🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Russia cuts off Space Station

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Russia is to deny the US future use of the International Space Station beyond 2020 and will also bar its rocket engines from launching US military satellites as it hits back at American sanctions imposed over Ukraine crisis.
Russia’s deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin announced a series of punitive measures on Tuesday against the US in response to sanctions imposed after Russia annexed Crimea

Russia to ban US from using Space Station over Ukraine sanctions - Telegraph

Forgive me if this is a duplicate post , having said this, several things come to mind here. The first thing is it just brings into an even brighter light how far we as a nation have let our domestic space program fall. Even to the point where the Air Force has to buy rocket engines made in Russia and the Obama Administration has to mount a campaign to keep them going and at the same time tout sanctions against Russia. The ISS was about 90 percent constructed and funded by the American taxpayers, and on a personal level even though this might seem like a bad thing, it might finally provide a much needed kick in the backsides of those who need it here badly that there are some things you just dont outsource.

Well, if we are willing to spend the money, we have the technology to have much better rockets than Russia has in a period of two years. We also have a company that is already launching their own rockets, Space X, and, given the money, I bet they could ramp up with some interesting manned launch vehicles.

But if we are not willing to spend the money it will not be done. And if the President proposes doing that, the GOP will kill it out of spite, no matter what the need.

I think we should give the Russians the present station, and build one of our own, totally our own, that is a stepping stone to the moon and other planets. Again, it would cost a lot of money. And give our technology sector the boost that the Apollo program gave it.

Well, if we are willing to spend the money, we have the technology to have much better rockets than Russia has in a period of two years. We also have a company that is already launching their own rockets, Space X, and, given the money, I bet they could ramp up with some interesting manned launch vehicles.

But if we are not willing to spend the money it will not be done. And if the President proposes doing that, the GOP will kill it out of spite, no matter what the need.

I think we should give the Russians the present station, and build one of our own, totally our own, that is a stepping stone to the moon and other planets. Again, it would cost a lot of money. And give our technology sector the boost that the Apollo program gave it.

How do you propose we build anything? By importing more and more engineers from places like India and Malaysia?

Did you know that we didn't even know how to build a Nuclear Power Plant until we brought in Japanese and French Engineers to teach us about a technology that WE invented?

While the rest of the world graduates engineers, we keep producing lawyers and Education degrees.

While the UAW brings American Auto Production and innovation to a virtual STOP, While they bankrupt our domestic Companies, the Germans are paying their Auto Workers DOUBLE what we pay ours and producing cars like THIS...

A hybrid. A fucking hybrid that just broke the record at Nurburgring. And no, it's not a concept car.... It's real.

dimocraps and their disgusting minions in Unions, Academia, the legal profession, politics and Pop Culture have brought this Country to its knees

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AuhjpQPs1M]918 Nürburgring onboard record lap - YouTube[/ame]

Rocks, we have the ability right now to kick the Russians to the curb, SpaceX and several other domestic companies have proven launch capabilities and Dragon is actually man rated. So the deal here is, you have a contractor ULA who decided to sell rockets to the Air Force and NASA on the cheap and NASA managers as usual who looked for the cheapest ride and didn't care where it came from,. The station itself though by the time 2020 rolls around will be 2 years past its lifespan and I for one think , it should , at least all the American built parts deorbited, and if that happens it will render the ISS unusable and force NASA to actually start to think again rather than just plan for the next ride to the station. The other issue here is the political one, and that is, you have various Presidents and Congress who have basically looked the other way or just looked at NASA and Space a budget cutting tool and now we find ourselves at the mercy of a nation who has never cared much for us all in the name of looking for the cheapest part. It's about time we the taxpayers demand our money be spent here.

Putting money into major companies is supporting the evil corporations. The money will be redistributed to crack addicts rather than our own industry.

We do however fully support Mexican drug dealers.

Falcon Heavy is the world’s most powerful rocket, a launch vehicle of scale and capability unequaled by any other currently flying. With the ability to lift into orbit over 53 metric tons (117,000 lb)--a mass equivalent to a 737 jetliner loaded with passengers, crew, luggage and fuel--Falcon Heavy can lift more than twice the payload of the next closest operational vehicle, the Delta IV Heavy, at one-third the cost. Falcon Heavy draws upon the proven heritage
Falcon Heavy | SpaceX

"Our Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy launch vehicles are truly made in America. We design and manufacture the rockets in California and Texas, with key suppliers throughout the country, and launch them from either Vandenberg AFB or Cape Canaveral AFS. This stands in stark contrast to the United Launch Alliance's (ULA) most frequently flown vehicle, the Atlas V, which uses a Russian main engine and where approximately half the airframe is manufactured overseas," Musk said to the Senate Committee on Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense
Space X CEO Elon Musk uses Made In America speech to drum up U.S. Defense business : BIZ TECH : Tech Times

The problem with NASA and the Air Force in general is this, you have a very close connection with ULA that cause the Air Force to block buy launches on the Atlas V which uses the Russian RD-180 engine which ULA used because it was cheaper than having Rocketdyne make one domestically. The other issue you have here is through mismanagement and and plain laziness on the part of our Govt. and NASA they never developed a follow-on to the Shuttle that flew for over 20 years. So someone at NASA rather than advocate for a domestic replacement got the bright idea that we could rent rides with Russia for the short term.

Putting money into major companies is supporting the evil corporations. The money will be redistributed to crack addicts rather than our own industry.

Navy is addressing the issue. I suggest you do the same. It will take a lot of money to get back to where we were. If you are not willing to spend the money, we will not get there. Now do you support investing in our space program, or are you just flapping yap?

