Roosevelt: The Poorest of Students.

djia.png

So we agree....you can't find anyway to show that I am incorrect?
Every single thing I posted is correct????

Excellent.

And another one bites the dust.

No Stop it....you are just spouting nonsense......I can't take it

Harding faced similar economic conditions as Roosevelt?

Foghorn_Leghorn_laughing.gif

Again?

No problem:

1. America’s greatest depression fighter was Warren Gamaliel Harding. An Ohio senator when he was elected president in 1920, he followed Woodrow Wilson who got America into World War I, ...Harding inherited the mess, in particular the post-World War I depression – almost as severe, from peak to trough, as the Great Contraction from 1929 to 1933, that FDR inherited and prolonged. Richard K. Vedder and Lowell E. Gallaway, in their book Out of Work (1993), noted that the magnitude of the 1920 depression "exceeded that for the Great Depression of the following decade for several quarters." The estimated gross national product plunged 24% from $91.5 billion in 1920 to $69.6 billion in 1921. The number of unemployed people jumped from 2.1 million in 1920 to 4.9 million in 1921.

2. Compared to FDR, Harding had a much better understanding of how an economy works. Harding, wrote historian Robert K. Murray, in The Harding Era (1969), "always decried high taxes, government waste, and excessive governmental interference in the private sector of the economy. In February 1920, shortly after announcing his candidacy, he advocated a cut in government expenditures and stated that government ought to ‘strike the shackles from industry.’ ‘We need vastly more freedom than we do regulation,’ he said. Surprisingly, big business took very little notice of him at the time."

3. Harding had the depression of 1920 licked in a year and a half, but under the "progressive" FDR, the Great Depression would persisted throughout the 1930s, until FDR began conscripting millions of young men for the armed forces.
America’s Greatest Depression*Fighter by Jim Powell
America’s Greatest Depression Fighter by Jim Powell
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/226645/not-so-great-depression/jim-powell

Harding had the depression of 1920 licked in a year and a half, but under the "progressive" FDR, the Great Depression would persisted throughout the 1930s,

I love it when you serve my purposes....

Don't hesitate to ask again.
Too funny....keep it up

Unemployment+rate+graph.jpg

Can you find anything in my posts that is not accurate, correct, and true?

No?

Excellent.

Come on PC...tell us again

"Harding faced similar economic conditions as FDR"

Guess this is what you get for copying and pasting your way through Columbia University. What EXACTLY in this graph is "similar"

2. Here is an interesting visual: imagine a triple line of the unemployed, three across, consisting of those unemployed under Hoover, in 1931. The line would have gone from Los Angeles, across the country, to the border of Maine.

What effect did Roosevelt have on the line?

Well, eight years later, in 1939, the length of the line would have gone further, from the Maine border, south to Boston, then on to New York City, then to Philadelphia, on to Washington, D.C.- and finally, into Virginia.
Folsom, "New Deal or Raw Deal"

Same crap the OP has posted numerous times, and been debunked numerous times, and one of the examples used to discredit the Folsom book :New Deal or Raw Deal". Left out of the story are the almost five million employed in the public works programs that were building infrastructure all over the country. Those five million workers were considered by Folsom and still by the OP to have been on relief because the projects were "government funded, hence, not to be part of the actual work force and thus, "unemployed". According to the OP's calculations, workers collecting paychecks for building the Lincoln Tunnel into Manhatten or the Blue Ridge Parkway were not really employed.

Nothing I've posted has ever been 'debunked.'

Let's have you prove my posts to be totally accurate and correct:

Did FDR promise to reverse Hoover's policies....that he claimed caused the recession....and then FDR went right ahead and compounded the same policies.

True or not.

Speak up, you dunce.
The line of unemployed stretch across America is bullshit. Unemployment in both the industrial/private sector and the general population began dropping as soon as the New Deal was implemented. The line did not get longer, it got shorter.

Here is an interesting visual: imagine a triple line of the unemployed, three across, consisting of those unemployed under Hoover, in 1931. The line would have gone from Los Angeles, across the country, to the border of Maine.

