Same bullshit, different decade: What members of the gay rights movement could learn from history

Obviously the gays are ...since they latched on to the black civil rights movement to make it seem like their plight is worse than it is.
Nonsense.

Gay Americans are entitled to the same Constitutional protections as everyone else, separate and apart from any other class of persons – the right to due process and the right to equal protection of the law, where seeking to deny same-sex couples access to marriage law they're eligible to participate in violates the 14th Amendment.

What constitutional protections do they not have?

The civil right to marry. In 13 states anyway. Their constitutional protection to be treated equally under the law.

That's it??

Isn't that enough? How many rights and constitutional protections must be stripped before you would warrant it worthy of note or action?[/QUOTE]

Don't have to sit at the back of the bus, use a gay only water fountain, only enter through back doors and alley ways, denied the right to vote? Anything ... Anything at all to justify your destroying peoples livelihoods just because you disagree with them?

Don't have to sit at the back of the bus, use a gay only water fountain, only enter through back doors and alley ways, denied the right to vote? Anything ... Anything at all to justify your destroying peoples livelihoods just because you disagree with them?
Baking the cake is their job not their faith, so, bake the fuckin' cake, it's what they do...

Obviously the gays are ...since they latched on to the black civil rights movement to make it seem like their plight is worse than it is.
Nonsense.

Gay Americans are entitled to the same Constitutional protections as everyone else, separate and apart from any other class of persons – the right to due process and the right to equal protection of the law, where seeking to deny same-sex couples access to marriage law they're eligible to participate in violates the 14th Amendment.

What constitutional protections do they not have?

The civil right to marry. In 13 states anyway. Their constitutional protection to be treated equally under the law.

That's it??

Isn't that enough? How many rights and constitutional protections must be stripped before you would warrant it worthy of note or action?

Don't have to sit at the back of the bus, use a gay only water fountain, only enter through back doors and alley ways, denied the right to vote? Anything ... Anything at all to justify your destroying peoples livelihoods just because you disagree with them?[/QUOTE]

Gays were openly discriminated against in our society. Arrested for consensual sexual activity. Beaten and murdered with the persecutor set free. Denied housing and employment

TK isn't interested in any argument that doesn't buttress his own sense of victimization. What a fucking crybaby.

Interesting, coming from the party who invented the "victim mentality."

Housing: Denied marriage, couples of lesser means are not recognized and thus can be denied or disfavored in their applications for public housing.

I don't see any gay people living on the streets. Do you? Nor do I hear any of them complaining about being homeless.

Housing: Denied marriage, couples of lesser means are not recognized and thus can be denied or disfavored in their applications for public housing.

I don't see any gay people living on the streets. Do you? Nor do I hear any of them complaining about being homeless.

Yet for years they were denied housing on the basis of their sexuality. Imagine refusing to rent to a gay couple

Yet for years they were denied housing on the basis of their sexuality. Imagine refusing to rent to a gay couple
That's still out there, they live in sin.

I often see them comparing the gay struggle for equality to that of the African American struggle for racial equality, "same bullshit, different decade" they contend. Well, true, but not in the way they think. The comparison is flawed, for two reasons.

Yeah, I know what's coming too, the standard volley of how "gays should be allowed to marry" or "why do you hate gays?" or the run of the mill cherrypicked Bible verse or two. I've seen it all pretty much. The whole playbook. So for those of you intent on repeating that tired rhetoric, can it.

The short version:

Reason 1: Martin Luther King sought understanding through tolerance and understanding during the Civil Rights movement. In fact, he didn't speak in terms of tolerance, but of love, a Christian based love. He employed a doctrine passivity, not subversion. Even in the face of having the lives his and his fellow African Americans torn apart by racist sentiments and policies, they chose not to do the same to their oppressors. This attitude allowed for no further division of an already helplessly, racially divided America.

Reason 2: Homosexual and Liberal gay rights activists want to force you to be understanding and tolerant of their cause for equality, without ever being understanding or tolerant themselves. Amounting to nothing more than a vengeful, subversive doctrine of unyielding, unwavering tolerance at whatever cost; to be especially employed towards Christian private business owners. This allows for further division between them and those the LGBT rights movement is trying to reach.

The rest of it:

For King, nothing would ever advance the cause of equality by repaying intolerance with intolerance, hatred with hatred, or violence with violence. "Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that," he said. That however is in stark contrast to how the gay rights movement has decided to react to the assumed hatred and bigotry on the behalf of religious private business owners.

The Kingsian philosophy of tolerance, passivity and nonviolence consisted of six main principles:

1) First he said, one can resist evil without resorting to violence.

2) Second, nonviolence seeks to win the ‘‘friendship and understanding’’ of the opponent, not to humiliate him (King, Stride, p.84).

