you can clearly see that unemployment rose, DRASTICALLY under Reagan's policies...it wasn't that he came in with a recession in full swing (like Obama), the recession occurred right in the middle of his first term as president. Again, right wingers refuse to look at basic statistics and facts and would rather dance about happily like a 3-year old girl pretending that Reagan is the princess of their castle.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you talk about malaise. However, I am glad you brought up unemployment...since Reagan is one of the worst presidents in modern history for that statistic.

Here you can clearly see that unemployment rose, DRASTICALLY under Reagan's policies...it wasn't that he came in with a recession in full swing (like Obama), the recession occurred right in the middle of his first term as president. Again, right wingers refuse to look at basic statistics and facts and would rather dance about happily like a 3-year old girl pretending that Reagan is the princess of their castle.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you talk about malaise.

How old were you during the Carter presidency?

the recession occurred right in the middle of his first term as president.

And why do you think that recession occurred?

....like a 3-year old girl pretending....

Yes, your projection is noted.

Did you seriously just ask me questions when I pointed out large holes in your one sentence statement? Scared of making more statements that are easily disproved I take it?

The Social Security Amendments of 1983. He accelerated scheduled tax increases and required the self employed to pay what would have been the employers rate had they been employed. He also started taxing the benefits of higher income beneficiaries.
Social Security Amendments of 1983 (1983 - H.R. 1900)

He accelerated scheduled tax increases

So he didn't come up with the rate increases, they were already scheduled. He moved the increases forward a few years.
Thanks.
So, what is your point and how does it relate to what the OP posted.

In 1980, middle-income families with children paid 8.2% in income taxes and 9.5% in payroll taxes. By 1988 their income tax was down to 6.6%, but payroll tax was up to 11.8%, a combined increase in taxes.

The OP made it sound like Reagan raised net taxes on middle-income families.
Your source showed the payroll hikes would have occurred by 1990, without Reagan taking action.
And he cut their income taxes.
Your source showed the payroll hikes would have occurred by 1990, without Reagan taking action.

At the same rate?

The same rates were implemented sooner.
That is not entirely accurate but never mind, you admit Reagan raised taxes.

Did you seriously just ask me questions when I pointed out large holes in your one sentence statement? Scared of making more statements that are easily disproved I take it?

Did you seriously just ask me questions

Do you seriously not know the answers?

He accelerated scheduled tax increases

So he didn't come up with the rate increases, they were already scheduled. He moved the increases forward a few years.
Thanks.

In 1980, middle-income families with children paid 8.2% in income taxes and 9.5% in payroll taxes. By 1988 their income tax was down to 6.6%, but payroll tax was up to 11.8%, a combined increase in taxes.

At the same rate?

I admit.....Reagan moved the planned increases in payroll taxes....forward.
While dropping the top income tax rate from 70% to 28%.

At the same rate?

Yes, by moving them forward he raised them from what they would have been had they not been moved forward. Durr

If you want to make a point or a statement I'm 100% willing to engage in a discussion. On the other hand, I'm not going to sit around and answer your questions like I'm your teacher or parent. You can google that stuff if you are so curious.

At the same rate?

Yes, by moving them forward he raised them from what they would have been had they not been moved forward. Durr

Yes, in 1983, the rates were going to be:
1983-6.7%
1984-6.7%
1985-7.05%
1986-7.15%
1987-7.15%
1988-7.15%
1989-7.15%
1990-7.65%

After Reagan signed the Social Security Amendments of 1983 into Law.....

1983-6.7%
1984-7.0%
1985-7.05%
1986-7.15%
1987-7.15%
1988-7.51%
1989-7.51%
1990-7.65%

Social Security History

If you want to make a point or a statement I'm 100% willing to engage in a discussion. On the other hand, I'm not going to sit around and answer your questions like I'm your teacher or parent. You can google that stuff if you are so curious.

On the other hand, I'm not going to sit around and answer your questions like I'm your teacher or parent.

More like you're my student or child.
Your ignorance of the connection between Carter and malaise leads me to believe you're very young.

Your ignorance of the cause of the Reagan recession leads to the same conclusion.

On the other hand, I'm not going to sit around and answer your questions like I'm your teacher or parent.

Your ignorance of the connection between Carter and malaise leads me to believe you're very young.