Well, eight years later, in 1939, the length of the line would have gone further, from the Maine border, south to Boston, then on to New York City, then to Philadelphia, on to Washington, D.C.- and finally, into Virginia.

Think Folsom was wrong?

Check it out at the US Bureau of the Census, 'Historical Statistics of the United States: Colonial Times to 1970, I-126 and Unemployment Statistics during the Great Depression

I've reduced you to vulgarity this quickly?
Soo......you know you've been destroyed, huh?

The poorest of students and the greatest of presidents.

He made the economic turndown last twice as long as any of the previous fifty or so.

That's your definition of 'great'?

You must be a dunce, huh?

You can spend your time day after day going on and on with your endless diatribes against Roosevelt but you'll never be right.

You're as wrong as wrong can be.

I'm always right.

Or.....did you find anything in my posts that was incorrect, inaccurate, or provably wrong?

No?

Excellent.

And....thank you for the usual 'is not, issss nootttttt!' post.

Don't ever change.

Come on PC...Flaunt that Columbia education

Show us what about Harding's economic conditions were "similar"

skitch%20fed%20graph.png

So we agree....you can't find anyway to show that I am incorrect?
Every single thing I posted is correct????

Excellent.

And another one bites the dust.

Again?

No problem:

1. America’s greatest depression fighter was Warren Gamaliel Harding. An Ohio senator when he was elected president in 1920, he followed Woodrow Wilson who got America into World War I, ...Harding inherited the mess, in particular the post-World War I depression – almost as severe, from peak to trough, as the Great Contraction from 1929 to 1933, that FDR inherited and prolonged. Richard K. Vedder and Lowell E. Gallaway, in their book Out of Work (1993), noted that the magnitude of the 1920 depression "exceeded that for the Great Depression of the following decade for several quarters." The estimated gross national product plunged 24% from $91.5 billion in 1920 to $69.6 billion in 1921. The number of unemployed people jumped from 2.1 million in 1920 to 4.9 million in 1921.

2. Compared to FDR, Harding had a much better understanding of how an economy works. Harding, wrote historian Robert K. Murray, in The Harding Era (1969), "always decried high taxes, government waste, and excessive governmental interference in the private sector of the economy. In February 1920, shortly after announcing his candidacy, he advocated a cut in government expenditures and stated that government ought to ‘strike the shackles from industry.’ ‘We need vastly more freedom than we do regulation,’ he said. Surprisingly, big business took very little notice of him at the time."

3. Harding had the depression of 1920 licked in a year and a half, but under the "progressive" FDR, the Great Depression would persisted throughout the 1930s, until FDR began conscripting millions of young men for the armed forces.
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/226645/not-so-great-depression/jim-powell

Harding had the depression of 1920 licked in a year and a half, but under the "progressive" FDR, the Great Depression would persisted throughout the 1930s,

Too funny....keep it up

No?

Excellent.

Guess this is what you get for copying and pasting your way through Columbia University. What EXACTLY in this graph is "similar"

"Come on PC...tell us again

I don't have to.....Vedder and Gallaway did.

Richard K. Vedder and Lowell E. Gallaway, in their book Out of Work (1993), noted that the magnitude of the 1920 depression "exceeded that for the Great Depression of the following decade for several quarters."

In these posts, I have reminded all that Republican Harding came into office facing similar economic problems to Roosevelt's:
She left out that it wasn't a world wide depression, just a recession..Post war recession..Harding the progressives passed the Volt act, outlawing alcohol, and giving women the vote..

"giving women the vote.."

It was the Republicans who gave women the vote.

Democrats, the party of slavery, segregation, and second-class citizenship fought bitterly and tirelessly to prevent women, and blacks, from having the vote.

Challenge me on that.

The silence is deafening.....I accept your white flag.
I don't like showing my ignorance, but I just can't see your point, Ms Chic. How is discrediting FDR (that 'traitor to his class') related to today's decisions for the Presidency? You clearly cherry-pick, but even if that were not so and you think that period of our history could have been done better, your one-sided tirades are lost on me. Get simple and tell me what you want me to learn.