Russia is to deny the US future use of the International Space Station beyond 2020 and will also bar its rocket engines from launching US military satellites as it hits back at American sanctions imposed over Ukraine crisis.
Russia’s deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin announced a series of punitive measures on Tuesday against the US in response to sanctions imposed after Russia annexed Crimea

Forgive me if this is a duplicate post , having said this, several things come to mind here. The first thing is it just brings into an even brighter light how far we as a nation have let our domestic space program fall. Even to the point where the Air Force has to buy rocket engines made in Russia and the Obama Administration has to mount a campaign to keep them going and at the same time tout sanctions against Russia. The ISS was about 90 percent constructed and funded by the American taxpayers, and on a personal level even though this might seem like a bad thing, it might finally provide a much needed kick in the backsides of those who need it here badly that there are some things you just dont outsource.

First line of your souce:

Russia is to deny the US future use of the International Space Station beyond 2020

Over 5 years away if that.

How do you propose we build anything? By importing more and more engineers from places like India and Malaysia?

Did you know that we didn't even know how to build a Nuclear Power Plant until we brought in Japanese and French Engineers to teach us about a technology that WE invented?

While the rest of the world graduates engineers, we keep producing lawyers and Education degrees.

While the UAW brings American Auto Production and innovation to a virtual STOP, While they bankrupt our domestic Companies, the Germans are paying their Auto Workers DOUBLE what we pay ours and producing cars like THIS...

A hybrid. A fucking hybrid that just broke the record at Nurburgring. And no, it's not a concept car.... It's real.

dimocraps and their disgusting minions in Unions, Academia, the legal profession, politics and Pop Culture have brought this Country to its knees

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AuhjpQPs1M]918 Nürburgring onboard record lap - YouTube[/ame]

So you like dissing everything American. See Navy's post on what has already been built right here in the US. Time to use what we have.

Russia is to deny the US future use of the International Space Station beyond 2020

Sheesh. I wish they had left that line out. You see, I really think we should do it on our own, and rent to other nations that want in on it.

Navy is addressing the issue. I suggest you do the same. It will take a lot of money to get back to where we were. If you are not willing to spend the money, we will not get there. Now do you support investing in our space program, or are you just flapping yap?
I'm more than willing to fund a space program because it brings back more than it costs in the long term. However, we have no money so to fund it, we will of a necessity, have to take funds from elsewhere.

I propose that for every dollar we invest in space, we cut 1.25 from a domestic program. This will help pay for the investment and give us a start on deficit and debt reduction.

Bet you shop at wallyworld so you can buy lots of plastic crap made in China.

I don't think that is in dispute here , but 5 years in development of spaceflight is not a long time. While to you and mean it might seem that way , its not very long. Here is in an example, Space X was founded in 2002, its first rocket Falcon I was in 2008 6 years later. So 2020 is not a long time in terms of development of a manned space vehicle to replace the ones we are renting from Russia. That said, these companies, SpaceX , Sierra Nevada, and others already are pretty far in the development and flight of a manned space program. My issue here is that in announcing a cut off, it might provide a much needed kick in the backside NASA and the our Govt. needs to finally pull our domestic space program out of a long sleep.

I'm more than willing to fund a space program because it brings back more than it costs in the long term. However, we have no money so to fund it, we will of a necessity, have to take funds from elsewhere.

I propose that for every dollar we invest in space, we cut 1.25 from a domestic program. This will help pay for the investment and give us a start on deficit and debt reduction.

That's Russia's thinking as well - starve the citizens and trash their economy.

I am in favor of dismantling everything democrats have done, take the money now being spent on losers like obamacare and make an attempt to rebuild the country.

WASHINGTON - NASA Administrator Charles Bolden told Congress today he will recommend canceling the Space Launch System and Orion capsule programs if Russia stops American astronaut rides to the International Space Station any time soon and before U.S. companies are ready to do the job.

Bolden said the space station would probably have to be shut down without Russian transport, and in that case, "I would go to the president and recommend we terminate SLS and Orion."
NASA administrator says cancel Space Launch System, Orion if Russia stops U.S. astronaut rides | AL.com

All future funding issues aside here, as a taxpayer, I would much prefer my tax dollars be spent here at home and not on programs that NASA starts and stops after spending billions because of poor planning and operating on the cheap. See Ares from the previous Administration, same thing, Ares was the follow-on the Shuttle that the Bush Administration had proposed as a means to go back to the moon and beyond which led to the development of Orion which is the only part NASA kept.

I am in favor of dismantling everything democrats have done, take the money now being spent on losers like obamacare and make an attempt to rebuild the country.

In other words, you are just bitching, and do not intend to support a US Space Program. I will support any good funding program for a renewed Space Exploration Program, irregardless of which party serves it up.

THey aren't the exclusive owner. Can they do that?

Its a lot of bluster which is par for the course for Russia, however look at it this way, we rent rides on Soyuz Russian made Rockets at the moment. So if we fail to fund our own domestic manned program or companies who are ready to do it that are all American made and Russia cuts off the rentals. Then in effect, we have no way to get to the several billion dollar station we the taxpayers paid for. Now that will leave Russia the task though to maintain it and thats going to cost them a LOT as they do not make 90% of the replacement parts it takes to keep it running, so for the most part its typical Russian bluster. The station itself though has little if any long term value for American Space other than as a deep space launch platform, so that is why I proposed if Russia were to do such a thing , just "deorbit" the thing.

she is just flapping yap.....she does this quite often......

Forum List

Back