Your ignorance of the cause of the Reagan recession leads to the same conclusion.
You say that, but you refrain from actually making a statement that can be discussed. Considering that the only statement you have actually made has been verifiably false...it more seems that you are unwilling to assert your points rather than anything else. Again, if you want to make a statement about what you think to be true I don't mind debating. On the other hand, I'm not going to be your teacher...just go back to school kid.

Edit: Unless you make an actual statement regarding what you believe to be the economics of the time (remember I'm the guy who has actually taken economic courses in university), then I will further refrain from engaging you in debate since you seem to be so unwilling to make a point like your last that I easily proved to be untrue.

You say that, but you refrain from actually making a statement that can be discussed. Considering that the only statement you have actually made has been verifiably false...it more seems that you are unwilling to assert your points rather than anything else. Again, if you want to make a statement about what you think to be true I don't mind debating. On the other hand, I'm not going to be your teacher...just go back to school kid.

Considering that the only statement you have actually made has been verifiably false...

Which statement was that?

On the other hand, I'm not going to be your teacher...

Considering your ignorance on the subject, that's a good thing, son.

The heart of the democrat party created "scandal" know as "Iran Contra" was a violation of an obscure amendment inserted into a military appropriations bill (while nobody was looking), by a left wing senator to undermine the U.S.'s ability to fight Communist infiltration into Central America. In itself Iran Contra was much ado about nothing. Compared to the Kennedy brothers using the freaking CIA to raise, train and equip an illegal invasion army which was abandoned on a Cuban beach Iran Contra looks like child's play.

Face it...you'll never read an article not on USMB and you are incapable of abstracting information.

You'll never post a real source on Supply Side Economics.
Because if you did, it would show the idiocy of your previous claims.

Uh, no, because according to you R = Good, D = Bad.
You see, the definition of Supply Side was fulfilled by Reagan and his Corporate contributors selling out the Middle Class.
And I have yet to see you ONCE post disproving this fact.

You see, the definition of Supply Side was fulfilled by Reagan and his Corporate contributors selling out the Middle Class.

If only you could find that definition from a real source. Instead of pulling it out of your ass.

Let me help you out.....

Supply-side economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let me know if you find any back up for your claims at that link.

Wow! That's the article I posted and you wouldn't read it.
That article explains the theory, NOT how it was implemented.
Of course, you would only accept that fact if the theory was implemented by a Democrat.
Now stop being stupid and accept the fact that Reagan gave the Financial World permission to finance Global Cheap Labor.
Which, of course, led to Black Monday.

Wow! That's the article I posted and you wouldn't read it.

Wow! You posted an article that didn't prove your claim. Hilarious!

That article explains the theory,

That's weird, because we're talking about an economic theory.

accept the fact that Reagan gave the Financial World permission to finance Global Cheap Labor.

Did he give them this permission in a law? A speech? An article?
Any link you have to prove this claim would be great.

Which, of course, led to Black Monday.

Still funny!

Nothing is funny.
What is pathetic is that your ideology blinds you as to how the theory was implemented by your phony hero.

Considering that the only statement you have actually made has been verifiably false...

The subject is simple enough to gratify a Republican...cheap labor GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

The subject is simple enough to gratify a Republican...cheap labor GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Where does Supply Side Theory say cheap labor is good?

Where does Supply Side Theory say cheap labor is good?

You are one dumb fuck.
Did you actually read the article?
Of course not as you're too busy thinking you're too knowledgeable about it already.
I am NOT going to post article sentences for you as I suspect you're old enough and educated to actually read an article.
Now stop embarrassing yourself.

And where was unemployment at the end of his Administration?

You see, Reagan had to whip double digit inflation and a stagnant economy, and to do so, a recession was necessary. Reagan was under a lot of pressure to quit his plan due to the recession, but he had balls and stuck to his guns, and he was proven right.

Only someone completely ignorant of the period would not know these things and the greatness of Reagan's achievement of defeating a stagnation which had taken down two Presidents before him.

You posted the unemployment rate. Now look at the other half of the picture, dipshit: Historical Inflation Rates: 1914-2016

At the same rate?

Yes that is a basic criticism of Reagan. He cut taxes for the wealthy and increased taxes for everyone else.

Forum List

Back