Mull this over.

1. While "The Depression" is probably the only economic downturn ever studied in government schools, few ever speak of any depressions or recessions prior to the "Great Depression."
Know how many there were?
Over thirty. And the average length was a couple of years.
List of recessions in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. "The Great Depression (1929-39) was the deepest and longest-lasting economic downturn in the history of the Western industrialized world. In the United States, ..." http://www.history.com/topics/great-depression
OK....so maybe Franklin Roosevelt was actually trying to end the depression.....never mind that he made it last longer, by a multiple of five, from most previous depressions/recessions.....

It sure was a good excuse for overturning the Constitution.

3. Roosevelt groupies might contend that it that Franklin Roosevelt wasn't a poor manager, after all, wasn't the Depression a worldwide phenomenon???
Let's see.

The League of Nations collected data from many nations throughout the 1930s onindustrial production, unemployment, national debt, and taxes.
How did Roosevelt's United States compare with other countries?

In all four of these key indexes the United States did very poorly, almost worse than any other nation in the study.

Most European nations handled the Great Depression better than the United States.
World Economic Survey: Eighth Year, 1938/1939 (Geneva: League of Nations, 1939) p.128, quoted in "New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America," by Burton W. Folsom Jr

Know why other nations handled it better?
'Cause they didn't have wanna-be dictator Roosevelt in charge.

So...not only did the "great" Emperor Franklin the First manage to extend and magnify the depression, but he couldn't compete with the leaders of most European nations.

"Great" seems to have developed a new definition.

2. Here is an interesting visual: imagine a triple line of the unemployed, three across, consisting of those unemployed under Hoover, in 1931. The line would have gone from Los Angeles, across the country, to the border of Maine.

Same crap the OP has posted numerous times, and been debunked numerous times, and one of the examples used to discredit the Folsom book :New Deal or Raw Deal". Left out of the story are the almost five million employed in the public works programs that were building infrastructure all over the country. Those five million workers were considered by Folsom and still by the OP to have been on relief because the projects were "government funded, hence, not to be part of the actual work force and thus, "unemployed". According to the OP's calculations, workers collecting paychecks for building the Lincoln Tunnel into Manhatten or the Blue Ridge Parkway were not really employed.

Did FDR promise to reverse Hoover's policies....that he claimed caused the recession....and then FDR went right ahead and compounded the same policies.

True or not.

Speak up, you dunce.
The line of unemployed stretch across America is bullshit. Unemployment in both the industrial/private sector and the general population began dropping as soon as the New Deal was implemented. The line did not get longer, it got shorter.

Here is an interesting visual: imagine a triple line of the unemployed, three across, consisting of those unemployed under Hoover, in 1931. The line would have gone from Los Angeles, across the country, to the border of Maine.

Think Folsom was wrong?

Check it out at the US Bureau of the Census, 'Historical Statistics of the United States: Colonial Times to 1970, I-126 and Unemployment Statistics during the Great Depression

This is how the OP operates. How could her dopey line of unemployed have increased in size under FDR if the unemployment rate in all categories was reduced?

fraser.stlouisfed.org/docs/meltzer/maremp93.pdf

The link provides unemployment figures using both methods of calculating unemployment and describes how the OP tries to manipulate those figures to support her nonsense.

Again?

No problem:

Too funny....keep it up

No?

Excellent.

Richard K. Vedder and Lowell E. Gallaway, in their book Out of Work (1993), noted that the magnitude of the 1920 depression "exceeded that for the Great Depression of the following decade for several quarters."

And based on any economic measure other than Conservative economic revisionism, they are full of shit aren't they?

True or not.

Speak up, you dunce.

Think Folsom was wrong?

This is how the OP operates. How could her dopey line of unemployed have increased in size under FDR if the unemployment rate in all categories was reduced?

fraser.stlouisfed.org/docs/meltzer/maremp93.pdf

The link provides unemployment figures using both methods of calculating unemployment and describes how the OP tries to manipulate those figures to support her nonsense.