3) Furthermore, third, evil itself, not the people committing evil acts, should be opposed.

4) Fourth, he continued, is that those committed to nonviolence must be willing to suffer without retaliation as suffering itself can be redemptive.

5) Fifthly, nonviolent resistance avoids ‘‘external physical violence’’ and ‘‘internal violence of spirit’’ as well: ‘‘The nonviolent resister not only refuses to shoot his opponent but he also refuses to hate him" (King, Stride, p.85). The resister should be motivated by love in the sense of the Greek word agape, which means ‘‘understanding,’’ or ‘‘redeeming good will for all men’’ (King, Stride, p.86).

6) Lastly, he states the sixth principle, which was that the nonviolent resister should have a ‘‘deep faith in the future,’’ stemming from the conviction that ‘‘the universe is on the side of justice’’ (King, Stride, p.88).

King held the philosophy akin to the old folk hymn, "keep your eyes on the prize." To be frank, that prize wasn't putting some unwitting business owner out on the street for being racist or intolerant. Yeah, business owners were racist and intolerant back then, but not even they (the blacks, and most of them I'd think) thought it was okay to ruin someone, besides, what were they going to do? Sue every Tom, Dick, and Harry who discriminated against them? Not really. Such a movement spurred Congress to end the discussion on racial inequality once and for all, you know the rest.

If only gay rights activists and liberal pro gay rights activists took the approach specifically covered in the third, fourth and fifth principle, I would guarantee that there would be a more broad understanding and sympathy towards gay rights and equality, moreso than exists at this point in time.

Violence

a : exertion of physical force so as to injure or abuse

Non-violence does NOT mean silence.

There is no violence from the LGBT movement. But there is a long history of violence AGAINST the LGBT community.

You are a real asshole, and obsessed with this issue.

“We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason if we remember that we are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes which were, for the moment, unpopular.”
Edward R. Murrow

Perhaps you should try reading harder. Amongst King's principles were acts of passivity, namely things that avoided "humiliation" and "violence of the spirit." Instead of wanting to take someone down (not through violence) refuse to hate them. A lot of applications that can be used today.

You don't understand the deeper context of these principles, do you?

I'm not asking LGBT people to be silent, I'm asking them to be civil. That's it.

Isn't that enough? How many rights and constitutional protections must be stripped before you would warrant it worthy of note or action?

There are a lot of Christian business owners asking the same question.

Business isn't faith, it's the making of filthy lucre. You know, the kind the Christians were told not to care about...

1 Timothy 3:3
Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

(sarcasm)
And let us not forget....
Once man can marry man
Woman can marry woman

Soon, rats will marry cats
Dogs will marry hogs
Apes will marry grapes
Bees will marry trees
and snakes will marry rakes.

Thats the slippery slope, read it weep!!

Oh, and let us not talk about adoption. then rats will adopt....:booze:

REDFISH SAID: ↑

Yes, we do, so lets let our "representatives" vote. Lets process a constitutional amendment making gay marriage legal in all states, then see if you can get 38 states to ratify it.

A matter like this should not be decided by 9 unelected old farts in black robes.

This is ignorant, ridiculous nonsense.

There is no such thing as 'gay marriage,' there is only one marriage law in each of the 50 states, marriage law that can accommodate either same- or opposite-sex couples; there can't be a proposed 'amendment' concerning something that doesn't exist.

Moreover, this is not a 'National' issue, this is an issue between same-sex couples and their states of residence, where those states have sought to deny gay Americans their right to due process and equal protection of the law in violation of the 14th Amendment.

And the states alone can end this issue by obeying the Constitution and allowing same-sex couples to access marriage law they're eligible to participate in.

Last, you and others on the right weren't upset when “9 unelected old farts in black robes” decided that there was individual right to possess a handgun, pursuant to the right to self defense, where neither 'individual' nor 'self-defense' can be found anywhere in the Second Amendment.

TK isn't interested in any argument that doesn't buttress his own sense of victimization. What a fucking crybaby.

Lately...that's the GOP.

We aren't the ones calling people bigots when someone hurts a gay couple's feelings. We don't call people racist when someone talks about the illegal immigration or issues dealing with cops. We don't resort to calling people misogynist when they dare to tackle women's issues.

Look, I know you like to play the victim, but in reality you do more victimizing than anything else. We call it identity politics.

Then they need to work to get rid of PA laws....what organizations to repeal such laws have been formed? How does one sign up for one of these organizations? Where are the petition drives? Where are the lobbyists working with legislators to repeal those PA laws?

WELL?

Lately...that's the GOP.

We aren't the ones calling people bigots when someone hurts a gay couple's feelings. We don't call people racist when someone talks about the illegal immigration or issues dealing with cops. We don't resort to calling people misogynist when they dare to tackle women's issues.