Think Folsom was wrong?

Again?

No problem:

Too funny....keep it up

No?

Excellent.

And based on any economic measure other than Conservative economic revisionism, they are full of shit aren't they?

A defining characteristic: on my side of the aisle, facts and knowledge; on your side of the aisle, profanity and vulgarity. Seems I've scored another point against ignorance, indoctrination and mythology.

Excellent.

Presidential Timeline: Democrat Wilson, Republican Harding, Republican Coolidge, Republican Hoover, Democrat Roosevelt....

Wilson's term ended with American troops held prisoner by the communists in Russia.

8. Now, then.....what is the lesson that Republican Harding taught that the slow-learner, Democrat Franklin Roosevelt should have learned vis-a-vis dealing with the incipient 'Evil Empire'?

Watch:

"President Harding responded with conditions- for any America aid as laid out in what is known as the Riga Agreement.
"The sine qua non of any assistance on the part of the American aid," the 1921 agreement said, was the release of "all Americans detained in Russia." Such aid would be suspended or terminated "in case of failure on the part of the Soviet Authorities to fully comply with this primary condition." Diana West, "American Betrayal," p. 311.

Many were immediately freed.

Of course....one cannot know how many were remaining. "Refugees fleeing Red Russia throughout the 1920s said that there were.....American soldiers in Lubyanka Prison in 1927 and 'many' more in the Solovetsky Islands slave labor camp...." Ibid.

Fast forward to 1933: Franklin Roosevelt embraces the USSR and gives recognition that now previous President nor Sec'y of State would provide.

Free of charge, and without Ronald Reagan's demands for verification: "Trust, but verify."

Know what I'm about to show about Democrat Roosevelt vis-a-vis the Soviet Communists?

Get ready.

Too funny....keep it up

No?

Excellent.

A defining characteristic: on my side of the aisle, facts and knowledge; on your side of the aisle, profanity and vulgarity. Seems I've scored another point against ignorance, indoctrination and mythology.

Excellent.

Simple question

See if you can cut and paste this

Under which economic criteria did Harding remotely face "similar economic conditions" as faced by FDR?

Unemployment, Stock market, GDP....come on PC there has to be something?

No?

Excellent.

Excellent.

Simple question

Under which economic criteria did Harding remotely face "similar economic conditions" as faced by FDR?

No?

Excellent.

Oh...and Harding vs Roosevelt?
Harding inherited the mess, in particular the post-World War I depression – almost as severe, from peak to trough, as the Great Contraction from 1929 to 1933, that FDR inherited and prolonged. Richard K. Vedder and Lowell E. Gallaway, in their book Out of Work (1993), noted that the magnitude of the 1920 depression "exceeded that for the Great Depression of the following decade for several quarters." The estimated gross national product plunged 24% from $91.5 billion in 1920 to $69.6 billion in 1921. The number of unemployed people jumped from 2.1 million in 1920 to 4.9 million in 1921.

Excellent.

Simple question

No?

Excellent.

Harding inherited the mess, in particular the post-World War I depression – almost as severe, from peak to trough, as the Great Contraction from 1929 to 1933, that FDR inherited and prolonged. Richard K. Vedder and Lowell E. Gallaway, in their book Out of Work (1993), noted that the magnitude of the 1920 depression "exceeded that for the Great Depression of the following decade for several quarters." The estimated gross national product plunged 24% from $91.5 billion in 1920 to $69.6 billion in 1921. The number of unemployed people jumped from 2.1 million in 1920 to 4.9 million in 1921.

Nice cut and paste....Columbia would be proud

It also shows that Hardings numbers in no way approach what FDR faced

FDR say a 90% drop in the stock market...Harding saw a blip
Unemployment approached 30% under FDR

Excellent.

Simple question

No?

Excellent.

What???

You require even more of a spanking????

Sure.

'The decline in the GNP price deflator from 1920 to 1921 is the largest one-year percentage decline in the series in the more than 120 years covered.

Various estimates show that one-year deflation figures were 18 percent, 13.0 percent, and 14.8 percent, respectively. The closest comparator is the 11.5 percent deflation recorded for 1931-32, the third year of the Great Depression. Wholesale prices declined by 36.8 percent for 1920-21, the largest one-year decline on record, going back at least to the American Revolutionary War period. The 1921 deflation contains another striking feature. Not only was it sharp, it was large relative to the accompanying decline in real product. The ratio of the percentage decline in the GNP deflator for 1920-21 to the percentage decline in real GNP is 2.6 using the Department of Commerce figures. By contrast, during 1929-30, the first year of the Great Depression, the GNP deflator declined by 2.7 percent and real GNP by 9.4 percent, for a ratio of 0.3. The ratios of the percentage decline in GNP prices to the percentage decline in real GNP for 1930-31, 1931-32, 1932-33, and 1937-38, the other Great Depression years in which real GNP declined, were 1.0, 0.9, 1.2, and 0.3, respectively, all well below the 1920-21 figures.

Deflation was so sharp, both in itself and in relation to the decline in real product, because the deflation was produced by a sharp decline in aggregate demand combined with an increase in aggregate supply, a supply increase in which deflationary expectations played a prominent role.'
How to Create the Great(er) Depression II - Behind Blue Lines

Now....since we have proven that FDR went out of his way to make certain that the recession turned into a depression....and that it lasted multiple time longer than any previous recession.....

......can you tell why he did so....against the interests of the American people?

Why?

You'd think some people could learn the difference between the politics forum and the history forum.

Ms. PC craves attention much like Mr. Trump, she goes where the crowds are.

Are you able to find anything in my posts....to which you voluntarily subscribed.....that is inaccurate, incorrect, or untrue?

No?

So...you're is simply one more of the 'is not, issss nootttttt!' posts favored by Liberals?

Excellent.

Excellent.

Simple question

No?

Excellent.

Wait...did you mention Columbia....the school with the best fight song in the nation???

Well....several more than brave scholars come out of Columbia....(modesty prevents me from mentioning more than this one:)

John A. Garraty....he has written about the confluence of Franklin Roosevelt and Adolph Hitler....

1. Scholars have discovered that totalitarian philosophies have a social-egalitarian component that adds to the mass popularity of such regimes. Thus, not only National Socialism, with its belief that its racial doctrine entailed the promise of equality for all members of the German people, or ‘Volk,’ but if one can look beyond the repression and terror, the New Deal can be seen as a series of economic misadventures achieved through the force of mass propaganda, and owing its success solely to America’s victory in WWII.
    1. In an insightful analysis, John A. Garraty compared Roosevelt’s New Deal with aspects of the Third Reich: a strong leader; an ideology stressing the nation, the people and the land; state control of economic and social affairs; and the quality and quantity of government propaganda. Garraty, “The New Deal, National Socialism, and the Great Depression,” American Historical Review, vol. 78 (1973) p. 907ff.
    2. Garraty reminds that to compare is not the same as to equate. Yet, many still find Garraty’s analysis too hot to handle.
Seems some are still afraid to reveal the truth about FDR...afraid of insipid loud-mouths like you.

Clearly, I am not.

For edification:
"John Arthur Garraty (July 4, 1920 – December 19, 2007) was an American historian andbiographer.[1] He specialized largely in American political and economic history.[2]

Garraty earned an undergraduate degree at Brooklyn College in 1941 and completed his doctorate at Columbia University in 1948. During World War II, he served in the United States Merchant Marine as a swimming instructor.[1] His 1953 biography, Henry Cabot Lodge (Knopf, 1953), was the first scholarly and authoritative life of the Massachusetts politician Henry Cabot Lodge (1850-1924); a notable feature of that book was the set of footnotes written at Garraty's invitation by Lodge's grandson, Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. (1902-1985), expressing disagreement with some of Garraty's interpretations and findings. He taught at Michigan State University for 12 years before joining the Columbia University History Department in 1959.[2]Garraty also served as the president of the Society of American Historians.[3] He retired from teaching at Columbia in 1990.[2]"
John A. Garraty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back....in the face of popular demand: more revelations about the 'Godfather of Leftism," Franklin Roosevelt.
Just the other day a Leftist said it was good to see I hadn't provided another chapter about FDR....so, here we go!