Look, I know you like to play the victim, but in reality you do more victimizing than anything else. We call it identity politics.
How am I playing the victim? I'm not the one crying all over this thread.

I often see them comparing the gay struggle for equality to that of the African American struggle for racial equality, "same bullshit, different decade" they contend. Well, true, but not in the way they think. The comparison is flawed, for two reasons.

Yeah, I know what's coming too, the standard volley of how "gays should be allowed to marry" or "why do you hate gays?" or the run of the mill cherrypicked Bible verse or two. I've seen it all pretty much. The whole playbook. So for those of you intent on repeating that tired rhetoric, can it.

The short version:

Reason 1: Martin Luther King sought understanding through tolerance and understanding during the Civil Rights movement. In fact, he didn't speak in terms of tolerance, but of love, a Christian based love. He employed a doctrine passivity, not subversion. Even in the face of having the lives his and his fellow African Americans torn apart by racist sentiments and policies, they chose not to do the same to their oppressors. This attitude allowed for no further division of an already helplessly, racially divided America.

Reason 2: Homosexual and Liberal gay rights activists want to force you to be understanding and tolerant of their cause for equality, without ever being understanding or tolerant themselves. Amounting to nothing more than a vengeful, subversive doctrine of unyielding, unwavering tolerance at whatever cost; to be especially employed towards Christian private business owners. This allows for further division between them and those the LGBT rights movement is trying to reach.

The rest of it:

For King, nothing would ever advance the cause of equality by repaying intolerance with intolerance, hatred with hatred, or violence with violence. "Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that," he said. That however is in stark contrast to how the gay rights movement has decided to react to the assumed hatred and bigotry on the behalf of religious private business owners.

The Kingsian philosophy of tolerance, passivity and nonviolence consisted of six main principles:

1) First he said, one can resist evil without resorting to violence.

2) Second, nonviolence seeks to win the ‘‘friendship and understanding’’ of the opponent, not to humiliate him (King, Stride, p.84).

3) Furthermore, third, evil itself, not the people committing evil acts, should be opposed.

4) Fourth, he continued, is that those committed to nonviolence must be willing to suffer without retaliation as suffering itself can be redemptive.

5) Fifthly, nonviolent resistance avoids ‘‘external physical violence’’ and ‘‘internal violence of spirit’’ as well: ‘‘The nonviolent resister not only refuses to shoot his opponent but he also refuses to hate him" (King, Stride, p.85). The resister should be motivated by love in the sense of the Greek word agape, which means ‘‘understanding,’’ or ‘‘redeeming good will for all men’’ (King, Stride, p.86).

6) Lastly, he states the sixth principle, which was that the nonviolent resister should have a ‘‘deep faith in the future,’’ stemming from the conviction that ‘‘the universe is on the side of justice’’ (King, Stride, p.88).

King held the philosophy akin to the old folk hymn, "keep your eyes on the prize." To be frank, that prize wasn't putting some unwitting business owner out on the street for being racist or intolerant. Yeah, business owners were racist and intolerant back then, but not even they (the blacks, and most of them I'd think) thought it was okay to ruin someone, besides, what were they going to do? Sue every Tom, Dick, and Harry who discriminated against them? Not really. Such a movement spurred Congress to end the discussion on racial inequality once and for all, you know the rest.

If only gay rights activists and liberal pro gay rights activists took the approach specifically covered in the third, fourth and fifth principle, I would guarantee that there would be a more broad understanding and sympathy towards gay rights and equality, moreso than exists at this point in time.

Violence

a : exertion of physical force so as to injure or abuse

Non-violence does NOT mean silence.

There is no violence from the LGBT movement. But there is a long history of violence AGAINST the LGBT community.

You are a real asshole, and obsessed with this issue.

“We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason if we remember that we are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes which were, for the moment, unpopular.”
Edward R. Murrow

Perhaps you should try reading harder. Amongst King's principles were acts of passivity, namely things that avoided "humiliation" and "violence of the spirit." Instead of wanting to take someone down (not through violence) refuse to hate them. A lot of applications that can be used today.

You don't understand the deeper context of these principles, do you?

I'm not asking LGBT people to be silent, I'm asking them to be civil. That's it.

Homosexuals have gotten where they are today through nonviolent protest, media involvement, gaining public support for their cause, the court system

Dr King would be proud

Lately...that's the GOP.

How am I playing the victim? I'm not the one crying all over this thread.
Equal rights are so unfair, to those who don't want others to be equal...

I am not a member of the Democratic Party.

I hope one day Christians in this nation will get a fair shake. Perhaps one day they'll be allowed to worship freely, have churches in every in town, and maybe even get to elected President. I hope I live to see that glorious day.

Forum List

Back