The most frequent, most rapid, most knee-jerk response from the Left about any candidate of the Republican candidates....and Republicans: "he's so stoooopid!!!"

"Trump and the cult of stupid" http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/288298-trump-and-the-cult-of-stupid

"How did Donald Trump get this rich, if he is as stupid as his speeches ..." How did Donald Trump get this rich, if he is as stupid as his speeches make him out to be? - Quora

"How the 'Stupid Party' Created Donald Trump - The New York Times" http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/01/opinion/how-the-stupid-party-created-donald-trump.html?_r=0

The irony, of course, is that the icon, the demigod, of the Democrat/Liberal perspective is Franklin Delano Roosevelt...who truly was, and provably so.....far less than an intellectual genius.

Let's light this candle:
"Roosevelt: The Poorest of Students"
Certainly not poor in the pecuniary sense, he was wealthy....just not capable of learning...poor in that ability.
And I'll prove it.
Let's start here:

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
So saith the 'American' philosopher George Santayana....
...could he have had Franklin Roosevelt in mind when he penned that foreboding?

1. In these posts, I have reminded all that Republican Harding came into office facing similar economic problems to Roosevelt's:

"...Harding inherited the mess, in particular the post-World War I depression – almost as severe, from peak to trough, as the Great Contraction from 1929 to 1933, that FDR inherited and prolonged. Richard K. Vedder and Lowell E. Gallaway, in their book "Out of Work", noted that the magnitude of the 1920 depression "exceeded that for the Great Depression of the following decade for several quarters." The estimated gross national product plunged 24% from $91.5 billion in 1920 to $69.6 billion in 1921. The number of unemployed people jumped from 2.1 million in 1920 to 4.9 million in 1921.

With Harding’s tax cuts, spending cuts and relatively non-interventionist economic policy, the gross national product rebounded to $74.1 billion in 1922. The number of unemployed fell to 2.8 million – a reported 6.7% of the labor force – in 1922. So, just a year and a half after Harding became president, the Roaring 20s were underway!"

2. Even more significant....Roosevelt knew of Harding's success during a comparable downturn...and promised to solve the economic turmoil by doing exactly what Harding did.

But he didn't do it. He did the very opposite. Duhhhhhh.....

a. " The federal government’s responses to the resulting recession took a bad situation and made it far, far worse.... Roosevelt did indeed make a difference, though probably not the sort of difference for which the country had hoped. He started off on the wrong foot when, in his inaugural address, he blamed the Depression on “unscrupulous money changers.” He said nothing about the role of the Fed’s mismanagement and little about the follies of Congress that had contributed to the problem. As a result of his efforts, the economy would linger in depression for the rest of the decade..... Roosevelt had pledged in 1932 to end the crisis, but it persisted two presidential terms and countless interventions later." Great Myths of the Great Depression | Lawrence W. Reed

'As a result of his efforts, the economy would linger in depression for the rest of the decade.....'
Really stupid, huh?

3. So....an abject failure at dealing with the economy.....very much as the current Democrat is.

Now, for foreign policy.....let's compare Franklin Roosevelt's ability to deal with the murderous dictatorship, the Soviet Union.....compared with an earlier President, that very same Republican, Harding, whose lessons in foreign policy, he could and should have learned as well.
But he didn't.

Roosevelt was just not capable of learning.

Proof...? Coming right up.

Right Wing Nut Jobs- still pissed off that the progressive FDR led the United States out of the Great Depression, to victory in World War 2- and brought Social Security, the GI Bill and Bank Depositors insurance to Americans.

PC is still pissed off that the United States didn't lose World War 2- just so he could call FDR a failure.

Forum List

Back